Is TikTok at the beginning of its decline

smartalek22

People on this site seem to talk about tiktok from purely a music perspective. It's not all about viral songs and trends. I do think that side of thing has calmed down a lot, no one has time to learn the latest tiktok dance and the influencers who were big in 2020 feel a lot more irrelevant now.

But the app has a lot more longer form content based around a whole variety of topics and this hasn't shown any signs of slowing down.

• Like 1

A lot of the creators from 2019-2021 have millions of followers but there videos gets like 500 views now. You don't really get an audience there like u do with YouTube or Instagram. If anything tiktok should just be used a stepping stone for bigger and better things because you bece irrelevant quickly. Who even gives a **** about the dimelios now? 

• Like 1

The reality is that the userbase has evolved over the years. The Vine-esque aspect of the app (that some people think is all it offers) is increasingly sharing space with other diverse, sometimes isolated communities. Reminiscent of Reddit. 

Honestly, I would have never joined the app in the original years but I've been loving it as of recently. There is so much informative, creative content out there. If you're getting bored of the vapid, attention-seekers, it's cause the algorithm doesn't think you're interested in anything else. 

Yes and ATRL is known for not realising this type of things so they will all comment no 

I don't rly think so. I haven't seen the stats in a while but it's overtook Instagram as the #1 app among teens and young adults. I still use it but not nearly as much as I used to. 2019/2020 TikTok was EVERYTHING. The trends were great, the content, etc. It's just way too oversaturated now.

24 minutes ago, Distantconstellation said:

A lot of the creators from 2019-2021 have millions of followers but there videos gets like 500 views now. You don't really get an audience there like u do with YouTube or Instagram. If anything tiktok should just be used a stepping stone for bigger and better things because you bece irrelevant quickly. Who even gives a **** about the dimelios now? 

Yep but a lot of those creators are having a hard time transferring their TikTok fame to other platforms. You have a few who got lucky like Noah Beck, Charli, Addison Rae, etc. but there's a VERY small number of them. TikTok for some reason just isn't easy to translate to other platforms from.

I deleted it months ago so in my world it's over, but I'm sure kids are still on there making it big. The 2020 Tiktoker -> celebrity pipeline is over though.

2 hours ago, Pop said:

Shorts and Reels still failing to keep up 

That's also not true because they were never at parity with TT to begin with, but both are seeing massive increases in users and this will likely continue for years.

I believe the numbers and TT isn't declining in popularity, but its cultural relevance has sort of nosedived.  The biggest issue (which I've always said) is that other existing and more popular platforms with long-term dedicated user bases, like IG, YouTube, and even Fb, are giving users less of a reason to open TT. 

Also, TT's recommendations are starting to get very spammy and just weird, I don't know if they changed something, but half of the videos on the suggested feed are cringe.

• Like 2

Honestly...I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. The numbers may be increasing still, but its cultural dominance doesn't feel as inescapable as it did last year, which in my opinion was its peak.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just because I don't use Tiktok that much but it doesn't seem like it's in its decline at all ? At most it's plateauing its peak. 

Do you remember those articles in 2013-2014 with headlines like “This is why Facebook will disappear by 2016”??? 

Same vibes. 

2 hours ago, getBusy said:

Do you remember those articles in 2013-2014 with headlines like “This is why Facebook will disappear by 2016”??? 

Same vibes. 

I mean

PJ_2022.08.10_teens-and-tech_0-02.png

PJ_2022.08.10_teens-and-tech_0-10.png

Facebook is pretty irrelevant these days... unless you're talking the Boomer crowd which means Facebook is still taking in less money because advertisers don't care as much about that demo. TikTok is here to stay tho IMO. I see IG dying out before TikTok.

Edited by imabadkid

55 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

Facebook is pretty irrelevant these days... unless you're talking the Boomer crowd which means Facebook is still taking in less money because advertisers don't care as much about that demo. TikTok is here to stay tho IMO. I see IG dying out before TikTok

Except… it’s not. The app is currently at an all-time peak in users (more than 2 billion daily users, which is WILD). 

On 9/9/2023 at 5:25 AM, PoKiTaurus said:

Part of it is that t*ktok barely pays any money to its creators I think. 

LilSimsie, a famous sims youtuber went viral on t*ktok and she said she was shocked how little they paid her compared to YouTube. She straight up said she has no idea how can people keep trying to do viral t*ktoks when the pay is so bad. 

that's actually good and maybe that's why tiktok is funnier and more raw because ever since people started making youtube their job it was instantly not fun anymore. ESPECIALLY with sims youtubers and how they constantly obviously make contents not for the community but for EA and for money :skull: they're some of the worst content creators i've seen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 10:27 PM, Gesamtkunstwerk said:

Maybe it's just because I don't use Tiktok that much but it doesn't seem like it's in its decline at all ? At most it's plateauing its peak. 

i agree. i think it's also because not much is happening these days but when the submarine thing happened tiktok was literally on fire and so many memes came out of it :rip:

a lot if not most trends are starting on tiktok as well

On 9/8/2023 at 4:08 PM, Devin said:

The peak was 2020. I’m glad its dying.

It's definitely bigger in 2023 than 2020:rip:

It's just different since that was the year of the pandemic

On 9/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, Trent W said:

It’s not declining but not the big thing anymore

IG is kind of recovering some territory this year

The problem with tik tok is that it’s only temporal fame for its creators and after some time most have a massive decline in reach so they stop using it

The content has been slower this year there 

Thank you for saying this. I don’t care what data spin their PR firms give out.

I joined tiktok right before covid so I definitely have seen the app change ENTIRELY since then to now. Back then it was way more about dancing, music, and all the other sectors of tiktok were so minor. That dynamic flipped but it came at a cost. 

(Throwing a fat storytime under but my last paragraph sums up again)

Spoiler

Charli, the hype houses, all that stuff has fizzled mostly. They’ll still get views but they’re not crossing over mainstream at all or even to YouTube/other platforms. That’s a huge problem. The only platform tiktokers are successfully crossing over to is IG which is ironic since tiktok was supposed to “kill” IG off and it’s not. They’re more supplement apps now than anything else. 

The content creation is so weak from the main “influencers” on tiktok this year, and some post infrequently now. Even the original king Tony Lopez has turned to OF. Tiktok is not going to die but it’ll not have the same hold it had during Covid. It just does not feel the same. Even I find myself back on twitter and even this awful site after years of being more interested by tiktok.

If anything, tiktok just inspires people to waste more money now and they’re pushing titkok shop hard too. They’re acknowledging the main use of the app is not as profitable and lasting as shopping or streaming music. 

I guess more and more people realise how that app created bad habits and give useless and healty peaks of dopamine....

Tik tok will die with gen-z  there already stats that show gen-alpha streaming YouTube shorts more than tik tok or even Disney plus. 

I see tik tok becoming the new Facebook soon or even snap where once it was massive and it just started to decline  over the years. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.