Is PTTR shaping up to be a bigger hit than Bodak Yellow?

DeepEnd

Bigger hit   

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the bigger hit?

• Paint The Town Red
    • Bodak Yellow

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• professor2000

• Relampago.

• Material Girl

• DeepEnd

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these women is an immensely talented rapper/artist/musician so I voted for her. Talent usually wins in the end. :foxaylove2:

Edited by Century
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Globally, it already is. 

• Like 2

BY is extremely local, so yes

it’s kinda weird to act like pttr is a hip hop song when it’s definitely in more of a pop/melodic lane 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Material Girl said:

it’s kinda weird to act like pttr is a hip hop song when it’s definitely in more of a pop/melodic lane 

Y’all are so corny. Since when couldn’t rap songs be melodic? :ahh:

If that’s the case Tupac and Biggies biggest songs are not hip hop. Especially Biggie’s, the chorus is sung by a women…….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CristianGarcia said:

Y’all are so corny. Since when couldn’t rap songs be melodic? :ahh:

If that’s the case Tupac and Biggies biggest songs are not hip hop. Especially Biggie’s, the chorus is sung by a women…….

i think it’s corny to compare a hip hop song like bodak yellow to a pop song like pttr but here we are

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

WW PTTR

US BY

Idk but I heard BY everywhere and Cardi was being talked about by everyone. Idk if PTTR is being carried by TT or what but I haven’t actually heard anyone talking about it but it’s smashing hard. I’ve seen a few dance videos on TT though so I guess that’s where it’s coming from 

• Like 1

Not sure about the US but PTTR is already bigger in the rest of the world.

41 minutes ago, Material Girl said:

If someone like Lisa from Blackpink released PTTR nobody would act like its a hip hop song

It's not really a different genre to Lisa's Money

The only reason why anyone would consider PTTR a hiphop or rap song is because Doja sometimes acts like she's too good to be labelled as pop and because Doja is half black she is is less likely to be labelled as pop

• Like 2

PTTR is one of the most global rap songs ever, so that. In the US BY will be more popular for a while

48 minutes ago, Material Girl said:

It’s definitely considered Rap though.  It’s her first #1 on Billboard Rap Singles charts.

It’s not traditional hip-hop, but neither is BY.  :michael:

I think Doja’s history with Pop might've helped in terms of name recognition + familiarity though (especially globally).

• Like 1

But to answer the question…I don’t even remember BY stats atp.  Feels like such a long time ago.  

33 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

If someone like Lisa from Blackpink released PTTR nobody would act like its a hip hop song

The only reason why anyone would consider PTTR a hiphop or rap song is because Doja sometimes acts like she's too good to be labelled as pop and because Doja is half black she is is less likely to be labelled as pop

Money is a rap song as well :giraffe:

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

Yet only one of these songs charted on Rap charts (singles and Urban airplay).  :celestial5: #1 on Billboard Rap charts in fact (her first).  

Like I get where people are trying to go with that comparison (and Fergie comparison other ppl make), but it doesn’t 100% make sense.  

Firstly…neither of them (Fergie/Lisa) are featured as rappers on other ppls songs, neither of them have earned multiple solo Rap award nominations, get solo Urban radio play.  Meaning: There are more instances where Doja appears as a rapper vs. just a Pop star that sometimes raps…especially in comparison to them.   :michael:

Secondly…Doja is just the type of multi-genre artist where you have to take it song-by-song.  Just like “Streets” is definitely R&B.  “Boss *****” is definitely Dance.  IMO, “PTTR” is Rap and it seems most of industry is falling in line with that notion so far.  “PTTR” and “Demons” are even produced by ppl who do primarily Hip Hop/Rap too.  :biblio:

It’s just the first time Rap is her radio single (debatable: NTK + Vegas).  

It just feels like atp, she could drop a 100% boom bap single + people would still call it Pop.  :skull:  Like people are dead set on viewing her that way.  

Edited by professor2000
  • Like 3

Not people saying this is not rap :deadbanana2:Never change ATRL 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lord Gaga said:

Not people saying this is not rap :deadbanana2:Never change ATRL 

the way they to push the narrative a rap song is more prestige than a pop song lol.

A good song is a good song, who the hell cares?

Not to mention PTTR is clearly a rap song , Doja is one of a few rapper can actually sing her hook but doesnt mean she cannot rap. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.