Music critic: "Taylor massively overhyped. Critics afraid of backlash from Swifities"

brazil

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enrique523

• GraceRandolph

• The Music Industry

• byzantium

2 minutes ago, Brunette Ambition said:

I agree. I know like 5 songs by her and I think there’s nothing interesting about it. To each their own, but yeah. Overhyped imo 

And who asked you? You are totally proving the point: « I don’t like what she does so she is overhyped and people are afraid to drag her!!!! » :dies: 

13 minutes ago, brazil said:

Thats precisely what she addresses in the article tho

To me, Taylor Swift is just fine. And there will be plenty more like her. But somehow the universe is in a collective trance, unable to admit it.

If you read the New York Times this week, you will have seen a dance critic call Taylor’s moves ‘simple and unoriginal’, ‘stiff and awkward’, ‘imprecise and physically uncommitted’, yet still reach the conclusion that this parade of gawkiness is ‘powerful’, and ‘exceptionally effective’.

(...)

They hit the spot with this tbh. Taylor Swift is fine for what she is, but somehow she has been masquerading as something she is not and her legions of fans have deluded themselves into believing it. To me, she is not different than somebody like Carly Rae Jepsen. Somebody who is very passionate about music and can create good records, which are not particularly forward thinking or pushing any boundaries and that's pretty much it. Very little star quality in both cases, yet the difference in levels of fame between the two is astronomical.

Anyone with a rational and critical mind can see that the relation between Taylor swift's actual talent and artistic output and her commercial success is highly disproportional. 

Edited by AxelFox
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 14

I partly agree, critics are afraid to voice their opinions because of fanbase' reaction.

Taylor Swift is the most successful artist right now and what she is doing is unparalleled but that does not detract from the fact she's not a great singer or dancer. And that's fact.

• Like 5

critics are afraid of online backlash from any mainstream artist nowadays, that's true. it's why ratings are more optimistic and positive. I agree that it's more apparent with Taylor because of her dominance and highly powerful fandom.

• Like 1

I've read the whole article. The parts where she's criticizing and saying she doesn't get it is fine, but there are parts that are just so problematic.

She plays the guitar, piano, ukulele and the banjo. She treats her staff very well – reportedly dishing out six-figure bonuses to tour crew earlier this month – and is known for being generous.

She probably also volunteers at the soup kitchen on weekends and spends thousands of dollars a month sponsoring orphans. She is perfect! She is God!

But this is the main reason I take such aversion to her; Taylor Swift is a wonderfully crafted marketing ploy. She is a character and she isn’t real.

So the entire reason she doesn't like Taylor is because she doesn't have anything to hate her for? Also, as if any mainstream artist is not a character, please. :rip:

It’s genius, really — this undoubted, female, commercial success story worth a staggering $740 million and counting, and she’s never so much as had a stint in rehab or a prescription pill problem.

Is that why she leaves me feeling nothing? The lack of grit, the ingredient that made me obsess over Miley Cyrus or admire Britney Spears.

So she needs an artist to have a breakdown to be obsessed with them? Like am I the only one finding that deranged? 

The entire article reads like an ATRL meltdown ngl :rip:

Edited by Klein
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 13
  • Thumbs Down 1

Overhyped isn't a bad thing, her vocals are basic yes, but she pushes her brand as hard as she can, in mainstream commercial music who else is gonna be put on a pedestal, maybe Billie, but It's too soon and not that gp friendly, Rihanna is scared to flop up and bayonce gave up, its Taylor's time to shine.

Jon Caramanica of the NYT said the same thing. 

i mean as someone who does really like taylor i feel like it’s very obvious that there’s been a massive shift in media coverage of her after folklore came out… like publications are definitely nowhere near as comfortable as criticizing her or posting bad reviews as they used to be. the negative reviews for reputation and lover are way more scathing than any of the more neutral ones for midnights like the pitchfork one… i feel like publications really just don’t want to get obliterated for giving criticism (warranted or not) since her fan base is much more giant than it used to be (when it was still huge) :swan:

• Like 2

Kara isn't wrong. Taylor is nothing spectacular when it comes to entertaining or singing and her writing is one note and lackluster at best. A lot of Swifties are racists and bigots so her feelings are valid and warranted. also, Taylor Swift fans do not take kindly to criticism of any kind.  

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 13

18 minutes ago, brazil said:

Thats precisely what she addresses in the article tho

But when it comes to Swift, I have never understood it. And as her fandom grows ever more deranged, as the media flocks to her side en masse, publishing breathless op-eds about how she is single handedly fending off the US recession with a tour that is predicted to fetch a record-busting $1.4 billion, or how her massing fans have caused literal ‘earthquakes’ at stadium venues (fact check: these tremors are a common occurrence with big stadium tours and sports games), I can’t help but think that this deification of Taylor Swift is neither healthy – nor deserved.

To me, Taylor Swift is just fine. And there will be plenty more like her. But somehow the universe is in a collective trance, unable to admit it.

If you read the New York Times this week, you will have seen a dance critic call Taylor’s moves ‘simple and unoriginal’, ‘stiff and awkward’, ‘imprecise and physically uncommitted’, yet still reach the conclusion that this parade of gawkiness is ‘powerful’, and ‘exceptionally effective’.

(...)

This lady things earthquakes at football games are common? This is the entire list ...

Edited by Walk_Away21

8 minutes ago, Brunette Ambition said:

I agree. I know like 5 songs by her and I think there’s nothing interesting about it. To each their own, but yeah. Overhyped imo 

Lucky the world doesn’t revolves around you and there are millions of people who indeed love her music. I don’t like many artists beloved here, does that mean everyone who likes them are wrong and I am in the right side?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kim Petrat said:

i mean as someone who does really like taylor i feel like it’s very obvious that there’s been a massive shift in media coverage of her after folklore came out… like publications are definitely nowhere near as comfortable as criticizing her or posting bad reviews as they used to be. the negative reviews for reputation and lover are way more scathing than any of the more neutral ones for midnights like the pitchfork one… i feel like publications really just don’t want to get obliterated for giving criticism (warranted or not) since her fan base is much more giant than it used to be (when it was still huge) :swan:

I genuinely feel that's an industry-wide problem where mainstream publications just don't give big artists bad reviews any more. Literally every Olivia review I've read has been glowing so far, for example. I know we hate Pitchfork here but they do go in HARD on people they don't like and it's perversely refreshing (poor Ed Sheeran though).

1 minute ago, mons†er said:

Kara isn't wrong. Taylor is nothing spectacular when it comes to entertaining or singing and her writing is one note and lackluster at best. A lot of Swifties are racists and bigots so her feelings are valid and warranted. also, Taylor Swift fans do not take kindly to criticism of any kind.  

Girl you can't just lob this out with ZERO evidence. This should honestly be deleted by the mods. :deadbanana4: Stuff like this is why actual racism is taken less seriously than it should be.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Whether or not you like Taylor, you have to admit there’s some truth to this. The absolute meltdowns when Speak Now had one meh review.. same with BTS or Harry Styles fans, some are just outrageously unhinged :rip: 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Just now, AndThenTheCocaine said:

I genuinely feel that's an industry-wide problem where mainstream publications just don't give big artists bad reviews any more. Literally every Olivia review I've read has been glowing so far, for example. I know we hate Pitchfork here but they do go in HARD on people they don't like and it's perversely refreshing (poor Ed Sheeran though).

It’s a big problem. Attention is on Taylor because she’s so huge, but the same goes for BTS, and other artists with huge bases and strong PR teams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cheers said:

"Critics afraid of backlash from Swifities"

This part is true tho. Look at how BTS is getting acclaim too with their annoying music :rip: 

When Stereogum called out their fraudulence on the hot 100 and got jumped by the armies :rip:

Just now, Walk_Away21 said:

Girl you can't just lob this out with ZERO evidence. This should honestly be deleted by the mods. :deadbanana4: Stuff like this is why actual racism is taken less seriously than it should be.

how are you gonna tell a black person that they don't know when someone is being racist?? I've experienced it on Twitter and that is my experience. I know you love Taylor and all but this is a great example of what I just said in this thread.  :toofunny3: please go enjoy her tour and all that she's giving you instead of trying to tell someone what they have experienced outside of ATRL. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

I love how mad Taylor makes people simply by being so successful

insta-tay.thumb.gif.08c3c625d5cb44b0da69

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

13 minutes ago, AxelFox said:

They hit the spot with this tbh. Taylor Swift is fine for what she is, but somehow she has been masquerading as something she is not and her legions of fans have deluded themselves into believing it. To me, she is not different than somebody like Carly Rae Jepsen. Somebody who is very passionate about music and can create good records, which are not particularly forward thinking or pushing any boundaries and that's pretty much it. Very little star quality in both cases, yet the difference in levels of fame between the two is astronomical.

Anyone with a rational and critical mind can see that the relation between Taylor swift's actual talent and artistic output and her commercial success is highly disproportional. 

Anyone with a rational and critical mind must know that there must be some reasons make someone successful, and apparently you just can't understand her talent/her attractive/don't like her music then you just call it overhyped which is basically the opposite of "rational and critical mind" :cm:

Edited by Monster Queen
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Monster Queen said:

Anyone with a rational and critical mind must know that there must be some reasons make somoone successful, and apparently you just can't understand her talent/ don't like her music then you just call it overhyped which is basically the opposite of "rational and critical mind" :cm:

Okay, but can we not criticize the MCU’s faults because it’s popular? This logic that Swifties use to prove they’re right is so thin. Just because a lot of people like something doesn’t make it immune from criticism. 

Edited by GraceRandolph
typo
  • Like 5

Fan pandering is an issue with any artist that has a particularly large and aggressive fanbase. Even popular TV shows and movies suffer from this. Actors and actresses as well. Being vocal about your dislike of something mainstream doesn't really do anything, though. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.