• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Solaria

• Badgalbriel

• Steve Johnson

What we're missing rn is new artists blowing UP like they used to. Monoculture is dead & it's extremely hard now, even nearly impossible, for new artists to break out & solidify themselves as mainstays.

TikTok has given us dozens of hit songs but very few stars. And the recent artists who capture a fanbase are C-List at BEST, people like Coi Leray, Kim Petras, Tate McRae, Sabrina Carpenter, Latto, Lizzy McAlpine, etc.

Ice Spice is the only full breakout artist we've seen this year... 

• Like 2

So many great albums have dropped this year..what are you on about?

42 minutes ago, wish said:

What we're missing rn is new artists blowing UP like they used to. Monoculture is dead & it's extremely hard now, even nearly impossible, for new artists to break out & solidify themselves as mainstays.

TikTok has given us dozens of hit songs but very few stars. And the recent artists who capture a fanbase are C-List at BEST, people like Coi Leray, Kim Petras, Tate McRae, Sabrina Carpenter, Latto, Lizzy McAlpine, etc.

Ice Spice is the only full breakout artist we've seen this year... 

Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo are truly the last new pop girls that really left their mark. 

its already better than 2022

Inflation
Writers strike

Social anxiety around the upcoming election

Label apprehension on ROI

A.I. 

There are only so many “MPGs,” and that number drops each year with the decline of monoculture, and some just aging out of prior relevance. They can’t all release each year. Broaden your horizons. 

I dunno but I dipped out and got into Donna Summer instead because of this playlist and the doc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UnfairTop said:

I dunno but I dipped out and got into Donna Summer instead because of this playlist and the doc

The way I literally did the same this past few weeks. Listened to Bad Girls in full again. Literally my favorite pop album ever

3 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

The way I literally did the same this past few weeks. Listened to Bad Girls in full again. Literally my favorite pop album ever

Omg she's so fricking talented. I'm obsessed with hot stuff especially the remix that's the first song I love all songs on that list and her 2008 album crayons is so good and fun. Love to love you baby dim the lights McArthur park ugh I'm so obsessed with this inmensly talented creative queen 👑 

12 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

But yeah, I kind of agree. At this point we can just give Taylor her 4th AOTY cause she's the only one with a dominant album this year other than the country guy. 

If midnight win album of the year, it will be a terrible year for music. Midnight is average at best.

Just now, UnfairTop said:

Omg she's so fricking talented. I'm obsessed with hot stuff especially the remix that's the first song I love all songs on that list and her 2008 album crayons is so good and fun. Love to love you baby dim the lights McArthur park ugh I'm so obsessed with this inmensly talented creative queen 👑 

i keep sayin... McArthur park is easily one of the best vocal performances ever. I actually love a lot of the album cuts on Bad Girls like "Love Is Gonna Find You" "Journey To the Center of Your Heart" and "There Will Always Be a You". Some of my favorite songs ever.

• Like 1

This generation don’t care for Main Pop Girls. They just need quick Tiktok hits. Taylor and Beyoncé level pop stars are dwindling. Billie, Olivia and Dua are the exceptions. 

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

i keep sayin... McArthur park is easily one of the best vocal performances ever. I actually love a lot of the album cuts on Bad Girls like "Love Is Gonna Find You" "Journey To the Center of Your Heart" and "There Will Always Be a You". Some of my favorite songs ever.

I haven't explored the album cuts yet minus crayons! Stamp your feet and queen is back are so icnique! Kind alike her 70s stuff a tad bit more than her 80s stuff which I also love. Her late 80s hits also sound soooooo 80s Kylie minogue lol... Oh and she writes! That documentary was so well done as well. I watched it like 4 times and each time I watch I know the songs more! 😭 I've decided to stan!! 

I have a feeling all the main girlies will  release something this year. 

In the meantime, I’m enjoying releases from Ellie, Rita, Raye, Tove Lo, Kylie, Dua, Kelly Clarkson, Jessie Ware, Rosalia, Bebe, Pink. So many!

Edited by Valentine

It's giving me a headache how stale and boring mainstream pop culture currently is. Indeed, no one is doing anything. I've been saying for roughly the past year and some months that pop culture is just in a really dry and unexciting place. If it weren't for blockbuster films releasing, pop culture would be dead. And new the crop of mainstream artists just aren't cutting it; I don't find them to be impressive at all.

June/July/August gonna be packed. Aren’t Drake, Olivia, and Billie releasing new album in those months? 

And well yeah western music is lil bit underwhelming right now, I don’t enjoy latin songs but thankfully, some of kpop group and j pop artists I’ve followed really have good material this year. So I’ve been fed well. 

3 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

My dear would you mind opening a Donna summer thread in entertainment to promote the doc and post the playlist I posted underneath for me I can't ik new and would like to do some stanning. Mention her daughter makes her directorial debt and realest tons of unseen footage and narrated by Donna herself. We need to make more stans and all it takes ia onevview of this I one doc. Love 2 love you Donna :jonny6:

If you’re talking about some big pop girls, im pretty sure Gaga and Katy are set to release later this year if we go by their usual release gaps, and Katy is already teasing every once in a while. 

3 hours ago, chaklux said:

If midnight win album of the year, it will be a terrible year for music. Midnight is average at best.

Midnights is amazing. It's her best pop album. 

Its a repeat of 2021.  Olivia and Morgan will be dominating the charts

You need to step away from the mainstream and join us in the indie and alternative music spheres. We are having the time of our lives with abundance of albums that are breaking out this year.

The pop scene is just aging you out, so don't worry about it. Pop culture is the same as it has always been, it is just like the generation before us we are not the audience for the new generation of mainstream artists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UnfairTop said:

Her 70s concept albums are so good. Give them a try, she has great deep cuts. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.