Wtf is going on in 2023 musically?

KatyPrismSpirit

May 2020, 2021, and 2022 all had huge releases and the charts were on fire. It's meant to be the most active month of the year... but this year it was just DEAD :deadbanana2:

It's insane how this year started off so strong and looked promising compared to last year (2022's Q1 was absolutely abysmal, maybe the worst ever), but then completely faltered into nothing, becoming even WORSE than 2022 overall

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Solaria

• Badgalbriel

• Steve Johnson

3 minutes ago, Bussea said:

I listen to old music and there’s been multiple great releases this year. Jessie Ware, Ryan Beatty, Kelela, Lana and multiple other artists released great bodies of art. Sorry you can’t enjoy it! :heart:

I enjoyed those but honey that is in the span of SIX months… in 2020 this wouldve been what we would get in like 1 month or even in weeks time with multiple big releases and era’s going on. now literally no pop eras are happening

Girl we literally have Vulgar coming next Friday

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

I can’t relate, I’m being fed this year. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Im a fan of Post Malone. He released two songs and the album is coming next month so im fine. Maybe it’s just your faves that havent released. Also i listen to non comercial artists, Maybe this is a chance for you to discover new artists

aespa just released album of the century???

so maybe get some taste first before asking such question

As a K-pop fan, it's been super active but outside K-pop it's been super quiet.

So much amazing stuff has dropped this year lmao - Kaytramine, Miracle, Dua, Kelela, Linkin Park, Demi, Logic, Post etc. I also listen to world music, tons there too. There is music OUTSIDE gay/pop/dance music lmfao. And I say this as a bisexual human who listens to EVERY genre of music, predominantly pop/dance music, but still. Theres TONS of new **** that is incredible. Like... not everything is a major pop-girlie era.

Edited by JayG

Mainstream pop is indeed very dry right now, but there has been plenty of great music released this year already.

39 minutes ago, .Odyssey. said:

Girl we literally have Vulgar coming next Friday

exactly, this year gets worse and worse by the day :deadbanana4:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Seems to me that lots of you miss the point. Of course there's a lot more to listen to than anglophone or latin pop records, (nowadays I almost only dig music from the past or less mainstream releases for instance) but what's interesting to notice is that those kind of big blockbusters are becoming less and less frequent, it's an undeniable fact, and the reasons behind would be interesting to discuss. Death of monoculture is certainly one.

Also the fact that a re-release of a 2010 album is seen as the biggest event of summer by pop fans tells tons about this new climate.

The new generation of pop girls Doja, Dua, Billie and Olivia should all come through at some point anyway.

Edited by Filpo
  • Like 4

I think since charting stopped getting competitive many artists don’t bother

8 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

exactly, this year gets worse and worse by the day :deadbanana4:

:ahh: 

10 minutes ago, Filpo said:

Seems to me that lots of you miss the point. Of course there's a lot more to listen to than anglophone or latin pop records, (nowadays I almost only dig music from the past or less mainstream releases for instance) but what's interesting to notice is that those kind of big blockbusters are becoming less and less frequent, it's an undeniable fact, and the reasons behind would be interesting to discuss. Death of monoculture is certainly one.

Also the fact that a re-release of a 2010 album is seen as the biggest event of summer by pop fans tells tons about this new climate.

The new generation of pop girls Doja, Dua, Billie and Olivia should all come through at some point anyway.

thank you for being open to get my point across :heart2:

Everyone is avoiding summer because Olivia is coming to take over 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polgg48 said:

Meanwhile in Korea, back to back to back new releases every monday + friday. Smash new peaks all day everyday except hypeboy still chart for no reason. :coffee2:

I won cuz I listen to both Kpop and Western music :giraffe:

I genuinely haven’t heard any song being played a lot except Flowers this year. There are no more big hits nowadays, most songs are just big on streaming but you don’t hear about them irl. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Don't worry y'all Olivia is coming to save 2023. :swan:

• Thumbs Down 1

It’s because Lana already released the AOTY, so why even bother? :giraffe:

It's time for Taylor to win that record-breaking 4th AOTY. 

The world is waiting for Dua Lipa to drop DL3 so they know what the next music trend is gonna be :coffee2:

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.