Debt Ceiling Deal - Democrats give in to GOP demands: food stamps, student debt, IRS

Communion

so what would happen if they defaulted on the debt? would the economy collapse, would it affect the whole world? republicans just seem so out of touch with reality.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

• Bears01

• Sannie

I have way too many questions and none of them are getting answered on even a cursory search, so I’m going to wait for the dust to settle, I guess.

8 hours ago, Communion said:

"We have to show our voters that Republican are terrorists. To do this, we'll be working with them to force 40M people who disproportionately will vote for us and not them back into forced payments even though we have not yet been able to forgive the debt we campaigned on forgiving"

I reckon the only reason that cancellation of the debt cancellation isn't in there is solely because Republicans assume that the Supreme Court will put an end to it.

Surprised that the retroactive interest on paused loans isn't in there. Knowing Biden's history of throwing debtors under the bus, he'd sign onto it in a heartbeat. :michael: 

2 hours ago, Bears01 said:

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1662643958147588102?s=46&t=F2Kqdy7aScoPGAKFHNr8dQ

This and the fact that there were no changes  to Medicaid (I thought the knives would be out for Medicaid) are the biggest surprises to me 

That’ll be the next debt ceiling fight in March 2024

2 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

That’ll be the next debt ceiling fight in March 2024

This agreement extends till January 2025

24 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

This agreement extends till January 2025

Skeptical that that will remain the case. Especially since Ken Buck is already calling bullshit on this and is mad at McCarthy for these concessions. The deal could be blown up with a move to unseat the speaker as soon as this week.

6 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

I reckon the only reason that cancellation of the debt cancellation isn't in there is solely because Republicans assume that the Supreme Court will put an end to it.

Surprised that the retroactive interest on paused loans isn't in there. Knowing Biden's history of throwing debtors under the bus, he'd sign onto it in a heartbeat. :michael: 

Literally this, they know it will be struck down so they didn't fight hard for it and now they've just solidified that he can't try to push back payments starting back again. So transparent.

1 hour ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Skeptical that that will remain the case. Especially since Ken Buck is already calling bullshit on this and is mad at McCarthy for these concessions. The deal could be blown up with a move to unseat the speaker as soon as this week.

Call me delusional, but I think this original agreement will pass. If it gets shot down, GOP mega donors and Wall St will start getting very angry, and we know they answer to them first. While the donors don’t have the American people’s best interest in mind, they don’t want a default. It’d be bad for them while being catastrophic for the American people. MTG and Jim Jordan have already said they’re fine with it, but they have establishment ties while those mostly disconnected to the establishment like Boebert and Chip Roy hate it and are furious. 

Keep in mind though, I’m not praising this deal. It’s still pretty bad, it’s just not absolutely catastrophically terrible like what most people had expectations for. If different elections go differently, the damage can mostly be undone BUT, that remains to be determined 

biden needs to stop appealing to the GOP, its not working. he can get rid of the debt and still he would be a bad president 

idRkInm.png

Joe Biden is the new FDR, right? I mean, that’s what we were told over and over again—for years. Time magazine gave us the headline, “How Joe Biden is Positioning Himself as a Modern FDR.” Three months into Biden’s term, CNN chipped in with “Three Striking Similarities Between FDR and Biden.” The New Republic won the most absurdly effusive headline contest with “Forget FDR. Biden is a Major President in His Own Right.”

Turns out it was all a bad joke. If that wasn’t obvious before the fight over the debt ceiling, it should be now.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bidens-debt-ceiling-waffling-proves-hes-no-fdr?utm_campaign=owned_social&utm_source=twitter_owned_tdb&utm_medium=socialflow&via=twitter_page

7QiIhFr.png FxQq3xHagAA--FX?format=jpg&name=900x900

:gaycat7:

Washington is broken. 

After reading the bill, twice, I’m voting NO on the debt ceiling debacle because playing the DC game isn’t worth selling out our kids and grandkids. 

Republicans got outsmarted by a President who can’t find his pants.

Let’s dive in.  (thread)

https://twitter.com/nancymace/status/1663512937967898626?s=46&t=iC5GtKigZsh-GPndx96o5A

Nor sure this thing is going to pass if even the archetypical “centrist Republican” is going against it. Hakeem Jeffries might need to have Katherine Clark working overtime to whip the Progressive Caucus with mostly Democrats having to get this thing over the finish line to protect Joe’s presidency from a default.

Wesley Hunt, a freshman Republican from Texas and an ally of @SpeakerMcCarthy, will vote no.

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1663527410694860801?s=46&t=iC5GtKigZsh-GPndx96o5A

Another moderate no.

Looks like Democrats may have celebrated too early.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:46 AM, thetea said:

so what would happen if they defaulted on the debt? would the economy collapse, would it affect the whole world? republicans just seem so out of touch with reality.

A major global economic collapse, and I am not trying to be hyperbolic. What would happen as a result of a default would have devastating, long-lasting effects on the US economy as it would essentially confirm that the US is no longer "reliable" when it comes to paying its debt; a country is only as good as its ability to pay back its debts. Government workers would no longer receive their paychecks; government contractors would no longer receive their paychecks; people who rely on federal assistance would no longer receive said assistance; programs that rely on government money would not have funding; schools, clinics, and other organizations every-day Americans rely on would not receive the federal funding they depend on to function. In short, devastation. 

A default would negatively affect far more people than what is in this bill. I do believe an agreement of some kind will happen as rich donors will not like a default, but the fact that we have even gotten this far already makes us look bad on a global scale.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/written-materials/2021/10/06/life-after-default/

8 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1663527410694860801?s=46&t=iC5GtKigZsh-GPndx96o5A

Another moderate no.

Looks like Democrats may have celebrated too early.

Do you think Dems will hold out? I see even Progressive Dems eventually caving to save a default from happening under Biden. With their support, not many Reps are needed, right?

Edited by Sannie

10 minutes ago, Sannie said:

A major global economic collapse, and I am not trying to be hyperbolic. What would happen as a result of a default would have devastating, long-lasting effects on the US economy as it would essentially confirm that the US is no longer "reliable" when it comes to paying its debt; a country is only as good as its ability to pay back its debts. Government workers would no longer receive their paychecks; government contractors would no longer receive their paychecks; people who rely on federal assistance would no longer receive said assistance; programs that rely on government money would not have funding; schools, clinics, and other organizations every-day Americans rely on would not receive the federal funding they depend on to function. In short, devastation. 

A default would negatively affect far more people than what is in this bill. I do believe an agreement of some kind will happen as rich donors will not like a default, but the fact that we have even gotten this far already makes us look bad on a global scale.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/written-materials/2021/10/06/life-after-default/

Do you think Dems will hold out? I see even Progressive Dems eventually caving to save a default from happening under Biden. With their support, not many Reps are needed, right?

If this passes purely on the backs of Democrats, given all the damage it does, progressives will lose every ounce of credibility they have as a caucus. They’d be even more of a joke than they already were.

21 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Washington is broken. 

After reading the bill, twice, I’m voting NO on the debt ceiling debacle because playing the DC game isn’t worth selling out our kids and grandkids. 

Republicans got outsmarted by a President who can’t find his pants.

Let’s dive in.  (thread)

https://twitter.com/nancymace/status/1663512937967898626?s=46&t=iC5GtKigZsh-GPndx96o5A

Nor sure this thing is going to pass if even the archetypical “centrist Republican” is going against it. Hakeem Jeffries might need to have Katherine Clark working overtime to whip the Progressive Caucus with mostly Democrats having to get this thing over the finish line to protect Joe’s presidency from a default.

Jayapal was posturing earlier that the Progressive Caucus was unhappy with Biden's deal, but history shows she'll fold, even when surrendering student debt over to the GOP will have consequences on elections for years:

D7ai2JF.png

14 minutes ago, Sannie said:

A default would negatively affect far more people than what is in this bill.

The false binary being that these are our only choices when Biden is entitled as president to instruct the Treasury to keep paying on debts the federal government currently owes.

Most governments don't have a debt ceiling. This is not a finite resource running out - there's no moment of realizing the vault is empty. It's like a siren going off whose switch anyone can easily just switch back to off.

5 minutes ago, Communion said:

Jayapal was posturing earlier that the Progressive Caucus was unhappy with Biden's deal, but history shows she'll fold, even when surrendering student debt over to the GOP will have consequences on elections for years:

D7ai2JF.png

Yeah, given the Progressive Caucus snubbed Nina Turner to endorse Shontel Brown, I’m genuinely not going to hold my breath. I fully expect Jayapal to help Clark with whipping the necessary votes to get to 218. She’s genuinely the worst thing to happen to Progressivism since Bernie’s unconditional surrender to Biden. :dies: 

3 minutes ago, Communion said:

The false binary being that these are our only choices when Biden is entitled as president to instruct the Treasury to keep paying on debts the federal government currently owes.

Most governments don't have a debt ceiling. This is not a finite resource running out - there's no moment of realizing the vault is empty. It's like a siren going off whose switch anyone can easily just switch back to off.

Exactly. We’ve been backed into this corner as a result of Biden’s choice. He WANTS bipartisan deals that make life worse overall for Americans because he agrees with the premise of austerity and shrinking the social safety net. He just doesn’t want to take the blame for it.

On 5/21/2023 at 12:29 AM, brooklyndaddy said:

Do you ever post about Republicans destroying the country? Or is the goal to just get people not to vote at all? 

You do know democrats have been awarded the power to curb republican aggression periodically throughout our lifetime and CHOSE to not exercise that hard fought for gain, right? :toofunny2:

If you want people to stop pointing out the failings of "allies!1!1;p" then vote for leftists who don't bend over for the establishment and work hand in hand with conservatives to screw the working class.

Warren a no on the debt ceiling deal:

kmcTR7M.png

Pressley filed an amendment to remove the language that would block the ability to continue the student debt pauses:

zBF84EQ.png

d0g6u3N.png

1 hour ago, Communion said:

Warren a no on the debt ceiling deal:

kmcTR7M.png

Pressley filed an amendment to remove the language that would block the ability to continue the student debt pauses:

zBF84EQ.png

d0g6u3N.png

My biggest worry about the amendment process is republicans will find a way to get rid of the only truly good thing for democrats in the bill (other than a lot of their provisions not being touched) like this:  https://twitter.com/fritschner/status/1663686942918057986?s=46&t=F2Kqdy7aScoPGAKFHNr8dQ

or they’ll find a way to sneak in work requirements for Medicaid 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.