HDD: Capitol lost $25M+ from Halsey’s last album

Jonathan

Reading this thread makes me wonder if we didn’t get a cruel summer MV because Lover was a flop in 2019 when it was first released :lakitu:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverse Warholian

• Beyonnaise

• Sawk

• Sugden

it’s her best album so i’d say it was worth it

I wonder if this signals other labels not to invest on feature length films for album campaigns. 

On 4/21/2023 at 4:56 AM, Aristocrat said:

Offered at nearly $12 million, the property is a bonafide compound, with no fewer than seven distinct buildings scattered across nearly five acres of land.

Halsey acquired the big spread barely two years ago for about $10.2 million.

I'm not sure who advised her to spend $25 million of the record label money on her album and film (can it really be that much?), and $10+ million of her own money on a property with seven buildings, but that's a lot of money. It also sounds like she got some bad advice from both her label and management.

Comprising waterfalls, koi ponds, vast terraces and lush gardens, the serene and ultra-private compound also includes a resort-style swimming pool and pool house with guest suite and fitness room. There’s also a detached guesthouse, a small recording studio and, set atop a sunny knoll with wrap around views, a meditation/massage pavilion.

https://www.dirt.com/entertainers/musicians/halsey-calabasas-mansion-liam-payne-1203360697/

At least she might make money on the property sale, if she gets close to her asking price.

Also, the album was decent enough, but probably not the right sort of album for a $25 million budget.

On 4/20/2023 at 12:20 PM, Zox said:

Iggy gets the last laugh

this tea

This is making me wanna listen to IICHLIWP. I was a stan back when she released Badlands, loved HFK and didn’t really like Manic at all, hopefully it’s a good record :jonnycat:

Aww the album had some very good songs but the concept and film was a bad idea if she a regular roll out it would’ve done better 

What they deserve for the **** both Halsey and Capitol did to Sky Ferreira 

Things possibly could have been better had they not ****** up the film's release post-IMAX. It was in select theatres for two days. Then a whole month later it was put on some random no1curr streaming platform for 48 hours. And then it wasn't until a couple weeks after that, that it was finally put on HBO Max. It should have been put on a major streaming service within a month of release. If you couldn't make it out to the limited theatre showings there was basically no way to see it for two months.

idfc love/power is her best album

On 4/22/2023 at 7:35 PM, Meev said:

Reading this thread makes me wonder if we didn’t get a cruel summer MV because Lover was a flop in 2019 when it was first released :lakitu:

:rip: For her standards yes but do you really think a lable wouldn't be happy with an 800+k opener and #2 singles?

And doesn't she fund some of her mvs?

i mean they didn't even send any songs to radio did they? honey was screaming hit single to me and they paid it dust

This is the streaming era ,label  definitely spend a lot of money paying all these tiktokers to use songs in the background plus spotify needs the payola checks too,i can definitely see it getting that high :giraffe:

Their fault for spending $25M on miss Ashley Frangipane. Shouldn't even have spent $2.5M on her 

A major bomb omg. She's truly over. :bibliahh: 

• Thumbs Down 1

On 4/22/2023 at 8:35 PM, Meev said:

it wasn't a flop though if anything it was the most well received and best song of that era

On 4/24/2023 at 8:06 PM, Sawk said:

This is making me wanna listen to IICHLIWP. I was a stan back when she released Badlands, loved HFK and didn’t really like Manic at all, hopefully it’s a good record :jonnycat:

manic actually was a good record. give it a listen

9 hours ago, Jude said:

A major bomb omg. She's truly over. :bibliahh: 

you stan demi not the hill you wanna die on

also no offense but this is on capital yeah she was successful for them for a few era but she was not qualified enough for that kind of an investment it should've been a regular era rollout

First of all why would they spend that amount of money on Halsey, she's a B-list pop star, at best?

And what's even the point in that kind of budget in an era where a song can smash without visuals or performances, but solely with a Tik Tok viral sound? :skull: 

31 minutes ago, SchmoodRing said:

you stan demi not the hill you wanna die on

Okay? At least I'm stanning a talented vocalist, not an avocado singer. And besides, Ariana has been my main fave. 

send her to jail :redface:

4 hours ago, SchmoodRing said:

manic actually was a good record. give it a listen

I didn’t like Manic really, but I’ll be sure to listen to IICHLIWP sis :hug: 

I don't think they spent $25M on this album :skull:

10 hours ago, Sawk said:

I didn’t like Manic really, but I’ll be sure to listen to IICHLIWP sis :hug: 

Manic was amazing! I don’t get people who disliked it. It was a unique listen, but not pretentious to the point that it was unlistenable. She still made the songs catchy pop-rock. 

42 minutes ago, Raphy23 said:

Manic was amazing! I don’t get people who disliked it. It was a unique listen, but not pretentious to the point that it was unlistenable. She still made the songs catchy pop-rock. 

This is just a personal opinion of mine, but Manic sounds too forced? Like idk I haven’t heard it in a while but yeah, not saying it’s a terrible record, just not my cup of tea. :bird:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.