P!nk's TRUSTFALL outsold Beyoncé's Renaissance in the UK. Why?

Liafen

4 hours ago, bijonse said:

BMS and cuff it went top ten in the UK and Renaissance is multi week number one. Beyoncé just beat out younger artists for best international artist over there at the Brit’s. She’s much bigger than pink in the UK all things considered lmao

What? Even her “flop” album had a better first week. Pink has much bigger album and single sales there. In fact, pink is the second best selling female album artist this century there. Only behind Adele. They’re both touring monsters there. Bey and Pink are big in the UK, but pink is undoubtedly much bigger. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Liafen

• Lovett

• bijonse

• Virtual_Insanity

8 minutes ago, VioletsandRoses said:

What? Even her “flop” album had a better first week. Pink has much bigger album and single sales there. In fact, pink is the second best selling female album artist this century there. Only behind Adele. They’re both touring monsters there. Bey and Pink are big in the UK, but pink is undoubtedly much bigger. 

When the album drops off the charts in a couple weeks we’ll revisit this! Beyoncé is still charting 6 months later btw

Just now, bijonse said:

When the album drops off the charts in a couple weeks we’ll revisit this! Beyoncé is still charting 6 months later btw

Bey was #100 in the 23rd week I believe. Just before the tour was announced, which gave it the boost. Renaissance was #35 on the year end chart and underperformed for her standards there. Lemonade an r&b album was #11 on the year end. Hurt 2b human which is considered a flop was #24 on the year end chart. It’s too early to tell, but congrats on Bey for outdoing Pink for the first time in the UK since 2003. 

2 minutes ago, VioletsandRoses said:

Bey was #100 in the 23rd week I believe. Just before the tour was announced, which gave it the boost. Renaissance was #35 on the year end chart and underperformed for her standards there. Lemonade an r&b album was #11 on the year end. Hurt 2b human which is considered a flop was #24 on the year end chart. It’s too early to tell, but congrats on Bey for outdoing Pink for the first time in the UK since 2003. 

Her longevity :clap3:and it’s not too early to tell lmao

Beyoncé has more UK number ones, more hits on UK charts, more weeks on UK charts, more Brit awards. Headlined glastonbury. Their touring power there has been the same, we’ll see this summer whos is bigger but i feeling it will be Beyoncé. Her current era dwarfs pinks in success outside of the first week units and she hasn’t even promoted it herself. In a few weeks it will probably be outcharting pinks album. And this is before you add in destiny’s child to the equation. She’s much bigger than pink in the UK :celestial5:

1 hour ago, VioletsandRoses said:

Alot has changed since Pink released that album in 2019. And she released that album in April which means more time to accumulate points for the year end.

We see the effects of being a dominate pure sales artist vs streaming on the charts now. Pink isn't going to being selling 20k pure albums a week in month. And her lead single is about to chart right outside the Top 10.

I give Pink credit for holding up over her other early 2000s contemporaries but Bey is stronger in the 2020s for sure. 

Edited by Dreajae

1 hour ago, VioletsandRoses said:

I mean Beyonce is top 5 for women in overall certified units. And we cannot deny that Beys catalog racks up bigger streams than Pink. So enjoy the couple million lead in albums. Pink also has 9 albums and released in a healthier sales market. 

Edited by Dreajae

2 hours ago, VioletsandRoses said:

The UK is a very 'physicals' heavy market. Cassettes, CDs and vinyl absolutely fly off the shelves here. All of these are prime examples of when albums have physicals available and when they don't, and how that impacts their chart performance. REN's lack of physicals is severely hurting her charting in the UK and her strong streaming can only compensate so much. LEM achieved that because it wasn't on streaming, so the only way to get the album was via downloads and physicals.

P!NK is big here, but she's not bigger than Bey.

• ATRL Moderator

As we learned from the BAFTAs just last week, the UK prefers white artists.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:27 PM, Mr. Stratus said:

atrl and stans still using this promo thing. Promo is songs on playlists and radio. Beyoncé not only had HHUK, she had TTH with songs swapped throughout week; which would help her massively due to the rules.

If promo doesn't work why did P!nk do it? If promo doesn't work why did Trustfall shoot up the charts after P!nks televised performance? Especially for shifting physicals which lean towards older demographics & which is the reason for P!nks stronger opening, UK TV is the best promo spot for an album. Playlisting is more important for longterm single success which the UK discounts from album sales anyway 

Edited by Otter

8 hours ago, Dreajae said:

I mean Beyonce is top 5 for women in overall certified units. And we cannot deny that Beys catalog racks up bigger streams than Pink. So enjoy the couple million lead in albums. Pink also has 9 albums and released in a healthier sales market. 

Bey debuted in 2003 while Pink debuted in 2000. Album sales in the UK peaked in 2004. 

8 hours ago, MrLovett said:

The UK is a very 'physicals' heavy market. Cassettes, CDs and vinyl absolutely fly off the shelves here. All of these are prime examples of when albums have physicals available and when they don't, and how that impacts their chart performance. REN's lack of physicals is severely hurting her charting in the UK and her strong streaming can only compensate so much. LEM achieved that because it wasn't on streaming, so the only way to get the album was via downloads and physicals.

P!NK is big here, but she's not bigger than Bey.

She is bigger than Bey there and the rest of Europe besides Spain. Bey sold 5.1 million albums in the UK while Pink sold 8.3 million. Pink also has more hits per era and for a longer time. Bey is hit and miss when it comes to hits. Renaissance is her first era to have good sized hits there since I Am Sasha Fierce. Bey and Pink both had physicals sales, it’s just that Bey is more streaming leaning this era unlike her previous ones while pink has more pure sales (older demographic)

9 minutes ago, VioletsandRoses said:

She is bigger than Bey there and the rest of Europe besides Spain. Bey sold 5.1 million albums in the UK while Pink sold 8.3 million. Pink also has more hits per era and for a longer time. Bey is hit and miss when it comes to hits. Renaissance is her first era to have good sized hits there since I Am Sasha Fierce. Bey and Pink both had physicals sales, it’s just that Bey is more streaming leaning this era unlike her previous ones while pink has more pure sales (older demographic)

The way you just completely ignored everything I said in my post. :skull: P!NK has released more studio albums, so it's not surprising that she's sold more albums here. Beyoncé has sold more singles and has sold more records overall in the UK. She's bigger and has been for a very long time.

REN had barely any physicals available, which the Hive was unhappy about as we knew it would impact her sales here. Meanwhile, Trustfall had masses of variants and versions available, which is ideal for the UK sales market.

22 minutes ago, VioletsandRoses said:

Bey debuted in 2003 while Pink debuted in 2000. Album sales in the UK peaked in 2004. 

With albums Bey has been outselling pink there for a decade and in the 2000s they were even album for album outside of bday. You’re ignoring context and time here, Beyoncé is bigger than pink there all things considered.

Edited by bijonse

Beyoncé is much bigger than Pink here I wish those stans would just wake up. Imagine selling more records overall and stans still trying to say how the other is bigger even with the fact they’ve released more songs. :toofunny3:

And that’s with two hit songs this era too. This thread will be revisited in two week’s time. 

Edited by Cotton

25 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

The way you just completely ignored everything I said in my post. :skull: P!NK has released more studio albums, so it's not surprising that she's sold more albums here. Beyoncé has sold more singles and has sold more records overall in the UK. She's bigger and has been for a very long time.

REN had barely any physicals available, which the Hive was unhappy about as we knew it would impact her sales here. Meanwhile, Trustfall had masses of variants and versions available, which is ideal for the UK sales market.

18 minutes ago, bijonse said:

With albums Bey has been outselling pink there for a decade and in the 2000s they were even album for album outside of bday. You’re ignoring context and time here, Beyoncé is bigger than pink there all things considered.

What? Pink has been outselling her for mostly every era. Even Beautiful Trauma outsold lemonade. It’s not just the 2000s that Pink sold more. Pink released more albums but she has a better average per album. Pink has 5 albums that have 1 million units sps, while Bey has 2. These are the pure sales breakdown since we don’t have total units. 

2002/2003

Missundazstood-1.9 million

DIL-1.2 million 

Try This-560k

Bday-570k

Im Not Dead-1.4 million 

Funhouse-1.3 million

I Am Sasha-1.6 million 

2010/2011

Greatest Hits-975k

4-660k

2012/2013

Self Titled-475k

The Truth About Love-895k

2016/2017

Lemonade-350k

Beautiful Trauma-470k

48 minutes ago, VioletsandRoses said:

Pink had a better start in the 2010s. The Truth About Love has outsold 4 by about 3 or 4 million worldwide. I will give her that. But Beyonce's self titled and Lemonade outsold Pink's other 2 albums from the 2010s. And the total is collectivley greater than Pink's. 

Now we're in the 2020s and Beyonce seems to be picking back up in commercial appeal. She's charted in countries for multiple weeks for the first time since IASF. She hasn't even fully stepped on the gas while Pink is doing full blown promotion in week 1. The writing is on the wall, but I "could" be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Dreajae said:

Pink had a better start in the 2010s. The Truth About Love has outsold 4 by about 3 or 4 million worldwide. I will give her that. But Beyonce's self titled and Lemonade outsold Pink's other 2 albums from the 2010s. And the total is collectivley greater than Pink's. 

Now we're in the 2020s and Beyonce seems to be picking back up in commercial appeal. She's charted in countries for multiple weeks for the first time since IASF. She hasn't even fully stepped on the gas while Pink is doing full blown promotion in week 1. The writing is on the wall, but I "could" be wrong. 

I just gave you the breakdown and you’re still lying. Even if we go by certs you can see the difference. 4 and self titled are 2x platinum, while the truth about love is 3x platinum and greatest hit is 4x platinum. Beautiful Trauma is 2x platinum while lemonade is 1x platinum. Even her greatest hit album outsold 4 and self titled ww and had 2 big hits. Those are facts that can easily be searched up. No need to get super defensive and lie about pop girls that don’t even know us :rip:

On 2/25/2023 at 11:07 AM, Yakult said:

P!nk promoted and has been a bigger UK radio force for the past decade.

Plus P!nk had multiple physical formats while Beyoncé didn’t have a vinyl available release week (the vinyl numbers were pre-orders from her website that had long sold out).

All of the above combined with an older fan base who buy physical equal higher sales despite Beyoncé’s streams being nearly 4x higher (exc the most popular songs off an album as per UK album chart rules).

This.

Promotion within the UK and a wider variety of available physical copies on release week is undoubtedly the answer to "Why?" because as we can see Pink out did Beyoncé with pure sales, but Beyoncé outdid Pink with streams.

This is also a factor, I think, though it may be a smaller one than the above:

Pink seems to have made music that hardly deviates from the kind that works for her. The general public doesn't have to figure out of this is still the Pink they know and love, it's the same Pink. I think it's a bit unfair to generalize all her fans as moms, but that stereotype does describe a generation of her fans who are less focused on club music and more into the kind of music they're familiar with, the styles that they loved in their youth and before they had kids, and stuff they can play around their kids. This could be just a theory, but I think it's proven in how well certain artists who fit this description sell far more physical copies than are streamed (streaming being a more youth-dominated metric).

Beyoncé on the other hand, took what works for her and expanded upon it, bringing new references, styles and approaches into the music. The music Beyoncé made in 2008 or even 2011 is vastly different than what we have now. We only have to look at the general reaction to Lemonade to see many GP fans complaining about "why does it have to be political?" and or "I miss her I Am...Sasha Fierce music" to understand how though when she caters to her hardcore fanbase by being political and/or testing out new genres, it also alienates the general public a bit, who must either expand their musical preferences or ignore it. RENAISSANCE isn't wholly political but it is decidedly queer-focused in many of its references, spoken word samples, lyrics, styles, and overall message. And I don't think it should go unsaid that the UK is having a lot of debate over queer-people, trans-women, etc. at the moment and the demographics of those against queer-visibility tend to be older people, the kind who would buy albums.

Edited by swissman

7 hours ago, VioletsandRoses said:

What? Pink has been outselling her for mostly every era. Even Beautiful Trauma outsold lemonade. It’s not just the 2000s that Pink sold more. Pink released more albums but she has a better average per album. Pink has 5 albums that have 1 million units sps, while Bey has 2. These are the pure sales breakdown since we don’t have total units. 

2002/2003

DIL-1.2 million 

Try This-560k

Bday-570k

Im Not Dead-1.4 million 

Funhouse-1.3 million

I Am Sasha-1.6 million 

2010/2011

Greatest Hits-975k

4-660k

2012/2013

Self Titled-475k

The Truth About Love-895k

2016/2017

Lemonade-350k

Beautiful Trauma-470k

These are total units for Beyonce in UK Albums (10 months old)
UK

Albums
Dangerously in Love 1,312,386 (5/8/22) 4X PLATINUM #1 (5 wks)
B'day 755,148 [483,108 + 272,040] PLATINUM and GOLD #3
I am...Sasha Fierce 1,836,494 (5/8/22) 6X PLATINUM #2 - (248 Weeks)
4 862,600 (5/8/22) 2X PLATINUM #1 (2 Wks) - (122 Weeks)
BEYONCÉ + MORE EP 736,678 (5/8/22) + 60,000 2X PLATINUM and SILVER #2 - (146 Weeks)
Lemonade 515,835 (5/8/22) PLATINUM #1

On 2/25/2023 at 9:58 AM, prézli said:

Beyoncé is 41, P!nk is 43. Don't tell me their fanbases are not in the same age.

Beyoncé’s fan base is obviously younger dbjxjcod 

Anyway, isn’t pink bigger there in general? Shhxjckcnwhy would this be a shocker 

3 hours ago, Armani? said:

These are total units for Beyonce in UK Albums (10 months old)
UK

Albums
Dangerously in Love 1,312,386 (5/8/22) 4X PLATINUM #1 (5 wks)
B'day 755,148 [483,108 + 272,040] PLATINUM and GOLD #3
I am...Sasha Fierce 1,836,494 (5/8/22) 6X PLATINUM #2 - (248 Weeks)
4 862,600 (5/8/22) 2X PLATINUM #1 (2 Wks) - (122 Weeks)
BEYONCÉ + MORE EP 736,678 (5/8/22) + 60,000 2X PLATINUM and SILVER #2 - (146 Weeks)
Lemonade 515,835 (5/8/22) PLATINUM #1

The way every single Beyoncé total in their post is significantly under what they're actually at. :lmao:

Who cares when Trustfall won’t have Renaissance’s longevity or hits here in the UK, due to the big gap in streaming. In the end Renaissance will be bigger here. 

It’s not like the U.S where Beyoncé destroyed P!nk :skull: 

11 hours ago, VioletsandRoses said:

2002/2003

DIL-1.2 million 

Try This-560k

Bday-570k

Im Not Dead-1.4 million 

Funhouse-1.3 million

I Am Sasha-1.6 million 

2010/2011

Greatest Hits-975k

4-660k

2012/2013