Mean Girls stars may not return for new movie over "disrespectful" money offer

okgo

mean-girls-3.jpg

Actresses Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried and Lacey Chabert all agreed to return for the new “Mean Girls” movie — but talks have stalled over Paramount’s “disrespectful” money offer, Page Six is told.

The stars of the original 2004 classic have remained friends throughout the years and were willing to return for the new film, which is bringing the Broadway musical version of “Mean Girls” to streamer Paramount +.

“Paramount Pictures doesn’t want to pay the girls what they are worth,” said a highly placed production source. “All four girls were willing to come back, but Paramount has not been respectful of what they are worth.” We’re told that McAdams, 44, who played queen bee Regina George, was initially offered a larger part to play than the other three, but the deal has not been signed off. “As of now, the negotiations are stalled.” said the source.

Tina Fey, who wrote both the movie and musical, is reprising her role as math teacher Ms. Norbury. She reportedly has a seven-figure deal for her acting role — she’s also writing and producing the movie — while Lohan & Co. were said to be offered a “fraction” of that. Page Six has reached out to Paramount Pictures, as well as reps Lohan, Seyfried, Chabert and McAdams, for comment. A rep for Fey declined to comment.

Lohan, 36, has recently made a return to Hollywood, with the top-rated Netflix holiday movie, “Falling For Christmas”, while Seyfried recently scooped a Golden Globe and an Emmy for her role as disgraced tech CEO Elizabeth Holmes in the Hulu miniseries “The Dropout.” She’s also up for a SAG award this weekend for the role. Chabert, meanwhile, has been dubbed the Queen of Hallmark for her frequent movie roles on the channel, and McAdams has appeared in a string of box office hits and, most recently, in “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” alongside Benedict Cumberbatch.

The foursome would not play their original characters, nor is it known what parts they would play, but another Hollywood insider said: “Whether they appear in a cameo appearance or they have six pages of script, it doesn’t matter — [the money offered] is disrespectful.”

Last week, Fey, 52, told Seth Meyers that both she and Tim Meadows, who played Principal Duvall in the original movie, were returning. “I do want to give you credit, you and Tim had parts in the original film that you couldn’t age out of,” Meyers said on Thursday night’s show. “Teachers work forever,” Fey joked. Reneé Rapp from HBO Max show “The Sex Lives of College Girls” is cast as Regina George on screen after already playing the preening blonde on Broadway, while Angourie Rice takes over from Lohan as Cady Heron. The role of Janis Ian, Cady’s best friend, will be played by Auliʻi Cravalho of “Moana” fame, while Jaquel Spivey will play Damien. Chris Briney, from the Amazon Prime hit “The Summer I Turned Pretty,” co-stars as Cady’s boyfriend, Aaron Samuels. Fey told Meyers that production will begin on March 6.

https://pagesix.com/2023/02/22/mean-girls-stars-may-not-return-for-new-movie-over-disrespectful-money-offer-source/

First Paramount lowballed Neve Campbell now this :shakeno:

(idc about the musical tbh kinda hope they're NOT in it, maybe if this doesn't come to fruition due to money then it forces Tina's ass to write the damn sequel)

Edited by okgo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• okgo

• gugunikko

• Attitude

• imabadkid

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If fans truly cared about the actors of these franchises you would boycott it. 

Pay the talent who made theses popular what they deserve! 

Just now, gugunikko said:

Lindsay should be thankful that she gets an offer. 

Huh, this makes no sense. Lindsay is the face of this just because she had personal issues through out the years doesn’t mean she shouldn’t get paid correctly. 

You can’t make a mean girls two WITHOUT HER!

no one wants a sequel. 

5 minutes ago, gugunikko said:

Amanda and Rachel, I get. But Lindsay should be thankful that she gets an offer. 

:dies: Lindsay currently has a 3-picture deal with Netflix, is in talks with Disney for a Freaky Friday sequel, among many other deals (Amazon, Pepsi, etc). This is 2023, keep up.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

no one wants a sequel. 

That's not true but Lindsay, Rachel, Amanda and Lacey have said numerous times they do, and they're the most important. :mandown:

Even Ana Gastayer was recently asked about it and she said she'd obv return: https://www.looper.com/1191620/ana-gasteyer-discusses-mean-girls-and-katherines-battles-in-american-auto-exclusive-interview/ there's clearly interest and demand.

Edited by okgo

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

no one wants a sequel. 

Just now, Baby Boy said:

A sequel is a terrible idea anyway. 

It's not a sequel. It's for the musical adaptation.

3 minutes ago, Attitude said:

It's not a sequel. It's for the musical adaptation.

why would they call them back for it, and why would they need 7 figure digits for, what im assuming, is not a starring role? (isn't the mean girls musical still set in highschool lol?)

8 minutes ago, gugunikko said:

Amanda and Rachel, I get. But Lindsay should be thankful that she gets an offer. 

She is busy and booked with Netflix lately 

2 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

why would they call them back for it, and why would they need 7 figure digits for, what im assuming, is not a starring role? (isn't the mean girls musical still set in highschool lol?)

It's prob cameos for fun easter eggs/create buzz, or maybe they're playing teachers too I could see a subplot even if it doesnt take a lot of screen time idk the article does also say this:

The foursome would not play their original characters, nor is it known what parts they would play, but another Hollywood insider said: “Whether they appear in a cameo appearance or they have six pages of script, it doesn’t matter — [the money offered] is disrespectful.”

We don’t want a sequel. Just let the first movie be the stand-alone that it is.

I hate to be that person but idgaf like if this was a movie about a bunch of men you can guarantee that they would've been paid WELL and probably would've gotten a nice backend deal which seems to be v popular these days for actors. What a joke. Good for them. Yes, we all want our classic to come back but pay them their worth.

wait... not me not realizing this isn't for a sequel. well ISAIDWHATISAID pay them what they're worth.

Edited by imabadkid

I guess they were to have a cameo or this is just a BS article because it's already confirmed they're not reprising their roles for this.

15 minutes ago, gugunikko said:

lol girl it's not 2012. good sis is BOOKED and BUSY and enjoying her life in Dubai with her husband and only comes back to the US to film for things that are worth her time. try again.

the musical was one of the cringiest and worst things i have ever seen on Broadway, hope they stay away 

21 minutes ago, gugunikko said:

Definitely not considering she is literally the face of the movie and Mean Girls only works with Lindsay's involvement

Besides, nobody is here for them doing cameos in a musical in different roles. This sounds like a bad idea anyway

Lindsay should get paid well but let’s be honest Lindsay isn’t worth what she was back in 2005. Rachel and Amanda now being Oscar nominees yeah their paycheck should be fat. But for cameos? Yeah they should all reject it 

Edited by DONTYELLATME

6 minutes ago, Miichael said:

Definitely not considering she is literally the face of the movie and Mean Girls only works with Lindsay's involvement

Besides, nobody is here for them doing cameos in a musical in different roles. This sounds like a bad idea anyway

27 minutes ago, Power love said:

Huh, this makes no sense. Lindsay is the face of this just because she had personal issues through out the years doesn’t mean she shouldn’t get paid correctly. 

You can’t make a mean girls two WITHOUT HER!

No one remember her character, it’s all about Regina and plastic that people always associate mean girls with, be real. 

Edited by gugunikko

15 minutes ago, XtinaStripped said:

I guess they were to have a cameo or this is just a BS article because it's already confirmed they're not reprising their roles for this.

The report says they wouldn't be reprising their original roles

16 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

I hate to be that person but idgaf like if this was a movie about a bunch of men you can guarantee that they would've been paid WELL and probably would've gotten a nice backend deal which seems to be v popular these days for actors. What a joke. Good for them. Yes, we all want our classic to come back but pay them their worth.

wait... not me not realizing this isn't for a sequel. well ISAIDWHATISAID pay them what they're worth.

Exactly, what you said still applies perfectly regardless of it being an actual sequel with lead roles or not :clap3: the worst part is a lot of people are no better with their "oh its just a cameo so of course they wouldn't get a high offer / they're being greedy and are replaceable!!" like we have any idea of what type of negotiations are going down in Hollywood :toofunny3: I've seen this type of stuff being said about Neve so many times lately and it's so depressing :shakeno: I hope these women know their worth and stand their ground, I guess the newer fans can keep pretending these new flop versions will ever compare to the originals. :mandown:

Edited by okgo

They should leave this movie as it is. The reboot craze has exposed that not everything that can be revisited...should be revisited.

All of these ladies should be paid fairly (but not excessively). And with Lindsay, she may have had some recent success on streaming, but she's not the star she once was and she has a past of being a production/insurance risk, so I can see why they want to limit her offer.

Just now, gugunikko said:

No one remember her character, it’s all about Regina and plastic that people always associate with mean girls, be real. 

Her character is remembered, acclaimed and literally reposted all over the Internet every year on October 3rd :dies: 

22 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

This movie sounds like a mess tbh. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.