James Gunn reveals upcoming DCU slate "Chapter I: Gods and Monsters"

mystery

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: DC Slate Unveiled: New Batman, Supergirl Movies, a Green Lantern TV Show, and More from James Gunn, Peter Safran

VARIETY: New DC Universe Unveils First 10 Projects: ‘Superman: Legacy’ in 2025, Batman & Robin Movie, Green Lantern Series, Wonder Woman Prequel and More

TV:
Creature Commandos: an animated series, a team of classic monsters assembled to fight Nazis, this is a modern take on the concept
Waller: A spin-off of  Peacemaker, Viola Davis will return as the ruthless and morally ambiguous head of a government task force
Lanterns: a new take on the space cops with power rings. “Our vision for this is very much in the vein of True Detective,” Safran described. “It’s terrestrial-based.” It will feature prominent Lantern heroes Hal Jordan and John Stewart.
Paradise Lost: an HBO Max series as a Game of Thrones-style drama set on the all-female island that is Wonder Woman’s birthplace, Themyscira, filled with political intrigue and scheming between power players.
Booster Gold: an HBO Max series based on a unique and lower-tiered hero created in 1986

FILM:
July 11, 2025 Superman: Legacy: “It focuses on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing. He is the embodiment of truth justice and the American way. He is kindness in a world that thinks that kindness as old-fashioned.” 
October 3, 2025The Batman Part II: Pattinson will continue to portray the Dark Knight in at least one more crime saga movie directed by Matt Reeves.
? The Authority: a movie based on a team of superheroes with rather extreme methods of protecting the planet that first originated in the late 1990s
? The Brave and the Bold: “This is the introduction of the DCU Batman,” said Gunn. “Of Bruce Wayne and also introduces our favorite Robin, Damian Wayne, who is a little son of a *****.” The movie will take inspiration from the now-classic Batman run written by Grant Morrison that introduced Batman to a son he never knew existed: a murderous tween raised by assassins. “It’s a very strange father-and-son story.”
? Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow: Supergirl, raised on a rock, a chip off of Krypton, and who watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life and then come to Earth. She is much more hardcore and not the Supergirl we’re used to.
? Swamp Thing: a horror film that promises to close out the first part of the first chapter.

No directors have been attached to any projects (although they said they’re “very close” on signing at least a couple), and no actors are attached, either. The exception is Viola Davis, who will star in the HBO Max series “Waller” as the amoral, self-imposed superintendent of the DC universe, Amanda Waller. She originated the role in 2016’s “Suicide Squad.” Similarly, Safran and Gunn left the door open for Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Zachary Levi to continue playing their respective DC superheroes of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash and Shazam, but Gunn reiterated that Henry Cavill will not continue as Superman. Otherwise, the execs said, they will be casting new actors in the roles.

Edited by mystery

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Digitalism

• mystery

• Broken

• JustLikeHoney

I am not convinced but we’ll see. :coffee2: 

And I know Grace is going to drag James for filth for continuing with Peacemaker and having a separate Batman, etc. 

not two batmans :coffee2:

Two batmans

two supermans

random team ensemble 

canon pre-wonder woman show with NO Wonder Woman movie slated..

yea this is ass already :rip: 

I'm so confused because it seems Batman and Superman are being rebooted but Peacemaker and Viola's Amanda Waller are staying? Seems very messy :rip:

Regardless, more Viola Davis is ALWAYS welcome, very excited for Waller, couldn't really care less about the Superman movie or the Green Lantern series. 

Surprisingly strong line up of projects.

Let's see how they do it though, Gunn is very hit and miss.

DC Elseworlds seem far more interesting than this connected storylines.

I hope they continue doing these independent movies, that's where DC shine best  

Edited by zoldyck

13 minutes ago, gatito said:

not two batmans :coffee2:

12 minutes ago, BoyLikeYouSuxx said:

Two batmans

two supermans

random team ensemble 

canon pre-wonder woman show with NO Wonder Woman movie slated..

yea this is ass already :rip: 

wtf they rebooted the whole universe just to make it more confusing? :skull: 

smells like a flop already, and he’s definitely going to get dragged for keeping Viola (and Peacemaker seemingly)

I’m intrigued but I do feel not doing a complete reboot is a mistake. But I’m excited for Booster Gold and Lanterns. Superman: Legacy I’m cautiously excited for but I just don’t see James Gunn aesthetic working for Superman but prove me wrong!

The only thing I dislike is 2 Batman’s and slapping on Elseworld title to Matt Reeves and Todd Philips seems lazy and a misuse of the Elseworld stories. 

WB/DC win no matter what for me though bc I’ll watch and go see all these projects so they get my money no matter what 🤣

The ones complaining about DC elseworlds :rip:

The best movies will be there for sure 
They just opened the box for filmakers to do whatever they want without destroying the continuity 
Watch marvel steal from that if it successful 

Also only Gal, Henry and Ben being fired :rip:

It’s too early for a new DCU Batman and Superman. They should focus on villains and less popular characters for a minute. Reeves is doing incredible with his own universe, let him have Batman for a while. 

Damian being the first Robin introduced to the big screen in decades is also sooo… :rip: 

Elseworlds already looking better than the DCU tbh. 

Edited by Proseductice

2 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

They just opened the box for filmakers to do whatever they want without destroying the continuity 

The door is still "open" for Gal, just like for Momoa, Zachary Levi and Ezra Miller, but the other 2 got the boot officially

2 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

Gal is not yet fired.

"Similarly, Safran and Gunn left the door open for Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Zachary Levi to continue playing their respective DC superheroes of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash and Shazam, but Gunn reiterated that Henry Cavill will not continue as Superman."

4 minutes ago, mystery said:

Gal is not yet fired.

"Similarly, Safran and Gunn left the door open for Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Zachary Levi to continue playing their respective DC superheroes of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash and Shazam, but Gunn reiterated that Henry Cavill will not continue as Superman."

In the hollywood reporter said that everyone from the movies that are going to be released the next year can comeback 
That doesn't include Gal. Only Jason, Ezra, Zarachy and kid from Blue Beatle 

Before audiences get to those films and series, however, there is a matter of this year’s crop movies, starting with Shazam! Fury of the Gods, coming March 17, and continuing with The Flash (June 16), Blue Beetle (Aug. 18), and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec. 25).

The duo are high on the quartet, made by the previous film regime and under the aegis of DC Films, run by former head Walter Hamada. Gunn calls The Flash, directed by Andy Muschietti, “probably one of the greatest superhero movies ever made.”

He also said the four leads of those films could potentially continue playing their leading roles in DCU projects down the line. “There is nothing that prohibits that from happening,” said Gunn.

Edited by Digitalism

Just now, Digitalism said:

In the hollywood reporter it said that everyone from the movies that are going to be released the next year can comeback 
That doesn't include Gal. Only Jason, Ezra, Zarachy and kid from Blue Beatle

I was quoting the Variety article that just came out.

1 minute ago, mystery said:

I was quoting the Variety article that just came out.

I don't think there's a quote talking about Gal tho 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.