Aly & AJ - 'With Love From'

computer.boy

• ATRL Moderator

I understand not liking the material, that’s fine it’s definitely a slight change from ATOTB and obviously a big shift from Ten Years/Sanctuary, but I don’t think these tracks sound rushed or unpolished. The production on With Love From and Baby Lay Your Head Down is immaculate. The instrumentation sounds brilliant and their vocals really shine. Can’t speak to any other tracks bar After Hours, but I fail to see how any song they’ve released thus far can be deemed unpolished :rip:

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ampersand13

• Roger

• computer.boy

• Wrecked

Pretending the material sounds rushed and unpolished to justify your not liking it is odd. 

After Hours was what got me interested in the era again and title track grew on me tremendously. I expect this album to be a massive grower as a whole and will age well.

• ATRL Moderator

I just cannot get my head around them refusing to put up a pre-order for iTunes. I mean we had the tracklist back in August and With Love From (single) was released in the Fall, why not rack up as many pre-orders as you can (which I know still won’t be much for them but still isn’t that like the only benefit from starting an era months and months in advance?) 

Anyway, 3 days until we get this masterpiece in full :ghostface:

kind of sad how the material isn't resonating with people because they had so much hype from their previous two records. not for nothing but i hope that they go back to something more full and uptempo for their next record

My most anticipated song off the album. This song screams CLASSIC.

Edited by ozlovezashlee

• ATRL Moderator

Queens coming to serve indie excellence once again, and we are ready :jamming:

still no preadd? wild. stan these ladies though! they always deliver indie pop excellence :clap3:

can't wait for this! sounds like they've saved the best songs for the album.

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, JoeAg said:

still no preadd? wild. stan these ladies though! they always deliver indie pop excellence :clap3:

I think you can pre-add for Spotify and Apple Music but there’s no pre-order for iTunes unfortunately 

Link: https://ffm.to/alyandaj-withlovefrom

15 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

I think you can pre-add for Spotify and Apple Music but there’s no pre-order for iTunes unfortunately 

Link: https://ffm.to/alyandaj-withlovefrom

oh ya! no i think i did that a few weeks back but i just did it again in case so thank u :heart2: i just wish it like actually SHOWED up with the prerelease songs on their apple music page yknow? it’s kinda silly that they didn’t do that, but regardless we’re about to get yet another summery indie pop bible 

Need this already, can't hardly wait. 

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, JoeAg said:

oh ya! no i think i did that a few weeks back but i just did it again in case so thank u :heart2: i just wish it like actually SHOWED up with the prerelease songs on their apple music page yknow? it’s kinda silly that they didn’t do that, but regardless we’re about to get yet another summery indie pop bible 

I feel similarly, but yes so close!

I really can't wait for tomorrow, this album is gonna be solid. they really left the best songs by the end, we stan. :clap3:

also, some people say it sounds unpolished, yall clearly don't understand mixing. Now if the point is that you don't like it, well is nobody's fault that you're tasteless. :coffee2:

10 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

This must be out by now somewhere

it's out in 3 hours in NZ

• ATRL Moderator

It's out there now I believe! Can't wait to listen tomorrow! 

9 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

It's out there now I believe! Can't wait to listen tomorrow! 

it's out confirmed! :clap3:

Currently listening (in Australia so it’s out). For me personally, they’ve done it again. I did enjoy the prerelease singles but the album as a whole body of work is very solid. In the process of buying a car so this will be the album to christen it :heart:  I do hope they take another direction next album, but it’s a really great follow up to ATOTB :clap3:

Finished my first listen, and I’m not feeling this as much as their previous album, but that’s okay. Maybe it’s a grower.

Of the new tracks, the two that stood out to me were Open to Something and Talking in My Sleep.

the album is out??? so odd. I can't wait to listen. I'm pretty disappointed that what I've heard hasn't clicked but I love every record prior so I have no choice but to at least listen once or twice.

so far this era has been such a grower compared to ATOTB..... I haven't played the singles as much as I did ATOTB pre-release. But I'm still perched for the album

This is just my first listen to overall review. The album kinda goes high and low on quality for me but for sure has the best opener and closing that set the tone. All the songs sound amazing except Love You This Way, which is just indie generic and not at all reaching me. Masterpieces go to Sunchoke, Open To Something, With Love From, 6 months, etc. I only wonder why they chose the singles that they chose.

Overall the album feels like a Volume 2 from the previous one, very solid and a bit more relaxed. I would say that this is the Night Version, literally. 

9/10 1. “Open to Something and That Something Is You”
9/10 2. “With Love From”
7/10 3. “After Hours”
6.5/10 4. “Blue Dress”
4/10 5. “Love You This Way”
8/10 6. “Way of Nature, Way of Grace” (feat. Joy Oladokun)
8.5/10 7. “Tear the Night Up”
9/10 8. “Sunchoke”
8/10 9. “Talking in My Sleep”
5/10 10. “Baby Lay Your Head Down”
9/10 11. “6 Months of Staring Into the Sun"

Most liked: Sunchoke.

Less liked: Love You This Way.

Once again, they didn't disappoint and only showed growth in their music which made me so proud of them. Totally worth the listen, and replay value on many of the songs. A warning, don't expect "dance" bangers and so on, maybe with Tear The Night Up and Talking In My Sleep. 

BRAVO :clap3::heart2:

Edited by Stifler's Mom

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.