Update: HBO Max Lays Off 70% of Developmental Staff, No More Scripted Shows

Horizon Flame

Of the newer streaming platforms, HBOMax seemed like the best poised to compete with the likes of Netflix... 

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gwendolyn

• Horizon Flame

• Attitude

• orange22

16 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

The more logical decision would've been to just have HBO Max and Discovery+ be a bundle like how Disney+/Hulu are.

that bundle only exists because nbcuniversal owns a third of hulu. hulu will either be absorbed by disney+ or sold next year. 

41 minutes ago, orange22 said:

It's been known that the two were going to be merged into one service but most expected it would mean all the HBO Max and Discovery content would included into one big super service still under the existing HBO Max app (w/ most likely higher prices).

What this tweet is suggesting is far worse than literally anyone could've expected. Basically, it's saying Warner would be ditching the HBO Max name and branding to push Discovery to the forefront and HBO would just be a tab under the new service (literally, wtf :rip:) and the entire model shifting from creating more Max original programming to mostly unscripted content (so basically more junk like 90 Day Fiance and My 600 lb Life that was on Discovery's service). It would be bad news for fans of Max original shows like The Flight Attendant, Sex Lives of College Girls, Hacks and more. Oh and the price would most likely be the same or even higher :rip:.

I heard the reporter tweeting this is pretty unreliable so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I personally would be shocked if it's true bc it would be one of the fastest and swiftest self sabotages after such a promising start that I've ever seen. 

Edited by GeminiCat

No way. HBO Max is the only streaming service that matters to me. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot a thousand times over.  :deadbanana4:

I can’t see this happening. HBO/Max have had some great shows on the platform. Folding discovery+ into HBOmax or making it a bundle seem like a more logical choice. 

I view HBO Max as the continuation of The CW (which is also going down). With shows like Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin, the Gossip Girl reboot, ...And Just Like That, etc. I feel like they don't make those types of shows on other networks/streaming services anymore. So if this merge is true then they'll need to create a whole new service to take its place.

This cannot be true, who would think this is a good idea? :biblio:

HBO Max is on of the few movie/TV streaming services to make a significant commercial and critical dent, why would they want to throw away all the strides it's made? :deadbanana4:

4 minutes ago, GeminiCat said:

It's been known that the two were going to be merged into one service but most expected it would mean all the HBO Max and Discovery content would included into one big super service still under the existing HBO Max app (w/ most likely higher prices).

What this tweet is suggesting is far worse than literally anyone could've expected. Basically, it's saying Warner would be ditching the HBO Max name and branding to push Discovery to the forefront and HBO would just be a tab under the new service (literally, wtf :rip:) and the entire model shifting from creating more Max original programming to mostly unscripted content (so basically more junk like 90 Day Fiance and My 600 lb Life that was on Discovery's service). It would be bad news for fans of Max original shows like The Flight Attendant, Sex Lives of College Girls, Hacks and more. Oh and the price would most likely be the same or even higher :rip:.

I heard the reporter tweeting this is pretty unreliable so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I personally would be shocked if it's true bc it would be one of the fastest and swiftest self sabotages after such a promising start that I've ever seen. 

It’s a terrible idea yes. But I don’t think it would be that out of the question for Discovery now that they’re in charge. I mean look at their current programming. I truly hope this isn’t true and Grace has been wrong before but she’s not entirely unreliable and a lot of her tea has been true over the years. 

I hope not, because HBO Max really is the second-best streaming service.

That would be such a stupid move.  HBOMax is the superior streaming service. :biblio:

Honestly, this whole Warner Media/Discovery merger has been such a disaster. :coffee2:

The way this move would be absolutely horrid and make no sense at all.

3 minutes ago, orange22 said:

It’s a terrible idea yes. But I don’t think it would be that out of the question for Discovery now that they’re in charge. I mean look at their current programming. I truly hope this isn’t true and Grace has been wrong before but she’s not entirely unreliable and a lot of her tea has been true over the years. 

Discovery turns everything they touch to trash. If this happens, I hope HBO Now can make a comeback (regular HBO shows + movies). I'm not paying > $15/month for a supersized Discovery+ service with their garbage content :pukey:

3 minutes ago, GeminiCat said:

Discovery turns everything they touch to trash. If this happens, I hope HBO Now can make a comeback (regular HBO shows + movies). I'm not paying > $15/month for a supersized Discovery+ service with their garbage content :pukey:

Oh if this happens I will be swiftly cancelling my subscription.

9 minutes ago, Fanta said:

What about Euphoria though:redface:

4 minutes ago, XtunaStan said:

So no more Euphoria? :rip:

Euphoria is not an HBO Max original so I'm assuming it'll just air on the HBO cable channel. :rip:

23 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

What about their biggest show, Euphoria? :deadbanana2:

11 minutes ago, Fanta said:

What about Euphoria though:redface:

6 minutes ago, XtunaStan said:

So no more Euphoria? :rip:

Just like Succession, Euphoria is an HBO show that gets uploaded to HBOMax. Big difference.

So yeah, that will probably be the new strategy. No more HBOMax Original Shows (like Gossip Girl or Hacks), and instead they will focus on making content for the original cable company. 

theres no way theyre canceling their scripted programming when it just got nominated for a ****-ton of emmys. like no one is doing that.

This was bound to happen when streaming went mainstream and everyone tried to make their own content, but this absolute MESS :rip: HBOMax is the best streaming service, it better not.

Who even watches Discovery? It reeks of 50+ year old divorced dad binge watch on a Sunday morning. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.