The Little Mermaid (2023) | Makes a BIG streaming splash on Disney+ | 16M views! 🫧🐚

V$.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Lovett

• Aethereal

• chosensparkles

All that watery magic didn’t come cheap. “The Little Mermaid” has a $250 million production budget, so it will need to keep attracting crowds around the globe in order to break even. + the $80M of promo run

we need at least $600M I guess to break even?

Why do projections keep falling??

How is it doing internationally?

8 hours ago, MrLovett said:

I genuinely don't understand the issue with Awkwafina as Scuttle. I thought she was hilarious and the entire audience (especially the kids) was in hysterics over her. The juxtaposition to this forum is wild!

This. Atrl just follow the Awkwafina hate train.

She made my theater laugh out loud multiple times. And her song was also a nice funny addition.

The only bad new song is Prince Eric or maybe the actor just couldn't sing. He was so flatted.

Just now, Gwendolyn said:

1 Billion is out of the question :((

Frankly, the goal now should be to break even & not lose money.

Which will be difficult considering the upcoming competition nabbing screens worldwide.

10 minutes ago, Broken said:

They’re going to lose money if it only grosses $500M.

Budgets are out of control... @Disney

Elemental: $200M

Little Mermaid: $250M

Indiana Jones: $300M

:psyduck:

Not really. The soundtrack + merch will give some revenue to Disney. Maybe $1m when the movie run ends and $10m for the merch

And then itll go on blu ray etc + disney plus which should make it break even

But these days breaking even isnt enough

so around 200M for the 4-day weekend, since this international total is up until Sunday

I am sorry if this is stupid but I think the hot weather is keeping its numbers down. because the weather is nice, nobody wants to go to sit in a dark room to watch a movie (at least in Europe, where people have weather).

I have exams so can't watch it this weekend but I would love to have done so. If I didn't have exams, the sunny weather in my counrty would have made me think twice. if they can keep it in theatres for long enough so all the divorced girldads can take their snot nosed little brats to it when they have run out of ideas for them this summer, it might make money back that way.

Are the numbers really that bad?

Oh those international numbers are not….

Hopefully it’ll have legs and reach 600M which should be the break even point for this movie. I did my part and might go see it again next week.

hopefully the A cinema score will be enough to keep it going tbh

I expected a bomb in Asia but Western Europe?? Maybe the number will grow in the UK since school is out for a week but it's not looking good bruv.

wasn't $185M already planned tho? like did anyone expect over $200M?

Yea considering all the backlash it got in the beginning,I thought it was gonna bomb bomb and the fact that it's even breaking even is shocking tbh

Dr. Alexander
34 minutes ago, chosensparkles said:

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1662850650567499781?sDisney's The Little Mermaid grossed an estimated $95.5M domestically over the 3-day weekend (from 4,320 locations). Estimated 4-day weekend gross is $117.5M.

How could they give us the numbers for the entire weekend and it’s still Sunday morning?

Just now, Dr. Alexander said:

How could they give us the numbers for the entire weekend and it’s still Sunday morning?

it's predictions as always

It’s not looking good , let’s hope for legs :dancehall:

What do legs even mean? :doc:

Just now, DONTYELLATME said:

It’s not looking good , let’s hope for legs :dancehall:

just like Ariel did :busted:

• Haha 1

Overseas, Little Mermaid started off with a disappointing $68.3 million from 51 markets, including China, where the film drowned with a launch of just $2.5 million. Box office pundits say the social media campaign against a Black actress being cast as Ariel could be having an impact in Asian markets and elsewhere.

this is probably hte biggest reason! it's the first Disney live action where I saw THIS much hate and backlash happening tbh

Disney live actions are over. Snow White Is coming for 400M WW.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.