Which artists only became LGBTQ+'s allies after it was safe to do so?

brazil

4 hours ago, SavagePapi said:

Wait, what?! J.Lo?! J.Lo has been open and supportive of the LGBTQ community for years. :dies:

She's talked about being connected to the gay community before became famous. When asked if she's ever been to gay clubs growing up in NYC: "Yes. Escuelita. I’ve been connected with the gay community for a very long time."

When asked if she thinks about the Gay community when she records music: "To be honest, yes, I really do. I love dance music and I know that’s very big in the club culture and in the gay community, so I feel like you can’t not think about them. I also think about whether or not they’ll want to impersonate me. I’ll be like, “Is this outfit any good? Would any drag queen want to put this on? No? Then forget it — it’s not worth it.”

She performed at a once hugely popular gay event; White Party in Palm Springs (2002).

246ad56ce8f3f76219f4db623d9bfd91.jpg

She played a lesbian in the film, "Gigli" (2003).

MV5BMTg3NjYzNjczNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjY5

She also starred in "Will & Grace" (2004); and temporarily hired Jack as her backup dancer for Karen's wedding.

She's performed and headlined the 2006 NYC Heritage Gay Pride.

She produced and appeared in a MTV reality-TV series called, "DanceLife" (2007), that surrounded several dancers trying to get their big break in Hollywood. One dancer was bisexual, and another was gay, who made amends with his father on the show after they had a strained relationship due to his sexuality.

MV5BNjY5NzRkYmUtNDhiZi00ODE3LWE2ZGYtYjNj

Has supported gay marriage, and talked about it in an interview with 'The Advocate' in 2010; "I believe that when two people find each other and love each other, they should be able to spend their lives together". Also mentioned being supportive of her kids if either of them were gay, "Honestly, it wouldn’t bother me at all. I wouldn’t be shocked or anything. You just love your kids and want them to be happy, because it’s really about love. That’s what this is all about — I sing about it, I do movies about it, and that’s how I live my life."

Also, loves working with gay directors, "The Wedding Planner" (2001), "Monster In Law" (2005), "The Backup Plan" (2010). Stated, "gay directors have a certain sensitivity when it comes to women’s issues; I don’t know if that makes any sense, but that’s what I feel. They also have a tremendous sense of humor about life, so they know romantic comedy. I love them".

On who is her gay best friend, "Oh, God, I have so many, but my closest is my manager, Benny Medina. He’s the godfather to my child, so he’s become a part of my family. We understand each other, we love each other, we have a certain type of chemistry, we have similar work ethics, and we can talk about everything.

She produced the well received, lesbian-focused dramedy, "The Fosters" (2013-2018), on the ABC Family Channel. Later, producing the spin-off, "Good Trouble".

@Yudelkis @rzal An ally! :clap3:

4 hours ago, SchmoodRing said:

to my knowledge yes. especially considering she has a lesbian aunt and a non binary nibling.

I knew she's a queen :clap3:

2 hours ago, Archetype said:

Katy Perry to start.  I never really understood why she felt the need to release Ur So Gay or why it’s still up on music platforms.  Weirdly enough, Teenage Dream was extremely gay and yet I still don’t even think she was the most vocally supportive until her later albums.  I know she is genuinely supportive NOW but it took her a few eras to actually be loud about it.

Taylor Swift is a given.  Not surprising considering her upbringing and how she was only a teenager when she became famous, but she had plenty of opportunities as a young adult to be more vocal about LGBTQ+ issues and only really made it part of her platform over the past few years.

Nicki Minaj comes to mind, but it’s weird because she’s supported the community early on while also like… mocking us at the same time?  The men she collaborated with and dated were predominantly homophobic as were some of her or their lyrics, so I am more inclined to say she’s still not really the most outspoken about our issues even today given the hypocrisy of her actions.  

Katy had two men kissing in Firework. It was controversial back then. https://www.queerty.com/the-gay-kiss-in-katy-perrys-firework-is-too-hot-for-british-television-20101106.  

Nicki seems a bit homophobic to me. Maybe it's self hate and she's not really ex bisexual. :mandown:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SavagePapi

• brazil

• More Than A Melody

• WildHeart

5 minutes ago, rzal said:

I knew she's a queen :clap3:

Katy had two men kissing in Firework. It was controversial back then. https://www.queerty.com/the-gay-kiss-in-katy-perrys-firework-is-too-hot-for-british-television-20101106.  

Nicki seems a bit homophobic to me. Maybe it's self hate and she's not really ex bisexual. :mandown:

Yes I recall that, but the entire TD era was extremely gay yet only had one moment of actual representation.  I’m not saying I don’t applaud her for the inclusion, but to me, it wasn’t the same as actually speaking up about LGBTQ+ issues in interviews and on social media.  She is a big vocal ally now, but was much more quiet on political and social matters at that point in time.  

5 hours ago, SavagePapi said:

Wait, what?! J.Lo?! J.Lo has been open and supportive of the LGBTQ community for years. :dies:

She's talked about being connected to the gay community before became famous. When asked if she's ever been to gay clubs growing up in NYC: "Yes. Escuelita. I’ve been connected with the gay community for a very long time."

When asked if she thinks about the Gay community when she records music: "To be honest, yes, I really do. I love dance music and I know that’s very big in the club culture and in the gay community, so I feel like you can’t not think about them. I also think about whether or not they’ll want to impersonate me. I’ll be like, “Is this outfit any good? Would any drag queen want to put this on? No? Then forget it — it’s not worth it.”

She performed at a once hugely popular gay event; White Party in Palm Springs (2002).

246ad56ce8f3f76219f4db623d9bfd91.jpg

She played a lesbian in the film, "Gigli" (2003).

MV5BMTg3NjYzNjczNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjY5

She also starred in "Will & Grace" (2004); and temporarily hired Jack as her backup dancer for Karen's wedding.

She's performed and headlined the 2006 NYC Heritage Gay Pride.

She produced and appeared in a MTV reality-TV series called, "DanceLife" (2007), that surrounded several dancers trying to get their big break in Hollywood. One dancer was bisexual, and another was gay, who made amends with his father on the show after they had a strained relationship due to his sexuality.

MV5BNjY5NzRkYmUtNDhiZi00ODE3LWE2ZGYtYjNj

Has supported gay marriage, and talked about it in an interview with 'The Advocate' in 2010; "I believe that when two people find each other and love each other, they should be able to spend their lives together". Also mentioned being supportive of her kids if either of them were gay, "Honestly, it wouldn’t bother me at all. I wouldn’t be shocked or anything. You just love your kids and want them to be happy, because it’s really about love. That’s what this is all about — I sing about it, I do movies about it, and that’s how I live my life."

Also, loves working with gay directors, "The Wedding Planner" (2001), "Monster In Law" (2005), "The Backup Plan" (2010). Stated, "gay directors have a certain sensitivity when it comes to women’s issues; I don’t know if that makes any sense, but that’s what I feel. They also have a tremendous sense of humor about life, so they know romantic comedy. I love them".

On who is her gay best friend, "Oh, God, I have so many, but my closest is my manager, Benny Medina. He’s the godfather to my child, so he’s become a part of my family. We understand each other, we love each other, we have a certain type of chemistry, we have similar work ethics, and we can talk about everything.

She produced the well received, lesbian-focused dramedy, "The Fosters" (2013-2018), on the ABC Family Channel. Later, producing the spin-off, "Good Trouble".

@Yudelkis @rzal An ally! :clap3:

2 hours ago, Yudelkis said:

:clap3:

Gay-Lo !

@brazil I'm gay because of her, so bye Felicia.

Her whole entourage is gay, from Scott Barnes (her make-up artist) to Benny Medina (her manager). :toofunny3:

She was supporting Ricky Martin before he came out.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

@CosTaSsSs @Dabbyy @DanceAgain

:heart2:

Well, I be dammed. It looks like gaylo is a true ally!!

3 hours ago, Cheers said:

The receipts :ahh: JLO LATINA LEGEND was always a LGBT supporter since her Aunt is a lesbian!

+

JLO helping a gay student

Anti-Gay group protesting JLO's TV series - 2012

HRC Award for Gay rights advocacy - 2013

3 hours ago, Yudelkis said:

Mess at the Twitter comments. :toofunny3:

This is not a Drag Queen, it's a Chola.

Jennifer explain this here :

But I guess Cholas looks are infamous outside USA. @SavagePapi 

Like, JLegend is literally THE Gay Latin Icon. :dies:

And yes! She said her favorite aunt was a lesbian. "Tia Myrza was my cool aunt. She was my mom’s older sister. I lived in the Bronx and she lived in Manhattan. And she wanted to be an actress and I always wanted to be like her. What I didn't realise was that she was struggling with being gay. At that time, families didn't sit around a dinner table and talk about tolerance and acceptance. Life was different and it is heartbreaking for me to think about it now. The people she watched on TV didn't represent her. Movies didn't represent her. She thought she was alone."

Myrza became the reason why she felt the need to produce, "The Fosters".

I also forgot to add that in "Get Right" (2005), she also plays a go-go dancer who blatantly tells the person that she's speaking with on the phone that's she's "at the gay club".

An ally! :clap3:

jennifer-lopez-getting-ready.gif

Lastly, @brazil I think you named the wrong Latin Legend. There's another superstar from Latin America (whom I don't know), that barely, if ever, supports the gay community to this extent.

5 hours ago, Yudelkis said:

:clap3:

Gay-Lo !

@brazil I'm gay because of her, so bye Felicia.

Her whole entourage is gay, from Scott Barnes (her make-up artist) to Benny Medina (her manager). :toofunny3:

She was supporting Ricky Martin before he came out.

@CosTaSsSs @Dabbyy @DanceAgain

:heart2:

And let's not forget that our Queen was raised in a family where her aunt was lesbian and her sister's child is trans. The audacity and lack of knowledge here is insane. lol

1 hour ago, SavagePapi said:

Like, JLegend is literally THE Gay Latin Icon. :dies:

And yes! She said her favorite aunt was a lesbian. "Tia Myrza was my cool aunt. She was my mom’s older sister. I lived in the Bronx and she lived in Manhattan. And she wanted to be an actress and I always wanted to be like her. What I didn't realise was that she was struggling with being gay. At that time, families didn't sit around a dinner table and talk about tolerance and acceptance. Life was different and it is heartbreaking for me to think about it now. The people she watched on TV didn't represent her. Movies didn't represent her. She thought she was alone."

Myrza became the reason why she felt the need to produce, "The Fosters".

I also forgot to add that in "Get Right" (2005), she also plays a go-go dancer who blatantly tells the person that she's speaking with on the phone that's she's "at the gay club".

An ally! :clap3:

jennifer-lopez-getting-ready.gif

Lastly, @brazil I think you named the wrong Latin Legend. There's another superstar from Latin America (whom I don't know), that barely, if ever, supports the gay community to this extent.

Are we talking about a certain Colombian superstar? :mandown:

50 minutes ago, brazil said:

Are we talking about a certain Colombian superstar? :mandown:

I think that's the one. :gaycat4: 

I don't think she ever publicly supported the gay community in the 2000s, nevermind in the 90s.

Maybe her fans can correct me if I'm wrong. I certainly never heard about it tbh.

giphy.gif

Taylor Swift immediately came to mind. she only started supporting LGBT once it was safe and beneficial to her career

I'm a Taylor die hard and even I have to admit that she's one that comes to mind. 

Better late than never I guess? She also supported that bill, so she's trying

On 5/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, Rith said:

other than the obvious one, nicki, xtina, lana and rihanna i guess? lana doesn't have a choice but to support 90% of her fanbase and nicki is lowkey gay icon and also collabed with 6ix9ine who is gay. are rih and xtina even supporting gays now?

If you don't know then sit this topic out next time, instead of dragging some of the biggest LGBTQ supporters into your lies.

Xtina has always been an LGBTQ ally and supporter. She featured TransLash, TransTech and other trans supporting organizations in her most recent fundraising effort. She headlined the queer-led music festival LadyLand. And continues to support many LGBTQ organizations through her philanthropy. X unlike other artists actually put her money behind her activism.

And Rih has featured multiple queer and trans icons in her Fenty line/shows.

12 hours ago, Archetype said:

Yes I recall that, but the entire TD era was extremely gay yet only had one moment of actual representation.  I’m not saying I don’t applaud her for the inclusion, but to me, it wasn’t the same as actually speaking up about LGBTQ+ issues in interviews and on social media.  She is a big vocal ally now, but was much more quiet on political and social matters at that point in time.  

There are definitely artists who promoted themselves as LGBT allies to promote their music. And then they switched  to promote other types of music.

Op: definitely Taylor. And yntcd would have made sense if it was released 10 years ago

Edited by Watson!

Literally everyone but Madonna, Christina, and Britney

52 minutes ago, PopNStuff said:

If you don't know then sit this topic out next time, instead of dragging some of the biggest LGBTQ supporters into your lies.

Xtina has always been an LGBTQ ally and supporter. She featured TransLash, TransTech and other trans supporting organizations in her most recent fundraising effort. She headlined the queer-led music festival LadyLand. And continues to support many LGBTQ organizations through her philanthropy. X unlike other artists actually put her money behind her activism.

hmm is this why xtina was mocking gaga by saying that she doesn't know whether gaga is a he or she? or was that a stunt to increase trans visibility? what an ally!

6 minutes ago, Rith said:

hmm is this why xtina was mocking gaga by saying that she doesn't know whether gaga is a he or she? or was that a stunt to increase trans visibility? what an ally!

Go get some fresh air, it'll do you some good. Xtina's record on LGBTQ+ support is quite clear - and to entertain your ignorance for a second, when she was asked she didn't know who Lady Gaga was and said so, she could have easily assumed it was a drag queen. Anyways, that was over a decade ago, but here are her recent receipts. And why did you stay silent on Rihanna?

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/05/16/christina-aguilera-pride-collection-trans-charities-transtech-translash/

https://www.papermag.com/ladyland-christina-aguilera-2654736924.html

https://www.aidshealth.org/2021/12/ahf-marks-world-aids-day-with-christina-aguilera-jennifer-hudson-in-los-angeles/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ahf-marks-world-aids-day-with-christina-aguilera-jennifer-hudson-in-los-angeles

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO3q2y7jVIN/

I would say Nicki, but she doesn't even support us now :deadbanana2:

5 minutes ago, PopNStuff said:

Go get some fresh air, it'll do you some good. Xtina's record on LGBTQ+ support is quite clear - and to entertain your ignorance for a second, when she was asked she didn't know who Lady Gaga was and said so, she could have easily assumed it was a drag queen. Anyways, that was over a decade ago, but here are her recent receipts. And why did you stay silent on Rihanna?

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/05/16/christina-aguilera-pride-collection-trans-charities-transtech-translash/

https://www.papermag.com/ladyland-christina-aguilera-2654736924.html

https://www.aidshealth.org/2021/12/ahf-marks-world-aids-day-with-christina-aguilera-jennifer-hudson-in-los-angeles/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ahf-marks-world-aids-day-with-christina-aguilera-jennifer-hudson-in-los-angeles

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO3q2y7jVIN/

why shouldn't i be silent about rihanna part. i asked a question whether she supported gays now, i didn't know that she did :deadbanana4: 

and about xtina, sorry i don't have the willpower to read all that. i am sure she is at fault tho, she is giving that kinda vibes :hippo:

1 hour ago, PopNStuff said:

Xtina will also be performing at the amfAR gala later this month.

19 minutes ago, Rith said:

and about xtina, sorry i don't have the willpower to read all that. i am sure she is at fault tho, she is giving that kinda vibes :hippo:

"she's giving that kinda vibes" according to a random internet forum user vs. the actual evidence of her activism and charity work. i wonder who's more credible :cm:

On 5/7/2022 at 2:35 PM, wehan6 said:

judy garland

liza minnelli

madonna

cher

barbra streisand

dolly parton

kylie minogue

lady gaga

dont forget elton :clap3: perfect list lets be real

Taylor Swift & Beyoncé are the correct answers.

I guess lowkey Rihanna too, I feel like she avoids speaking about any social causes to be honest

14 hours ago, PopNStuff said:

Mess @ you excluding the Beautiful music video.

I think that might actually have been the first time I ever saw 2 men kissing, that was very ahead of it’s time. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.