Which artists only became LGBTQ+'s allies after it was safe to do so?

brazil

Taylor Swift is THE answer for this 

It only took her 10 years to support gays and only when it was cool Lmao 

:swan:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SavagePapi

• brazil

• More Than A Melody

• WildHeart

Taylor Swift and she's going to do the same with the Roe vs Wade situation. :coffee2:

Can't believe people are actually saying Gaga. Just go to her concert half her speeches are about Gay rights 

7 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

I’m a huge Gaga fan and have been since The Fame… but I absolutely believe she isn’t really bisexual. I think she had an experience with a girl once before she got famous and has milked it ever since to seem more connected with her LGBT fan base. 

She had never been romantically linked to a woman in the 15 years she has been famous and has exclusively dated (and been engaged to a few) men. She still likes to give a *wink wink* “you know, I’m bi btw” occasionally, but it has always been just talk. I don’t think a most fans want to acknowledge that. 

She basically said she was straight on Drag Race in 2017. But yeah its a little questionable how just about every pop girl from that gen is an ex-bisexual :dies:

Edited by Orsay

No hating but Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, Adele come to mind.

3 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Can't believe people are actually saying Gaga. Just go to her concert half her speeches are about Gay rights 

They're just delusional d*mb brainless trolls/haters.

5 hours ago, Sesame said:

Pretty sure ariana hates her brother and was secretly homophobic until she met another gay person.

:bibliahh:

1 hour ago, meangreen11 said:

I understand the concept you’re speaking of. I know people who are bisexual but in a straight relationship, but they still have a history of at least some notable, if casual, involvement 

I still don’t think Gaga is bi though. She wrote “Poker Face” at the height of the trend of claiming to be bi for attention in the late 00’s and has conveniently never written about women since. Also if someone says they’re “bi” but exclusively date the opposite sex, that probably says something, no? Whether it’s related to what they think others will think, or what they themselves feel. If we’re talking Kinsey scale she’s a 1, 2 at best. 

It’s very on par with Harry Styles currently jumping on the ambiguous bandwagon for clout. 

Shut up with your nonsense 

Anyone saying Beyoncé must not be black. She has always given visibility to queer poc in her art. Y’all need to get educated. 

The correct answer is Swift. She only became vocal when it was socially and commercially viable for her. She’s been pretty quiet as the US has been running rampant with anti LGBT legislation. 

Edited by suneclipse121

the picture to burn (homophobic version) songstress easily

people saying gaga :rip: i get being delusional towards an artist that you hate is the thing but get a ******* grip :deadbanana: she literally wrote an entire album for you :rip:

Edited by Bussea

8 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

I’m a huge Gaga fan and have been since The Fame… but I absolutely believe she isn’t really bisexual. I think she had an experience with a girl once before she got famous and has milked it ever since to seem more connected with her LGBT fan base. 

She had never been romantically linked to a woman in the 15 years she has been famous and has exclusively dated (and been engaged to a few) men. She still likes to give a *wink wink* “you know, I’m bi btw” occasionally, but it has always been just talk. I don’t think a most fans want to acknowledge that. 

Lady Gaga Kisses a Girl on a Boat, Photographs Exist, Bisexuality Exists |  Autostraddle

wink wink

57 minutes ago, Jude said:

Miley Cyrus

200.gif

5 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

You know damn well that a woman still can be bisexual AND married to a man, right?

There are MANY bi people who are "exclusively" dating the opposite sex but that's doesn't change the fact that they are STILL bisexual.

Please get educated before erasing people's identities/sexualities.  :rip: 

THANK YOU :deadbanana: discourse around Gaga and her sexuality is so irritating because the people dragging her have such a narrow minded concept of bisexuality and think that every body who is bisexual is 50/50 and has to hop between genders. Gaga literally spoke about her sexuality being erased during her Stonewall Speech but people continue to say stupid **** like this or flaunt how they misunderstood wtf she said during her Rupaul ep. The fact that she still has to keep clarifying :rip:

2 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

Only Madonna out of these names you mentioned qualifies. Are you really comparing Firework and it's MV to....Born This Way? :skull: Miss me with all this "they did it before her!!" bs because everyone knows Gaga was and still is the most vocal pop star from that era about the LGBTQ+ community.

Girl it's not about what you "think" :rip: If she says she's bi and she's had experiences with women then she is and it's not us who get to decide that.

Also its absolutely NOT similar to what Harry is doing, please :rip: 

The day y'all realize that multi gender attracted people don't need to perform their sexuality to you because you're not entitled to see everything about strangers' lives...

Gaga said she's bi so she's bi. You can argue Harry, though to me that's also pretty self explanatory, but if a person tells you their sexuality, you just stop talking and take their word for it.

Debating whether Shawn is straight or not or whether Gaga is bi or not, even calling someone who never in 12 years of career said he was straight like Harry, straight... just because of what you see of their personal lives/stereotypes is literally so disturbing and it's giving terminally online and creepy.

1 hour ago, suneclipse121 said:

Anyone saying Beyoncé must not be black. She has always given visibility to queer poc in her art. Y’all need to get educated. 

The Greenlight video came right to mind. And I think it goes as far back as Bills, Bills, Bills with Destiny's Child as well. I think certain criticism can be made of popstars like her, and even my fave Rih, where they featured queer people and artists in their music and videos without being as outspoken. But acting like there was no association at all is inaccurate and ignorant. 

OT: I think sometimes people forget that the average person, not just popstars concerned with commercial success which is maintained most times by being mainstream politically, don't do the work they need to regarding marginalized communities. So while the answer to this question is blatantly Taylor Swift, I don't think we should be grossly judgemental. She seems to have made progress in her outspokenness over the years and while it's valid criticism to question her lateness, some grace should be shown too.

10 hours ago, Century said:

Taylor.

I think Beyoncé’s late adoption was more about coming from a place of ignorance and needing to be educated.

Taylor Swift lives on the internet/social media and still turned a blind eye for a decade despite constant exposure.

the same bey who had a gay uncle she loved very much…? :skull:  when has she ever gave homophobic teas?

Not the OP doing a lot on J.Lo when this moment was CAMP in 2005.

In defense of Taylor, if you watch the Miss Americana documentary she talks about how she was hushed by her label on speaking about any political/social issues to keep up her good girl/"girl next door" image. Hence, when she changed her label, she suddenly became very vocal about her political and social stances. Also, she voiced her support for LGBTQ+ as far as 2014 with the Welcome To New York lyric ("boys and boys and girls and girls"). I believe her 100%, she seems like a very genuine and advocative person and she's more than made up for her years of silence since the Lover era where she's become very vocal and supportive. :michael:

8 minutes ago, BlackStar_93 said:

In defense of Taylor, if you watch the Miss Americana documentary she talks about how she was hushed by her label on speaking about any political/social issues to keep up her good girl/"girl next door" image. Hence, when she changed her label, she suddenly became very vocal about her political and social stances. Also, she voiced her support for LGBTQ+ as far as 2014 with the Welcome To New York lyric ("boys and boys and girls and girls"). I believe her 100%, she seems like a very genuine and advocative person and she's more than made up for her years of silence since the Lover era where she's become very vocal and supportive. :michael:

Taylor is powerful in the industry, there was no way she wasn’t allowed to say what she wants when even someone like Demi Lovato is allowed to

Taylor definitely.

Funny how her rabid stans are SILENT on this since this is not a topic where they can throw numbers around :lmao:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.