Which artists only became LGBTQ+'s allies after it was safe to do so?

brazil

some harry stans breaking their heels coming here for Taylor nnnn the audacity :dies:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SavagePapi

• brazil

• More Than A Melody

• WildHeart

1 hour ago, Sombre said:

Y'all really out here saying anything and everything to hate on Gaga. :bibliahh:

I’m a huge Gaga fan and have been since The Fame… but I absolutely believe she isn’t really bisexual. I think she had an experience with a girl once before she got famous and has milked it ever since to seem more connected with her LGBT fan base. 

She had never been romantically linked to a woman in the 15 years she has been famous and has exclusively dated (and been engaged to a few) men. She still likes to give a *wink wink* “you know, I’m bi btw” occasionally, but it has always been just talk. I don’t think a most fans want to acknowledge that. 

Bad Bunia is the only right answer

53 minutes ago, wehan6 said:

judy garland

liza minnelli

madonna

cher

barbra streisand

dolly parton

kylie minogue

lady gaga

This is a joke, right?

other than the obvious one, nicki, xtina, lana and rihanna i guess? lana doesn't have a choice but to support 90% of her fanbase and nicki is lowkey gay icon and also collabed with 6ix9ine who is gay. are rih and xtina even supporting gays now?

Technically it was safer and more accepted or "mainstream" for pretty much anyone that came after Madonna, she is the original LGBTQ ally in pop music and she contributed so much to the progress that has been made since then. 

I'm not gonna say any names, but I do think it's sad that certain singers/celebrities nowadays only ever seem to care about LGBTQ issues when they want to sell a product and otherwise they're silent. 

Edited by SlowGinFizzzz

52 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

2008, early enough? 

No shade at all…

However, given Swifts audience, and the music she released circa. 2006-2013, it would make sense that she didn’t take a grand stand for LGBT+ rights during that time. Country radio was her biggest supporter and I’m sure the country radio DJ’s, as well as her marketing team, would have had something to say should she have turned into the “Madonna of the Deep-South”. 

Again, for years people thought she was a Republican especially given her family background so we know politics heavily influenced her career moves at one point.  

:michael:

The country music audience is still very ignorant towards LGBT+ issues and equality and it was worst pre-2010. Only in recent times have we had more and more Country music stars (mostly Female, as always) speaking in favour of same-sex marriage and LGBT rights. 

I’ve listened to Country music for a long time and, as far back as the late ‘90’s (when I started following Pop/Celebrity culture) and going into the 2000’s, the only Country music stars that would show their support for the aforementioned were Dolly Parton, Reba McEntire and The Chicks. Garth Brooks was perhaps the only male who ever done so. Then came Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert thereafter and so on. 

The only benefit Swift had was that she had a younger, teen-based, audience, who are more open & accepting, and even then you never truly heard her opinions on it, only after she immersed herself in mainstream Pop music. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

1 hour ago, Century said:

Taylor.

I think Beyoncé’s late adoption was more about coming from a place of ignorance and needing to be educated.

Taylor Swift lives on the internet/social media and still turned a blind eye for a decade despite constant exposure.

Did Beyoncé herself tell you that? Beyoncé grew up around gay man her uncle Johnny being one of them. Beyoncé treats people as equals… what the LGBTQ community strives for. 

Edited by QueenBeyoncé

4 minutes ago, SlowGinFizzzz said:

Technically it was safer and more accepted or "mainstream" for pretty much anyone that came after Madonna, she is the original LGBTQ ally in pop music and she contributed a lot to the progress that has been made since then. 

I'm not gonna say any names, but I do think it's sad that certain singers nowadays only ever seem to care about LGBTQ issues when they want to sell a product and otherwise they're silent. 

All of this. Madonna is the OG and the true ally

I’m not a Madonna stan but those of y’all saying Madonna honestly disgust me :biblio:

6 minutes ago, QueenBeyoncé said:

Did Beyoncé herself tell you that? Beyoncé grew up around gay man her uncle Johnny being one of them. Beyoncé treats people as equals… what the LGBTQ community strives for. 

She also has some questionable statements in her past. The point is that nobody sane is doubting whether her intentions are good in the present. :deadbanana2:

1 hour ago, More Than A Melody said:

Gaga has been supportive since the start of her career, this has got to be sarcasm. When she released BTW it wasn't mainstream to support the community at all. It became mainstream when being "woke" became mainstream. AKA in the past 3/5 years. Gaga can't exactly get a time machine and debut before she did to make it more taboo to support the community. Also, isn't she bi herself? :rip: 

Jesus, I defended her. Ofc it's not her fault or something she should be attacked for. Neither should her contributions for the community be belittled for the circumstance that women like Lady Di, who worked with gay men suffering from AIDS, faced harder backlash and took greater risks for standing up for the community. 

43 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

D2J9TerX0AAFNI_.png

She wouldn't be in favor of something she oppose, would she? :rip:

PLEASE :bibliahh:a line in a song doesn’t mean ****! She hasn’t taken a public stance on anything before it became trendy to do so. She only does it subtly so she doesn’t alienate her conservative listeners

38 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

Stop talking about Britney

They can’t! Britney is what haters LIVE FOR!

OT: Madonna was literally hugging gay men who were HIV positive when the ignorant GP thought you could catch it by contact. Madonna literally ran for y’all to type mean comments about her on a forum 

Gaga on the other hand literally has a career due to always being so vocal about supporting the LGBT community 

if you’re a gay member on this forum, y’all seriously need to educate yourselves on this history 

13 minutes ago, QueenBeyoncé said:

Did Beyoncé herself tell you that? Beyoncé grew up around gay man her uncle Johnny being one of them. Beyoncé treats people as equals. 

Please…

Beyonce has been speaking on LGBT+ issues/Her Gay audience since she was in Destiny’s Child. Tina Knowles’ crew was comprised of nothing but mostly Gay Black men, a lot of whom Beyoncé grew up around, thus she was always exposed to us and many of them worked with her, were a part of her crew and are still close friends with her. 

:rip:

The socio-political conversation surrounding LGBT rights has changed over the last several decades especially. What is being spoken about now certainly wasn’t being spoken about, on prominent mainstream platforms, in the 1990’s and even early 2000’s. You had openly Gay artists: Elton John, George Michael and several strong Gay allies: Madonna, Janet Jackson, Dolly Parton, Whoopi Goldberg, Patti Labelle, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Pink etc. but it still didn’t always feel like it was enough. 

If it were always okay, two grown men kissing in an Aguilera music video, released in 2002, wouldn’t have caused it to be banned in multiple countries; a playful kiss between two grown women on stage, during an award show performance in 2004, wouldn’t have caused the maniacal media response it did and have conservative politicians demean and degrade Gay people on live television. 

:rip:

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

20 minutes ago, BloodLuster said:

some harry stans breaking their heels coming here for Taylor nnnn the audacity :dies:

I'm the only Harry stan I see in this thread so far, and I commented that Harry was supportive since 2010, aka when he first became famous, then defended Gaga. About 25 people had mentioned Taylor by then, none of them fans of Harry, and I still hadn't lmfao. And the only mention I did of Taylor was HER OWN QUOTE about this subject...

I think you're projecting. Also "the audacity" you literally can't acuse Harry Styles of jumping on the support trend for woke points when he was supportive since the second he got a platform. Half a decade before marriage equality became legal in the US or the UK and when calling people "gay" was still an acceptable insult. There are other things you can get away with saying about him (personally I think they're very much lies, but to each their own), but this? Nah, sis.

You're gonna have to cope with the fact that this entire thread, and fans of multiple artists, are calling out the same person over and over without deflecting, for once.

57 minutes ago, truthteller said:

ur so gay singer/songwriters :cm:

Don't forget these from the same Dr. Luke employee songwriter:

You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes
Yeah you, PMS
Like a *****

:spin: Shameful.

katy-perry-cry.gif

1 hour ago, wehan6 said:

madonna

She was speaking about how AIDS was ravaging our community, visiting people in the hospital, and holding charity events. On what planet was it safe for her to do so?

1 minute ago, The7thStranger said:

She was speaking about how AIDS was ravaging our community, visiting people in the hospital, and holding charity events. On what planet was it safe for her to do so?

You're quoting a bitter Katy Perry stan. Don't waste the energy.

5 minutes ago, TheRealGâteau said:

Jesus, I defended her. Ofc it's not her fault or something she should be attacked for. Neither should her contributions for the community be belittled for the circumstance that women like Lady Di, who worked with gay men suffering from AIDS, faced harder backlash and took greater risks for standing up for the community. 

Why even mention Gaga? LMAO. Of course it wasn't the same as when Madonna did it... thankfully times changed in between, but when Born This Way came out supporting the community was VERY MUCH still not generalized. It wasn't as risky as when Madonna did it, but I wouldn't say it was "safe", it was still seen as controversial in a lot of parts of the world and even the US. It didn't become safe-safe, aka fully mainstream and a possible marketing tool in the last... 5 years or so. Let's not act brand new because if we take it as literally as you're taking it, then nobody who debuted from the 90s forward counts, the point of this thread is who hopped on a beneficial train.

9 minutes ago, pieceofgök said:

PLEASE :bibliahh:a line in a song doesn’t mean ****! She hasn’t taken a public stance on anything before it became trendy to do so. She only does it subtly so she doesn’t alienate her conservative listeners

She was celebrating U.S. Supreme Court's decision about the legalization of same-sex marriage in that post. What is "subtle" about that? :rip:

Edited by Artistofthedecade

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You're quoting a bitter Katy Perry stan. Don't waste the energy.

Yikes.

Honestly, people don't seem to get what the question is. A lot of the names being thrown out do not qualify. How can one only become a gay icon after it was safe when they weren't even active at truly dreadful times in queer history? :toofunny3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.