Which artists only became LGBTQ+'s allies after it was safe to do so?

brazil

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SavagePapi

• brazil

• More Than A Melody

• WildHeart

I don't even like Gaga but she literally brought gay to the mainstream, y'all have to be trolling...

Britney obviously has loved the gays since the beginning...

The answer is Taylor Swift. And I like Taylor. But my GOD was the YNTCD era annoying, where were you before it was safe to support us?

Everyone except those who were doing it from day one like Madonna, Gaga, Mariah, Cher.

Pretty sure ariana hates her brother and was secretly homophobic until she met another gay person.

2 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

I’m a huge Gaga fan and have been since The Fame… but I absolutely believe she isn’t really bisexual. I think she had an experience with a girl once before she got famous and has milked it ever since to seem more connected with her LGBT fan base. 

She had never been romantically linked to a woman in the 15 years she has been famous and has exclusively dated (and been engaged to a few) men. She still likes to give a *wink wink* “you know, I’m bi btw” occasionally, but it has always been just talk. I don’t think a most fans want to acknowledge that. 

You know damn well that a woman still can be bisexual AND married to a man, right?

There are MANY bi people who are "exclusively" dating the opposite sex but that's doesn't change the fact that they are STILL bisexual.

Please get educated before erasing people's identities/sexualities.  :rip: 

y’all are so unserious unironically saying Gaga… 

1 hour ago, CandleGuy said:

I don't even like Gaga but she literally brought gay to the mainstream, y'all have to be trolling...

Madonna (Erotica album, her AIDS awareness activism, countless interviews) Christina (Beautiful mv) and Katy (Firework mv) all did it before her, she didn’t bring anything new to the table (for the gay matter at least, she was the first famous woman to mention trans lives in her music).

3 hours ago, GentleDance said:

It's the self-hating Nicki, Azealia... fans running to say Taylor for me :bibliahh:

Nicki has been supportive of LGBT people long before Taylor was let’s not

• ATRL Moderator

Taylor made it known that she was an ally for years, (the PSA she did in 2008, the gay boy in the Mean video, etc)  but she has been honest about the fact that she could have advocated more than she did early on.  The whole Miss Americana doc goes into why she was scared to speak out about anything for a long time.  The important thing is that she acknowledged it, has grown up and has really made an effort to do more to help. 

4 minutes ago, Nip Tuck said:

Nicki has been supportive of LGBT people long before Taylor was let’s not

“Who want it with Nicki now/I smoke ‘em like hippies now/they see me say ‘Yippie’ now/home runnin’ like Griffey now/they switchin’ like sissies now/you niggas is iffy now.”

"First they love you/then they switch/they switch like f*ggots." 

"Used to **** with Young Thug/I ain’t addressing this ****/caught him in my dressing room / stealing dresses and **** / I used to give this ***** with a lisp testers and **** / how you want the pu-thy? / Can’t say S’s and ****."

1 minute ago, GentleDance said:

“Who want it with Nicki now/I smoke ‘em like hippies now/they see me say ‘Yippie’ now/home runnin’ like Griffey now/they switchin’ like sissies now/you niggas is iffy now.”

"First they love you/then they switch/they switch like f*ggots." 

"Used to **** with Young Thug/I ain’t addressing this ****/caught him in my dressing room / stealing dresses and **** / I used to give this ***** with a lisp testers and **** / how you want the pu-thy? / Can’t say S’s and ****."

:rip:

The only homophobic thing here is a lyric from 15 years ago?

I knew you would include that fake ass tweet though. The Young Thug line is a reference to him wearing a dress on a magazine shoot… not sure why that was included considering he’s a whole straight man? Unless you’re implying him wearing a dress means he’s not?

Anyway, somebody who doesn’t support the LGBT community wouldn’t cover OUT at the start of her career and talk about her love for her gay fans and hoping to bridge the gap for gay people in hip hop. Nor would they include transwomen in their music video. Nor would they tweet abt their love for drag queens and pride parades.

Yall can twist her lyrics from over a decade ago all y’all want tho. Katy made songs like Ur So Gay and IKAG but nobody with a brain would deny she supports LGBT people.

The people here trying to rewrite history by saying Gaga… absolutely not. 

5 hours ago, BlondGuts said:

Bad Bunia is the only right answer

5 hours ago, terrorblade said:

iKREHCSm.jpg

:bibliahh:

OT: Obvious answer :eli:

Rihanna obviously 

3 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

You know damn well that a woman still can be bisexual AND married to a man, right?

There are MANY bi people who are "exclusively" dating the opposite sex but that's doesn't change the fact that they are STILL bisexual.

Please get educated before erasing people's identities/sexualities.  :rip: 

I understand the concept you’re speaking of. I know people who are bisexual but in a straight relationship, but they still have a history of at least some notable, if casual, involvement 

I still don’t think Gaga is bi though. She wrote “Poker Face” at the height of the trend of claiming to be bi for attention in the late 00’s and has conveniently never written about women since. Also if someone says they’re “bi” but exclusively date the opposite sex, that probably says something, no? Whether it’s related to what they think others will think, or what they themselves feel. If we’re talking Kinsey scale she’s a 1, 2 at best. 

It’s very on par with Harry Styles currently jumping on the ambiguous bandwagon for clout. 

Edited by meangreen11
Extra word

3 hours ago, PopKills said:

Madonna (Erotica album, her AIDS awareness activism, countless interviews) Christina (Beautiful mv) and Katy (Firework mv) all did it before her, she didn’t bring anything new to the table (for the gay matter at least, she was the first famous woman to mention trans lives in her music).

Only Madonna out of these names you mentioned qualifies. Are you really comparing Firework and it's MV to....Born This Way? :skull: Miss me with all this "they did it before her!!" bs because everyone knows Gaga was and still is the most vocal pop star from that era about the LGBTQ+ community.

25 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

I understand the concept you’re speaking of. I know people who are bisexual but in a straight relationship, but they still have a history of at least some notable, if casual, involvement 

I still don’t think Gaga is bi though. She wrote “Poker Face” at the height of the trend of claiming to be bi for attention in the late 00’s and has conveniently never written about women since. Also if someone says they’re “bi” but exclusively date the opposite sex, that probably says something, no? Whether it’s related to what they think others will think, or what they themselves feel. If we’re talking Kinsey scale she’s a 1, 2 at best. 

It’s very on par with Harry Styles currently jumping on the ambiguous bandwagon for clout. 

Girl it's not about what you "think" :rip: If she says she's bi and she's had experiences with women then she is and it's not us who get to decide that.

Also its absolutely NOT similar to what Harry is doing, please :rip: 

Edited by State of Grace.

3 hours ago, PopKills said:

Katy (Firework mv) all did it before her, she didn’t bring anything new to the table (for the gay matter at least, she was the first famous woman to mention trans lives in her music).

… Gaga has been outspoken about her support for the LGBTQ+ community literally since her debut, before BTW, before Fireworks :toofunny3: If you’re gonna troll, at least try a little harder 

Taylor or course 

its Taylor and I wish she never released YNTCD, it is such a tacky song and its MV is kinda even worse

AlexStexaul

taylor

2 hours ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Taylor made it known that she was an ally for years, (the PSA she did in 2008, the gay boy in the Mean video, etc)  but she has been honest about the fact that she could have advocated more than she did early on.  The whole Miss Americana doc goes into why she was scared to speak out about anything for a long time.  The important thing is that she acknowledged it, has grown up and has really made an effort to do more to help. 

Great answer :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.