Homophobic Taylor Swift Song viral TikTok

XAMJ

5 hours ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

Period!!

For anyone trying it, she was like 12 or 13 when she wrote this song or something, unlike artists like Katy or Billie writing Ur So Gay and Wish U Were Gay at the big ages of 24 and 17!

How is Wish You Were Gay homophobic? :skull: 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headlock

• BGXKB

• Squall

• awesomepossum

Did she ever actually apologize for this? I know she became a "gay rights supporter" in 2016 or something after her PR team told her it wouldn't hurt her bank account any longer, but has she ever actually addressed this? I mean, I guess it's not a huge deal at the end of the day, especially since her fans are okay with casual homophobia do to their internalized hatred, but she tries to come off as woke nowadays so an apology would be nice.

1 hour ago, Headlock said:

The fake pearl-clutching in here :rip:

Pearl-clutching would be being homophobic? :coffee2:

Anyway, what Taylor wrote as a 12 year old should just confirm what most of us already knew by now which is that for most of us growing up “gay” was the absolute worst thing you could be called. Like “you’re gay” was definitely the ultimate diss when I was 12 this is all proof of homophobia that homophobic bigots can never deny. Art imitates life. She thought gay was the ultimate comeback to being called crazy. I think a lot of us thought the same thing as kids. 

4 minutes ago, Squall said:

How is Wish You Were Gay homophobic? :skull: 

It’s definitely dumb. :coffee2:

Somehow it has entered Gen Z’s vocabulary that stupid and gay are synonymous. 

1 minute ago, BGXKB said:

It’s definitely dumb. :coffee2:

Somehow it has entered Gen Z’s vocabulary that stupid and gay are synonymous. 

You clearly missed the point of the song :rip: She says she wishes the guy was just gay so she could make herself a reason and understand why he can't love her... instead of just rejecting her, it's not used as a synonymous of "stupid" :skull: 

9 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

Did she ever actually apologize for this? I know she became a "gay rights supporter" in 2016 or something after her PR team told her it wouldn't hurt her bank account any longer, but has she ever actually addressed this? I mean, I guess it's not a huge deal at the end of the day, especially since her fans are okay with casual homophobia do to their internalized hatred, but she tries to come off as woke nowadays so an apology would be nice.

Oh God shut up, you don't even care :rip: 

4 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

Pearl-clutching would be being homophobic? :coffee2:

What? :rip:

5 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

I think a lot of us thought the same thing as kids. 

...exactly, that is the point. Kids in the early 2000s threw "gay" around all the time, before we knew better.

And we love her for that!

10 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

Not another monster faking concern :rip:

2 minutes ago, Squall said:

You clearly missed the point of the song :rip: She says she wishes the guy was just gay so she could make herself a reason and understand why he can't love her... instead of just rejecting her, it's not used as a synonymous of "stupid" :skull: 

It’s still dumb. :skull:

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

What? :rip:

...exactly, that is the point. Kids in the early 2000s threw "gay" around all the time, before we knew better.

Yes and Taylor was just another 12 yo so we don’t need to even go back and look at this other than another example of homophobia. In popular music. :coffee:

2 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

You can think it's "dumb" if you want, no one cares, it's still not used in an homophobic way or as a synonymous of "stupid", get your facts straight :skull: 

Yes and Taylor was just another 12 yo so we don’t need to even go back and look at this other than another example of homophobia. In popular music. :coffee:

And? That isn't the point, the point is people clutching their pearls in here as if a) this hasn't already been known for over a decade, and b) that they actually give a ****. The lyric (sadly) accurately reflected the time it was written in, and was immediately changed back then anyways. This is a complete non-starter.

22 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

That’s not true, she was supporting gay rights already in 2009, indeed she was the face for anti-homofobic campaign for high schools after a homofobic crime 

1 minute ago, Squall said:

You can think it's "dumb" if you want, no one cares, it's still not used in an homophobic way or as a synonymous of "stupid", get your facts straight :skull: 

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

And? That isn't the point, the point is people clutching their pearls in here as if a) this hasn't already been known for over a decade, and b) that they actually give a ****. The lyric (sadly) accurately reflected the time it was written in, and was immediately changed back then anyways. This is a complete non-starter.

both of you sound pretty homophobic. :bam:

I’m just saying both songs are homophobic and dumb. :michael:

both of you sound pretty homophobic. :bam:

I’m just saying both songs are homophobic and dumb. :michael:

Seek help :doc: 

5 hours ago, Dephira said:

She was 12-13 so it’s okay 

Exactly imagine the suicidal 13 year old gay boys listening to this and how good they must have felt because she wrote it when she was 13 and not as adult. It changes everything

3 minutes ago, Squall said:

Seek help :doc: 

I think I am going to have to seek help with the report button for your obsessive negative attitude. How many times have you quoted me now to say that? Is this your way of saying that you’re homophobic? Who are you really talking to?

:celestial5:

Edited by BGXKB

This couldn't be a more inoffensive line. And they changed it extremely early on so like....who cares

Still less offensive / ignorant than the abhorrent YNTCD :skull:

Edited by ahauntingnearu

Like was it morally pure by today's standards? No and obviously Taylor was embarrassed enough to change it a year later, but like... have you never watched a 2000s teen movie like Mean Girls or John Tucker Must Die? Popular media that people still love today featured bitchy characters saying problematic things all the time ("I can't have a LESBIAN at my pool party!"). Or that Degrassi line "I hate f*gs, what they do makes me sick". Obviously if she kept saying things like it past 2006 it would be bad, but she didn't. It's not to excuse when she did say it, but like it was obviously the culture of the time and things have changed significantly. Some of us gays who grew up hearing the way we were talked about with such ridicule or scorn can look back on it with a laugh now because we actually watched that shift happen in real time. Another example of the popular media shift: High School Musical had an obviously gay character and actor which was never even acknowledged, but now you have half the cast of the new High School Musical being gay :skull: 

Edited by Beyonnaise

This song has already been discussed ad nauseum for years I feel like. I have known about this song of hers since her debut came out in 2006.

It’s been 16 years, over double her lifetime since this song came out, cut her some slack and she’s more than made up for it.

7 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

Like was it morally pure by today's standards? No and obviously Taylor was embarrassed enough to change it a year later, but like... have you never watched a 2000s teen movie like Mean Girls or John Tucker Must Die? Popular media that people still love today featured bitchy characters saying problematic things all the time ("I can't have a LESBIAN at my pool party!"). Or that Degrassi line "I hate f*gs, what they do makes me sick". Obviously if she kept saying things like it past 2006 it would be bad, but she didn't. It's not to excuse when she did say it, but like it was obviously the culture of the time and things have changed significantly. Some of us gays who grew up hearing the way we were talked about with such ridicule or scorn can look back on it with a laugh now because we actually watched that shift happen in real time. Another example of the popular media shift: High School Musical had an obviously gay character and actor which was never even acknowledged, but now you have half the cast of the new High School Musical being gay :skull: 

Not queen Hilary tho, who was ahead of her time 

9 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

:jonnycat:  ICONIC. 

she's a privilege white woman since birth, you do the math

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.