Which City is the Capital of Soul Music?

Armani?

Which City is the Capital of Soul Music?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which City is the Capital of Soul Music?

• Detroit
    • Philadelphia
    • New Orleans
    • Chicago
    • New York City
    • Los Angeles
    • Atlanta
    • Memphis
    • Washington D.C
    • Minneapolis

If a city was to be nicknamed the Capital of Soul, which one would take the crown?

Inspired by another thread 

We gotta give a shout out to the Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, and New Orleans girls, but it’s Memphis. :coffee:

Well :skull:

That's a hard one. My initial thought is between Detroit or Philadelphia, but Detroit had Berry Gordy, and it's hard to beat that. Philly Soul circa. the 1970's was on another level though.

I associate cities like New Orleans and NYC with Jazz while cities like LA on the West Coast were very pinnacle in developing their own unique Hip-hop aesthetic. Chicago is where modern House and Disco got their first kicks. Memphis and ATL are cities I associate most with the blues as African Americans have long standing roots in those cities dating back to long before the Great migration took place in the early 20th century.

Edited by Planet Mars

On a serious note this thread really drives the importance of African American migration patterns on US musical culture. It's insane how most cities, particularly those in the North lacked a musical identity almost entirely before the mass exodus of African Americans from the south following WW1 in the US.

You could also throw in Prince and the  Minneapolis sound he helped develop in the 80's circa. the Time and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, or even St. Louis with Scott Joplin and Ragtime, which sort of predates the Great migration.

Really crazy when you put that all together.

34 minutes ago, mikeyace16 said:

Hong Kong 

?

42 minutes ago, mikeyace16 said:

Hong Kong 

why :rip:

it's between memphis and detroit for me

My biased ass wants to say Detroit but I'm gonna say New Orleans 

2 hours ago, Karma88 said:

NEW YORK

Alicia-Keys-JLo-jennifer-lopez-34817570-

you couldnt find a pic of just Alicia?:coffee:

Spoiler

Jlo had a few R&B bops though. talent aside

Dallas

This is hard to say lmao.

Probably in terms of impact it would go to Detroit but Memphis Soul is underrated in these conversations. Al Green alone.

13 hours ago, Armani? said:

If a city was to be nicknamed the Capital of Soul, which one would take the crown?

Philadelphia > Detroit > Memphis > The Others.

Now, if this were a thread about Rhythm and Blues or even Contemporary R&B then Los Angeles, Atlanta and New York City would, of course, take it over the others. 

1) The vast majority of the biggest crossover Soul hits/anthems of the 1970’s were Philadelphia Soul-based.

2) Detroit = Motown.

The end.

3) Memphis Soul has its roots deep in gospel which, of course, is the most influential genre in contemporary music/singing. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

8 hours ago, princedonte said:

Dallas

I didnt realize both Tevin Campbell & Usher originated there till now:rip:

8 minutes ago, Armani? said:

I didnt realize both Tevin Campbell & Usher originated there till now:rip:

and we got Hi Five from Waco

14 hours ago, BGXKB said:

We gotta give a shout out to the Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, and New Orleans girls, but it’s Memphis. :coffee:

Not Memphis bombing in the poll cuz yall aint vote :skull:

8 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Not Memphis bombing in the poll cuz yall aint vote :skull:

I would sooner choose Chicago or LA. :skull:

Anyway, I’m not even as familiar with New Orleans or Philadelphia music as I should be. Detroit seems more relatable.

Edited by BGXKB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.