Kendrick Lamar - 'Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers'

Devin

Reposting from the other thread about the Auntie Diaries controversy:

The biggest irony was that he was skull dragged all over the timeline, internet and even daytime television for not letting a white girl scream the n-word on stage with him repeatedly. 

They said because it was part of the song and he invited her up there, it was okay and somehow his fault she couldn’t censor herself even though plenty of white fans who have gone on stage have done so. Now he’s using the word ****** to accurately depict his evolution on a subject dear to him and now it’s a problem.

He, and most people with sense, know that the words aren’t remotely equivalent. And that’s one of the many points. I mean, the song literally ends with tying these two things together: 

Reminded me about a show I did out the city

That time I brung a fan on stage to rap

But disapproved the word that she couldn't say with me

You said "Kendrick, ain't no room for contradiction

To truly understand love, switch position

'******, ******, ******,' we can say it together

But only if you let a white girl say '*****'"

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• Speezy

• Martyr Of Fame

• Thinking Of You

1 hour ago, SIDE2SIDE said:

a couple cute songs on here

nothing amazing tho

heart part 5 is better than the whole album tbh

That’s the tea, unfortunately. It’s honestly a good album, with a lot to digest and some very interesting production choices. I think it lacks the spark his records used to have, to me it sounds overall like the best and improved version of what Kanye’s been trying to do since TLOP. 

Definitely his worst album, or his least good, if that sounds better.

That’s amazing I must admit. What is the single do we know? On Spotify all the songs are all over the place.

Meh album

The *** line was unnecessary

A misguided album overall, but you can only keep momentum up for so long after 3 masterpiece albums in a row 

Not as good as his previous albums but still by far the best album released this year.

QueenofCopyPaste

Not better than TPAB and DAMN

QueenofCopyPaste

So there's no single?

He filmed a music video last year near a beach

disc 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>disc 1 :jonny4:

disc 2 is classic Kendrick, no skips, every songs goes HARD

disc 1 is meh, many skips, doesn't sound like usual Kendrick sound to me sounds more like a demo for the most part, but the Summer song>>

Savior, Silent Hill and Crown are my top 3 

He hasn't made a good album since untitled unmastered, f words all over the song and featuring a rapist for what? Just to deliver a shitty album? :rip:

"let's talk the truth women in general just can't get along" like wtf happened to him?? :rip:

4 minutes ago, QueenofCopyPaste said:

So there's no single?

He filmed a music video last year near a beach

Based on TTH, N95 is the song that’s getting pushed first. 

No definite single has been sent to radio yet. 

better than Damn don’t @ me 

That album had a great concept and mid songs. This is stronger

Anyway, a load of controversy over nothing. He is so obviously using the slur and dead naming in the context of the song to show how a lot of people (particularly straight) feel initially and it’s demonstrated in the maturing and growth throughout the song.

It’s annoying that this forum is one of the best places to discuss pop culture and music because when it comes to discussing anything deeper than Born This Way lyrically (sans Mariah and Taylor’s lyricism) the reading comprehension flies out the window and people just get offended instead (or pretend to be, idk what’s worse). I think the dead naming is a lot worse than the f slur (as a gay man, like the f slur really didn’t bother me but I totally see people’s points with the other) but my personal opinion is that the song is showing something real and raw and putting that in was effective. 

Anyway great song and great album, can’t wait to keep listening. 

Edited by Doogle

Like actually red pilled :rip:

FSnLlhjXwAAREUk?format=jpg&name=large

FSnGCZkXoAgejHN?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by FierceBitch

Still haven't listened to the second half, already listened to the first half twice. 

This second time I was able to enjoy it a lot more, United in Grief, N95, Die Hard, We Cry Together and Purple Hearts are standouts for me on second listen.

Already read some people talking about him using the f slur on Auntie Diaries... not my favorite thing in the world, but I'll have to listen to the song to make a judgement. It's a lot to take in, I've been impatiently waiting on this album for so long.

Edited by bync

I'm a die hard Kendrick fan but after first listen this album is surely his worst. The heart part 5 is better than most of the songs on the album. The second part of the album is not it (Mother I Sober is the only song I actually truly enjoyed). The album should have been shorter, often the topics where very tired and overused in his previous albums. I agree that Auntie Diaries should have stayed in his hard drive, the *** is not even the worst part of it, I felt embarassed listening to it.

3 hours ago, SIDE2SIDE said:

a couple cute songs on here

nothing amazing tho

heart part 5 is better than the whole album tbh

I'm feeling like this too

When the fwords are not even the biggest issue on this album :rip: This man spent way too many hours watching youtube during lockdown :rip:

It keeps getting better with each listen. Just like all of his previous work. :jamming:

7 minutes ago, Brando said:

Just woke up. Listening :loud:

Ek--VwRXEAEw_sL?format=jpg&name=900x900

Silent Hill is a whole ******* bop, things are looking up!

Savior was cute. I really don't like Baby Keem.

Listening to Auntie Diaries, I like it. :michael: 

Mr. Morale was really good.

Mother I Sober is a masterpiece. Best song on the album, so powerful.

I liked Mirror.

Not an instant album for me, I think I need a couple more listens, but definitely enjoyed. I really hope this grows on me a lot more like the rest of his projects have.

12 minutes ago, Martyr Of Fame said:

Ek--VwRXEAEw_sL?format=jpg&name=900x900

Making an effort to actually listen on Spotify :gaycat3:

I'd give the album an 8/10. He should have cut the interludes + maybe Savior. I hate when other rappers/artists take up unnecessary space on someone else's album. There's too much Kodak Black on here, too. 

But you know... as a Lana fan... I love the controversial songs.  :coffee: We Cry Together, Mother | Sober, Worldwide Steppers is probably my top 3.

Edited by Ice Cream Skies

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.