• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• publikcitizen

• Bloo

• Lovett

• Gui Blackout

I’m surprised at how dark it got. I liked it a lot, but I kinda hope future seasons won’t just be trauma galore, part of Heartstopper’s appeal is a queer story that for once is pretty positive over all.

• ATRL Moderator

I have a lot of thoughts that I'll probably spend several days processing, but one thing that I appreciated is how the show grew in scope and tone. Making the focal point of the first season Nick and Charlie's developing relationship made sense on numerous fronts. For starters, the beginning of a relationship, especially a young one, is often full of light and purity. Of course there is bound to be some awkwardness and hardships but it all seems so much less apparent when you're completely enamored by someone new. It's like an overarching metaphor, season one felt brisk, light, and magical because it mimicked the adoration its characters were cultivating for each other. 

Season two continues this metaphor by demonstrating how the innocence of a young relationship begins to give way to some hard truths. Since the show's tone continues to mimic its characters' predicaments as well as serve as a figurative manifestation of a relationship, it makes sense that the topics it deals with would become more serious. It's like taking the next step with your partner. There's a natural desire to shield the person you care about from certain parts of yourself. The deeper you get into a relationship, the harder that is to do. We see this affect just about every character this season in one way or another. So while some of that rose colored magic from the beginning gets dampened, what replaces it is just as compelling. I guess you could argue that the world of the show (or the graphic novels) could just maintain a specific direction without delving into anything else, but I personally think that would feel a bit inauthentic. The show walks the line between unapologetically sweet and real perfectly. 

One other thought I had tangentially related to the topic of the show's tone: Within the first episode of season 1, we see a depiction of assault and-

Spoiler

There are also subtle (or not so subtle depending on who you ask) implications of Charlie's disordered eating. 

All that to say, the show has done a great job setting up its more 'mature' themes even from the first season. But the enduring brilliance of that season comes from how quickly audiences are to focus more on the budding romance than some of the dangers surrounding it. Now that its central relationship has entered a new stage, I like that the show followed suit.  

• Like 4

I liked season 2 a lot more than season 1.

1 thing that bewildered me is the budget :clap3: how come Netflix let this show film in actual France and yet for the latest season of Sex Education, the trip to France was filmed in the UK because of budget reasons :dies: everything was so fake.

SE has like 4-5 times more viewers than this show.

Episode 6 stuff:

Spoiler

Think I’m going to be the outlier regarding this episode in terms of what I thought about it. To be honest I had a really hard time with this episode for some reason…everything worked I think but I guess the emotional beats of the episode just didn’t hit me like usual? In season 1 I feel like Nick doing something as dramatic as coming out at the party would have felt like a real moment but they sort of play it off quite casually (in my opinion at least) and I feel like it didn’t really have the Heartstopper feel to it. The teacher romance literally should be the relatable part of the episode but I don’t know it didn’t hit me in the way I expected it to. Again I feel like it was played far more understated then I would expect. Don’t think people will agree with me here but I also can’t help but feel it leans into the trope that James literally talks about in the episode previous in terms of “just because we are gay it means we must fancy each other”. I think when you have had such a beautifully presented slow build like most of the romantic pairings in this show, the speediness of the teachers just doesn’t work for me. :michael: Really really not vibing with how Tara, Darcy and Isaac are being treated either, again people probably aren’t going to agree with me but I just don’t think we are getting enough time with them so nothing is getting properly explored. I think I just have lots of complicated thoughts about this season in general and it’s hard to articulate them because it just comes across negative or hateful. I don’t know maybe I will have to do a rewatch of this one because the more it’s sitting with me the more issues keep popping in my head.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Babydoll. said:

this season was not for me. i think the initial charm of the first season wasn't carried over? also the script and performances overall got worse in my onion.

felt like not much was happening this season (even though i know things DID happen lol).

I ******* love yasmin finney so i shall continue to tune in <3

That's kind of wild, because to me (as much as I love her as a person) Yaz was the only one of the main 6 that didn't improve much in their acting from one season to the other. She was slightly less wooden, but still noticeably wooden compared to Kit, Joe, Will (who I thought was awful last season and really stepped it up), Kizzy, and Corinna.

8 hours ago, Lovett said:

It's literally a coming of age love story of minors... The obsession with sex needs to stop. Not everything needs to have sex scenes. :ace:

4 hours ago, Haus-Of_Mck said:

They're teenagers what a creep :biblio:

I don't mean anything overly graphic or explicit.  Wasn't Elite and Love, Victor set in high school? :confused:

I still can't believe Paris looked more authentic here than in Emily in Paris :deadbanana2: I remember the Eiffel tower scene in Emily in Paris looked so CGId :ahh:

Netflix really gave them budget!

9 hours ago, Oscar Isaac said:

That's kind of wild, because to me (as much as I love her as a person) Yaz was the only one of the main 6 that didn't improve much in their acting from one season to the other. She was slightly less wooden, but still noticeably wooden compared to Kit, Joe, Will (who I thought was awful last season and really stepped it up), Kizzy, and Corinna.

Oh this wasn't a comment on her acting - I just like her and her character lmao. I find the majority of the performances to be wooden :rip: Kit has some really good moments and Joe is decent overall. Putting Olivia in the show really adds perspective lol.

-

also its good to hear fromyou graphic novel girlies that this season is setting up for a more dramatic third season. helps me to accept that this one was a bit less exciting

Spoiler

I started with some fear for this season as it seemed like Tao and Elle were getting more of the focus and I find them both annoying but I understand the need for a budding romance in a romance show. At least his new haircut made his character feel fresh.

The other relationships developed beyond their first season status and added layers with more focus on family which I liked. The central relationship didn't fall into the usual pitfalls of second seasons of these shows so essentially that makes it a success in my book.

They do seem to drop in a number of different issues throughout the show that in general I think are dealt with well though not in depth. It might be worth having a narrower focus so you can make more of a point. I assume some of these are set up for more consideration in later seasons but it almost seems like they're making sure they tick off as many representation boxes as they can.

I barely remembered Isaac from the first season so his book thing was vaguely amusing to begin with but was overdone halfway through the season. I was shocked as well when they said it was the girl's 16th birthday as the way they look/behave does not line up with that to me but I guess that's usually the way with teen shows.

Tori is criminally underutilised and Olivia Colman is just terrific. Tao's mother is another character who lights up any scene she's in.

It wasn't unexciting at all???Fabulous second season :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator
On 8/9/2023 at 12:20 PM, BeenTheShit said:

I thought it was okay as well.  Overall the show feels way too PG... Give us some kind of love/sex scenes. :michael:

Charlie is 15. Why do we need sex scenes with him? There are countless gay shows with gay sex scenes. I think it's okay that there is one queer show that is decisively PG. This is a show that parents can safely show their children and that's an amazing thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Charlie is 15. Why do we need sex scenes with him? There are countless gay shows with gay sex scenes. I think it's okay that there is one queer show that is decisively PG. This is a show that parents can safely show their children and that's an amazing thing.

I read Charlie is 17 and Nick is 18 during this season. :confused:

• ATRL Moderator
45 minutes ago, BeenTheShit said:

I read Charlie is 17 and Nick is 18 during this season. :confused:

Charlie turned 15 halfway through season 1 (remember this birthday episode) and this season starts the day after season 1 ended with Nick coming out to his mom. 

2 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Charlie turned 15 in halfway through season 1 (remember this birthday episode) and this season starts the day after season 1 ended with Nick coming out to his mom. 

Oh... I guess what I was looking at was referencing their ages in the graphic novels. :psyduck:

• ATRL Moderator
19 minutes ago, BeenTheShit said:

Oh... I guess what I was looking at was referencing their ages in the graphic novels. :psyduck:

The graphic novel is further ahead because of time skips. But they're also had sex in the graphic novels

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Reveal hidden contents

The graphic novel is further ahead because of time skips. But they're also had sex in the graphic novels

Spoiler

People are still gonna complain and be weirdos when it happens in the show because the sex scenes in the comics are "childish, unrealistic, too prude", or whatever. They don't much there. Or in the novels. 

Edited by Blade Runner

Episode 7 stuff:

Spoiler

Oh okay this one was definitely what I’d been craving desperately, more Tara, Darcy and Isaac and there plot getting moved forward a bit. This episode definitely felt like it perfectly encapsulated the more mature aspects of this season. Isaacs little moment talking to James was so interesting as I have had similar conversations with myself about how he is feeling. It’s genuinely so complicated and loaded but it’s something I do question and I hope to maybe discover in myself one day. Also Isaac gagging the friend group about only being interested in romance lol. My lord Taos character development this season has truly been insane, the fact that he handled the Elle situation so maturely, especially given how much we know he fears change. Will Gao has definitely played the growth in his character fantastically this season :clap3: The entire sequence between Charlie and Ben was a MOMENT oh wow, I know Joe was probably gagging for something that got to show off his acting this season and he really nailed the response. Thank F*CK we don’t have to see Ben again but ngl I was in tears at the animation of the rainbow spilling out of the art centre and him choosing to back away from it :cries: That feeling of being in the closet and having to keep your distance from being yourself hurts your soul :( Another beautiful moment was all the of the friend group pooling there money together for Darcy to get her prom outfit like oh wow that feeling of being around people who support who you are must be truly euphoric. Sahar getting one moment of dialogue just to announce she was Bi annoyed me a bit because like…7 episodes of nothing just for a passing comment. The family dinner omg lots to talk about, Tori was gagging to kill David like the anger in her face and voice. The “I don’t care” moment was genuinely so relatable because I do feel like you get to a point where you’re so exhausted by thinking how people will react that you just sort of don’t care about the repercussions anymore. It’s genuinely lovely to have Olivias presence in this show and I’m praying the strike doesn’t stop her from being in season 3 (not sure if she is solely part of Equity or if she is a SAG member as well so not sure how it will work). Darcy getting thrown out was heartbreaking. Great episode all in all.

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

One thing I've enjoyed this season, especially when they were in paris, is how they talk about consent and being patient with each other. I think this is important because it will show young queers watching the show that consent is important and sexy. Like when Nick asks Charlie if it's okay when kissing him on the neck.

• Like 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.