Avatar: The Way of Water | Billions: 2 | Oscar Noms: 4 | Best Picture Noms: 1

Butters

$434.500.000 first weekend :clap3:

The next one, with Xmas, will be better.

Couldnt watch it yeasterday, hope I can for Xmas :cries:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• mystery

• X~MoviePoP

• Donquizote

So I would say 1.3B is 100% happening (x3 legs). 1.5B is also very likely, 1.7B if it manages to get to x4.

More than that seems quite hard right now, particularly since China’s legs will be short (probably x2.5 max) so other countries will have to average ~4.5 to reach 1.7B.

2B could still happen, but it’s too early to say. Something awful would need to happen for it to do less than 1.3B though, and would be a sign to cancel avatar 4&5 straight away.

23 minutes ago, Madonno said:

$434.500.000 first weekend :clap3:

The next one, with Xmas, will be better.

Couldnt watch it yeasterday, hope I can for Xmas :cries:

Should be worse, christmas eve is one of the worst days of the year box office-wise. Many theatres are closed in many countries, so expect a significant drop.

4 hours ago, BNF91 said:

Vietnam :jonnycat:

Avatar 2's 2-day gross is bigger than the first Avatar's 3-week gross. Insanity. 3rd biggest opening weekend of all-time there ($5.8M). 5th biggest of all-time in Germany ($20M). 6th biggest of all-time in New Zealand. 2nd biggest non-local debut of all-time in India ($15.5M). $25M in South Korea. Biggest debut of all-time in several smaller markets (not yet listed). It's smashing your honour. 

Don’t forget inflation! Movie tickets when I worked during Avatar was $9 here in Canada, now it’s like $15. 

45 minutes ago, Feather said:

Don’t forget inflation! Movie tickets when I worked during Avatar was $9 here in Canada, now it’s like $15. 

I mean, yeah. Every film deals with inflation. Doesn't change the records though. If we are gonna worry about inflation we might as well just call Gone With the Wind the biggest film of all-time, forever. But we don't. 

Overseas Sunday update: Despite the massive FIFA WC Final, Avatar 2 has risen a couple million to $75M on Sunday and a $302M OS weekend :WAP:

France! Sunday actually improved :omg: Sold more admissions than the first's debut despite nearly half the entire nation being gripped by FIFA. $21M debut!

Edited by BNF91

9 hours ago, sweetblindness said:

The discourse around the box office for this movie is so tiring. Of course it won't have a massive opening weekend. The general population knows they don't need to rush to see the movie right when it releases to avoid spoilers like they had to do with Endgame and No Way Home. Titanic and the original Avatar both became the highest grossing movies ever because they had outstanding legs, not because they had record-breaking opening weekends. Will Avatar 2 become the new #1 grossing film ever and surpass 3 billion? No, probably not, but the people here saying it's a massive disappointment because of its opening weekend numbers don't seem to understand how this movie's situation is different from the most anticipated Marvel movies, for example. It'll probably be another weekend or two before we can start to declare it a disappointment or a success.

I've been saying that for years and tbh I don't think anyone was expecting it to out-open those 2 Marvel movies except for trolls

BUT to me it is disappointing that it opened lower than Jurassic World: Dominion which was already a decline from a decline (Fallen Kingdom) and that was the closest comparison I could find (no one's rushing for the story, the GP just wanna see dinosaurs much like how they want to see Avatar for the 3D alien planet and both are "family movies" released post-pandemic)

The disappointment is caused by the AWFUL marketing. So many people just do not know this was released. Heck, even when Avatar 1 got re-released in theaters some people went to see that thinking it was the sequel only to realize it wasn't, it's really weird.

Welp, another increase. The overseas actuals are in at $307.6M , a $7M jump from estimates! 

$442M worldwide debut!

South Korea: $2.6M Monday. Will pass $30M tomorrow already. Maybe another $100M market.

2nd biggest opening of all-time in both Czech Republic and Romania. 

$13M debut in Mexico. Over 3x bigger than the first :clap3:

Edited by BNF91

1 hour ago, BNF91 said:

Welp, another increase. The overseas actuals are in at $307.6M , a $7M jump from estimates! 

$442M worldwide debut!

South Korea: $2.6M Monday. Will pass $30M tomorrow already. Maybe another $100M market.

2nd biggest opening of all-time in both Czech Republic and Romania. 

$13M debut in Mexico. Over 3x bigger than the first :clap3:

Wut site is telling u these numbers

3 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Wut site is telling u these numbers

I use box office Reddit, a few box office twitters I follow who receive box office data, and Box Office Theory forums where a few insiders post early numbers and we discuss them. So many people there have incredible resources knowledge and data of box office.. I've been a member of Box Office Theory (formerly Box Office Mojo forums) for almost 20 years now (I started when I was like 9 years old lmaooo). 

Edited by BNF91

i didn't remember anything from Avatar 1 so i rewatched home on Saturday and watched the 2 Sunday at the movies 

i LOVED the 1st movie watching it again, it didn't age at all, i was as enchanted and entertained as if i was watching it for the first time, or even more now that i'm older tbh, 10/10. I LOVED IT like it was the first time. 

the 2nd one is beautiful, the last 1 hour of the movie is FIRE -- I LOVED IT but it got a little tiring at some parts cuz its storyline was so alike the 1st movie.. 1st movie had Jake getting the way of life of Pandora, getting used to it.. 2nd movie was his daughters and sons getting the way of the Water World, getting used to it. so it missed a "fresh" plot for me. Still got entertainted and the last hour is everything, so my score is still high, just not as much as the first movie, 8.8/10. 

I recommend rewatching the 1st and then watching the 2nd at the movies, it was a funny weekend experience. 

i didn't remember anything from Avatar 1 so i rewatched home on Saturday and watched the 2 Sunday at the movies 

i LOVED the 1st movie watching it again, it didn't age at all, i was as enchanted and entertained as if i was watching it for the first time, or even more now that i'm older tbh, 10/10. I LOVED IT like it was the first time. 

the 2nd one is beautiful, the last 1 hour of the movie is FIRE -- I LOVED IT but it got a little tiring at some parts cuz its storyline was so alike the 1st movie.. 1st movie had Jake getting the way of life of Pandora, getting used to it.. 2nd movie was his daughters and sons getting the way of the Water World, getting used to it. so it missed a "fresh" plot for me. Still got entertainted and the last hour is everything, so my score is still high, just not as much as the first movie, 8.8/10. 

I recommend rewatching the 1st and then watching the 2nd at the movies, it was a funny weekend experience. 

4 minutes ago, M André said:

someone lock James Cameron for the rest of the run in theaters 

Oh god

1 hour ago, M André said:

:ahh:

Seeing that as a TikTok video felt really weird :deadbanana4: Not people acting like he's an energetic 20 year old pop boy and not a regular old man who probably rushed to take his meds or something, leave him alone :rip: 

EDIT: forgot he got Covid too and couldn't go to the premiere like :deadbanana:

Didn't even cross $500M on its first weekend? What a huge as flop. 

29 minutes ago, Jude said:

Didn't even cross $500M on its first weekend? What a huge as flop. 

You literally know nothing

3 hours ago, M André said:

Honestly it sounds like a bunch of 50 year old mouth breathers who are mad because they didn’t get an autograph that they could sell later on eBay. 

watched the movie yesterday on d-box and I loved it! It’s so fascinating and besides the length for me it never felt long or boring at any second! 

2 hours ago, X~MoviePoP said:

You literally know nothing

Don't project your disabilities towards me. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.