RuPaul's Drag Race | Meet the Queens of All Stars 9! | Premieres 17 May

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

14 hours ago, NumbSoul said:

You might potentially be right in terms of how production is viewing these things, but I still think that's very hypocritical.

Why does Ru reward Black queens for playing into racial stereotypes, but somehow it's wrong for an Asian queen to do the same?

Its not sterotype itselft but the fact that Nymphia is bringing pretty much one note all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 40.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• satellites.™

Did anyone catch the Joel Kim Booster AMA on Reddit? He gave a bit of insight as to why he felt Ru picked Sapphira. I’ll agree that Sapphira probably did have the best energy there but I laughed when I read that he also thought that Q and Plane would be in the top. 

6 minutes ago, LittleStarmen said:

Its not sterotype itselft but the fact that Nymphia is bringing pretty much one note all the time. 

She... Has not done this character before

• Like 7

5 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

The memes from this :toofunny2:

I cannot even begin to explain how funny this was to me, for all the wrong reason. It takes a certain level of unhingedness to reply like that to a HIV+ coming out moment :gaycat6:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

The memes from this :toofunny2:

The way I missed this entirely because I completely stop paying attention whenever the mirror sob stories start. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t mind Sapphira win but it feels kinda boosted. Nymphia yet again was robbed with her strong and funny presentation plus literally best look on runway :gaycat2: Q as always - bitter, delusional and angry for no reason, she need to go :gaycat5:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gottasadae said:

I don’t mind Sapphira win but it feels kinda boosted. Nymphia yet again was robbed with her strong and funny presentation plus literally best look on runway :gaycat2: Q as always - bitter, delusional and angry for no reason, she need to go :gaycat5:

no, im siding with Q for this episode. she did the best overall and did NOT mess up in her presentation (unlike Sapphira who did)

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Q being mad she didn't get her 3rd payola'd win when Nymphia should comfortably be sitting on 4 yet all that legend talks about is bananas and how hard she tries for the challenges

trixie always says you have to be deluded to win drag race and i hope nymphia can prove one of our worst winners wrong x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

21 minutes ago, Vixen Eyes said:

no, im siding with Q for this episode. she did the best overall and did NOT mess up in her presentation (unlike Sapphira who did)

Q kinda messed up at the writing board. half the jokes just weren't funny, only their execution was. the clips repeat alone took me out of it. it would have been so easy to just show actual videoclips then go to the clips joke... but they went for the obvious and this lack of surprise and flow was a problem throughout for me

i mean when morphine said "c'mon now..." i legit couldn't tell for a second if she liked it or not, until she said "it's funny". it felt like i was watching a big bang theory episode with how canned it all felt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, loveisdead9582 said:

Did anyone catch the Joel Kim Booster AMA on Reddit? He gave a bit of insight as to why he felt Ru picked Sapphira. I’ll agree that Sapphira probably did have the best energy there but I laughed when I read that he also thought that Q and Plane would be in the top. 

him replying "No comment........" to the forced commentary about Nymphia's accent by Michelle 💀

• Haha 2

I did feel uncomfortable watching Nymphia do her accent, just because it doesn’t seem to be coming from a clever place but a desperate one (not being funny/charismatic to rely on her natural personality so she relied on a stereotype). I also thought Mhyia’s snatch game was cringey and not funny

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

It seems to me that it goes over the fandom's head that Nymphia literally just moved to the US. It's one thing to be quite fluent in english and be able to hold a conversation at your own pace and another thing to have to be witty and improvise on the spot in a language that 99% of your life you only used on the internet. The accent she did on this challenge was a safety net in case nothing else worked.

Edited by dumbsparce
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

It seems to me that it goes over the fandom's head that Nymphia literally just moved to the US. It's one thing to be quite fluent in english and be able to hold a conversation at your own pace and another thing to have to be witty and improvise on the spot in a language that 99% of your life you only used on the internet. The accent she did on this challenge was a safety net in case nothing else worked.

Didn’t she go to university in the UK?

32 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

idk i don't follow her like that

1 hour ago, Hephaestus said:

she did

she could have just written her lyrics in her preferred language then asked someone to faithfully translate it with her if this were the case (tell a queen that this is what she means, what word could represent that best, etc) but i genuinely think the girlie has perma writer's block

6 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

• Confused 2

• ATRL Moderator

That’s such a terrible idea I’m not even going to quote it 

• Haha 3

gurl i don't know why it is such a ******* big deal with Nymphia doing the accent. like why are asian queens being scrutinized for their past or where they came from? why suddenly doing accent is a desperate move? and what are the desperate moves in comedy? like this is the first time i heard of that bullshit. 

this's basically what Nina Bonina did on the S9 roast, a typical southern granny. but Nymphia can't do a typical Taiwanese auntie? and the accent wasn't crazily amped up at all. 

like babe are you feeling uncomfortable because it's desperate or because the accent was used as a mockery by your people and now that's the only association you have with it? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

not everyone has to be a lyricist and that's fine, I didn't see that energy when Jinkx couldn't sew for **** in AS7 :coffee2:

• Like 1

I kinda zoned out during the episode (very boring, probably my least favourite of the season) but Q voice in the challenge sounded so annoying, that was probably the only segment I watched and I thought she was awful. Were the others really worse than that? Did the edit made it seem like Q was gonna win?

• Haha 1

Sometimes I forget just how GOOD people who take this art form seriously are, Lawrence is just so amazing. 

She pressed those hoes from RUNWAY #1 and did NOT let go. :hawkeye:

• Like 6

Re: Nymphia's Accent

I don't think Ru zoned in on her because of the accent specifically versus the way she was using it in TODAY'S sensitive ass reddit climate. I bet in her mind she didn't want Nymphia being attacked by fans online. Kim Chi had no issues in this department and furthermore even got away with doing the "Ghetto Asian" stereotype in the Empire challenge. That challenge called for it.

I’m so confused about the accent thing?

Are non-Asian people the ones who are upset by it? I don’t understand the controversy?

are non-Asian AND Asian people saying nymphia was wrong for doing that accent? 

if that’s the case- Nymphia should just be telling everyone to kiss her ass in Macy’s window tbh

• Like 1

truly soooo sickening what a le’gend

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, FLAallday said:

truly soooo sickening what a le’gend

I think I saw this one and the video of her with the bus before I even knew she was cast. I see her killing an all stars season if she learns to speak up and be extroverted when the time calls for it. 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.