• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Genius1111

• Espresso

• Jotham

• Cloröx

I've been hearing talks of a new booster in the works, I believe geared towards Omicron — is there any info on the status of that? And if it will be available for all age groups? Plus, is it okay to get it if it's a different type than the ones you've already had (for example, my two shots and booster have been Pfizer, and what if this one is only Moderna)? So many questions and I'm not sure where to look for answers cuz it feels like no one is really talking about it anymore. :psyduck: (I'm in the US so looking for answers that pertain to the US.)

Well, given that the administration you used to work for has decided that its COVID response from now on is “let it rip,” I don’t think this one’s JUST on Republicans, good sir. Joe himself wanted to rush for the pandemic to be declared over by July 4 of last year. But you do you.

7 hours ago, Pop Art said:

I've been hearing talks of a new booster in the works, I believe geared towards Omicron — is there any info on the status of that? And if it will be available for all age groups? Plus, is it okay to get it if it's a different type than the ones you've already had (for example, my two shots and booster have been Pfizer, and what if this one is only Moderna)? So many questions and I'm not sure where to look for answers cuz it feels like no one is really talking about it anymore. :psyduck: (I'm in the US so looking for answers that pertain to the US.)

I actually found an article about the booster this morning! :celestial5:

It seems like it will be available for people 12 and up. I'm not sure if you'll be allowed to "mix" different types but the Pfizer one is coming out first anyway.

4 hours ago, Jotham said:

I actually found an article about the booster this morning! :celestial5:

It seems like it will be available for people 12 and up. I'm not sure if you'll be allowed to "mix" different types but the Pfizer one is coming out first anyway.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! So looks like it will roll out in mid September. I hope they start posting more guidance about it, I'm trying to look out for my grandma too but she got Moderna and I wanna make sure they advise it's okay to mix them. :dancehall:

16 hours ago, Pop Art said:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! So looks like it will roll out in mid September. I hope they start posting more guidance about it, I'm trying to look out for my grandma too but she got Moderna and I wanna make sure they advise it's okay to mix them. :dancehall:

It's been confusing because Pfizer and Moderna had been working on Omicron specific boosters but that didn't target BA4/BA5 because at the time they started formulating it and producing it those subvariants weren't an issue but Omicron was. 

Apparently within the last two months or so, either by their own initiative or new recommendations, they've redirected to formulating for BA4/BA5.

This article to CNBC, largely because it's the job of biopharma to give rosy pictures to stockholders, is way too optimistic on the timing and even implies in the article the fed's skepticism on the amount of supply that'll be available. 

I quite frankly don't buy either timetable and even if Pfizer were to have some of their new booster available in mid-September supply will be low.  

Moderna's BA4/BA5 booster which is what I'm waiting for according to multiple articles I've read isn't likely going to be widely available until November at the earliest. If you manage to get a Moderna booster prior to that time, it likely won't be targeting BA4/BA5 and you'll need to ask your pharmacist or whoever's giving it to you specifically whether this is the new booster - they still have older supply as I learned in person with one of them already.

Based on the recommendations for spacing things out, I'm trying to get my second monkeypox vaccine in mid-September, my flu shot in mid-October, and my BA4/BA5 Moderna shot (which will hopefully be ready by then) by mid-November.  

Points to the writer on reminding everyone of the still massive discrepancy between the CDC and WHO quarantine times

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.