2024 US Election Megathread 🇺🇸🏛️

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore. 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone. 

• Replies 23.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, thesegayz said:

Because it is antisemitism. Again showing your lack of comprehension of politics and desire to spread misinformation to drive home your points. Nowhere in this resolution did sharing that phrase become a felony. 

"from river to sea" is Iran launching nonstop missiles on Israel. "From river to sea" is the Oct 6 attacks in real life. "From river to sea" is Hamas' aggression before Oct 6,  when they'd launch missiles nonstop at Israel.

but you twitter thinkers only see what videos, posts, and narratives that an algorithm was built to feed you.

As one of the most balanced people on this topic, I wouldn't say that it's decisively anti-semitism, but that phrase in particular is bad politics. 

It's up there with Defund The Police as overly inflammatory in tone, but with an ultimately mundane prescription. Just like Defund… meant "allocate taxpayer money to alternative social services", From the River… basically means Palestinians in the West Bank (River) and Gaza (Sea) should be free to live their lives free of oppression.

The reason it's bad politics is because it's easily misconstrued by both fervent supporters of Hamas and Zionists to mean "get rid of all of the Jews" from the river to the sea. Just like how Defund was misconstrued to mean "abolish the police".

Also, the fact that the slogan itself takes up oxygen in the debate on Palestinian right to self-determination makes it doubly ineffective and distracting. 

7 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Substance of him having yet another horrifyingly bad senior moment on camera aside…

is it just me or does he look almost corpse-like here? Almost like he's going to drop d-word from old age any day now.

Anyone else getting that vibe? :katie:

Looks fine to me. He paused cause he probably picked up on his mistake (i.e. Haifa instead of Rafah) in real time. :michael:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kassi said:

Looks fine to me. He paused caused he probably picked up on his mistake (i.e. Haifa instead of Rafah) in real time. :michael:

Yup. 

2 hours ago, Kassi said:

This is going to be the read of a lifetime.

So blessed to be living in the same timeline as her.  :jonnycat:

:rip:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Are you not curious to learn how she wrangled 200+ adults from diverse districts across the US into voting for some of the most progressive legislation of our lifetime? :chick2:

50 minutes ago, Kassi said:

As one of the most balanced people on this topic, I wouldn't say that it's decisively anti-semitism, but that phrase in particular is bad politics. 

It's up there with Defund The Police as overly inflammatory in tone, but with an ultimately mundane prescription. Just like Defund… meant "allocate taxpayer money to alternative social services", From the River… basically means Palestinians in the West Bank (River) and Gaza (Sea) should be free to live their lives free of oppression.

The reason it's bad politics is because it's easily misconstrued by both fervent supporters of Hamas and Zionists to mean "get rid of all of the Jews" from the river to the sea. Just like how Defund was misconstrued to mean "abolish the police".

Also, the fact that the slogan itself takes up oxygen in the debate on Palestinian right to self-determination makes it doubly ineffective and distracting. 

There's also the issue of people chanting "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free" in English but then "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be Arab" in Arabic

20 minutes ago, VOSS said:

There's also the issue of people chanting "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free" in English but then "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be Arab" in Arabic

Oh yeah, the etymology of the phrase from the original Arabic makes it a little bit more… genocidal. :gaycat6:

But I was being charitable in considering its usage only in the American activist context. 

51 minutes ago, Espresso said:

And we're back to the 1947 United Nations Partition Plan. 

This has always been the way tbh. If Biden can pull it off, he'll be the best President of this century. 

:clack:

• Like 1

The phrase "from the river to the sea" is as detrimental to the Palestinian cause as was "defund the police" was to the BLM movement. Wether the ones chanting the phrase mean what many are criticizing it for doenst matter. It's already been tainted  🤷

Edited by GhostBox
  • Thumbs Down 1

I love this man so much.

His compassion is so boundless. :chick3:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.