2024 US Election Megathread 🇺🇸🏛️

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore. 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone. 

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

I'm gonna stake a prediction. Vanquishing Stacey Abrams twice and ending her career in humiliating fashion puts Brian Kemp on the table for presidency in the future.

The race wasn’t that interesting this time around - Kemp has the charisma of a doorknob - he gives off Jeb Bush vibes

51 minutes ago, Sesame said:

Oh my god why is the Boebert race so tight :rip:

I saw a video the next ballot counts on TikTok are leaning Dem for her district but it can either way. Yikes. 

Kinda worried about my district though, it’s super Dem so it’s not like Boebert but the establishment candidate is terrible, voted for the more progressive one. 

Bass and Caruso update by Friday, I fear. 

8 hours ago, Kassi said:

He’s not an “underdog”. It’s worse. He’s a non-factor.

Even holding for the fact he’s SCARED to directly take on Trump (making his 2024 candidacy that much more unlikely), his politics and policies don’t resonate for most of the country. IF he ran nationally, he’d have to appeal to non-freaks who don't care about drag queen story hour.  At least Trump had The Apprentice. :cm:

Not us agreeing even though you yourself have been guilty of being delusional about why Trump became so popular since economic populism has always been a thorn in your side. :gaycat1:

I think many forget that what pushed Trump to the national stage initially was messages of faux populism. In fact, he was seen as re-centering an economic message after failed years of culture wars against the poor (Romney is literally on video saying most poor people are lazy and want a handout). 

Republican candidates who largely failed are those who favored culture war rhetoric over economic messaging while those who will have succeeded tonight blended those talking points with messages on the economy. 

This is why Tim Ryan as a Dem actually did worse than he should have. While he could have made marginal gains amongst some older white rural populations, overtly coding that faux-populism in racist imagery was alienating to young voters who carried Dems over the finish line elsewhere. Add in his weird attacks on the overtly popular policy of student debt forgiveness and of course young people on places like Youngstown, Ohio might have stayed home. Even more evidence why Dems can't win by replicating Republican rhetoric. 

Edited by Communion

Independents (and some reps) voting for democrats is what really avoided the red wave. interesting! 

It's crazy that Obama's first 2 years got WAY more electorate backlash than Biden's even when Obama was more popular at that time. I guess republicans going further right is the  best possible explanation?

Sen. Marsha Blackburn

@MarshaBlackburn

— Russia has killed thousands of innocent Ukrainians 

— North Korea is launching missiles at our allies

— Iran is publicly brutalizing women

— The CCP is inching closer toward global domination

This is Joe Biden's foreign policy record over the last year.

How many wars do the Republicans want the Democrats to fight? Russia and China all at once?

37 minutes ago, Chemist said:

THE GIRLS ARE FIGHTING!

The ketchup bottles are flying today in Florida. :celestial5:

4 hours ago, Mellark said:

Beto losing his race really surprised me, especially Beto's because their marketing towards younger voters was high that I saw a lot of voters swinging R to D because they don't like Abbott's way of leading the state. While that is good, I think rural voters should not be underestimated when it comes to campaigning because at the end of the day it will bite back.

What is irritating is that some chronically online leftist/liberal on Twitter will literally post how Florida or Texas (for example) should suffer because they voted Rep when a vote doesn't represent the whole state. :michael: Just saw one about Florida and climate change and y'all can't be this out of touch, let's be serious? 

I posted a Tik Tok which explains a lot on why he lost. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/sorry-democrats-texas-isnt-a-secretly-blue-state/

1 hour ago, Chemist said:

It's crazy that Obama's first 2 years got WAY more electorate backlash than Biden's even when Obama was more popular at that time. I guess republicans going further right is the  best possible explanation?

Or the midterms have less to do with the president than pundits think.

You know it's bad when Ben Shapiro and Candance Owens jump off the Trump train :rip:  Both put out podcasts saying their opinion on him is changing and they're done with him :rip: 

Polling as an institution I addressed earlier as being on life support as there still hasn’t been a quality replacement for tracking landlines.

Trafalgar and Real Clear Politics are FINISHED as outlets after this cycle. Put a fork in it, last nail in the coffin, enough.

Data for Progress was good in Ohio, NYT/Sienna was VERY good in the House and Senate which figured out the non-response issue. Ann Selzer was dead-on in Iowa and is an obligatory follow for frequent visitors here.

Simon Rosenberg and Tom Bonier are the people to track now. If I hear or read one more word from Nate Cohn or God forbid Nate Silver on here or elsewhere I’m going to lose my f.ucking mind. (Doesn’t mean I won’t stop posting good takes from either on here which is now rarer).

2 hours ago, Chemist said:

THE GIRLS ARE FIGHTING!

“He has now flopped in 2018, 2020, 2021, and 2022” :redface:

56 minutes ago, brooklyndaddy said:

Any chance Dems won the house? I know it’s unlikely but would it be an anomaly?

Small chance still

Nazi Twitter just so casual

It wasnt a red wave for White voters either if comparing to 2020:rip:

Why is America First still running those ads trying to gaslight Asian Hate on the Left :redface:

Also as an aside, I’d argue that you’re much better off finding trusted election analysts/pundits  to listen to on Twitter than watching MSNBC/FOX/CNN all day, or trying to make sense of the NYT visualizations (which aren’t intuitive or bring regularly updated. 

We saw with 2020 that the cable news channels would do anything to drone on and on about the race without answering any of the burning questions, and would make things seem more tentative than they were. 

The Twitter folks aren’t infallible at all, but they are engaged. 

I know it’s a tweet from one of the Nates but I’m on a needed copium binge right now :jonny:

1 hour ago, FameFatale said:

You know it's bad when Ben Shapiro and Candance Owens jump off the Trump train :rip:  Both put out podcasts saying their opinion on him is changing and they're done with him :rip: 

:lmao: 

Trump vs Desantis will be interesting to watch. 

Glad the Dems did better than expected :clap3: 

I'm happy Boebert might lose, but the guy replacing her is running like Joe Manchin 2.0 so:rip:

2 minutes ago, Armani? said:

I'm happy Boebert might lose, but the guy replacing her is running like Joe Manchin 2.0 so:rip:

I’m communion’d on blue dog dems. They can rot. But boebert possibly losing wasn’t even on my cards that I’ll take it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.