2024 US Election Megathread 🇺🇸🏛️

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore. 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone. 

• Replies 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• ClashAndBurn

• GhostBox

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

Nose fence but some of y’all are way too happy.  We are about to lose the house and maybe senate… that’s bad, even if it’s only by one or two people.  Maybe it’s better for the 2024 elections but we still need to live through the next two years of a possibly GOP controlled house and senate.

Just now, Archetype said:

Nose fence but some of y’all are way too happy.  We are about to lose the house and maybe senate… that’s bad, even if it’s only by one or two people.  Maybe it’s better for the 2024 elections but we still need to live through the next two years of a possibly GOP controlled house and senate.

It's only two years. Nothing will happen, Biden will pass some EOs, inflation will come down naturally... It's all a great set up for 2024 honestly. Biden already passed more in his first two years than anyone thought was possible.

34 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

I think police officers need more combat and racial sensitivity training, therefore more funding.

It's been 10 years since Trayvon Martin was murdered by George Zimmerman and almost as long since Michael Brown was murdered by Ferguson police (on top of decades of high-profile police shootings); in that 10 year span, how many incidents of violence against black people by just regular citizens have resulted in no jail time? How many black people have been murdered by cops even when having called for help? In what ways has either the criminal justice system or policing as a whole improved for black Americans by tossing money at it?

Extensive summary studies have been held that show no correlation between safety measures or racial-bias training and a decrease in fatal shootings

HXYKV2VJ5QI6VJB3X2PWJFFIPU.jpg

Cops turn off body cams or use protections like qualified immunity to avoid consequences, including loss of pay.

Cop unions have organized themselves into PR media departments that corporate media carry water for.

What has worked is replacing police with mental health professionals but also solving crime at its core cause: poverty. To think there needs to be *more* funding of police is a monstrous display of ignorance to the topics of policing, criminal justice, and violent crime within the realities of America.

For all the talks from the affluent suburbs about issues of "crime" and "lawlessness", it is not the well-off who are victims of crime and for whom justice is rare. In fact, it appears that being rich is often the key to getting away with crime and lawlessness:

Edited by Communion

38 minutes ago, nick4bty said:

Welp looks like Boebert is gonna keep her seat afterall 

Depends on what's left in Mesa cuz otherwise looks like she's done?

If it's election day votes then I guess that would be in her favor, but she'd really be defying averages

Edited by Armani?

Maybe I'm being too optimistic - and not to jinx anything - but I do feel like Warnock will win the runoff. Kemp not being on the ballot to drag Walker across the finish line being the biggest factor, and also the incoming fracture and disarray of the GOP when Trump announces his candidacy and continues to take shots at DeSantis.

Trump is going to throw so many allegations/accusations/conspiracies at DeSantis

I could see Trump (in the end) either telling MAGA to not vote or him running third party in 2024...all of which is great for whomever the Dem nominee is.

22 minutes ago, Communion said:

What has worked is replacing police with mental health professionals but also solving crime at its core cause: poverty. To think there needs to be *more* funding of police is a monstrous display of ignorance to the topics of policing, criminal justice, and violent crime within the realities of America.

I agree about mental health professionals needed more, but my god, never ever use the word "monstrous" again, it's such hyperbole. I don't believe that all cops are bad. They can't all be psychos. And in Europe in many countries police officers go through a longer and more regimented training before they can work, so idk how those higher qualifications could be achieved by defunding the police in America. And I'm not asking for a police state. I just want those that are cops in the US right now and in the future to be better fit for their job.

Edited by anti-bitch

18 minutes ago, Communion said:

For all the talks from the affluent suburbs about issues of "crime" and "lawlessness", it is not the well-off who are victims of crime and for whom justice is rare. In fact, it appears that being rich is often the key to getting away with crime and lawlessness

This just makes me think the term “high information voter” just means large consumer of corporate media :redface: 

no thought just regurgitating what they were told

and to answer my own question I guess not!

29 minutes ago, Archetype said:

It was supposed to be way worse, think Midterms 2010 for Obama. Republicans shot themselves in the foot with overturning RoeVWade. Literally all they had to do was sit back and do nothing (as usual) but they even messed that up. :deadbanana2:

1 minute ago, A Bomb said:

This just makes me think the term “high information voter” just means large consumer of corporate media :redface: 

no thought just regurgitating what they were told

and to answer my own question I guess not!

Let people have other opinions than yours, oh my god.

5 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

I agree about mental health professionals needed more, but my god, never ever use the word "monstrous" again, it's such hyperbole. I don't believe that all cops are bad. They can't all be psychos. And in Europe in many countries police officers go through a longer and more regimented training before they can work, so idk how those higher qualifications could be achieved by defunding the police in America. And I'm not asking for a police state. I just want those that are cops in the US right now and in the future to be better fit for their job.

Like @Communion stated it’s not more money thrown at a problem with rotten police. It’s the police having actual repercussions to the disgusting, and horrendous acts they commit. You want to change the behavior? Start with having them jailed. “All police can’t be bad uwu” This is quite the ignorant take. Don't you think? The good ones don’t ever speak up about the racist, and murderous tendencies of their fellow police. No actually “good” person would do that. 

20 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

I agree about mental health professionals needed more, but my god, never ever use the word "monstrous" again, it's such hyperbole. I don't believe that all cops are bad. They can't all be psychos. And in Europe in many countries police officers go through a longer and more regimented training before they can work, so idk how those higher qualifications could be achieved by defunding the police in America.

This is a myth. You can't eliminate white supremacy from policing as an institution by putting in place qualifications. Hint: There are qualified people who are racist. Changing the components ("more diversity!", "more educated cops!") won't change the function of cops in America.

What benefit is there to increasing the hours of (paid!) training Americans cops have to do when training for police in America largely by-design involves mostly firearm training? What incentive is there for cops as individuals and as organized bodies to follow this training to begin with when there are neither legal nor monetary consequences to murder?

I mean... you've literally been shown the data. Budgets have boomed and yet people are still killed at consistent rates. Why?

How much more, in exact dollar figures, are you proposing police in the US need?

10593.jpeg

Edited by Communion

2 minutes ago, A Bomb said:

Like @Communion stated it’s not more money thrown at a problem with rotten police. It’s the police having actual repercussions to the disgusting, and horrendous acts they commit. You want to change the behavior? Start with having them jailed. “All police can’t be bad uwu” This is quite the ignorant take. Don't you think? The good ones don’t ever speak up about the racist, and murderous tendencies of their fellow police. No actually “good” person would do that. 

The police organization is rotten, yes, and they are failing to spot people with personality disorders that go through the training, but to say that they are ALL "bastards," which ACAB stands for, has to be wrong. They can't be. It's just not statistically possible. No group of people is ever a monolith. And I'm not trying to downplay the problems of policing in the US. It's just that name calling isn't gonna solve anything.

The main question on my mind now as we look towards 2024:  will kyrsten sienma win reelection?   She definitely has to be the most vulnerable senator going into 2024.  Her unfavorables are soo bad atm. 

what do you guys think?

7 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

The police organization is rotten, yes, and they are failing to spot people with personality disorders that go through the training, but to say that they are ALL "bastards," which ACAB stands for, has to be wrong. They can't be. It's just not statistically possible. No group of people is ever a monolith. And I'm not trying to downplay the problems of policing in the US. It's just that name calling isn't gonna solve anything.

ACAB isn't about all cops being black people killers. BUT they all always rally around their own to protect each other from accountability whenever something like George Floyd or Trayvon Martin happens, and that's where the sentiment comes from. You will NEVER see a "good cop" throwing a bad cop under the bus after he kills a civilian in cold blood because that's just it. There's no such thing as a good cop. Only killer cops and cops that shrug and don't bat an eye when it happens.

You're providing cover for an irredeemably racist institution that was founded on capturing escaped slaves and returning them to their "owners."

Cortez Masto would need the 141K to break at a minimum of 59/41 in her favor to win by around 2K votes 

Edited by tiejc

5 minutes ago, Communion said:

This is a myth. You can't eliminate white supremacy from policing as an institution by putting in place qualifications. Hint: There are qualified people who are racist. Changing the components ("more diversity!", "more educated cops!") won't change the function of cops in America.

What benefit is there to increasing the hours of (paid!) training Americans cops have to do when training for police in America largely by-design involves mostly firearm training? What incentive is there for cops as individuals and as organized bodies to follow this training to begin with when there are neither legal nor monetary consequences to murder?

I mean... you've literally been shown the data. Budgets have boomed and yet people are still killed at consistent rates. Why?

How much more, in exact dollar figures, are you proposing police in the US need?

10593.jpeg

My OG argument was that what's the logic behind defunding the police and that somehow helping with anything? And in regards of training, maybe it should be unpaid. I don't think the funding itself is a problem, but how it's used, and how it ends up in the highers officers' pockets. And this leads to a bigger conversation about how to eliminate racism from the society. I don't have an answer to that, but maybe there's hope that with white people becoming a minority in the future, the white supremacist will have to fold. And I say this as a white person. And in a way the US is an interesting social experiment about how people from different backgrounds and ethnicities can get along. Here in Europe we haven't even started that conversation. Only in the UK, France and Sweden we have some kinda diversity. Something like Poland might be as bad if not worse than the rural America in that sense. Not to mention Russia.

“While any seat lost is painful … Democrats had a strong night. And we lost fewer seats in the House of Representatives than any Democratic president’s first midterm election in the last 40 years. We had the best midterm for governors since 1986,” Biden remarked.

source

Father made some points. :clap3: 

Margin of Loss:

16.5 - Demings (FL-99%); under-performed polls by 7.7 points (lol)
6.5 - Ryan (OH-92%); out-performed polls by 1.5 points

3.7 - Beasley (NC-93%); out-performed polls by 2.5 points
1.0 - Barnes (WI-94%); out-performed polls by 2.6 points
-0.5: Warnock (GA-99%); out-performed polls by 1.9 points
-3.7 - Fetterman (PA-95%); out-perofmred polls by 4.1 points

When you remove Florida, it looks like an average of polls (going by the final polling averages on RCP) being off by 2.52 points for battleground Senate races.

If such is applied to AZ and NZ, it could look like:
Kelly wins over Masters by 2.2 points, Laxalt beats Masto by 0.9 points.

Democrats are going to regret giving money to Demings & Ryan that should have went to Barnes & Beasley.

Edited by Communion

9 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

ACAB isn't about all cops being black people killers. BUT they all always rally around their own to protect each other from accountability whenever something like George Floyd or Trayvon Martin happens, and that's where the sentiment comes from. You will NEVER see a "good cop" throwing a bad cop under the bus after he kills a civilian in cold blood because that's just it. There's no such thing as a good cop. Only killer cops and cops that shrug and don't bat an eye when it happens.

You're providing cover for an irredeemably racist institution that was founded on capturing escaped slaves and returning them to their "owners."

It would be right to call for the dismantling of the entire police organization there then. 

1 minute ago, anti-***** said:

It would be right to call for the dismantling of the entire police organization there then. 

Not for a total dismantling. It is deeply unpopular to even discuss giving less money at all to the police, even though they're not mentally or emotionally equipped to be social workers. Defunding schools to funnel money to policing though is totally above board, though, because America is a backwards country. Gen-Z turning out and staving off the Red Wave doesn't change the fact that it would have happened without their involvement. And Biden almost didn't even do the one thing that probably led to them turning out, his student debt relief plan, because he personally is a conservative who was the architect of the student debt crisis to begin with. It took his staffers and, ironically, Kamala Harris pushing him to do it that has saved his viability for running for re-election in 2024.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.