• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• TheWayWeWere

• Sunderland 4ever

• Lazuli

So many albums I didn't manage to listen to before making my final 2021 list like Stand For Myself, Harmony House and I've got to add one more now, Calamities.

Remi Wolf was such a nice surprise! One of those random finds during that really takes you by surprise :heart:

How are Buttermilk and Sexy Villain not on your Yass picks :biblio: 

I'm honestly curious about the Aly and AJ album but was too scared to check it out cuz I thought it would be very disney'd nn. Might check it out sometime soon :thing: 

Mood Ring is cute, Buzzcut was such a great change of pace for Brockhampton imo and got me interested in them again :clap3: 

15 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Really did not care for Olivia's album outside of the rock-tinged songs.

Oh wow same bestie :sistrens: Her stans have the nerve to drag Brutal when it's one of the few songs with any flavor on the album.

Also really like the Indigo Souza song you listed! I had the album saved but never got to it so I'll give it a chance sometime soon.

Another New Love stanning :clap: Haven’t listened to it in MONTHS. Lemme get back into it

17 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

80.) Paul Cauthen - Country as Fuck

Country (both mainstream and not) was just foul this year. Thankfully, my dear Paul Cauthen (singer of another banger Cocaine Country Dancing) released this beauty of a song recently.

this is interesting

im a little intrigued to check out more

Edited by Insanity

30 was my favorite Adele album from what I've heard, I expected to hate it shfsd

didn't love the TWOD album either and I agree about If It Ain't Me and the comment :fan:

i actually agree with your kick ranking :jonny5: 3 might be tied with 1 at this point tho and deserved to be higher!

liked the Aly & AJ and Remi albums quite a bit :jamming: Pretty Places, My Little Love, Up and Good 4 u are great :clap3:

I think I'll see if I can get two updates out today, maybe even two tomorrow. The fact I was so out of it last night I forgot to reply to comments :deadbanana: So it's double trouble commenting today!

Best Albums of 2021 | 35 - 31

35.) Paco Amoroso - SAETA

Thank you to @TRF. for this suggestion! I listened to much less non-English language albums this year as I did last year unfortunately. So this album was fun to get into and I was bopping the entire time, yes I was!

Yass: Da Igual, Viuda Negra, Cerebro, Pistola Desnuda

Naur: n/a

34.) The Marías - CINEMA

And on a similar note (since this had non-English moments), here's The Marías popping up on my list again! I have to say though, as much as I like this album a lot, the first few songs kinda sounded like debut album Billie reject tracks LOL. But it gets really good after that first interlude. I appreciate they wrote a song about me and my friends! (The Mice Inside This Room)

Yass: Little by Little, Un Millón, Heavy, Talk to Her, Calling U Back

Naur: All I Really Want Is U

33.) Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine - A Beginner's Mind

I didn't expect to like this as much as I did, not in a shade way to either lads but I figured it was "eh just another collab album" but it really works. Great lyrics and very pretty. Not quite sure if I prefer this over his (still) underrated album from last year, but yeah it's good. Surprisingly I feel Angelo is the one who brings this out from being something like Carrie & Lowell 2.0 even tho I feel he usually does the slow sad music more than Sufjan.

Yass: Reach Out, Back to Oz, Fictional California, Lady Macbeth in Chains

Naur: n/a

32.) Porter Robinson - Nurture

Honestly, I could see this being somewhere in my top 20 if it wasn't so dang unnecessarily long. Nonetheless, great electronic album from this year. Incredible use of, I literally don't even know how to describe it... nostalgia? To make the songs feel so warm. For example, Look at the Sky has that production that sounds like a Dreamcast game like Nights into Dreams. It's like a more upbeat version of a Passion Pit record.

Yass: Musician, Look at the Sky, do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do, Something Comforting

Naur: Sweet Time

31.) Slayyyter - Troubled Paradise

She's like a sexed up version of Charli XCX, and it's great. I only really listened to her mixtape once... maybe twice? And then THAT controversy happened and I just stayed away. Seemed to be good reception for this so I hopped back in and really enjoyed it! I don't really have a huge preference of one side of the album over the other, but I just cannot get into Letters. Yes I know why the ballad gays are into it, but when the rest of the album is fun/funny sex bops, why would I want to close the album like that?

Yass: Cowboys, Over This!, Throatzillaaa, Troubled Paradise, Clouds

Naur: Letters

Best Songs of 2021 | 70 - 61

70.) Lil Nas X - Montero (Call Me By Your Name)

As I mentioned in the honorable mentions, I do like the album, but this song totally overshadows the rest of the songs on that record. The fact that it's so gay, the banging production, the fact he doesn't try to sing on it (much nnn), and the VIDEO. Whew. A deserved smash.

69.) Danny L Harle - Take My Heart Away

Upset to find this isn't most people's favorite song from the album! It's giving Cascada/Crazy Frog/mid 2000s greatness mixed with a touch of hyperpop modernity. 

68.) No Rome, Charli XCX, The 1975 - Spinning

This is highkey an excuse to have Charli on my list twice, since I'm attributing this to No Rome being the lead artist here. But I do genuinely enjoy the song and it's such a fun and cute little bop. The autotune is probably my favorite part of the song, especially as Charli's voice starts distorting right before the chorus in that "cuz u just keep" before we all start SPINNING.

67.) La Roux - Damaged Goods (Gang of Four Cover)

I was one of two people who actually thought La Roux's album last year was overhated and actually pretty good. However, even this cover (which does a great job of being its own song while still having actual ties to the original song) bodies like half of that album, so maybe I should rethink that opinion…

66.) Let's Eat Grandma - Hall of Mirrors

Borders on being a retread of their last album, but even if it was literally a copy/paste of Donnie Darko I would have put it on this list. Can't wait for the album.

65.) Kacey Musgraves - Good Wife

Put a bit of vocoder into any song and I will stan. Daft Punk weren't my faves for no reason! Honestly, it's probably a close tie of this and There is a Light as my top picks, but I think Good Wife is my favorite because it feels the most truly diarist moment on the album before things fall apart. And that's not shade of something like Justified, which is a great song, but it's a bit of a general song that everyone can relate to. This is very clearly describing Kacey's relationship.

64.) Majid Jordan - Summer Rain

Potentially my favorite Majid Jordan song now? It's so... menacing. The synth lines are so cool.

63.) Chloe - Have Mercy

Chloe x Halle always felt so overrated to me. I don't like any of that first album and their second album is fine but I only loved the title track and maybe one or two other songs. I don't even know what it is about this song, but it's just so much more captivating to me.

62.) Megan Thee Stallion - Thot Shit

HANDS ON MY NIECE, SHAKING ASS, AMA THOT SHIT. Is the mixtape she tied this song to any good?

61.) Tune-Yards - Hold Yourself

Optimistic songs can be a bit hammy and that's especially true for pop songs, but if you can nail it, it's so impactful. 

Montero (CMBYN) was such a slay :flame:

Comments under the spoiler~

Spoiler

On 12/17/2021 at 12:37 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

A Touch of the Beat is f*cking great :jonny5: I love their pop bops, but this is such a serve and TALENT

Mood Ring :smitten: summer vibes :smitten:

My Little Love is heartbreaking :jonny5: so haunting

Pretty Places :heart2: 

Yasss such a sophisticated and pretty album from them.

On 12/17/2021 at 1:34 AM, JGibson said:

Pretty Places + Close To You + Mood Ring :party:

Your taste! :clap:

On 12/17/2021 at 2:59 AM, dreamofyou said:

mood ring praise in literally every thread, the taste

my little love:monkey:

RIGHT I was very pleasantly surprised to see it

On 12/17/2021 at 3:27 AM, theblackestday said:

KicK iii is too low especially considering it's your favorite but I'll take it :thing:

Introducting... was very nice but a Q1 fad for me. Juno and Cassandra yup yup :clap3: 

First Thing to Go :jonny2:

nnn it just came out too late in the year, I'm sure it'd be higher.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:15 AM, Sempiternal said:

Pretty places, mood ring :heart2:

Your taste!!!

On 12/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, Lee!! said:

Remi Wolf, Close To You, Toast With the Butter :clap3:

omg Toast With the Butter is SOOOO underrated!

On 12/17/2021 at 11:30 AM, Sunderland 4ever said:

Heeey don't spoil my Top 10. :cupid:

Fantastic set of songs. Sugar :heart:  I didn't know Wild Nothing featured a song this year. Other highlights are If I Got It and My Little Love (my fave off her album) and Close To You. :worship:

WHAT wow I thought I'd be the only one with Aaron on my list nnn. You'd like that Wild Nothing feat!

On 12/17/2021 at 1:14 PM, Tinashegrande6 said:

:toofunny2:

Mood Ring is great though!

Couldn't be bothered to look up her name babe!

On 12/17/2021 at 2:51 PM, kiiwii said:

oh wow, aly & aj are so low. :dancehall: v cute tho! but tea, the title is too much nnn

some of these songs >>> sugar + pretty places + toast with the butter

emotion + close to you :jonny:these two are so damn good!

WHEW your taste. Honestly, as much as I like the Aly & AJ album, I didn't really listen to it as much as the higher albums here!

On 12/17/2021 at 4:49 PM, Legend E said:

Mood Ring :clap3:

My Little Love is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING :jonny:

TASTE

23 hours ago, luckystrike said:

yas at Aly & AJ :clap3: also loooove that Flowers for vases pick :heart:

It was between that and Just a Lover!

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

???? ℝ??? :clap:

TASTE

20 hours ago, witness1.3 said:

A touch of the beat :clap3: definitely one of my favorites from this year

Mood Ring, Pretty Places

I knew there'd be a lot of love for it here!

19 hours ago, JGibson said:

good 4 u + New Love :clap3:

BANGERS

18 hours ago, theblackestday said:

Not Naur at Bad Dream... you are cancelled

WwcczMP.gif

Calamities :jonny: best male album oty maybe so

Your dad recommending you Flock what :ahh: he has taste though

Bad Dream... I'm gonna need more time with it. Honestly I talk to my dad about music more than I do like... anyone else outside of ATRL/some other online friends :skull: It's kinda cool. He definitely has dadrock taste tho

15 hours ago, Lazuli said:

the only way i listen to his debut is terrible thrills :skull: he was outperformed in literally every song :skull: i think his music just fits the ladies better and he needs to stop singing

indigo yas her album was a great discovery this year! but why did you put bad dream in your naur list SIS it's literally an album highlight

good 4 u, up and hold u :katie2: 

LMFAO the only song I think was better original was I Wanna Get Better. I like Tinasha know but I thought she completely botched the song by making it all... quiet or whatever. Re Bad Dream: I guess I just like to be controversial sometimes!

14 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

G4U is such a rock banger, you just can't deny it :jonny5: 

omg so nice to see some love for New Love :-* Ellie is so good on dance bops tbh :jonny2: 

Daydreaming is heavenly :jonny5: 

Ellie really does shine on dance songs!

12 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

VERY nice picks, so let me ingore are still in like bottom parts of your lists  :dies:

Especially gagged at My Little Love, Pretty Places, Katy B etc as you can expect. You are right that miss Kathleen Brien still has some UK garage tendencies I don't mind her evoking here and there :gaycat4: Also love to see little Silk City praise, they need to release more frequently, cause it's more or less a bop every time. Dullest Poo still has me rolling a bit, I guess it earns the title as a whole, but Flux or New Heights are gorgous!

If it's on my list at all it's a very good thing! My list could have been 150 albums and like 300 songs!

12 hours ago, Sanguine said:

Indigo, Yola, Jane :jonny: not the Bad Dream hate though. The dramatic wail in the bridge is everything!

Good 4 U, Up, Expressions, Hold U (Real Pain > :eli::clap3: hmm maybe I’ll bother with the Katy B EP afterall

Maybe I just need more time with it :gaycat4: I think the Katy B Ep is worth a listen, but don't expect too much honestly nnn

5 hours ago, dangerousalex said:

Up and New Love :clap3:

BOPS

4 hours ago, rvx said:

Good 4 U is such a bop :jamming:

Exactly! We need more of that Ms. Rodrigo!

3 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

So many albums I didn't manage to listen to before making my final 2021 list like Stand For Myself, Harmony House and I've got to add one more now, Calamities.

WOW I totally would have thought you'd have listened to Harmony House given your love for Close to You. I think you'll like all of them, honestly especially Calamities. 

3 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Remi Wolf was such a nice surprise! One of those random finds during that really takes you by surprise :heart:

How are Buttermilk and Sexy Villain not on your Yass picks :biblio: 

I'm honestly curious about the Aly and AJ album but was too scared to check it out cuz I thought it would be very disney'd nn. Might check it out sometime soon :thing: 

Mood Ring is cute, Buzzcut was such a great change of pace for Brockhampton imo and got me interested in them again :clap3: 

Oh wow same bestie :sistrens: Her stans have the nerve to drag Brutal when it's one of the few songs with any flavor on the album.

Also really like the Indigo Souza song you listed! I had the album saved but never got to it so I'll give it a chance sometime soon.

Literally Buttermilk and Sexy Villain would be the next two top picks nnn Sexy Villain is a touch overrated tho! Aly & AJ album not Disney-fied at all believe it or not! It's kind of a sophisticated pop record. MESS yeah the Olivia stans probably joined that bandwagon with Driver's License so it makes sense why they hate Good 4 U and Brutal aka her BEST SONGS.

3 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Another New Love stanning :clap: Haven’t listened to it in MONTHS. Lemme get back into it

A timeless banger!

2 hours ago, Insanity said:

this is interesting

im a little intrigued to check out more

OMG so glad to see someone stanning this song! Definitely check out his song Cocaine Country Dancing (imo his best song) and if you like that give the whole album a spin. A good 2019 album.

1 hour ago, Legend E said:

Stand for Myself indeed deserved to be higher :jonny5:

Yeah this is why I hate lists because I change my mind every day knnnlsnkdlsnd I'M SORRY YOLA

4 minutes ago, K$Ellie said:

30 was my favorite Adele album from what I've heard, I expected to hate it shfsd

didn't love the TWOD album either and I agree about If It Ain't Me and the comment :fan:

i actually agree with your kick ranking :jonny5: 3 might be tied with 1 at this point tho and deserved to be higher!

liked the Aly & AJ and Remi albums quite a bit :jamming: Pretty Places, My Little Love, Up and Good 4 u are great :clap3:

LOL I mean, I knew Adele's new album would be cute since it wasn't just a 21/25 rehash. I'm sure Kick iiiiiiiiiiiiiii would be higher if she released it earlier in the year! Any mid-November albums and onward usually are just gone in my mind.

Spinning, kinda forgot how much I liked that song

GOOD WIFE YESSSS. That vocoder is so good

PAQUITOOOOOO :jonny5:I'm so glad you loved that album, it's really full of bops. It's so great seeing Argentinian rappers and singers do stuff in this style here tbh.

Also love seeing Danny, Megan and Chlöe :heart2:

Juno :smitten: Remi is one of the most promising new(er) artists out there, she injects SO much personality into her music. Sally being in naur :mandown: Wow our faves are quite different aside from SYLO! Quiet On Set's outro is a little too messy and long kiii. atotbgyuoyfgyoatits oh BABY!!! naur section EMPTY as it should be, ahh!!! Break Yourself is underrated, it didn't do well in the album survivor for some reason. Mood Ring + Pretty Places :alexz3: My Little Love's second half gets me so emotional ahh she was evil for that. Don't remember what FFTG sounds like oop, I think it was decent? || Oh I just added Yola to my list of artists to check out like 2 days ago, and Dayglow at some other point :lakitu: Didn't care much for New Love... Electricity outsold by far. || CINEMA :clap: good wife is my #1 from star-crossed mmm. Thot Shit is the first song I've enjoyed from Megan, great flow great bop! Have Mercy was a nice start for Chloe's solo venture but that write up, oh that's not... oh my.

troubled paradise rightfully the highest in this batch

I disagree about the LEG single being a retread, actually think it's so much worse and basic for them. hope the rest of the album won't disappoint

Montero and Have Mercy :clap3:

Also definitely do check out Something for thee Hotties. Obviously it is just a bunch of leftover tracks so the quality varies a lot from track to track, but it's a fun project overall.

Spinning :clap3: such a banger, I would've love little EP or side project like that

Damaged Goods :jonny5: I didn't know anyone listen to this cover besides me :rip:  I know everyone kinda dragged her for the same sound, but it's so blueprint for her, I love it tbh :skull: 

Wait

Funny you mentioned, Chain On was also a contender of mine. I just wanna roll some dice in somebody's Brooklyn apartment complex hallway. :katie2:

LMFAO the only song I think was better original was I Wanna Get Better. I like Tinasha know but I thought she completely botched the song by making it all... quiet or whatever.

ok you got a point, and maybe the sia one cuz it's a lil snoozy

the sufjan collab album is not too bad but idk it was a lil one note to me

spinning is kinda basic but a bop nonetheless

there is a light sucks thank god you chose superior wife instead

have mercy :WAP: i didn't know CxH were hated? 

hall of mirrors is a cute gorl and im so excited for the album 

have mercy is a massive bop, was stuck in my head for days

• ATRL Moderator

cinema/ troubled paradise are serves. letters in my trinity for troubled paradise tho oop.

songs: I love montero, hall of mirrors (made me restan LEG after the terrible lead), good wife, have mercy, thot shit

17 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

33.) Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine - A Beginner's Mind

I listened to this record a couple of times and that's it. It didn't grow on me.

Troubled Paradise, though. That one surely was a grower. :katie2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.