• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• TheWayWeWere

• Sunderland 4ever

• Lazuli

3 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Let's see if we can keep this up and aim to finish on Thursday!

Best Albums of 2021 | 15 - 11

15.) Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever

I didn't know how to explain it, but when Your Power came out and she announced the album, I just had a feeling Billie was going release her best album so far. Which was odd, because it wasn't like Your Power was my favorite song or anything, and everyone was crying about her dropping off and whatever. So I'm glad that when people speak about the album now they KNOW that it's way better than her debut! Fun exploration outside of her usual sound with songs like Billie Bossa Nova and dialing her usual sound from 1 to 1000 with songs like Oxytocin really captivate me. Don't even get me started on the title track.

Yass: Happier Than Ever, Oxytocin, Goldwing, Billie Bossa Nova, I Didn't Change My Number, NDA

Naur: Therefore I Am

11.) Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee

And just, just missing the top 10 is the lovely Japanese Breakfast. I was really caught off guard by this record, since I did like her last album but not as much as this! I love how summery the album is; I think I'll be playing this a lot in the warmer seasons in the future. FANTASTIC closer.

Yass: Be Sweet, Posing in Bondage, Posing for Cars, Slide Tackle, Kokomo IN, Paprika

Naur: n/a

Those two albums!

Happier Than Ever was much better than I expected it to be, it made me a fan of Billie Eilish, one of the best, if not the best album of 2021! 

happier than ever :clap3: billie avoided the sophomore slump (quality wise)! 

flowers for vases is lovely and you're right for saying that petals is still superior

ignorance is cute :clap3: 

not jubilee just missing the top 10 tho :chick3: 

this enchanted is honestly not too different from her discography/album so you should def give her another try! 

piece of my mind is cute but their weakest lead single tbh

bunny is also cute and i love caroline but i don't get the immense love for it?

silk chiffon is okay, i know the girlies can snap harder

Yup Petals for Armor was better I don't make the rules! It was more interesting sonically even if it lacks some cohesion because of it

BROODS mega snapped, album will EAT! Glam! is a big bop, should have been on CXI from the start, kinda forgot about it maybe it would have made my list too

bitch, your taste is so good :jonny:

Silk Chiffon :jonny: I kinda want pop album from Phoebe now :jonny2: 

Bunny :smitten: 

Hatchie :clap3: not you slapping her amazing debut :'( 

14 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

11.) Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee

We have it ranked at almost the same set. :hippo:

I would have probably ranked Roosevelt's record higher on my list if I hadn't completely forgotten about it after the first time I heard it. :dies:

This Enchanted in the Top 30. :worship2:

fffff I didn't like Silk Chiffon and Bunny was just cute to me, love to see Only For Tonight so high tho :clap3:

relistening to Jubilee right now actually, Paprika is still my fave :jonny5:

hated Hayley's album but maybe I should relisten one day :fan: also tune yards nnn

Happier Than Ever is perfect ahhh, love the Oxytocin, IDCMN, HTE and NDA shoutout :clap3:

Always isn't one of my faves on The Turning Wheel but it's really good still :jamming:

transparent soul, Last Day on Earth and the Tyler song are great choices as well :katie2:

Bruja is so good, in my top 3 of the series :jonny2: Tinashe, Faye and Tyler quite high :clap3:

Love Hayley, can't wait for paramore's confirmed returned! Great voice!

so much to catch up on but from the recent updates I really really love star-crossed and Happier Than Ever!

also Sweet Carolina is a great pick from Blue Banisters :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

Ohh yass Happier Than Ever and Jubilee :jonny4:

I don't understand why everyone stans that Silk Chiffon song, it's terrible :skull: and I say this as a fan of both MUNA and Phoebe :skull: 

Hayley Williams :clap3:  though im keen for Paramore to return, the fact they can go back to there old style! hopefully Travis saves them :chick3:

Penultimate update YEEHAW!

Best Albums of 2021 | 10 - 6

10.) Silk Sonic - An Evening With Silk Sonic

Wow, a male (group) made they way into my top 10! I am as shocked as you are because they were disappointing me all year. This is definitely my favorite of both of their albums, which is awesome since the record does a great job of combining the new (as of Uptown Funk I guess not new then nnn) cocky Bruno with his funky live instrumentation and smooth Anderson with his incredible drum patterns. I mean, I'm a sucker for good drums on songs, and I'm so blown away by some of the drum choices on his record. The singles were KINDA my favorite songs, but I wasn't disappointed by any of the album tracks. I just wish they didn't drag on LTDO for as long as they did and just released this in August. Oh well.

Yass: Leave The Door Open, After Last Night, Skate, Smokin Out the Window, Fly As Me, Blast Off

9.) Rochelle Jordan - Play With the Changes

This is the UK bass record I didn't know I've been waiting for. Even the more R&B leaning cuts like Lay and Count It are fantastic. Rochelle was the frontrunner for my AOTY from when it came out to around May, beating out The Weather Station's beginning of the year reign. Like I said with the track Next 2 You, a lot of this record is best listened to on a nighttime drive.

Yass: Next 2 You, Got Em, All Along, Something, Already, Dancing Elephants, Lay

8.) Marina - Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land

Finally I don't have to feel shame again about stanning Marina and can properly pretend Love + Fear doesn't exist LMFAO. And you know what, thank God I didn't start doing ranked lists until 2020 otherwise I would have, with gritted teeth, been like "yes I totally believe Love + Fear is a top 30 album for me... I love my fave..." Whew my fear of potentially handing over my stan card with that album. To talk about the album, I totally get most of the hate people have for this album. But for me, I know Marina's back when she's doing at least a small handful of piano-based songs, the SASS has returned both lyrically and in her voice, she's using live instruments, she actually has SOME creative vision with the album, etc. Although, I will agree that I don't love that the ballads outweigh the upbeat songs, even if Goodbye made me tear up the first time I heard it. Those gaskeep gateboss girllight songs were the best as much as people try and whine about them!

Yass: Venus Fly Trap, Goodbye, Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land, Purge the Poison, Man's World, Flowers

Naur: I Love You But I Love Me More

7.) CHVRCHES - Screen Violence

This is a solid return to form after... that last album. And you know what, as time goes on I just fall more and more in love with this record to the point where it may even be my favorite over their debut, which is still a fantastic record! The band just sounds so good on every song, Lauren sounds great, the lyrics are both REAL but also don't take themselves too seriously (Final Girl). Always have to stan a bit of Scottish excellence eh!

Yass: He Said She Said, Final Girl, How Not To Drown, Good Girls, Asking For a Friend, Nightmares

6.) St. Vincent - Daddy's Home

Maybe I'm just too much of a stan to dislike anything Annie puts out, but I do genuinely love this record. And that love was solidified even more when she was my first live concert since March 2020. Reader, as someone who used to go to concerts at least once a month, I missed that shit. I'd seen St. Vincent before and she SMASHED it live this time. But back to the actual record, I appreciate that she went more of an early 70s route with this sound instead of something like the disco-filled late 70s that a lot of girlies were doing last year. It's quite interesting that this album is, in a way, the true follow-up to Strange Mercy (my fave album of hers) 10 years later, since that album was all about her father's incarceration that most of us didn't know about at the time. Since it's not my top song (spoiler), I wanna give My Baby Wants a Baby a little extra love - I don't see most people talking about it and it's such a beautiful, heartbreaking song.

Yass: Down, My Baby Wants a Baby, Down and Out Downtown, Daddy's Home, Pay Your Way in Pain, ...At the Holiday Party, Somebody Like Me

Best Songs of 2021 | 20 - 11

20.) Mitski - Working for the Knife

For a while, I couldn't choose between this and The Only Heartbreaker, but as someone who prefers Geyser over Nobody, it makes more sense for me to prefer Working for the Knife over The Only Heartbreaker. Lyrical queen, no one does it like her, etc. Fun fact I never cared for Mitski until her last album nnn.

19.) Japanese Breakfast - Be Sweet

Not Jbrekkie being snubbed from the top 10 in the song list too, say it ain't so! What a major banger of a song. I respect folks who are into the more slower songs who would pick either "Posing..." song as their top pick, but the second Be Sweet's chorus kicks in I am just GRINNING singing along.

18.) Jazmine Sullivan - Pick Up Your Feelings

This came out last year right? OOPS idgaf, musicians stop releasing their best songs from a project that you'll release in the following year the year before challenge! This is my only "actually 2020" cheat on my list (I think), so it's fine. The fucking DRAGGED some bitch on this song! That "don't forget. to come and. pick up your. OOOOOH, FEELINGS!!!!!!!!" first run, and then continued chorus is easily the best part. So memorable, fun to sing, just so so so good.

17.) CHVRCHES - He Said She Said

That's right, I picked the song from the album everyone hates! I don't give a shit! Y'all probably won't even read this write-up anyway so I can say whatever I want! Bush did 9/11! Okay anyway, I (you will rarely hear me say this nowadays) agree with Pitchfork's analysis of this song and it's exactly what makes me like this song. Part of me wanted to conform and pick the obvious single How Not to Drown, or my favorite non-single that's pretty popular Final Girl, but I had to go with my instincts and pick my true favorite from the album: He Said She Said. Her autotune serve in the pre-chorus, the smasher breakdown of a chorus, the lyrics being SOOOOO Lauren because men are fucking awful to her, it all comes together in this masterpiece of a song. I should have made it #1 to piss everyone off!

16.) Erika de Casier - Polite

It felt impossible to decide on one song for Erika (thankfully NBNN came out last year, but the wistful and sultry Drama, the upbeat and funny Busy, scathing Better Than That, recent COLORS performance song Make My Day, etc.), but I have to go with Polite for the sole fact of how many times I played this bop when it came out in anticipation of Sensational. To me, it's all a 10/10. BUT. The best part of the song is the rap after the second chorus. "What is up?" "Well I don't see how..." And you know what Erika, YAAAAS everyone should strive for a polite boy! We don't give a shit about bad boys or rude boys or disrespectful boys. Oof what a chorus too.

15.) Illuminati Hotties - MMMOOOAAAAAYAYA

This song is INSANE. I've been waiting all year for a bratty rock song like this and WHEW has it been stuck in my head and played on repeat for the past month. There's something about lyrics being fun to sing, but MMMOOOAAAAAYAYA is just fun to sing along to with all the backing vocals. The chorus is very easy (it's in the title hello), the certain lines that just beg to be sung with her "I sit around like an OLD TORTILLA!", the call-and-response bridge, the moan/scream before the final chorus, like my gosh, what a fucking infectious little song. I wish I liked the rest of the album as much as this and Pool Hopping.

14.) Kylie Minogue, Jessie Ware - Kiss of Life

Still kinda pissed at how mid of a reaction ATRL seemed to have when this finally was announced and dropped. It's so fucking good. I think you can slightly tell this was made from Jessie's WYP team, but it takes the best sultry aspects of Jessie and camp aspects of Kylie and roll it into a fantastic gay bop. AND the fact that they gave us the video of the year?! We truly don't deserve them!

13.) Gavin Turek - Hero

Another album where it was damn-near impossible to pick a top song! For me though, I had to pick Hero, which I think is the closest thing to a title track Madame Gold has. I'd had a pretty hard year mostly tied to my year of unemployment (June 2020-July this year), so when I heard this song it just spoke to me so much. I've never really been one to get help from other people, but I looked at it in such a "wah I'm a victim, pity party" way for a while. Sometime at the beginning of the year I had a little switch like "fuck that, I'm the one to bring myself back up and where I want to be", essentially calling myself my own Hero. Which is exactly what Gavin created in this song. Outside of the personal feelings to the lyrics... the song is a baaaaaanger babes.

12.) Silk Sonic - Leave the Door Open

I really wanted to give a non-single the spotlight here (or even a non-LTDO single), but I've spent 3/4 of this year falling in love with Leave the Door Open again and again and again while the duo spent WAY TOO FUCKING LONG deciding on when to release their album. So here we are. I can't even say anything else that other publications haven't said better. Thank you lads for giving a bit of fun funk back to pop music this year.

11.) Slayyyter - Cowboys

And just missing the top 10 is Slayyyter's second appearance (first one was in the album list)! She absolutely snapped here; the Sleigh Bells print. YEEHAW!

Comments under the spoiler~

Spoiler

23 hours ago, OreGuy said:

CLOSE THIS NOW :jonny: Happier Than Ever and Jubilee getting this high aaahhh we love to see it :jonny5:

And Bunny is a rider showing up too :clap3:

Your CONTINUED taste babe :clap:

23 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

I didn’t like Star-crossed overall, but Good Wife & Justified were cute!

Happier Than Ever was a great sophomore album indeed! NDA is really underrated here, glad it got a lil shoutout in your favs

Also, Transparent Soul & Porter Robinson :clap3:

I'll take it re: my Star Crossed picks! nnn. YES no clue why people cried about NDA so much when it came out. Knew you'd stan Porter :clap:

22 hours ago, Yvess said:

i find beabadoobee's voice promising and soothing, i need to listen to her more often. i only connected so much with Back to Mars as 

I'm starting to decide I like her EP more than her debut album, but she only has one so maybe just keep an eye on her!

21 hours ago, JGibson said:

Bunny Is A Rider + Silk Chiffon :worship:

Two BOOOOOPS

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

??????  ???????? :clap3:

A queen we love her!

20 hours ago, D/X said:

Japanese Breakfast :party:

And Piece of My Mind :clap3: I really liked that they've kept kinda their same sound and evolving it at the same time.

Yes great way to put Piece of My Mind!

20 hours ago, mylicious said:

Those two albums!

Happier Than Ever was much better than I expected it to be, it made me a fan of Billie Eilish, one of the best, if not the best album of 2021! 

Much agreed!

19 hours ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

Bunny is a rider is great :clap3: The comment underneath it alskfnalgng :deadbanana2:

dsdhshdslh it literally lives in my mind rent free. I saw a comment on that video and someone was like "she should be a riddle master" and I couldn't stop giggling for like 20min straight

19 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

HTE:clap3:

silk chiffon bop bop bop

YAAAAAAS

13 hours ago, Lazuli said:

happier than ever :clap3: billie avoided the sophomore slump (quality wise)! 

flowers for vases is lovely and you're right for saying that petals is still superior

ignorance is cute :clap3: 

not jubilee just missing the top 10 tho :chick3: 

this enchanted is honestly not too different from her discography/album so you should def give her another try! 

piece of my mind is cute but their weakest lead single tbh

bunny is also cute and i love caroline but i don't get the immense love for it?

silk chiffon is okay, i know the girlies can snap harder

YES we don't care about commercial success in this house :-* As you can tell by some of my picks nnn

Silk Sonic JUST booted her out of the top 10 last month sadly!

Hmm maybe I will. Maybe I'll start with that EP that I skipped out on.

I mean, to be fair, as much as I really enjoy Bunny, it's still less good than like half of Pang and half of Chairlift's discog

11 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Yup Petals for Armor was better I don't make the rules! It was more interesting sonically even if it lacks some cohesion because of it

BROODS mega snapped, album will EAT! Glam! is a big bop, should have been on CXI from the start, kinda forgot about it maybe it would have made my list too

Finally the PFA stans come out! I honestly think cohesion is so overrated of a thing to stan albums for nnn if it works like in WYP then cool but it doesn't HAVE TO every time, or even most of the time! ANYWAY slaaaaay can't wait for Broods album with your tease there. 

11 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

bitch, your taste is so good :jonny:

Silk Chiffon :jonny: I kinda want pop album from Phoebe now :jonny2: 

Bunny :smitten: 

Hatchie :clap3: not you slapping her amazing debut :'( 

I'd kinda stan a pop Phoebe album!

9 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

We have it ranked at almost the same set. :hippo:

I would have probably ranked Roosevelt's record higher on my list if I hadn't completely forgotten about it after the first time I heard it. :dies:

This Enchanted in the Top 30. :worship2:

WELL GIVE ROOSEVELT ANOTHER LISTEN THEN BABES

9 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

fffff I didn't like Silk Chiffon and Bunny was just cute to me, love to see Only For Tonight so high tho :clap3:

relistening to Jubilee right now actually, Paprika is still my fave :jonny5:

hated Hayley's album but maybe I should relisten one day :fan: also tune yards nnn

Happier Than Ever is perfect ahhh, love the Oxytocin, IDCMN, HTE and NDA shoutout :clap3:

Always isn't one of my faves on The Turning Wheel but it's really good still :jamming:

transparent soul, Last Day on Earth and the Tyler song are great choices as well :katie2:

Bruja is so good, in my top 3 of the series :jonny2: Tinashe, Faye and Tyler quite high :clap3:

I knew we have the same great taste with Pearl Charles which is ALL that matters :clap:Mess as long as you liked Hayley's last year album more than Flowers for Vases (even if you hated that too) idgaf!

8 hours ago, KasioKas said:

Love Hayley, can't wait for paramore's confirmed returned! Great voice!

I have a FEELING... maybe next year or the one after.

6 hours ago, Moonlightbae said:

so much to catch up on but from the recent updates I really really love star-crossed and Happier Than Ever!

also Sweet Carolina is a great pick from Blue Banisters :clap3:

AHH finally another Sweet Carolina stan!

4 hours ago, Legend E said:

Ohh yass Happier Than Ever and Jubilee :jonny4:

I don't understand why everyone stans that Silk Chiffon song, it's terrible :skull: and I say this as a fan of both MUNA and Phoebe :skull: 

WOW I've never seen Silk Lesbion hate like this before.

34 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Hayley Williams :clap3:  though im keen for Paramore to return, the fact they can go back to there old style! hopefully Travis saves them :chick3:

They're working with Travis??? Barker??? Anyway After Laughter is my favorite album from them so I don't care what direction they go in nnn

CHVRCHES :clap3:

But WAIT @ He Said She Said...

1. I loved the writeup :lmao:

2. Since when are people hating on it? Like what's the story behind? From the 3 singles it's by far the best one so I'm lost on that one.

Oh and Be Sweet :clap3: 

Leave The Door Open + He Said She Said :party:

Albums: Rochelle and St. V :clap3: 

Songs: Japanese Breakfast, Jazmine, Erika, Silk Sonic :clap3: 

screen violence :alexz: LOVE final girl too i think it's really cute when she's sing about her accent??

daddy's home :jonny5: yes praise my baby wants a baby it's so good. you have almost the entire album in your yass list but where is live in the dream???

the only heartbreaker >> working for the knife but at least you have her in the top 20!

be sweet :katie2: 

he said she said :deadbanana: yes i read your writeups and no you ain't convincing anyone! 

kiss of life :gaygacat6:

9 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Finally I don't have to feel shame again about stanning Marina and can properly pretend Love + Fear doesn't exist LMFAO

so on point :jonny5:  even though I still bop to some songs from L+F :skull: it aged badly tbh

Working for a Knife :clap3: btw, Geyser grows so much on me, one of her best songs ever :jonny5: 

Kiss of Life is low-key better than a half of DISCO :jonny: 

Pick Up Your Feelings :smitten: 

Oh it's ALL classics now :jonny5:

Totally agree about pointing out that Rochelle album just hits better at some nighttime city ride :allears:

Marina stepped up from L+F for sure, but I got bored of the album a bit too fast, maybe the deluxe will revive it a bit for me

I don't hate He Said She Said, it's just not representing the greatness of the album as much!

Kiss of Life and Leave The Door Open modern day classics I fear

Cowboys bops I can say it even as a Slayyyter hater :keir:

16 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

10.) Silk Sonic - An Evening With Silk Sonic

I keep procrastinating on listening to this album. :jonny:

16 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Yass: Somebody Like Me

Outstanding choice :jonny5:

Great choices on your Top 20 tracks as well. Here are all my faves:

20.) Mitski - Working for the Knife

19.) Japanese Breakfast - Be Sweet

15.) Illuminati Hotties - MMMOOOAAAAAYAYA (So catchy :katie2:)

14.) Kylie Minogue, Jessie Ware - Kiss of Life

12.) Silk Sonic - Leave the Door Open

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.