Ewan Chaos's Best of 2021! | Albums 5-1 + Songs 10-1

Ewan Chaos

• ATRL Moderator

your solar power naur being my fave from the album asdjlnsald

Texis a slay. only listened to montero once but enjoyed it enough (he can't sing at all)

crooked machine is nothing close to the original but still enjoyed

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• TheWayWeWere

• Sunderland 4ever

• Lazuli

16 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Yass: Sugarcane, Get Closer, Johnny & Jonnie

Get Closer is definitely my favorite off the album. :clap3:

"[Solar Power hate] was a little much since I think this album is pretty cute. Clearly doesn't touch a pretty little hair on Melodrama's head," Exactly! Not too much on Pure Heroine though... :thing: Also, Stoned at the Nail Salon is a highlight! I love, love, love WALK THE MOON! This album was their weakest but still enjoyable. Rise Up is the weakest track ever, the fact that they made it a single is baffling. You spilled with that trinity + What If Nothing potentially being their best work (still can't decide between that and their self-titled debut. TIH is also great.)

I got into Agnes in the last 2-3 weeks when people wouldnt stop talking about her and Magic Still Exists is a good song!

21 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Naur: Leader of a New Regime, Stoned at the Nail Salon, Big Star

Stoned at the Nail salon is such a bore lol

your Magic Still Exists and Montero top picks are amazing :clap3: as a Lorde stan SP was such a disappointment for me ddd, but your top 3 I s very much correct

Let's get started! Also no I don't give a shit the Spotify bars aren't center-justified leave me alone.

Best Albums of 2021 | 50 - 46

50.) Men I Trust - Untourable Album

Oncle Jazz was cute, but the length really made me never wanna go back to it outside of background music. This album feels much more concise, both in utilizing a shorter album in terms of time, but also the songs have been given a bit more than their previous work, imo. I don't trust them either because they are apparently going on tour for this album. YOU_LIED.gif Listen if you want a chill and bass-driven album.

Yass: Sugar, Tree Among Shrubs, Serenade of Water

Naur: n/a

49.) Adele - 30

Her best album and yet... still has flaws. I wrote a review about it in that ATRL thread so just read that if you want more opinions, but basically: 1. Woman Like Me is her Emily King copy/paste but it's a serve and underrated and 2. Cry Your Heart Out, while also way underrated, is SUCH A SHAME she made her vocals do that in the chorus. Oh and yes I did cry to My Little Love.

Yass: My Little Love, Woman Like Me, To Be Loved, All Night Parking Interlude

Naur: Can I Get It

48.) Shinichiro Yokota - Tokonoma Style

This is the most recent addition to my list. Even though I prefer his 2019 album, this is still great music that makes me feel like I'm in a video game. Kinda weird hearing this version of Space Station without Little Boots but, hey, makes sense.

Yass: Time Lapse, Space Station, Momiji, Asian Monsoon

Naur: n/a

47.) Midnight Sister - Painting the Roses

This was a very early love sometime in the very slow beginning of the year. I just adore anything that has lots of funk to it, and WHEW this is filled to the BRIM with songs like that. Absolutely love the instruments used as well. Vocals are a bit odd, so don't check it out if that bothers you a lot.

Yass: Satellite, Sirens, Limousine, Escalators

Naur: My Elevator Song

46.) Dawn Richard - Second Line

Her 2019 album was my first experience with Dawn. Thought it was meh. Then this album came out. Wow! Very impressive change from those two albums alone. I agree with the general sentiment that the best tracks are on the first half.

Yass: Bussifame, Boomerang, Nostalgia, Jacuzzi

Naur: The interludes lmao

Best Songs of 2021 | 100 - 91

100.) ABBA - Don't Shut Me Down

I mean you GOTTA put an ABBA song on your list even if most of the album was meh, right?!

99.) Bleachers - How Dare You Want More

The fact that this is basically Rollercoaster and it's by far the best song on the album, figure it out Jack. This album was very close to being in the bottom 20 (or barely is in the bottom 20 I don't remember).

98.) Garbage - No Gods No Masters

We love to see an improvement from their 2016 album!

97.) Lion Babe - Frida Kahlo

Wished the rest of the album was more in the interesting vein of this song :/

96.) Midnight Sister - Siren

Oh hey, just talked about this album! I could barely decide between this and Siren, and while Siren is more attention-grabbing and Bond-like in a fun way, I think the slink grooves of this song are just a touch more interesting.

95.) John Hancock III - Shhh (If It's Real)

I'm sure for most people a lot of my list will have randos, but trust me, this'll be the MOST rando on here I think. Found a song by him in 2014, was jamming to it this year, curious to see what he was up to, found this album. It was pretty good! This was the synthy highlight.

94.) The War on Drugs, Lucius - I Don't Live Here Anymore

One album wonder I fear, men this year disappointed me over and over, etc.

93.) Walk the Moon - Heights

Their album was on my honorable mentions, and the title track opener is my favorite. I wouldn't say it's the most innovative song, but the wavey verses are almost innovative in the world of Walk the Moon? If that makes sense. It's just breezy and fun and exactly what I like about the band. And the bisexual frontman.

92.) Dua Lipa - If It Ain't Me

Right, I'm gonna say it. This should have replaced Good in Bed and the Love is Religion remix should have replaced Boys Will Be Boys. Yes I've tested this, yes it changes Future Nostalgia from 8.5/10 to 9.5/10. I also don't get why people cry about Normani not being on the song? I didn't listen to the leak but have no clue what she would have added to this song.

91.) The Marías - Little By Little

This is not the last time you'll see The Marías on this list! /spoiler. There were a few contenders for my favorite song from their album, but I'm a huge sucker for multiple languages being used within one song (hence why I stan Xtine and the Queens) and I also love the groove (you'll see me saying this a lot) of this song.

Comments under the spoiler~

Spoiler

On 12/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

I totally ignored JMSN this year fully :skull: Wasn't even intentional either.

Harlecore was just a non-event. The caroline songs definitely brought it down. 

Majid are a duo that I want to root for but they never really seem to able to produce a quality album. I think they should make another EP since A Place Like This is still my favorite thing they've done. 

It's funny how (I think) you introduced me to JMSN and then I started being the one to stan him nnn. You don't really need to listen to his album outside of one or two songs.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:16 PM, Pink Matter said:

Nn I used to be a Zayn stan (used to as in as of a few weeks ago when he went off the deep end :biblionny:)

MoM is generic Pop/R&B excellence (flawless from beginning to end!) and Icarus Falls, while being incredibly bloated, had a solid album hidden underneath. Nobody's Listening was just exceedingly mediocre though.

Update:

Cute HMs. I actually checked out the JMSN album (which unfortunately came and went :skull:) and while it was nice, I just didn't have the urge to go back to it.

LNX needs to stick to making Rap bangers (Dead Right Now, Industry Baby, Scoop :katie2:) cuz the pop songs outside of a few like One of Me and Am I Dreaming sound like parodies of what a pop song should sound like (looking at you TWIW).

I only listened to Solar Power (the song) and Mood Ring. Neither of which really enticed me to listen to the album.

Really enjoyed the Majid Jordan album (enough to make me stan them officially!) though I'll say it's no where near as good as their last album.

Yeah felt exactly the same way with JMSN outside of a handful of songs. I barely even remember the pop songs from Montero :deadbanana: Yass the MJ stanning.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:43 PM, kiiwii said:

the Majid Jordan album had some cute tracks, as did Lil Nas X's.

Harlecore was also rather enjoyable, absolutely loved Take My Heart Away :jonny:

YAAAAS such a fun song!

On 12/14/2021 at 9:03 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

I'm kinda surprised how almost entire ATRL hates Solar Power :deadbanana: I love it mostly

Magic Still Exist is such a nice discovery for me this year, Veritas was good too, but I rarely listen to it, but this one has amazing replay value

nnn glad it has a stan! It is entertaining at least.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, Sempiternal said:

ive been seeing Solor power on a lot of best of :eek:  i haven't gave it a listen since everyone hated on it, but considering giving it a listen

Ehhhhhhh it's okay nnn it's on my honorable mentions for a reason!

On 12/14/2021 at 9:33 PM, TalkThatRihanna said:

FINALLY some recognition for Lost in the Citadel :jonny5: Easily one of the bests on the album 

OKAY I was wondering why so many people have been snubbing it! Punk-pop excellence! Well idk if that's the right genre, whatever!

On 12/14/2021 at 9:34 PM, ATRL Username said:

Texis was cute!!

They finally did a good job with an album!

On 12/14/2021 at 10:01 PM, MP2K said:

I'm so bad with albums. Didn't know our boys JMSN and Majrid released their albums at all lol

nnn well honestly even if JMSN is higher on my list I think Majid is more the one to check out.

On 12/14/2021 at 11:05 PM, dreamofyou said:

big star in the naur category :biblio:

Sorry sis :mandown: Shame too since it's about her dog.

22 hours ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

Magic still exists was cute but I found the interludes really bizzare :rip:

I still need to listen to Montero, I got put off by That's What I Want :gaycat6:

Totally agree, definitely the main reason I knocked that album down a few points. So many people hate That's What I Want I'm surprised! I mean I don't love it but.

19 hours ago, MP2K said:

Yves Tumor - one of my faves

Jazmine, beabadoobee also delivered

YAAAAAAAS. I still bump that 2020 Yves album all the time too.

18 hours ago, Lazuli said:

no hate for solar power here yas :clap3: the robyn feature is the best moment on the album nn idc

texis is amazing i wish it wasn't just an HM! 

Well we are all allowed our own opinions! Texis was very very close to being on the official list!

16 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

All fair choices, I was scared Crooken Machine would be bad, but it's pretty decent. It's just that it doesn't really add anything those songs would need. They are all in perfect shape and length in their original form. But it doesn't hurt them either so it's cute.

Cackled as "Release Me songstress", but to be fair it's a classic and it still sounds good! Glad she tried the disco sound, cause she nailed it

Yeah basically agree with Crooked Machine, though I certainly had less investment because I knew the original would be there. It's the only way I'll see Ms. Agnes! When I saw everyone stanning a 24 Hours by an Agnes I assumed it was a different one and was SHOOK when the voice matched up.

15 hours ago, theblackestday said:

Solar Power dishonorable mention maybe
Texis, Harlecore, Montero are all cute and fitting for HMs

btw listened to the Gallant EP it's very pretty I enjoyed it

WHEW glad you enjoyed Neptune :clap:

14 hours ago, Tsareena said:

your solar power naur being my fave from the album asdjlnsald

Texis a slay. only listened to montero once but enjoyed it enough (he can't sing at all)

crooked machine is nothing close to the original but still enjoyed

Well we'll see which one it is later :mandown:

13 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Get Closer is definitely my favorite off the album. :clap3:

YAY another person who listened to the album. A very very close #2 for me.

12 hours ago, Remmy said:

"[Solar Power hate] was a little much since I think this album is pretty cute. Clearly doesn't touch a pretty little hair on Melodrama's head," Exactly! Not too much on Pure Heroine though... :thing: Also, Stoned at the Nail Salon is a highlight! I love, love, love WALK THE MOON! This album was their weakest but still enjoyable. Rise Up is the weakest track ever, the fact that they made it a single is baffling. You spilled with that trinity + What If Nothing potentially being their best work (still can't decide between that and their self-titled debut. TIH is also great.)

Self-titled is my second favorite too! TIH is probably my least favorite, or this new album. Not sure.

9 hours ago, Insanity said:

I got into Agnes in the last 2-3 weeks when people wouldnt stop talking about her and Magic Still Exists is a good song!

Yeah you'd definitely be into her album or at least some songs!

6 hours ago, luckystrike said:

your Magic Still Exists and Montero top picks are amazing :clap3: as a Lorde stan SP was such a disappointment for me ddd, but your top 3 I s very much correct

OUR TASTE :clap3:

5 hours ago, Legend E said:

Okay, I may like SP but it is not better than PH :skull: 

Yes yes I know I'm like the only person with that opinion nnn I kinda hated Pure Heroine tho, did NOT get the hype and I even gave it a revisit and I have the exact same opinions. Melodrama >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

30 is pretty good, but Idk, it was the first time I didn't like her record from the first listen tbh, I think it serves one of her best vocals and lyrics ever, but it's still a bit underwhelming. My Little Love is one of her all-time bests though

Second Line :clap3: amazing record, but I think I loved previous ones better, she's still so freaking underrated :cries: 

No Gods No Masters :clap3: 

It Ain't Me :alexz: I loved this since the leak, and yeah, I didn't mind Normani absence too :rip: 

I think the Normani absence only annoys people because they were so used to hearing the leak. I got whiplash at first but eventually I got used to it. Normani sounds really similar to Dua on it anyway.

3 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Let's get started! Also no I don't give a shit the Spotify bars aren't center-justified leave me alone.

They're centered on mobile :cm:

I Don't Live Here Anymore :heart2:

I enjoyed 30 as well, surprised so many others hated it. 

I was SO hyped for If It Ain’t Me but tbh the solo version just lacked so much. I really missed Normani’s ad-libs in the final chorus 

The Dawn Richard album was okay for me. Only listened to it once but it wasn't my speed.

While I like Frida Khalo quite a bit, it was much weaker than their previous albums singles so I already figured Rainbow Child wasn't going to be that good :shutup: 

If It Ain't Me was just okay (honestly none of the bonus tracks were that good; and I doubt the Normani version would've been that much better). I had a feeling the gays massively overrated it.

Not mad at anything leaving so far :duck: 

7 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

men this year disappointed me over and over, etc.

This is such a true statement :doc: 

My Little Love is so excellent the album should be a bit higher just for that! I agree it's her best album too probably :alexz3:

I also agree that Voyage as a whole was a bit disappointing, but DSMD alone was a dream come true ABBA song in 2021, all I wanted from them and even if it's just one satisfying song, it met all my expectations! 

Jack's album was meh, but I guess HDYWM was one of the better songs. 

If It Ain't Me a bop I'll admit, bit I find it a bit overrated and I'm glad it wasn't on FN OG. The LIR comment 100% true tho!

10 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

50.) Men I Trust - Untourable Album

49.) Adele - 30

We have these two ranked almost in the same set. :dies:

10 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

92.) Dua Lipa - If It Ain't Me

My fave off the songs ranking so far. :katie2:

New Dawn was your Dawn introduction? You have to listen to Redemption/Blackheart. 

Adele really is not good but 30 is less bad than her other albums, so I agree. 

Heaux Tales isn't an Ep by RIAA standards (for it to be a EP in the US it has to be either 5-8 tracks or it can't exceed 30 minutes... It doesn't fall into either category) but it's a good project. Like other said Reality Show & her Debut are better for me. 

30 :heart: Whew our favorites are quite different (except ANP I). Cry Your Heart Out is kinda ugly nnn and there's like 2 other tracks that are just fine but don't wow me in any way - including the newest single. Can I Get It is fun! Just needed less whistling, maybe even none at all. I cried at My Little Love as well :cries: || Despite being a Rollercoaster stan, HYDWM needed a little time to grow on me. Mainly because the "Still my mother, still my wheel, yeah" part turned me off for some reason? I enjoy the 2 singles more than it atm. Little by Little :jamming: Heights + If It Ain't Me are really great :clap3::clap3: "This should have replaced Good in Bed and the Love is Religion remix should have replaced Boys Will Be Boys" I enjoy all of FN but this is a great concept! Throw in That Kind of Woman too since that's the best new track.

• ATRL Moderator

30 :clap3: but I disagree with it being Adele's best album.

Don't Shut Me Down :jonny4: NGNM and IIAM :clap3: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.