H100: Easy On Me 5x #1, Oh My God #5

Renan90

1 minute ago, Gaia said:

Billie Eilish was the #1 popstar of 2019 with an alternative album. Curious as to how you think it's not a popular genre/sound.

WWAFA was not folk and had a lot of trap percussion and contemporary production

folklore was a largely acoustic folk-infused album with some country influences :skull:

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gaia

• georgechxng

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Brando

12 minutes ago, Gaia said:

I didn't say it had excellent legs. I said 25 weeks is not "only" as that's charting for 6 additional months.

You guys are truly something else.

Re-read the post i qouted so you will get the clear context this time. 

11 minutes ago, georgechxng said:

@Artistofthedecade I don't get why you lie so much :cm: it's okay to admit Miss Adkins is stomping WW.

"Australia: Adele lands highest selling first week album in Australia since 2017"

Which is biggest since Taylor's 2017 album Reputation which debuted with 55k in AUS. Biggest debut since Reputation =/= biggest debut since Divide

"Germany: Adele's “30” earned the most successful debut week of an international solo artist in Germany in over 4.5 years."

Biggest debut for an international artist =/= biggets debut since Divide

"Canada: Adele’s 30 debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard Canadian Albums chart, achieving a sweep of highest album sales, on-demand streams and digital song sales for the week. It is her third consecutive chart-topping album. 30 surpasses Drake’s 2018 album Scorpion for the highest one-week consumption unit total since MRC Data began factoring in streams and digital song sales with album sales in 2016 and it has the highest one-week album sales since P!nk’s Beautiful Trauma in November 2017"

Biggest debut since Drake or Pink =/= Biggest debut since Divide

Thank you

Cruel Summer

Edited by Artistofthedecade

QueenofCopyPaste

30 sounds the same to 21 and 25

:rip: EENT visit needs to be booked lol

1 minute ago, KeshaSwift said:

Artistically she hasn't push any boundries - You can blend pretty much her entire discography and most people won't be able to connect songs to the sound of a certain album. I mean her album titles all are named the same. :rip: She plays it safe bc she knows that'll bring her the numbers. It's understabdble ofc, but I do respect her less for that as an artist.

Well, i couldn't imagine Adele could sing any other style than this but might be i understand what you mean. In term of song-writing, Taylor is definitely one of the best and she can be flexible between pop and country music that's why she's there for 15 years. But 30 is underperformed not because Adele hasn't changed, just because it isn't a good album imo. I remember i like most songs on 19 and 21 even though they are difficult to relate. 25 was a decent album but i only use like 1 song on 30. 

2 minutes ago, KeshaSwift said:

Yes. How's that not understandable? most people will say the same.

Well i don’t agree, aside from a few songs.

and i’ve yet to read a review in magazines, watch any reaction and hear from any casual listener saying that 30 is basically the same as 21 and 25.

12 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Publications says that China sales are reliable

IFPI 

Forbes

Guiness Records

Bloomberg 

Publications says that China sales are reliable

ATRL user Georgechxng

I guess i know which one i should go with  :matty:

And no, Adele didn't have biggest debut since Divide at most of these countries, except UK. 

Folklore

Taylor Swift's 'Folklore' Sells Over 2 Million Copies Worldwide - Variety

Lover

Taylor Swift’s Lover has sold over 3 million equivalent units worldwide - Music Business Worldwide

Cruel Summer

Its funny, folklore 2M first week but only 2M pure after 6 months and 9 best selling album of the year behind albums like changes, and Post Malone and Harry Styles 2019 albums (info published by IFPI), these numbers don't add up

2 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Re-read to post i qouted so maybe you will get the context this time. 

"Australia: Adele lands highest selling first week album in Australia since 2017"

Which is biggest since Taylor's 2017 album Reputation which debuted with 55k in AUS. Biggest debut since Reputation =/= biggest debut since Divide.

Cruel Summer

@Adele’s “30” has the highest debut week for an album in Australia since Ed Sheeran’s “Divide” in march of 2017

Why are you talking about Reputation?

Cruel Summer

3 minutes ago, dylanx said:

WWAFA was not folk and had a lot of trap percussion and contemporary production

folklore was a largely acoustic folk-infused album with some country influences :skull:

You said folk/alternative not folk. 

Regardless, switching genres is not pushing a boundary. Pushing a boundary would be her singing an album like WWFAWDWG or Fame Monster. Not sure why you guys think simply making an album of a different genre is "pushing boundaries"

Like what?

6 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Biggest debut since Pink =/= Biggest debut since Divide

And true my bad, biggest debut ever since 2016, not 2017. Even more impressive. Thanks for proving my point.

Cruel Summer

3 minutes ago, Yuanyu said:

Its funny, folklore 2M first week but only 2M pure after 6 months and 9 best selling album of the year behind albums like changes, and Post Malone and Harry Styles 2019 albums (info published by IFPI), these numbers don't add up

2M first week sale number is not pure sales, it's Sales Plus Streams.

And i don't know what Folklore with its 5 months sales being behind albums with whole year sales have to do with anything. 

1 minute ago, georgechxng said:

Why are you talking about Reputation?

Cruel Summer

Article please

Just now, georgechxng said:

And true my bad

No problem 

Cruel Summer

2 minutes ago, Gaia said:

You said folk/alternative not folk. 

Regardless, switching genres is not pushing a boundary. Pushing a boundary would be her singing an album like WWFAWDWG or Fame Monster. Not sure why you guys think simply making an album of a different genre is "pushing boundaries"

Like what?

An artist should have a fingerprint - therefore no one expects from Taylor to do mumble rap or Adele to sing Carly Rae Jepsen type songs. But switching it up and experimenting? that makes an artist being able to push its own boundries. And Taylor did - with songs like Epiphany . State Of Grace , Ready For It, LWYMMD, Evermore, and much more. 

11 minutes ago, dylanx said:

sure it was grandma, let's get you to bed 

OT: 

wondering if anyone will be able to open with 1M now that even Adele has failed. I am quite surprised by this, I really thought her label would push the album over 1M at all costs, but maybe the demand just isn't there. which is a shame since 30 is better than 25

How is this still going? The second week numbers thread will be a ****ing mess. :deadbanana4:

8 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

2M first week sale number is not pure sales, it's Sales Plus Streams.

And i don't know what Folklore with its 5 months sales being behind albums with whole year sales have to do with anything. 

Article please

No problem 

Cruel Summer

Obviously Taylor didn't make 500K in streaming during the first week :bibliahh:

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

Ww numbers please? 

She's on track to be the biggest UWC debut for a female artist ever since 25.

Cruel Summer

4 minutes ago, Yuanyu said:

Obviously Taylor didn't make 500K in streaming during the first week :bibliahh:

She did around 230k from US alone and roughly half of her streams were from US in Spotify.  

-------

I didn't know that people were still using UWC in 2021. I thought we moved on to better things. 

Cruel Summer

42 minutes ago, georgechxng said:

Before they reformulated the charts, you could literally buy the same album from the same account multiples times pretty much by free :coffee2: also you guys love to call BTS a fraude because of mass buying but suddenly mass buying is valid? Weird

Before they reformulated the charts, you could literally buy the same album from the same account multiples times pretty much by free also you guys love to call BTS a fraude because of mass buying but suddenly mass buying is valid? Weird

1. You know that's a lie, yeah Chinese sales are quite cheap when you do the exchange of currencies but you have to remember that the living cost is different in every country, what is cheap to us here can be costly for an average chinese citizen. 

2. Nobody would bat an eye on that BTS situation if most of their weeks at #1 weren't completely dependent on the amount of digital copies that they crowdfund, especially when their latest releases have been serving #1-#10-#50-OUT on the Streaming Charts (it's an exaggeration but you get the point). Two completely different situations because Taylor got amazing consumption in all metrics during several weeks with her latest releases.

3. I personally don't have a problem with mass buying if it is used to fill the big gap in points that radio payola creates each week.

51 minutes ago, blackbeatxx said:

you think 30 sounds like 25 or 21?

Adele has her set sound just like Celine and Mariah. You know what your gonna get. I don’t know why she ppl think that’s a bad thing. 

This thread is really completely off the rails :gaycat6:

49 minutes ago, KeshaSwift said:

Yes. How's that not understandable? most people will say the same.

I meant pushing one's own musical boundries, and I was less speaking about the transition from country to pop as to more about pop to her folklore-evermore eras. the sound and songs from these album sound NOTHING like what's on the radio, top of the charts, etc.
Hell , setting a short film to a 10 minute song and making it #1 is pushing one big boundry in the streaming era.

Right - that's all I was saying. She did change up her sound and I would consider that a risk, but I wouldn't consider that actually pushing boundaries in music. 

The last part doesn't really have anything to do with boundaries honestly :rip: Now if she had a complete album full of 7-10 minute songs (which Justin Timberlake actually did) then maybe I'd consider that to be pushing a boundary in this age of 2 minute tik tok songs.

But taking a song to #1 after it was hyped for months and went viral for being about an A-list actor, idk. Doesn't feel like any boundary was actually pushed there. I think it's an accomplishment especially that its showing signs of longevity with it being viral on tik tok - but again, that's just one song on the album that's long. Majority of the 30 songs are under 5 minutes.

Edited by Gaia

3 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

This thread is really completely off the rails :gaycat6:

Haha yeah i guess these threads will get into the ATRL hall of fame (or shame) ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.