Kate Bush - Babooshka

Bjork - Joga

Paula Abdul - Straight Up

Spotify Playlist

DEADLINE: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH NOON EST

dq5FpiO.png

M.I.A. - Bad Girls - Top 3 of her discography for me :jamming: 

Coldplay - Clocks - Very pretty song

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk - Iconic and a bop, top 3 Ru song, still my fave runway song

Alicia Keys - Fallin' - Great song/debut, Alicia seemed to have more edge in her debut era to me

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - I heard this at a wedding one time, so it reminds me of weddings now, it's nice

Alicia Keys - Diary - Was my favorite AK song at one point, like 10 years ago, love the piano

Kate Bush - Babooshka - Quirky queen, fun song, Babooshka is fun to say, love the odd choice tbh

Bjork - Joga - Another quirky queen, love the production

Paula Abdul - Straight Up - 80s pop bop, I really like this but wish Cold Hearted wasn't banned, this 2nd best Paula option though 

I don't dislike any of these songs, sorry if you're ranked low x

GwGkVeR.png?width=360&height=450

BAD GIRLS - One of the best songs of the last decade for sure. I love the middle eastern influences in the song, they're incorporated so well into this new formula that still respects the instruments but also presents it in an innovative way. Great sing

CLOCKS - not the biggest coldplay fan but I can't deny the greatness of this song. It's classic coldplay executed in the most perfect way. Their best songs like this, Yellow, Viva La Vida and others are all so great because they manage to be so easy to listen to but still transport you into a different place. It's a shame they've become more and more generic over time and that their formula is now working against them, but either way this is great x

SISSY THAT WALK - interesting choice next to these. It works very well as a runway song, and compared to these more 'professional' musical artists, this one still stands out as being enjoyable. It's just not something I'd listen to over and over, where I can see myself doing that with most of the songs in this round. It's fun, and not bad, but not my favorite x

FALLIN' - It isn't surprising that Fallin' pretty much made Keys an instant superstar. Not only is it one of the best debut songs of all time, it's also one of the best songs of the 00s. The elements of gospel throughout are perfectly executed by back up singers and by Alicia herself, with a nice and simple instrumental and enough time to showcase her vocals. It also is the absolute perfect length, quite literally a perfect song

IF I AIN'T GOT YOU - the FEELS i get from this :jonny2: A beautifully produced and written song solely by miss Keys herself :jonny5: I love a song where it just feels genuine. Like it's Alicia performing this for yourself and just letting out all her emotions as they come. Absolutely perfect

DIARY - another great song by Alicia, this one however suffers that it comes right after two of not just her best songs, but some of the best songs of all time. This one is very smooth and chill, but drags a little bit. It's great on its own right, but comparison is the real killer here sorry

BABOOSHKA - this tiktok smasha! Love how odd it is, very nice

JOGA - as I said before, I'm not the biggest bjärb. I can recognize that this is not a bad song but I just.. can't connect with it. 

STRAIGHT UP - prolly the best Paula option given the circumstances. It's a fun 80s bop with lots of drama behind it. Nice choice :heart2:

old people round

13596.png

M.I.A. - Bad Girls: oh yeah this is a mega classic, a bop.

Coldplay - Clocks: this is pretty and nostalgic, but it's boring and drags on a bit

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk: sorry I hate this :rip:

Alicia Keys - Fallin': oh this is BEAUTIFULLLL one of her best songs, a classic

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You: another beautiful classic

Alicia Keys - Diary: this one is alright, should've sent my boo instead for 3 excellent alicia songs

Kate Bush - Babooshka: this may have invented camp, I love the randomness of this

Bjork - Joga: another camp classic I fear! this song is very nice and cool

Paula Abdul - Straight Up: it's pretty fun and boppy, not the biggest fan of it but it's fun!

2AopB7c.png

M.I.A. - Bad Girls: One of her best songs :jamming: Deserved to make more waves. 

Coldplay - Clocks: Decent song. Back when they were usable. 

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk: Yeah, this is not enjoyable for me at all. 

Alicia Keys - Fallin': This benefits the most of the three from exposure. Good entry. 

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You: It's just fine. I hear this on the radio often and it's not something i'd turn off. 

Alicia Keys - Diary: Not bad but It doesn't keep my attention. 

Kate Bush - Babooshka: Sometimes her vocals are a bit much for me. I don't mind the song tho but i'm not exactly that into it either. 

Bjork - Joga: Mega classic from one of the best 90s albums. 

Paula Abdul - Straight Up: Solid dance tune. Only know of this because of j cole's work out sample. 

my thoughts, round 13

FAN2zU8VgAcc0L3?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

M.I.A. - Bad Girls - ICONIC!!!! it's such a fun bop and so much fun to sing along to. what a great choice :praise: her best song for sure.

Coldplay - Clocks - it's okay! not really something i'd look up and listen to but if i heard this on the radio/tv i wouldn't mind it at all. (way too long though, i had enough at 2 minutes or so)

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk - YASSS!!! this drag anthemmm. i love this kind of music so i definitely will be ranking high. definitely one of Ru's best songs.

Alicia Keys - Fallin' - what a classic. this song just randomly comes to my head at times and it's such a fun to sing along to as well ^^

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - i like this even more than fallin', such a beautiful song <3 wonderful lyrics and she sounds so beautiful.

Alicia Keys - Diary - i've never heard this one before, it's definitely not on the level of the other AK songs sadly. it's alright.

Kate Bush - Babooshka - it's kinda terrible for me ffff, i'd propably have fun listening to this as a joke with my bestie though.

Bjork - Joga - definitely better than i was expecting!! it's quite cool. i'm usually not into her songs but this one wasn't bad.

Paula Abdul - Straight Up - yasssss! such a fun song, definitely makes me wanna dance. a lovely choice. very hot x

V8Ggib9.pngV8Ggib9.pngV8Ggib9.pngV8Ggib9.pngV8Ggib9.pngV8Ggib9.pngV8Ggib9.png

7bdhBpN_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

M.I.A. - Bad Girls

THIS MOTHER******* SOOOOOOOOONG. I CANNOT. Everything about this song is absolute greatness idfc!!! The Middle Eastern inspired production combined with the politically charged message of the song is so powerful that even if you don’t relate to it you can’t help but ADMIRE HOW BRILLIANT IT IS. She gave the middle finger to the government, religion, patriarchy, gender roles, she just hijacked the system with this song!!!! If you can’t admit this is a good song you’re just RACIST.

Coldplay - Clocks

AHHHH, you have no idea how much I love this song!! That piano is iconic and is probably one of favorite musical moments ever, there is something extremely pretty about those piano parts that make me tear up a bit. It might be nostalgia, but it hits me!!

RuPaul - Sissy That Walk

I’m too much of a drag race fan to not bop to this song :kii6: You know you were wrong for sending this but you also know this appeals to the gays. So it’s working for me, I’m bopping. I have never heard this with headphones and the pre chorus sound really good :coma:

Alicia Keys - Fallin’

Yeah, this is the best song I’ve heard from her. I particularly really liked the second half of the song when the backing singers come in and the song gets more grand. I’m impressed because I’m only familiar with her more recent work and do not like it, but this ones was good!!!

Alicia Keys - If I Ain’t Got You

This one has a -classic- feel to it, like I understand staryu’s review about it, it does sound like a wedding song. It’s very 2000s hallmark romcom. It’s very cute and her voice shines here!

Alicia Keys - Diary

As someone who is not familiar with her work and doesn’t have nostalgia attached to any of these songs, this is the song that captured my attention the most out of the three entries of hers. I think the somber seductive nature of the production is really captivating. Her vocal melodies are not the strongest but the guitars and heavy bass are creating a setting that I really dig.

Kate Bush - Babooshka

This one is very interesting. Probably the least accessible out of the batch. I don’t think it’s bad but it does a more theatrical approach than the other songs here that makes it sound very Broadway esque which is not usually what I look for in music. I could picture this serving as part of the Aristocats soundtrack :hmm2:

Björk - Jóga

I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH. HER BEST SONG ALONG WITH UNISON. There is something extremely beautiful about this that manages to be very accesible while still being experimental and very different from a conventionally produced song. Truly ahead of its time ughhh.

Very nice song! I like the production on this one a lot because I’m a sucker for 80s pop n The chorus is very memorable and catchy. It’s a classic for sure. I know this might be controversial because women do it better but I do think J. Cole made a better job with Work Out :shy: But I still love this song!!

otpUoqu.jpg

Kavish ⛧ Kritiques 

~

M.I.A. - Bad Girls

I channel my inner Salma from Marrakech when I listen to this.  I build an army of fierce queens and wreak havoc on the patriarchy.  At sundown, Moussa meets me at the oasis.  He takes me for a ride near the valley and I entertain his company.  At sunrise, I slit his throat, take his gold, and drive away with the car.  "Leavin' boys behind 'cause it's legal just to kill", sings M.I.A. on the cassette player.  Upon my return to the camp, my girls hail me as the bandit queen, and I make this song our anthem.

Coldplay – Clocks

So grand that I feel like a particle in the Large Hadron Collider, voyaging through time and space.  I realise that I am nothing and everything.  I see the lives of people that are gone, and the death of people that are living.  Planets forming, planets ending.  When the bridge hits, I understand how frail I am and how temporary life is, but I embrace this futility with despair and relief.  When I die, I shall return to the black void.  I am the Universe.

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk

The song has an empowering message, but it sounds crafted for the niche audience that watches Rupaul's Drag Race.  The show has fans here, so I think you will be safe due to sentimental reasons. As a first-time listener however, it is audibly a generic meme song. The breakdown takes some time to get into, and the entry sticks out like a sore thumb in this playlist.

Alicia Keys – Fallin'

A 2000s staple. The song paints a picture of falling, like Lil Wayne in the "6 Foot 7 Foot" music video stumbling in slow-motion into the bathtub (which was inspired by the 2010 masterpiece Inception), uncertain of the outcome, and then the voices come together during the bridge to catch the fall.

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You

Miss. Keys highlights the power of love and drags materialistic people.  Well how dare you, Miss Keys.  Not everyone wants love.  Like your black sister Halsey said, "If I can't have love, I want power", so you better listen instead of spouting out such holier-than-thou nonsense.  Your ignorance aside, this song is a classic and you sound amazing as usual.  I picture you smiling in a white dress at the altar, while the pianist side-eyes you for your views.

Alicia Keys – Diary

This one is more on the moderate side, but I appreciate it. It feels like lying down at dusk and staring at the distant sky, daydreaming.  The setting sun's orange hue is warm and comforting on my skin.  I am in a daze, unfazed by the on-goings of my surrounding.  I am a poetry being penned by Alicia, and when she closes the diary, everything seems perfect in an imperfect world.

Kate Bush – Babooshka

As I listen to this and look in the mirror, I see Grizabella reflecting back at me.  I hop out of the window and wag my tail flirtatiously to the passerby but nobody pays attention.  When the mantric chorus kicks in, I prance onto a stranger.  "All yours, babooshka", I meow.  But the stranger throws me on the pavement and I return to my room to the voice of Kate comforting me.

Bjork – Joga

The cinematic and explorative instrumental transports me to Reynisfjara, and as I float above the black sands, I await my fate amidst the anxious tonality.  Bjork's delivery commands me to be receptive, and therefore I surrender to the elements around me.  This acceptance is liberating.  I realise that drowning will be as magnificent as getting back to the shore.

Takes me back to the 80s dance class with similar fabulous beats.  Paula the instructor keeps checking me out, but Paula doesn't know that my biker lover is waiting for me outside of the studio. As she approaches me, I homosexually run out of the room while she asks "do you love me forever, oh oh oh".  I don't reply.  I leap on the bike and tell Mike to bolt!  We can hear Paula scream "Am I caught up in a hit and run? Straight up now tell me" and we cackle at her choice of words.

~

5ebcfafbf8e29c74a8a71ba0c86cf8a8.jpg

• ATRL Moderator

M.I.A. - Bad Girls

Definitely one of her best songs! It really goes off from beginning to end. The chorus has potential to become kind of annoying but I feel like she kept it limited enough that it doesn't veer into that territory.

Coldplay - Clocks

Another discography highlight, like Bad Girls was. This song really takes you on a journey from beginning to end, with the haunting piano and melancholic vocals. Really a classic.

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk

I've never really watched RPDR so I definitely feel like I'm missing out on the nostalgic connection, like Kavish said. I found the verses to be kind of nice, but they ultimately built up to a disappointing and discordant breakdown.

Alicia Keys - Fallin'

Truly a classic - I'm not at all surprised it was sent. She really knew how to write some smash choruses back in the day.

Oh bitch, it's the serve. I adore the way the chorus of this builds. I used to perform it in the shower in case I ever had to audition for American Idol *scrihm*

Alicia Keys - Diary

A bit less instant than the other 2 Alicia songs, simply due to them being so well known. I think it was really nice though, and I will give it another few listens to make up my mind.

Kate Bush - Babooshka

This was kind of cool, but ultimately became a bit grating with the tone of her voice as the song progressed. I appreciate the quirky entry, but I don't know if this was the round of the game to send it, when you're facing some huge hits.

Bjork - Joga

Omg... I think Ellie Goulding must have taken some inspiration from this song on Halcyon tbh. The soaring and galactic adventure! Wow, the instrumental was so impressive and impactful. Not crazy about her vocals all the time, but I think it kind of added to the extraterrestrial experience.

Yup a classic. Major bop. Tried to send this while in the car omw to the concert yesterday, but it was already taken. Definitely a smart choice that will prob rank at least safe, if not higher!!

M.I.A. - Bad Girls

Not as good as Come Around, but still a bop, keeps my interest throughout the whole song!

Coldplay - Clocks

This was pretty nice, I liked a lot of parts, but I probably wouldn't listen to this on my own time though. So many old hags exist and you chose Coldplay smh!! (it's also way too long, especially the last 1:30 of nothing)

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk

Ok this is a classic....... truly a bop making you feel like that bitch, feeling like you're walking in NYFW when in reality, you're just walking down the street to work

Alicia Keys - Fallin'

Really great song, her vocals.... she really did that

This was really cute as well, a bit weaker than Fallin, but still nice!!

Alicia Keys - Diary

This was cute, it wasn't as exciting or beautiful as the others though, it was okay

Kate Bush - Babooshka

Definitely an... unexpected and interesting choice... but you know what, I stan, it was very camp and exactly what I'd expect from old hags round

Bjork - Joga

Never been a big fan of her music, sorry :(

Now this is a literal classic...

M.I.A. - Bad Girls - a fun bop :gaycatina1:

Coldplay - Clocks - cute classic :jamming: I always forget how good some of their songs are

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk - a f*cking classic :WAP: one of her best

Alicia Keys - Fallin' - beautiful classic :smitten: very sultry

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You - my favorite song by her :jonny5: so powerful and emotive

Alicia Keys - Diary - a nice chill jam :loud:

Kate Bush - Babooshka - a cute lil bop :katie2: very fun and uplifting

Bjork - Joga - enjoyed this a good bit :jamming:  some very beautiful aspects

Paula Abdul - Straight Up - cute bop :katie2:I’ve been listening to j cole’s version a lot lately

8bEfNLI.png

M.I.A. - Bad Girls: A TikTok viral banger that I listen to every now and then :katie2:

Coldplay - Clocks: It's good but not something I would personally listen to unlike many of these songs

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk: Purr miss gurl tweet the house down boots mawma slay my wig and snatch my tea hunty! I live.

Alicia Keys - Fallin': A cute classic

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You: My favorite Alicia song of this bunch :jamming:

Alicia Keys - Diary: Kinda boring :katie:

Kate Bush - Babooshka: One of her many bops :clap3:

Bjork - Joga: Stunning song, the best I've heard from her

Paula Abdul - Straight Up: A total banger, classic 80s song :katie2:

M.I.A. - Bad Girls - such a fun bop

Coldplay - Clocks - a classic, one of my fav songs 

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk - yas a bop!! Ru’s best song too 

Alicia Keys - Fallin' - amazing masterpiece whew 

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You- a classic 

Alicia Keys - Diary - black classic, one of her best songs ever 

Kate Bush - Babooshka - I like it 

Bjork - Joga - this is okay 

Paula Abdul - Straight Up - yes a bop, not my favourite here but it bops 

lh6WQVX.png

M.I.A. - Bad Girls

now this is a m.i.a. track that i can get behind! its so amazing to me how this still sounds fresh up nowadays..

and when i listen to it, its just fun and very like badass like she is :heart2: so yea, i can see this being a strong pick but we'll see

Coldplay - Clocks

help the beginning of it makes me think of when love takes over a bit :weeps: so i was like ooh, this might be better than expected

and it was going well until the bridge i think and thats where i was kinda :doc: about it and it kept being like the same throughout :weeps:

SO overall, i think it suffers from being too long and kinda just one note? :emofish:

Rupaul - Sissy That Walk

please the way i gasped when i saw this being submitted. you are lucky i like it and tbh, its actually a good song

so yea you're so brave and that i'll prob give you a high ranking x ITS FUN AND I LIKE IT SO MUCH IDC

Alicia Keys - Fallin'

ahhhhhhh A CLASSIC! yea if ur gonna send in alicia, i feel like this (and if i ain't got you and no one) is definitely a great choice

she just did that with this song and i mean everything is a slay.. whew so true aliCIA!

NOW THIS ONE. i think this is the one that makes me like her. another classic :weeps: and please, its such a sweet song

and its so emotional in some ways and i LOVE it so much. no one can change my opinions about this song!!!!! a CLASS!!!

Alicia Keys - Diary

i feel for you a bit cause the randomizer rlly did u dirty by putting 3 alicia songs right after another and yours is the last one after two classics :weeps:

this song is okay i think. i don't really revisit this a lot but its still a good song. got a bit bored towards the end tho

Kate Bush - Babooshka

i think this is cute yea.. it keeps me interested all through the song and its just fun~ will prob get overshadowed by some

but still, i had fun than i expected and its a good pick :heart2:

Bjork - Joga

this is art :heart: it might not be fully for me but its also not the worst out of the group

WOAH what an amazing way to end this group :jamming: god i love this song sooo much and its such a fun bop

like its also very addictive and everything about the song screams a major classic and i'm glad it is one and i'm ALSO glad it was sent :alexz:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.