Billboard cancels ticket and merch bundles

iHype.

Now they need to do something about streaming, it’s so weird that teenage dream sold more pure copies This week than 40% of the hot 200’s top 10 but still entered at 160 or something.. like how does a quick little stream (that can be manipulated) has more weight than someone who is welling to spend actual money on an album.. 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• argos

• Thor

• Oxygen

• iHype.

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if we will see big surges multiple weeks down the line when the physicals ship then lol

or perhaps artists having all of their physical singles ready to ship on release week 

18 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

certain bases are having meltdowns rn

Not really. They got what they wanted already...

4 minutes ago, IAMRodrigo said:

with artists including Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and 6ix9ine all recently using the tactic to boost their chart positions.

This can only be about Stuck With You x GOOBA, since they didn't adress Nicki

:skull:

I think it's who they consider lead.

1 minute ago, myles said:

I wonder if we will see big surges multiple weeks down the line when the physicals ship then lol

or perhaps artists having all of their physical singles ready to ship on release week 

My guess is some singles, they will start preparing the physical copies weeks ahead if they plan to do physical releases so they can ship the week the song is released. However, they'd obviously only be able to do a limited quantity and wouldn't be able to throw 100 different versions of bundles online as they please lol.

Although seeing as many CD singles/Vinyl singles take like 3 months to create+ship, they might just stop doing them altogether. No label wants to make physical copies of a song months ahead, it could leak easily.

13 minutes ago, Fnooky said:

Yet another rule change in the bag for Miss Germanotta, she's on fire huh :deadbanana4:

The displaced aggression.  :rip:

You should be mad at Billboard not Gaga, for specifically mentioning your fave as one of the reasons for this rule change.

CXUNOBZ.gif

2 minutes ago, gatito said:

let’s call it The Big Gaga Crack Down :clap3:Billboard said no more frauds!

We Ariana fans should sit this one out :celestial5: let's be glad Ari was able to snatch one #1 with bundles before the rule change

37 minutes ago, IAMRodrigo said:

with artists including Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and 6ix9ine all recently using the tactic to boost their chart positions.

This can only be about Stuck With You x GOOBA, since they didn't adress Nicki

:skull:

This is obviously about TROLLZ too :skull: 

In fact they are probably changing the rules after seeing TROLLZ  chart run:  1 - 34 - 54  :rip: 

30fbee96-fcd6-4353-a2e9k30.gif

The way Ariana, Gaga, Camila, Nicki, Katy, and everyone promising their fans merch/signed material in exchange for high chart position are OVER :skull: 

Just now, Genio said:

We Ariana fans should sit this one out :celestial5: let's be glad Ari was able to snatch one #1 with bundles before the rule change

:clap3:.

this post kinda came to mind :lakitu:

bmYsyUm.jpg

3 minutes ago, Genio said:

At least she was able to get 3/4 of her #1s without relying on bundles :ihype:

OT: This method makes more sense :clap3:

40 minutes ago, slw84 said:

The last two sentences, calling them to the frontline

:rip:

honestly they should have included Travis Scott:lakitu:

True

Travis started all this mess

2 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

The way Ariana, Gaga, Camila, Nicki, Katy, and everyone promising their fans merch/signed material in exchange for high chart position are OVER :skull: 

You tried to insert Gaga in there like we wouldn’t notice huh.

5 minutes ago, slw84 said:

Not really. They got what they wanted already...

I think it's who they consider lead.

Nicki is also the lead on the messy song

1 minute ago, Green said:

This is obviously about TROLLZ too :skull: 

In fact they are probably changing the rules after seeing TROLLZ  chart run:  1 - 34 - 54  :rip: 

Yeah, I know, but I think "Stuck With You x Gooba" was the final straw, since the adressed them.

11 minutes ago, gatito said:

let’s call it The Big Gaga Crack Down :clap3:Billboard said no more frauds!

with artists including Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and 6ix9ine all recently using the tactic to boost their chart positions.

So like your fellow Ari stan said, sit this one out. :)

For those confused, I'll try to clarify it a little more....

Bundles for individual songs/singles:

Previously artists would do dozens of different CD singles, Vinyl singles, and Cassette singles for a song the week it was released. They'd let fans buy them up and they wouldn't ship for 3+ months. They were counted as sales the week of because they would attach a digital copy for customers to download so it counted as a digital sale that week.

The new rules state that is no longer allowed. Songs being sold as physical product cannot count as a sale until the physical product is shipped, so if it didn't ship for 12 weeks, it wouldn't count as a sale until 12 weeks later. This largely stops first week bundles now because a label would have to prepare the physical product weeks in advance to ship it the same week, which would also put the song at risk of leaking early.

Bundles for albums:

Previously artists automatically sent links to redeem copies of albums via e-mail with ticket receipts for anyone who purchased a concert ticket. Their argument was that the price of the album was already factored into the ticket. Billboard now rules they have to have an option where the customer can buy the ticket without an album priced in, and if they want an album they have to "opt-in" and pay additional money at checkout.

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

Ariana can easily get #1s without bundles :skull: 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

You tried to insert Gaga in there like we wouldn’t notice huh.

Considering how I technically bought Chromatica this week just because it came with the BLACKPINK merch from her website, I'd say this article definitely applies to her! At least the others are being fraudulent with their own face and name plastered across their merch :foxaylove2:

2 minutes ago, Oxygen said:

Ariana can easily get #1s without bundles :skull: 

girl I stan Ari but the FACTS are that most of her releases after the thank u, next absolutely bombed and her #1s after that were #1 for a week because of bundles. In fact SWU is probably one of the weakest #1s ever right next to TROLLZ.

Edited by argos

4 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Billboard now rules they have to have an option where the customer can buy the ticket without an album priced in, and if they want an album they have to "opt-in" and pay additional money at checkout

This is the only part i don’t Understand. Why would Billboard want the customer to have a choice between buying a concert ticket & CD? Isn’t it smart to always have them together? 

2 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

Considering how I technically bought Chromatica this week just because it came with the BLACKPINK merch from her website, I'd say this article definitely applies to her! At least the others are being fraudulent with their own face and name plastered across their merch :foxaylove2:

except her name or the name of the album is featured on the tshirts :rip: go home with this cheap tired and false story. 

18 minutes ago, Genio said:

so for the Hot 100 rule, I'm not sure if I got it right. 

The digital downloads that come along with those vinyls/CDs, other merch etc. won't count as a download (for digital sales) anymore is what I'm understanding, but CDs and Vinyls will still count even if they get shipped/manufactured weeks later? 

I mean CDs and Vinyls for singles should definitely count, it's still another way of music consumption.

I understood it, but I also understood they explained it will only count when the cd single/vynil be shipped. They will not count anymore in the week it starts to be sold, just when they ship it to consurmers.

Organic hits from now on ONLY! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.