Diversity 2 | WINNER: Janelle Monáe (Dessy)

luckystrike

17 minutes ago, Touch It said:

as u should!

fanks luv

resize.png

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckystrike

• thecptz

• Dessy

• PinkBox

OVERprotected WJOTY

15 minutes ago, Clueless said:

So basically y'all just think my taste in music is "basic" and "dated" right?

:monkey:

1 hour ago, Overprotected said:

MARINA: This isn’t the Marina I expected

4EnkxFq.jpg

Spoiler

Let's See What the Night Can Do  Well it's peak wedding song isn't it? I don't want to say it is awfully basic, because there are a few moments inbetween that have some nice emotion to them. But the whole ordeal falls a little bit flat just because how saturated the industry is with these feel-good, faceless AC radio songs.

Golden Hour    Now this is a sweet, dreamy moment from Ms. Musgraves! The lyrics are straightforward but it's her voice, full of emotion, as well as the airy atmosphere of the guitars and the background vocalists that make this what it is.
Tattooed Heart    She sounds as divine as can be, but there's... quite a bit against its favor. The production makes it this overtly-saccharine, school stage number that it does not need to be. It dates the song unnecessarily. However, the sweeping strings come at full force, and restore some needed balance (too little too late tho). I'm mixed!
Sanctuary    I applaud you for taking a risk with one of her more unique album tracks. You have the trip-hop sensibilities that are definitely trendy for the time, interpolated with ominous Whitman quotes that give it an unnerving quality. There's not a lot of lines that directly talk about love, but the theme of desire is omnipresent. I love that take on the theme.
The Colour of My Love    We love a big ballad moment from Ms. Queen of Canada!
Drunk on Love    One of her essentials. Another track that does lean more towards an edgy, dark side of love, which I don't think we got enough of in the round overall. It's girtty but kept simple, the latter as happens in many Rih album tracks pre-Anti.
Hummingbird Heartbeat    This deserved to be a single tbqh. You can make an argument that it's merely a rethread of the album's title track, but idc idc. Cut from the same cloth, but takes the teen pop sound to a fresh place. And the virginity line is iconic.
When Your Eyes Say It    Who else was scared at those opening vocals? This is a very dated album track and it shows.
The Louvre    Beautiful on its own, beautifully on theme. It unravels like a rose from the outer layers of sexual ecstasy and the rush of love, to the innermost ones that reveal that she knows this summer fling won't last and show insecurities, too.
Get on Your Knees    This is an unexpected choice! But it's the better song featuring Ariana's vocals, don't @ me.
U&ME♡    A little repetitive and noisy, but still cute. At the same time though, I feel like I won't remember it by the time the results come.
Whenever You Remember    This feels like the female version of Jason Mraz's song, in a way. It's a chore to get through. You can easily pinpoint that it was released mid 2000s.
Can't Live without Your Love    Do I come to Janelle specifically for this type of song? No. But it's got catchy melodies, easy lyrics and nice vocals, so I appreciate it, still.
Banana Clip    This swept me off my feet. It's just this little vignette of hopefulness, and a love that trascends hardships and obstacles and whatnot- yet it's personal and avoids the pitfalls and clichés these types of songs can fall into. Even his little laugh is so pure omg.
Enchanted    An accurate portrait of why people fell in love with her songwriting and craft in the first place.
Falling in Love Tonight    A hot mess! Overstuffed but undercooked. I did throw a higher score just because the outro is sweet.
Love Song    A no-brainer. Jack Antonoff just can't lose this round, can he?
Die for You    Accesible yet keeps the motifs and musical identity that gives emotions to Abel's music. I dig the production a lot.
Basic    Well the tile says it all. However I generally think the safe, playlist-ready pop from Sigrid generally works far better than it should.
About Love    This is the best Love + Fear song.
Lionheart    Demetria showed vocals, but as for the song itself, it's a weird mix of Christmas, wedding bells and an attempt at forcing an arena-ready anthem. Not sure how much I think the end result works.
There You Are    It's a little middle-of-the-road. It tries to be memorable and grand but he doesn't pull it off that well.
Everlasting Love    This is a very cute bop! It has a bit of a 00s sound to it but doesn't sound dated.
Make Up Your Mind    Simple and straightforward but pleasant to the ears. It feels like it'd be great in a live band setting. And some of the imagery in the lyrics is amazing.
Obsessed    It's sappy and a bit harsh on the vocal aspect. But I appreciate it a bit.
Hypnotised    Delicate, and I dig that, but it doesn't really go anywhere with the passion that Mr. Olly describes. Lovely vocals beautiful vocals nonetheless.
Feels Like Vegas    Mixtape-nashe is always appreciated.
Nobody but You    Chill and it doesn't try to be more than what it is: a nice, clean B-side.
Perfect Love    A bop!
The Greatest    I like a deep cut to choose from Ellie, but I feel like this doesn't hit the mark completely. Like I'm a fan of the chanting moment, but I feel the production could go off a little more. A decent Delirium cut.
Slow Dance    I like this! The sound is definitely not for everybody in the old-ballady style but for me it works in a kinda nostalgic way.
The Thing About Love    It's a decent, if a tad meandering, ballad. Feels longer than four minutes and not in the best way.

but it's not a song from Lov- whatever, I'll take it

dnYwFkS.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.