Diversity 2 | WINNER: Janelle Monáe (Dessy)

luckystrike

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckystrike

• thecptz

• Dessy

• PinkBox

z954Y7m.png

Spoiler

Jason Mraz: This is very cute. Lyrics definitely fit the theme and it sounds very romantic. A good start to this round!

Kacey Musgraves: This is a very nice song and the lyrics are romantic. I guess my slight critique is the production sounds a bit more like a relaxing summer song as opposed to a love song?  Still a good choice though.

Ariana Grande: Oh wow this is an excellent choice. Sounds exactly like an oldies romantic love song and the lyrics are adorable. It's also just a beautiful song.

Madonna: Hmm... I feel like Madonna has a lot of other love songs that would have been better for this round? The lyrics are cute but the production feels kinda strange to call this a "love song".

Celine Dion: Ok maybe Ms. Canadian Excellence snapped here. These lyrics are beautiful and it sounds like a classic love song that would be played at a wedding or on an intimate Valentine's Day.

Rihanna: So I LOVE this song and think it's one of the most underrated songs in Rih's discography... but I feel like this is more of a song about her lust and the difficulties of love as opposed to a love song that would be fit for Valentine's Day.

Katy Perry: This was always one of my faves from Teenage Dream. Anyways, the lyrics def fit the theme, and even though the production is louder and more upbeat, it still has a cute feel to it that makes it mostly sound like a love song.

Britney Spears: Okay these constant speaking/whispering parts are not it, but when it comes to actually fitting the theme, this is a good choice. Lyrics are romantic and it sounds like a love song (albeit a bit of a basic one).

Lorde: Beautiful, talented, acclaimed, iconic, best song on Melodrama. But my subjective love of this song aside, I also think it's a great choice for the round. The lyrics capture the feelings of young and new love very well. While it doesn't sound "traditionally" romantic, the ethereal production matches the "optimistic young love" theme well.

Nicki Minaj: dkjfhsdjfk not a song about oral. I know this round was hard for Nicki so I appreciate you trying to send it something at least sort of relevant, but um... I wouldn't exactly call this a love song :rip: I enjoyed the song though!

Hyuna: These are really cute lyrics and they fit the theme well. The production is kind of just generic K-Pop, but also generic K-Pop sounds lovey and romantic, so I guess that's a good thing for this round. So a strong choice overall!

Carrie Underwood: It's a very cute song and it definitely sounds romantic. The lyrics being in the past tense kind of takes away from it feeling like a love song though because it feels more like a post-breakup song instead.

Alicia Keys: Oh wow this is a beautiful song. There's a few moments in the lyrics when it stops feeling like a love song and almost feels like more of an empowerment song, but other than those few minutes, this is a very strong choice.

Janelle Monae: The lyrics are extremely appropriate for the theme and there's a lot of elements of a love song in here. Something about the production/vocal mixing on this song is kind of taking me out of it though? Like I'm not feeling the emotion as much as I should be.

Miguel: There's moments where this feels and sounds a lot like a love song, and then there's moments where it doesn't feel or sound like one at all. This one's kind of a mixed bag for me.

Taylor Swift: Lyrics are sweet and lovey, and it definitely sounds like a love song, so it fits the theme well overall. My only minor critique I guess is that it sometimes feels more like a song about a crush and wanting someone than it does a full love song. But definitely still a good choice!

Fantasia: This is a cute song and there's definitely lots of references to love/romance. The production feels a bit bland though, it doesn't really contribute to the emotion of love.

Lana Del Rey: Wow this is such a beautiful song. The lyrics capture the vulnerability and innocence of love very well, and the production creates the emotion very well. Excellent choice.

The Weeknd: The song definitely captures what it's like to love someone, but it often doesn't feel like a true "love song" since the lyrics allude to some dysfunction and negative feelings in this relationship as well. It almost talks about love in a cynical/frustrated way.

Sigrid: Cute, the very first song I submitted for VL! Anyways, the production of this song captures the rush and excitement of love really well. There's some moments in the lyrics where it feels more like a song about figuring out a relationship than a proper love song, but overall this is a strong choice.

MARINA: The lyrics are PERFECT for the theme. While the electronic-heavy production might be untraditional for a love song, I think it matches the flurry of feelings that she's experiencing well. Excellent!  

Demi Lovato: So there's times where this really feels like a love song, but the production and a lot of the lyrics sometimes create a feeling of empowerment as opposed to romantic love. It's still a pretty good choice though.

ZAYN: Hmm... so obviously the song is talking about a lover, but it's hard to say this feels like a love song because the lyrics can just generally apply to anyone supportive in one's life, and the production doesn't really capture a feeling of love or romance for me. 

Fifth Harmony: Okay, so this is actually one of my least favourite 5H songs... but that being said, this is a perfect choice for this round. The song feels like it's straight out of the era of peak R&B love songs from the 90s/early 2000s, and the lyrics are clearly focused on romantic love.

Florence + The Machine: Ok, so while I really like this song and album, this is NOT a love song :rip:This is very clearly a song about a relationship about to end, and there's very little feeling of actual love anywhere in this song.

Miley Cyrus: Great choice for this round. Lyrics are classic love song, sounds like a classic love song. Only small critique is the production can sometimes get a bit uncomfortably loud/noisy which takes away from the emotion a bit.

Years & Years: This is a really pretty song that represents the beauty of love well. Sometimes the lyrics feel a bit too overly abstract and metaphorical which takes out some of the emotion for me, but overall this is a strong submission.

Tinashe: A lot of the lyrics and the main hook of the song gives this more of a feeling of a sex/lust song than a true love song. I'm not really getting much emotion or feelings of love from this.

Girls Aloud: Lyrics fit the theme well and it sort of has the mood of a love song, but the production isn't giving me much emotion. It's a cute choice and does what the round asked, but isn't really giving me anything beyond that.

LOONA: The lyrics are simple but they fit the theme perfectly, so that's definitely not a bad thing. Like I said for Hyuna, this feels like ordinary K-Pop, but since ordinary K-Pop sounds lovey and cute, that works for this round, so this is a strong choice.

Ellie Goulding: nnn not one of the songs from Delirium I always skip... But my subjective feelings for the song aside, this is a decent choice. It's a cute song that captures the optimism of love well and the lyrics are sweet. I just wish the production made me feel something more, it's kind of just... there.

Kelly Clarkson: The production is very nice and it definitely sounds like a classic love song. Lyrics also fit quite well, although there's the odd line that makes it feel like this isn't really about true love (like the "I'm not going home with you tonight" line). But overall this is a very strong choice!

• ATRL Moderator

Too bad she retired to be a TV host the second she stopped making adult contemporary music.

Drag the clown :giraffe:

wait I didn’t see Astro’s critiques :jonny2: loving the quickness of this panel

yes astronomy yes taste :clap3: [2]

1 hour ago, Astronomy said:

love this song, I stan.

Astro BJOTY!!!!!!!

dnYwFkS.gif 

otWiUWs.png

Spoiler

CRITIQUES

Jason Mraz: This was okay, I enjoyed the lyrics and I think they fit the theme very well, although the song itself was a little bit basic I wasn’t THAT bored at all, so congrats on that 

Kacey Musgraves: Very glad you changed your entry, this works way better than your initial one in my opinion, it feels much more romantic to me. The lyrics work very well, maybe they feel a bit short to me? But they’re very lovey and so is the song as a whole 

Ariana Grande: It’s a very cute song, I think the production is what gives it that love ish feel, the lyrics are cute and fitting too and this definitely feels like a Valentine’s Day song to me 

Madonna: Well honestly I didn’t enjoy this that much, I felt like it kind of went nowhere and I was not a fan of the production, the lyrics are just okay, they fit but I don’t feel like they were good enough you know? I didn’t hate this but it was just not memorable to me 

Celine Dion: I was pleasantly surprised, I enjoyed this a lot, the lyrics are great and although the production is very simple it’s beautiful and fits with the song perfectly, I honestly had never listened to a Celine song other than MHWGO and I’m very pleased with this, yup 

Rihanna: Well I can’t deny this was a bop and while it’s about love I don’t feel like it was very fitting for the Valentine’s Day occasion unfortunately, I don’t really get a romantic vibe from it but it wasn’t that far off

Katy Perry: This is one of her best songs ever probably, the lyrics are cute and it’s a major bop, was it the best choice for this round? Not to me, but still a slay 

Britney Spears: This was okay, the song is quite simple but the lyrics are nice and it was overall cute, a bit boring after a while though

Lorde: Ahhhhh I was praying you’d send this, this is a serve, the lyrics are so cute and fit so well and it’s so dreamy and lovey and it makes me want to be in love so bad, exactly what we were looking for this round 

Nicki Minaj: I mean to me it’s not super fitting but chile that’s probably the closest you could get to a Valentine’s Day love song, it wasn’t even that far off tbh, but yeah obviously not a strong one 

HyunA: This was cute! Of course I can’t understand sh*t but the translation is cute, and the song was a bop, it’s very fun and I think it fits well 

Carrie Underwood: Oh wow this was very beautiful I really enjoyed it, it feels very heartfelt, the lyrics are great and overall it was a great song

Alicia Keys: Okay so to my understanding it’s about love but not in a romantic way, it feels more empowering to me instead of a love song, the song itself was just okay, nothing special to me. I don’t think this was a very good choice to be honest

Janelle Monae: Ehhhhh I got bored honestly, it fits but I just couldn’t get into it

Miguel: Okay work! This was a cute bop, the lyrics are fine although I don’t understand some of the expressions used :deadbanana: but it was okay

Taylor Swift: So you had LOTS of options to choose from, this was a good choice in my opinion, the best one? Maybe not, but this song is very cute, it’s very romantic although one of my main issues with it is that it’s too long :rip: but I think it fits well and it’s good overall 

Fantasia: This was cute, of course it fits and overall it’s not a bad song, I got a little bit bored towards the end but I still bopped to it

Lana Del Rey: This is so hauntingly beautiful and the perfect choice for this round, the title itself says so. One of my favorites of the round

The Weeknd: A great choice! Very fitting and it’s pretty good song, the melody on the chorus is so catchy

Sigrid: As I mentioned in Vanishing Letters I have history with this song so I’m gonna be as unbiased as I can :katycry: I really love this and even though it’s more like early stages of love I think it works very well 

Marina: The lyrics fit very well and it’s a pure love song perfect for Valentine’s Day but I personally didn’t like the song, I don’t like the production but I mean it works :wendy3:

Demi Lovato: It felt very ethereal, the lyrics definitely fit and I really enjoyed this choice, the production kinda feels like a wedding song to me, so that was great

Zayn: I liked it, it was a good song overall and it fit the theme, kind of average kii but it was okay!

Fifth Harmony: Okay this bop! I enjoyed this, and it is also very fitting, I loved the vibe and it’s a fun romantic song

Florence + the Machine: Well this..... I don’t think it fits the theme at all, it’s more about the end of a relationship I think, which is sad cause I really liked the song

Miley Cyrus: Oh wow oh wow this was actually a very good choice! I love the lyrics and it truly feels like something you’d dedicate to someone in Valentine’s Day, and overall it’s a very good song too

Years & Years: This production is so haunting, I really love the vibe of the song, it feels dark to me but at the same time very on point with the theme, it’s hauntingly beautiful and I love the way he sings it, very good choice

Tinashe: Ehhh it’s an okay song but it feels more party song/sex song, it’s not super fitting and the song is just okay, nothing too special to me

Girls Aloud: This was okay, the lyrics are fitting but the song felt a little average, nothing about it stood out to me 

LOONA: Cute lyrics, definitely very fitting and it’s a typical fun kpop song, and it feels loveish, so good choice overall

Ellie Goulding: I feel like you had better choices, it’s an okay love song, the lyrics aren’t as strong as some others and the production isn’t too special which makes the song overall kind of average

Kelly Clarkson: This production was a slay, it feels so flirty and the lyrics are of course very fitting, it has a very sultry vibe but still very romantic thanks to the lyrics

3 good reviews, hopefully a top 10 placement but I'm being optimistic

edit: whew 4, didn't see Astronomy's review

LNtojhK.gif

Edited by K$Ellie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.