All Time Hot 100 Songwriters

Ash12345

9 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

So just three more songwriters left. I think many of you guys can guess who they are at this point but can you guess the order?

1. McCartney

2. Diane Warren

3. Babyface

Would be my guess.

Anyway thanks for all the hard work. This was so interesting to read.

Hope Taylor can get even higher in the years to come, but she's already among the legends :jonny:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

Surprised by Max Martin, I didn’t expect that. 
‘It was obvious R-Kelly would be this high, I used to follow his career pretty closely and knew all the songs he wrote for others. There’s also always this underlying message of « people judge me but God is by my side » like in his last written songs for Whitney and Michael. 

There’s a pretty good chance that Paul McCartney is #1, The Beatles have 21 #1s on the hot song and he had a longer career than John Lennon (for obvious reasons) and scored 2 or 3 additional #1. 
I expect that Babyface would be #2 as his work with Boys II Men and Toni Braxton was really successful. 
I’m not that familiar with Warren. 

I didn't know warren had so many #1s as I mostly know her for all her oscar noms; per Wiki, Because You Loved Me, Blame it on the Rain, Have You Ever, I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, Look Away, Love Will Lead You Back, Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, Unbreak My Heart, When I See You Smile; all last century

3. Paul McCartney

rs-paul-mccartney-v1-32277153-6d17-4ee4-

Sir James Paul McCartney was born on the 8th of June 1962 as a son of a nurse and cotton salesman in Liverpool. Always having a knack for music, his dad gave him a trumpet on his 14th birthday, but he switched to guitar so he could sing while playing instruments. As a young guitarist, the naturally left-handed McCartney thought the only way to play to guitar was to do so using your right hand. After struggling to play with his less-dominant hand, McCartney came across a poster of American musician Slim Whitman and noticed that he played guitar with his left hand. Inspired by Whitman, McCartney restrung his guitar and was finally able to play in a more comfortable manner. In 1957, a 15-year-old McCartney attended a social at St. James’ Church in the Liverpool suburb of Woolton. It was at this social where McCartney would encounter an upstart rock and roll band called The Quarrymen, whose members included a young John Lennon. The Quarrymen would later invite McCartney to join their act. They would soon be joined by George Harrison and eventually morphed into a little-known band called The Beatles. The Beatles became the highest selling musical act of all time and they broke many chart records that still stand today.

Whereas other songwriting partnerships had one person focus on lyrics and the other focus on composition, Lennon and McCartney each contributed to both. Initially, they closely worked together on their songs from start to finish. Later, the songs would be written primarily by one or the other, but still with at least some contributions from both, and they maintained an agreement to share songwriting credits on all the songs that came out of their partnership. After The Beatles broke up in 1970, McCartney experienced a great deal of success with his bang, Wings, and as a solo artist. Paul McCartney still holds the record for the most #1 hits in the US and UK in his overall career. He has written or co-written 32 songs that have reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, such as “Yesterday”, “Let It Be” and “Hey Jude”. He is the only artist to reach the UK number one as a soloist ("Pipes of Peace"), duo ("Ebony and Ivory" with Wonder), trio ("Mull of Kintyre", Wings), quartet ("She Loves You", the Beatles), quintet ("Get Back", the Beatles with Billy Preston) and as part of a musical ensemble for charity (Ferry Aid).

written by Dibbles and Ash12345

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

670m - FourFiveSeconds (Rihanna, Kanye West & Paul McCartney)

332m - Come Together (The Beatles)

312m - Let It Be (The Beatles)

303m - Hey Jude (The Beatles)

244m - Yesterday (The Beatles)

Table of Points

PpfLSkS.jpg
riMAii4.jpg
aIz8RJm.jpg
NRayZ7v.jpg
zMQQUsb.jpg
9Fcb2Mv.jpg
Pn1VgtS.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz @idkwiam @BnPac

Wow, I thought he would be #1. I wonder who are the 2 left. 

2. Kenneth Edmonds (Babyface)

Babyface reveals he and his family tested positive for coronavirus ...

Babyface's music career began as a teenager in his home-town of Indianapolis, making R&B music as a member of various groups with his high school friend Daryl Simmons. Then, in the early 80s, Babyface and Daryl Simmons joined Columbus based R&B group The Deele, which included L.A. Reid as one of its members, and they had a few minor hits on the R&B and Bubbling Under charts. In the late 80s, he became one of the leading forces behind New Jack Swing, and began having several hits with songs he wrote for other R&B artists, starting with "I'd Still Say Yes" (#18 in 1987) by Klymaxx. That was followed by his first Top 10 hit as a songwriter, "Rock Steady" by The Whispers (#7 in 1987), a #10 hit with The Deele with "Two Occasions" and several hits written for Karyn White and Bobby Brown, as well as a couple hits for his own solo career such as #7 "It's Not Crime" and #6 "Whip Appeal". After having eighteen Top 10 hits as a songwriter, he got his first #1 hit with "I'm Your Baby Tonight", Whitney Houston's first foray into R&B. By this point, Babyface had founded LaFace Records with L.A. Reid and based out of Atlanta, where they were soon joined by Simmons. The three of them wrote and produced a great number of hits together, and launched the career of many of the most successful 90s R&B artists including TLC, Toni Braxton and Usher. They also wrote and produced "End of the Road" by Boyz II Men, which achieved a record breaking 13 weeks at #1 in 1992. Although "I Will Always Love You" broke that record soon after, Babyface tied it's 14 week run at #1 in 1994 with his first solo-written #1, "I'll Make Love To You", also with Boyz II Men.

That was followed by many more high-profile works for Babyface, which lead to him winning Producer of the Year for three consecutive years at the Grammys, from 1995 to 1997. During this period, he contributed to Madonna's #1 hit "Take A Bow", and the "Waiting To Exhale" soundtrack, where he wrote songs performed by artists such as Whitney Houston, Mary J. Blige, Brandy, Faith Evans and Patti LaBelle, including Whitney's #1 hit "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)". In the 00s, he had hits with LaFace signee P!nk's "Most Girls", and got a songwriting credit on "We Belong Together" which references The Deele's "Two Occasions". In the 2010s, he co-wrote and co-produced Beyoncé's "Best Thing I Never Had" from "4" as well as bonus track "Dreaming". He also helped launch Ariana Grande's career by co-writing and co-producing many of her debut album's best songs, such as "Honeymoon Avenue", "Baby I" and "Tattooed Heart". His most recent hits are Michael Jackson's "Slave To The Rhythm", which was a reject from the "Dangerous" sessions and "Try" by Colbie Caillat, which was one of several songs he produced and co-wrote on her album "Gypsy Heart", and he also got songwriter entries thanks to samples of Johnny Gill's "My, My, My" on both Cashmere Cat's "Adore" and Lil Mosey's "Blueberry Faygo". Babyface comfortably holds the record for most #1 hits on the R&B charts as a songwriter. 

338m - Blueberry Faygo (Lil Mosey)

239m - We Belong Together (Mariah Carey)

229m - Best Thing I Never Had (Beyoncé)

142m - End of the Road (Boyz II Men)

139m - Try (Colbie Caillat)

Table of Points

D8OtSa1.jpg
sK9BSWb.jpg
3d7c22Q.jpg
O4QTmZe.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz @idkwiam @BnPac

Paul McCartney and Babyface :clap3: 

Those amount of hits for both :eek: :worship:

Does this mean Diane Warren is #1? :eek: 

Interesting. He has a lot of diversity + his songs do surprisingly well on the US charts.

1. Diane Warren

Diane-Warren-press-photo-cr-Rochelle-Brodin-2018-billboard-1548-1024x677.jpg

Diane Warren began writing music when she was a teenager, her mother didn't believe it was a good career choice but her father encouraged her. He bought her a 12-string guitar and a metal shed for her to practice and took her to music auditions. Her first hit was Laura Branigan's #7 hit, "Solitaire", in 1983. Following her first songwriter #1, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship, in 1987, she wrote a slew of hits in the late 80s and 90s, with particularly great success on the Adult Contemporary charts. Across her career, Diane Warren wrote thousands of songs and she is the first songwriter in the history of Billboard magazine to have seven hits, all by different artists, on the singles chart at the same time. Warren has had nine of her compositions hit #1 in the US Billboard Hot 100, all by different artists, and over 30 of her songs have hit the U.S. top ten. She became a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2001 and has written music that has been featured in more than 100 movies.

She has won a Grammy Award, an Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award, three consecutive Billboard Music Awards for Songwriter of the Year, and has been nominated for eleven Academy Awards, but has never won. In addition, she is notable for maintaining control over her own creations: since 1986, her songs have been published and promoted by her own RealSongs company. Billboard named RealSongs one of the top five music publishing companies of the US, and it has been called "the most successful female–owned and operated business in the music industry". Her biggest chart hits are "How Do I Live" and "Un-Break My Heart", which are #5 and #13 on Billboard's All-Time Hot 100 charts.

466m - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing (Aerosmith)

193m - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (Starship)

168m - Because You Loved Me (Céline Dion)

124m - Un-Break My Heart (Toni Braxton)

119m - If I Could Turn Back Time (Cher)

Table of Points

pHi7ns5.jpg
YeMGCsm.jpg
8esOYNN.jpg
jNfZtKy.jpg

Edited by Ash12345

Holy shirt balls, the nearly 10,000 point difference between #3 & #2 and then #2 & #1

I really didn't expect Diane to be even top 10.

This thread was great, thanks for the work :heart:

And I don't see Til It Happens To You in there. It charted for some weeks and may push the points to 90k.

Edited by Cherry123

15 minutes ago, Cherry123 said:

And I don't see Til It Happens To You in there. It charted for some weeks and may push the points to 90k.

Fixed. It only added 3 points to her total though since all it did was spend one week at #95 and the points are split with Lady Gaga.

Shakira

You Can Copy One Of Shakira's Super Bowl Looks

664m - Chantaje (Shakira feat. Maluma)

601m - Hips Don't Lie (Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean)

433m - La Bicicleta (Shakira & Carlos Vives)

315m - Waka Waka This Time For Africa (Shakira feat. Freshlyground)

279m - Me Enamore (Shakira)

Table of Points

gkx0Kbh.jpg

@Pedro this is Shakira's points

1 hour ago, Ash12345 said:

1. Diane Warren

Diane-Warren-press-photo-cr-Rochelle-Brodin-2018-billboard-1548-1024x677.jpg

Diane Warren began writing music when she was a teenager, her mother didn't believe it was a good career choice but her father encouraged her. He bought her a 12-string guitar and a metal shed for her to practice and took her to music auditions. Her first hit was Laura Branigan's #7 hit, "Solitaire", in 1983. Following her first songwriter #1, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship, in 1987, she wrote a slew of hits in the late 80s and 90s, with particularly great success on the Adult Contemporary charts. Across her career, Diane Warren wrote thousands of songs and she is the first songwriter in the history of Billboard magazine to have seven hits, all by different artists, on the singles chart at the same time. Warren has had nine of her compositions hit #1 in the US Billboard Hot 100, all by different artists, and over 30 of her songs have hit the U.S. top ten. She became a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2001 and has written music that has been featured in more than 100 movies.

She has won a Grammy Award, an Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award, three consecutive Billboard Music Awards for Songwriter of the Year, and has been nominated for eleven Academy Awards, but has never won. In addition, she is notable for maintaining control over her own creations: since 1986, her songs have been published and promoted by her own RealSongs company. Billboard named RealSongs one of the top five music publishing companies of the US, and it has been called "the most successful female–owned and operated business in the music industry". Her biggest chart hits are "How Do I Live" and "Un-Break My Heart", which are #5 and #13 on Billboard's All-Time Hot 100 charts.

466m - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing (Aerosmith)

193m - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (Starship)

168m - Because You Loved Me (Céline Dion)

124m - Un-Break My Heart (Toni Braxton)

119m - If I Could Turn Back Time (Cher)

Table of Points

pHi7ns5.jpg
YeMGCsm.jpg
8esOYNN.jpg
jNfZtKy.jpg

What a legend. Her Cher songs are so ****ing amazing. Thank you so much for this list.

Diane Warren and Babyface :clap3:

Edited by makeme

38 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Shakira

You Can Copy One Of Shakira's Super Bowl Looks

664m - Chantaje (Shakira feat. Maluma)

601m - Hips Don't Lie (Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean)

433m - La Bicicleta (Shakira & Carlos Vives)

315m - Waka Waka This Time For Africa (Shakira feat. Freshlyground)

279m - Me Enamore (Shakira)

Table of Points

gkx0Kbh.jpg

@Pedro this is Shakira's points

Thanks sweetie!

Thank you for all your hard work! It was great participating in this.

I assumed Diane would be Top 5, but I’m pleasantly surprised to see her at #1. :clap3:

Thank you @Ash12345 for all of your hard work, this has been legit one of my favorite all time threads on ATRL. :heart2:

Walter Afanasieff

Walter Afanasieff - Co-Writing "All I Want For Christmas Is You"

844m - All I Want For Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey)

81m - One Sweet Day (Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men)

43m - My All (Mariah Carey)

22m - She Bangs (Ricky Martin)

11m - Anytime You Need A Friend (Mariah Carey) 

Table of Points

WFnr0LN.jpg

@1DES

Julia Michaels

02-b9-Julia-Michaels-bb1-predictions-201

1311m - Sorry (Justin Bieber)

869m - Issues (Julia Michaels)

518m - Friends (Justin Bieber feat. BloodPop)

512m - Good For You (Selena Gomez)

500m - Hands To Myself (Selena Gomez)

Table of Points

YjdwraO.jpg

@Michael196  @trainsskyscrapers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.