Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

32 minutes ago, BtDecember said:

Why Ed has to ruin everything

Taylor a GENIUS confirmedT

Well Ed is only at #65, so we can say she's the youngest in the top 50. Taylor had only been legally allowed to drink for a few months by the time she had as many points as he does now. 

taylor swift queen of popular music whats new!

2 hours ago, Ramirodri said:

bob dylan 60th?

Outside of the 1,372 covers of Make You Feel My Love, Dylan’s music isn’t very commercial friendly.

King Lennon :clap3:

And Paul is coming!

6. Prince

prince-favorite-color-not-purple.jpg

Born in Minneapolis to musician parents, Prince developed a keen interest in music as a young child, and was encouraged to pursue it by his father. He got a record deal with Warner when he was 19, and except for a co-writing credit on the lead single, "Soft And Wet", created his entire debut album ("For You") himself, from production, to song-writing, to arrangements, to playing all 27 of the instruments. His first few albums experienced only moderate commercial success, "Soft And Wet" reached #92 on the Hot 100, and "I Wanna Be Your Lover" from his self-titled second album reached #11, but they were nonetheless important for developing his artistry, which included a fusion of pop, R&B, funk and new-wave and sexual lyrics. In 1981, he formed a band called The Time, a side-project that released four albums in the 1980s with several hits. In 1983, he released his fifth album, "1999", which was the start of Prince as a major figure in pop-culture, and included the hits "Little Red Corvette", "1999" and "Delirious". In 1984, he starred in the film "Purple Rain", inspired by his own life, and for which he created a highly successful soundtrack. It had several major hits including the title track, and his first two #1s, "When Doves Cry" and "Let's Go Crazy".

Prince released several more successful albums in the late 80s, which included hits such as "Raspberry Beret", "Kiss", "U Got The Look" and "Sign o' the Times". Around this time, he also wrote several hits for other artists including "The Glamorous Life" for Sheila E., "I Feel For You" for Chaka Khan, "Sugar Walls" for Sheena Easton and "Manic Monday" for The Bangles. In 1989, he worked on Madonna's "Like A Prayer", co-writing "Love Song" and playing electric guitar on several songs including the title track, and also made the soundtrack for the first Batman film. In the early 90s, he got into a dispute with his label Warner Bros, which he felt didn't promote his 1992 album "Love Symbol" properly, and which wouldn't allow him to release music as frequently as he wanted to, so he stopped using the name "Prince", and released four albums in three years so that he could fulfill his record contract and move on as quickly as possible. By the time he was free of his contract in 1996, he was past his peak, but nonetheless continued releasing albums on a regular basis. "Musicology" was the most successful album of this period, released in 2004, it was certified 2x Platinum by RIAA. In 2007, he headlined the Super Bowl Half-Time show, which was viewed by 140 million people and is considered by many to be the best ever Half-Time performances. With his death in 2016, Prince is remembered for many things including his unique singing style, being a talented multi-instrumentalist, and pioneering the Minneapolis sound.

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

199m - Purple Rain (Prince)

188m - Kiss (Prince)

123m - Nothing Compares 2 U (Sinead O'Connor)

93m - When Doves Cry (Prince)

85m - Manic Monday (The Bangles)

Table of Points

zqJd4R9.jpg
fKiboAh.jpg
WlmxMUY.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz @idkwiam @BnPac

My name sake. Such a talent. Very unconventional til the very end. 

Man Stevie wrote classics on classics. I sometimes forget he sang certain songs originally because he's been sampled so much. Same with Prince. 

Taylor being a legendf and just being thirty. 

Her career is far from being close to an end, what a legend :clap3:

Prince!!!! Just incredible. 

Spoiler

5. Robert Kelly

r_kelly_cook_county.jpg

The success that made him the most commercially successful R&B artist of his generation is also a big part of what allowed him to get away with committing sex crimes against minors for decades. 

433m - Ignition Remix (R. Kelly)

157m - Don't Matter (Akon)

100m - Bump, Bump, Bump (B2K feat. P. Diddy)

94m - Bump n' Grind (R. Kelly)

67m - I Believe I Can Fly (R. Kelly)

Table of Points

xLO5sF5.jpg
r9x4agj.jpg
o16ec0O.jpg
W17Wp1w.jpg

Not trying to bring your work down but not including Shakia in a songwriter countdown? Really?

:dies: It just takes all the possible credibility of this list.

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Not trying to bring your work down but not including Shakia in a songwriter countdown? Really?

:dies: It just takes all the possible credibility of this list.

Donde Estan Los Ladrones is one of my favorite albums of the 90s but the reason Shakira isn't on the list is that this a ranking based on Hot 100 performance of the songwriters' compositions.

1 hour ago, Ash12345 said:

Donde Estan Los Ladrones is one of my favorite albums of the 90s but the reason Shakira isn't on the list is that this a ranking based on Hot 100 performance of the songwriters' compositions.

Fair enough, especially taking in consideration how xenophobic the US is.

4. Max Martin

Max-Martin.jpg?fit=2500,1406&ssl=1

The songwriter-producer behind much of the biggest pop hits of the century, Max Martin got his start in music in high school, where he joined metal band "It's Alive" in 1985. They eventually got signed by Denniz Pop, and although the band only experienced minor success, it lead to Denniz Pop taking Max under his wing working on pop songs. Those included "Wish You Were Here" by Rednexx and Ace of Base hits such as "Beautiful Life" and "Lucky Love". Max only had producer credits on those, but he got his first songwriter hits soon after when he helped break the Backstreet Boys, co-writing and co-producing their first Hot 100 hit, "We've Got It Goin' On" (#69) and their first major hit "Quit Playing Games" (#2). As he continued working on major hits for the Backstreet Boys such as "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" and "I Want It That Way", he also helped launch Britney Spears' career, with "...Baby One More Time", his first (and only) solo written smash hit. This first period of success in his career, as part of Dennis Pop's Cheiron studios included many more hits for Britney Spears, NSYNC, Robyn and Westlife, such as "Oops!... I Did It Again" and "It's Gonna Be Me". After Dennis Pop's death and Cheiron's closure, Max Martin put together a team and founded a studio of his own, which included a teenage Shellback. His studio's first major success was Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone", in collaboration with Dr. Luke, which lead to them working on many other successful pop-rock albums, including The Veronicas' debut album and P!nk's "I'm Not Dead".

Max Martin then became the biggest force behind the wave of upbeat pop hits in the late 00s and early 10s. He worked on Katy Perry's first two smash hits, "I Kissed A Girl" and "Hot N Cold", as well as most of the hits from her following two albums. He also co-wrote major hits for Avril Lavigne, Usher, Jessie J, Taio Cruz, Ellie Goulding, Adele, Demi Lovato, Justin Timberlake, Kesha, Maroon 5, and helped guide Taylor Swift's shift to pop music by contributing to her first fully pop hits. He then helped take Ariana Grande's career to new heights, working on most of the hits from "My Everything", "Dangerous Woman" and "Sweetener", and worked on several major hits with The Weeknd in the mid to late 2010s. Part of how Max Martin keeps his music fresh is by bringing in other songwriters and producers into his team, and in addition to Shellback and Dr. Luke, he has also collaborated extensively with Savan Kotecha, Ilya, Ali Payami, Bonnie McKee, Rami Yacoub, Oscar Holter and more, many of which have had impressive careers in their own right. His success can also be attributed to an emphasis on hooks, melody and phonetics. Two and a half decades after his first hits, Max Martin continues to have success as a producer and songwriter, with his most recent hits being "Stupid Love", "Blinding Lights" and "I Don't Care". All in all, he is tied with Beatles producer George Martin for the most Hot 100 #1s as a producer, and behind only John Lennon and Paul McCartney for most #1s as a songwriter.

1101m - I Don't Care (Ed Sheeran feat. Justin Bieber)

1087m - Can't Stop The Feeling! (Justin Timberlake)

1025m - Can't Feel My Face (The Weeknd)

993m - Blinding Lights (The Weeknd)

934m - Side To Side (Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj)

Table of Points

1XupTO9.jpg
c9WsO0M.jpg
qL1hxof.jpg
BAkIbZc.jpg
jTrXInE.jpg
M2MZ3Ih.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz @idkwiam @BnPac

Edited by Ash12345

I didn't know R. Kelly was so big :deadbanana2:

I never realized Baby One More Time was solely written, that makes it so much more impressive. 

7 hours ago, Ash12345 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

5. Robert Kelly

r_kelly_cook_county.jpg

The success that made him the most commercially successful R&B artist of his generation is also a big part of what allowed him to get away with committing sex crimes against minors for decades. 

Table of Points

xLO5sF5.jpg
r9x4agj.jpg
o16ec0O.jpg
W17Wp1w.jpg

R Kelly wrote some amazing songs despite what he did.

7 minutes ago, Mezik said:

I never realized Baby One More Time was solely written, that makes it so much more impressive. 

He talks a bit about writing BOMT here.

So just three more songwriters left. I think many of you guys can guess who they are at this point but can you guess the order?

8 hours ago, Ash12345 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

5. Robert Kelly

r_kelly_cook_county.jpg

Table of Points

xLO5sF5.jpg
r9x4agj.jpg
o16ec0O.jpg
W17Wp1w.jpg

Damn, i forgotten how much [redacted] has written for other people

On 6/2/2020 at 12:51 AM, Ash12345 said:

6. Prince

prince-favorite-color-not-purple.jpg

So much incredible music, a missed talent 

1 hour ago, Ash12345 said:

He talks a bit about writing BOMT here.

So just three more songwriters left. I think many of you guys can guess who they are at this point but can you guess the order?

Just post them please 

omg r kelly's stats :deadbanana4:

Taylegend making it into the top 10 tho :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.