Billboard Charts (April 2-8, 2017)

iHype.

Frank Ocean is the face of modern RnB I'm sorry :rip:

Genres change over time. Rock of the 70s isn't rock of today. RnB of the 90s isn't the RnB of today.

TWIL is a pop song first. It has nearly no aspects of modern RnB - just listen to Blonde, A Seat at the Table, Future, or Drunk for an idea of where modern RnB is

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• dussymob

• FutureHive

• GokuRed

Just now, ChartsFan said:

The problem with that is, you are declaring anything old that was r&b as not r&b. Or rocko R whatever.

music changes. It blurs lines of genres, genres don't change.

I will agree that many people, abuse the use of the terms and the current perception is that "modern" r&b will be called r&b.  But that doesn't make it so. It's only a simple perception catch all phrase. 

We see this from two totally diff perspectives - safe to say that neither of our views will  change and that's okay - genres are just classifications we made up anyways :michael: 

11 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

The problem with that is, you are declaring anything old that was r&b as not r&b. Or rocko R whatever.

music changes. It blurs lines of genres, genres don't change.

I will agree that many people, abuse the use of the terms and the current perception is that "modern" r&b will be called r&b.  But that doesn't make it so. It's only a simple perception catch all phrase. 

That's why we have subgenres.

R&B has diversified over the years. What was simply R&B 40 years ago is now called traditional R&B.

Btw, I do think TWIL is an R&B song. :cm:

Edited by Cz!

Not me causing a whole 2.5 pages of mess lmao. TWIL is most certainly R&B, just like the whole album.

y'all been fighting about the genre of a song for 3 pages 

b0q49.gif

27 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

y'all been fighting about the genre of a song for 3 pages 

b0q49.gif

ikr, I think thats enough 

b0q49.gif

Edited by Mr. Adele

29 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

But the hundred page pop girl sidetracks that often happen are okay? But three pages is too much.... Okay...

Link me to the last time that happened in a billboard thread 

Iggy went from having a #1 song to not even make the Hot 100. :skull: 

How is Nelly Furtado's album doing 

10 hours ago, FutureHive said:

u think it gives bruno credibility if he is called rnb?

Nope, he's always had credibility in the music industry but since it's Bruno then you can't call it R&B, lets say Chris Brown released the same song, everybody would call it R&B without any hesitation, I mean songs by jason derulo are being classified r&b when they are clearly pop. I don't see anyone arguing why I feel it coming is being considered R&B more than it's pop and lets face it That's what I like is more R&B than I feel it coming is.  

Edited by IVY

1 minute ago, IVY said:

Nope, he's always had credibility in the music industry but since it's Bruno then you can't call it R&B, lets say Chris Brown released the same song, everybody would call it R&B without any hesitation, I mean songs by jason derulo are being classified r&b when they are clearly pop. I don't see anyone arguing why I feel it coming is being considered R&B more than it's pop and lets face it That's what I like is more than R&B than I feel it coming.  

R&B

POP

Who tf cares if its r&b or not

what is this talk about Urban and RnB being same? :rip: 

Would a song like IWALY be urban? :deadbanana2: 

12 hours ago, Auris said:

Sure, Jan.

Let's just forget what R&B sounds like (Frank Ocean, Temptations, Dramatics, dvsn, Robin Thicke, Babyface, R. Kelly, etc.)

Can you just shut up, the song is 90s R&B sound. Leave it at that. You're annoying now. 

Not y'all spending your energy debating the actual genre of That's What I Like rather than discussing the possible chance for that song to dethrone Ed's spot at the top :rip:

I thought I entered SYG after a music awards nomination press release for a second.

tumblr_nwlpdbNbHX1swazh0o10_250.gif

came in here to ask if harry might debut at #1

what is this messy conversation :skull:

2 minutes ago, 666 said:

came in here to ask if harry might debut at #1

what is this messy conversation :skull:

I would like to wait for first day Spotify and radio numbers... #1 debut seems unlikely to me still, but sales are certainly crazy so far

Just now, simmnfierzig said:

I would like to wait for first day Spotify and radio numbers... #1 debut seems unlikely to me still, but sales are certainly crazy so far

yeah i'm only asking because i just looked at kworb :rip: it's gonna be interesting to see how radio treats this single

9 hours ago, Slim Shady said:

How is Nelly Furtado's album doing 

VJqzeut.png

I predict a #1 debut

Even though Im clueless about the formulations

giphy.gif

Curious to see how much this video blows up the song