YouTube Views: What Happened?

Pop Art

Spotify. People don't care about videos anymore. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pop Art

• -brian

• Aquamarine

• tiagol88

2 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

Payola moved from youtube to other streaming plaforms. 

Katy did some shady stuff with her Bon Appetit video a few months ago (remember when it was the 2nd or 3rd most watched for a day in 2019?) but overall, record companies aren't really into youtube as much right now.

If that was possible, why didn't they do the same to help NRO views? ? and why would they randomly increase BA views out of all her music videos?

3 hours ago, Oh My Gaga said:

Spotify is bigger right now so labels are investing in that, but why did Billboard lower YouTube's weight on the Hot 100 in the first place? :celestial5:

YouTube are paying the least per stream of the major music streaming services, so Billboard were under pressure from the artists and labels to change the weightings.

hmm, top english language videos 2019

7 rings 538

senorita 499

bad guy 483

dancing with a stranger 417

old town road 377+286

break up 278

please me 258

me! 257

bury a friend 239

i don't care 238

2018 videos, during 2018

Girls Like You 1557

God's Plan 912

I Like It 778

Bebe 515

No Tears 695

Sad! 626

Taste 508

Fefe 566

Finesse 530

Psycho 471

gosh. but yeah, of the t10 each of these years, i only felt the need to rewatch the vids by my faves taylor & camila...

It's kinda sad I feel videos are such an important part of music and to see it decline in importance is kinda sad... 

Tbh those big ass views seemed really weird to me 

Like remember when 100M was a lot and a billion was damn near impossible if u weren’t Baby or Gangnam Style? 

Then a few years later it seemed like sizable hits were just ****ting them out. Now I know why I guess .

I think it's because YouTube has been forcing the audience to watch too many advertisements since YouTube Premium. People are tired of them!

6 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

YouTube are paying the least per stream of the major music streaming services, so Billboard were under pressure from the artists and labels to change the weightings.

Oh, that makes sense, thanks. :celestial5:

That previous algorithm or whatever they had was extremely fake and manipulated.... these videos getting to 1-2-3B views was always a huge mess. 

7 hours ago, DoubleRainbow! said:

If that was possible, why didn't they do the same to help NRO views? ? and why would they randomly increase BA views out of all her music videos?

Because it's not Katy's team, it's Youtube's algorithm doing weird stuff :rip:  But the BA thing was clearly a glitch, youtube algorithm is constantly pushing that song, maybe it has something to do with ads and stuff. 

5 hours ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

Like remember when 100M was a lot and a billion was damn near impossible if u weren’t Baby or Gangnam Style? 

Then a few years later it seemed like sizable hits were just ****ting them out. Now I know why I guess .

Despacito views :deadbanana2:

6 hours ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

because youtube exploded in third world countries

I was using Youtube for music in the past few years, but starting from last year, I start listening music on Spotify, Youtube is more like to watch entertainment video for me at this point.

I remember a lot people used to listen music through youtube with their phones screens turned off and nowadays everyone uses apple music or Spotify. yt lose a lot of its power and somehow it's showing off

15 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

Payola moved from youtube to other streaming plaforms. 

Katy did some shady stuff with her Bon Appetit video a few months ago (remember when it was the 2nd or 3rd most watched for a day in 2019?) but overall, record companies aren't really into youtube as much right now.

yeah katy payola’d her 2017 single instead of her recent ones

worms for brains

11 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

7 rings 538

senorita 499

bad guy 483

old town road 377+286

break up 278

please me 258

me! 257

bury a friend 239

i don't care 238

2018 videos, during 2018

Girls Like You 1557

God's Plan 912

I Like It 778

Bebe 515

No Tears 695

Sad! 626

Taste 508

Fefe 566

Finesse 530

Psycho 471

gosh. but yeah, of the t10 each of these years, i only felt the need to rewatch the vids by my faves taylor & camila...

Señorita is coming for billion views. So proud of Camila. She has gone so far. :clap3:

Latin America is not using English music at all since 2017, the last huge English smash on LAT was Shape of you (Señorita is doing pretty well now tho)

Look at the Spotify or YouTube charts for Latin American countries and you will see how local the market is right now

bascially what everyone here has said. I dont even watch videos anymore unless its my old faves. 

where is the data that youtube views are decreasing? does anyone have a source? lot of anecdotal evidence here..... 

seems to me like videos are getting to a billion views faster than ever 

Edited by -brian

14 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

7 rings 538

senorita 499

bad guy 483

old town road 377+286

break up 278

please me 258

me! 257

bury a friend 239

i don't care 238

2018 videos, during 2018

Girls Like You 1557

God's Plan 912

I Like It 778

Bebe 515

No Tears 695

Sad! 626

Taste 508

Fefe 566

Finesse 530

Psycho 471

why are you only using english songs? 

i sense some implications only latin americans are listening to spanish music and the anglosphere english

bad bunny and ozuna got more youtube views in the united states the last 12 months than ariana, even with her two albums :skull: j balvin and anuel also pulled in nearly a billion views each the last 12 months. these are cardi b, drake, bruno mars numbers here. nothing to ignore. 

youtube is still huge. people are just listening to a bigger variety of music. 

18 hours ago, PurpleQueen said:

It's kinda sad I feel videos are such an important part of music and to see it decline in importance is kinda sad... 

Well, music used to not have videos and then MTV came around... and it's back to that again. 

8 hours ago, theweekend said:

I remember a lot people used to listen music through youtube with their phones screens turned off and nowadays everyone uses apple music or Spotify. yt lose a lot of its power and somehow it's showing off

This. Youtube used to have a monopoly on where people played music outside of music they bought. Now they don't.

4 hours ago, -brian said:

youtube is still huge. people are just listening to a bigger variety of music. 

Youtube is still giant in Latin America, sure, but the question is why it's not as big in the West as it used to be. 

34 minutes ago, kellysclarkson said:

Youtube is still giant in Latin America, sure, but the question is why it's not as big in the West as it used to be. 

did you just.. ignore my entire post 

why are you saying youtube is only giant in latin america?? latin americans aren't the only ones watching these videos :skull: billions of views for these latin american artists are coming from the USA and you’re all just ignoring that.. :skull: 

Edited by -brian

okay, let's examine US Youtube last week:

1-10 100% english

11-20 70% english

21-30 80% english

31-40 90% english

So 85% english. Given how weak English-language songs are on the global T40 Youtube, it's obvious that it's not the US driving Youtube

Edited by fridayteenage

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.