US Airplay Discussion

Kworb

14 minutes ago, iHype. said:

I posted this in SYG, but it's likely really not payola. :rip: The drop is obviously unheard of, but it's obvious she was pushed to #1 because she announced she was performing at iHeartRadio's Jingle Ball, not because she used payola.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-18_at_7.42.55_PM.png

October 9th, her second wind begins:

Screen_Shot_2017-10-18_at_7.43.06_PM.png

October 10th, it's announced she's headlining iHeartRadio's tour:

Screen_Shot_2017-10-18_at_7.43.37_PM.png

It's industry politics. Radio pushed her to #1 as a favor since she's the biggest artist in the world currently releasing music, and it's a big deal she performs for them and boosts the success of their Jingle Ball Tour. 

What would she even get out of payola'ing her song to #1 for a few days on Pop Radio? The song already reached #1 on Hot 100, and the 3 biggest singles artist of this decade: Bruno, Katy, and Rihanna also failed to reach #1 on Pop Radio with their last lead singles. It's not a big deal to miss #1 on Pop Radio granted the song is still a big hit overall which it was. Nobody cares about the Pop radio chart.

Mine also missed #1 on Pop Radio, Speak Now did 1 million. WANEGBT also missed #1 on Pop Radio, Red opened with 1 million. Her fanbase is also still going to rush to buy her album whether her song is spammed or not, so it would literally be a waste of money for them to worry about payola. 

And plus, it was said a year or two back that many artists don't even like performing at iHeartRadio festivals, but do so because they don't want radio to develop politics and refuse to play their upcoming singles for denying performances. iHeartRadio is obviously known to have their politics and bias with those who support them and those who don't.

Taylor getting radio bias to push her to #1 is more of a compliment of her starpower, then a drag really. 

But stop taking the tangent, iHype. What we REALLY want to know is why are they dropping the song so colossally? :huh: I mean, Radio has bias for Taylor, but can't, in that order of ideas, keep the song at #1 for even 2 weeks? Why are they dropping it like it's hot and boiling?

Edited by DELE2125

• Replies 37.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ger

• Raphy23

• FAN

• Starkboy

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DELE2125 said:

But stop taking the tangent, iHype. What we REALLY want to know is why are they dropping the song so colossally? :huh: I mean, Radio has bias for Taylor, but can't, in that order of ideas, keep the song at #1 for even 2 weeks? Why are they dropping it like it's hot and boiling?

There's no convincing explanation for it really, not even the call-out scores

4 minutes ago, DELE2125 said:

Because it was pushed to #1 solely in return for her performing at the Jingle Ball. :rip: It's not an "organic" #1, but it's not payola from her team either.

I mean, Radio has bias for Taylor, but can't, in that order of ideas, keep the song at #1 for even 2 weeks?

Why would they continually be biased towards that one song for weeks on end, when instead, they'll also support her following singles, which will then end up with her continuing to also work with iHeartRadio again throughout the era.

Just now, iHype. said:

Because it was pushed to #1 solely in return for her performing at the Jingle Ball. :rip: It's not an "organic" #1, but it's not payola from her team either.

Why would they continually be biased towards that one song for weeks on end, when instead, they'll also support her following singles. 

I don't see any singles. Where are they? Why isn't RFI taking off either? Are they making room a week or 2 earlier for her next single?

iHype.

3 minutes ago, DELE2125 said:

I don't see any singles. Where are they? Why isn't RFI taking off either? Are they making room a week or 2 earlier for her next single?

iHype.

I'm talking about her upcoming singles yet to be released. LWYMMD was already peaking and had bad call out scores, so it wouldn't make sense to give it life for a long period. Push it to #1, then be biased to her upcoming singles. The song isn't that liked by the radio audience which is why the bias/politics can only take it so far.

Does anyone know where I can find that video of that Audrey girl explaining how much Payola costs? I posted the thread a while ago but can't find it...

6 minutes ago, Timber said:

Does anyone know where I can find that video of that Audrey girl explaining how much Payola costs? I posted the thread a while ago but can't find it...

I'm think she was referring to Sirius XM, which has moreso obvious payola and isn't even counted for radio charts. 

Sirius XM spams unknown artists like ATRL legend Manika, who also paid for YouTube views, social media followers, and a Tyga feature since she has a rich scam artist dad. It's very obvious anyone can pay them. 

However actual radio that counts for charts cannot be easily manipulated like Audrey was saying. If that was the case then there'd be plenty of unknown rich artists who'd just splash onto charts like Manika.

Payola is really exaggerated on ATRL in general.

13 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Some of the stations posted in the screenshot here are not even iHeartMedia owned stations :rip:

For example KEGY-FM (San Diego) is owned by CBS radio, a competitor.

Did they participate in this "favour" too? :toofunny2::toofunny2: 

1 hour ago, Mediabase said:

22528705_10155189489113282_2820578345618

30 minutes ago, Fruity said:

Some of the stations posted in the screenshot here are not even iHeartMedia owned stations :rip:

They also stopped playing Shape of You completely this week out of nowhere, which has broken the record for longevity at top 10 on radio and been on top rotation basically everywhere since it's release.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-18_at_8.49.08_PM.png

Taylor and Ed are both headlining iHeartRadio.

It might be a reach, but once again, it seems like industry/radio politics. 

All those other stations listed in the pic are iHeartRadio. But iHeartRadio stations boost stopping, along with CBS stations removing it from top rotation due to her working with iHeartRadio could also be a reason why her drop is so unprecedented. But ofcourse, there's nothing to support that far of a conclusion.

3 hours ago, Mediabase said:

Oh my god... You remember the crazy increases for Taylor on the big daddy stations like Z100 and KIIS last week when out of nowhere it jumped from barely being played to super heavy rotation at no1?

Let's see what happened after Sunday. These are the last 2 days on KIIS, Monday and Tuesday. It went from no1 to being completely removed! Down to ZERO spins. This is the craziest thing I have ever seen. Both KIIS and Z100 sent it from the 20s and 30s to no1 for just 7 days and then dropped it on Sunday night! Z100 is still playing it a little bit but KIIS completely dropped it. Not even 1 spin since Sunday night. It's like they could not wait to get rid of it completely after being forced to shove it down people's throat for 7 days! What in the actual f*ck?

22538857_10155189372568282_2949823087109

:dies:

19 minutes ago, iHype. said:

All those other stations listed are iHeartRadio. But iHeartRadio stations boost stopping, along with CBS stations removing it from top rotation due to her working with iHeartRadio could also be a reason why her drop is so unprecedented. 

You might be right I guess. At the end of the day there is clearly a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Wait until Sunday-Monday when we will have the WHOLE week to compare to the previous week. Now we just have a few days so the drops do not appear that impressing. On Sunday you will see 120 spins to ZERO on some stations with "-120" under the "move" section. From being at no1 to completely out of the entire playlist.

It will be of epic proportions.

Those of you who look at Allaccess, keep in mind it still includes days from the previous week since it is a 7day chart. As this week progresses, the drops will become more and more jaw dropping on the 7day rolling playlists of the stations.

Edited by Mediabase

1 minute ago, Mediabase said:

Wait until Sunday-Monday when we will have the WHOLE week to compare to the previous week. Now we just have a few days so the drops do not appear that impressing. On Sunday you will see 120 spins to ZERO on some stations with -120 under the "move" section.

It will be of epic proportions.

music to my ears 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Fruity said:

You might be right I guess. At the end of the day there is clearly a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Yeah none of us know what goes on truly, but payola is illegal and people involved can be fined millions.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1408962/sony-bmg-agrees-to-10m-payola-settlement

One of the nation's biggest music companies, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, agreed Monday to pay $10 million and to stop paying radio station employees to feature its artists to settle an investigation by New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. 

The agreement resulted from Spitzer's investigation of suspected "pay for play" practices in the music industry.

Why would her label go as far as to illegal practices that result in million dollar fines to push a song that already is a #1 hit on Hot 100, for an artist who is already hugely successful? 

ATRL in thinks anything non-ordinary (or, organic) is payola in general. There's a lot of stuff that goes down behind doors that isn't payola, but moreso politics and bias. 

And her having a new wind on radio the exact time she announces iHeartRadio performances definitely is not a coincidence to me. And personal experience from someone who listens to iHeartRadio stations in my city, they tend to play artists more when they work with them. For example, last week I heard this girl Grace Vanderhal's new single like three times and everytime before it played they announced she was performing at some iHeartRadio event. 

KIIS FM - Los Angeles (Owned by iHeartMedia)

Biggest Spin Decreases

Monday through Wednesday 6:45pm West Coast time compared to the same time frame last week.

22550084_10155189762063282_4381552922792

It is only Wednesday evening. Can you imagine how this is gonna look by the weekend? I am DEAD.

Edited by Mediabase

Call it how you want but it's really shady how radio can manipulate charts like that. Going from that huge updates to literally 0 spins after reaching #1 on Pop radio?

KEGY - SAN DIEGO (Owned by CBS)

Biggest Spin Decreases

Monday through Wednesday 7:02pm West Coast time compared to the same time frame last week.

22550144_10155189783638282_4167280506767

It's definitely payola but ofc the blind stans will defend it. Color me surprised. 

1 hour ago, iHype. said:

They also stopped playing Shape of You completely this week out of nowhere, which has broken the record for longevity at top 10 on radio and been on top rotation basically everywhere since it's release.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-18_at_8.49.08_PM.png

Taylor and Ed are both headlining iHeartRadio.

All those other stations listed in the pic are iHeartRadio. But iHeartRadio stations boost stopping, along with CBS stations removing it from top rotation due to her working with iHeartRadio could also be a reason why her drop is so unprecedented. But ofcourse, there's nothing to support that far of a conclusion.

Taylor and Ed being caught up in some radio drama :shakeno: 

I don't think you guys are ready for tomorrow's update... This is today so far...

22519947_10155189973353282_7028603558107

I have NO WORDS.

It's not just iHeartmedia dropping it. CBS, Entercom, Cox, Alpha Media, Cumulus. All companies. This was the most coordinated, extensive and precise payola I have ever seen. The timing and its reach was so well planned. The explosion started on Monday, the first day of the chart and ended Sunday night along with the tracking week of the pop airplay chart.

Edited by Mediabase

1 hour ago, Green said:

Call it how you want but it's really shady how radio can manipulate charts like that. Going from that huge updates to literally 0 spins after reaching #1 on Pop radio?

Billboard shouldn't count radio :shakeno:

25 minutes ago, Mediabase said:

I don't think you guys are ready for tomorrow's update... This is today so far...

22519947_10155189973353282_7028603558107

I have NO WORDS.

It's not just iHeartmedia dropping it. CBS, Entercom, Cox, Alpha Media, Cumulus. All companies. This was the most coordinated, extensive and precise payola I have ever seen. The timing and its reach was so well planned. The explosion started on Monday, the first day of the chart and ended Sunday night along with the tracking week of the pop airplay chart.

:rip::dies:

• ATRL Moderator

When do we get the new updates?

810b524a79bb1611fb59c358564600e1.png

There's a "rumor" going around that her next single is dropping next week, but it can also be as soon as tomorrow. Republic probably pulled LWYMMD from its weekly radio newsletter. The bad callout last week obviously doesn't help either.

3 hours ago, Fruity said:

She also announced last week that she will be headlining B96 Jingle Bash and 99.7 Now Poptopia, which are CBS stations. I don't think it's iHeart/CBS politics since she will do two christmas shows for both corporations. The Ed drop is really weird tho :deadbanana2:

Get ready for an INSANELY NEGATIVE update tomorrow. Even -700 to -750 is possible at this point based on today's real time numbers so far.

5 hours ago, Fruity said:

Ummm? Hundreds of songs are polarising :deadbanana3: That doesn't make this dodgy radio performance any less unprecedented and transparent.

And hundreds of songs have gotten surged to #1 after looking like they’ve peaked and purged when the next one is imminent. Soooo? It’d be different if the song actually bombed but it didn’t.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.