H100: God's Plan 6x #1, Psycho #2, The Middle #11

Renan90

19 minutes ago, Mastamaind said:

So you're saying that acts that have fans that bought tickets from their same era twice don't have any merit? Katy Perry had a huge era with 'PRISM' and that's just her previous era, the 'Witness' (which I do dig btw) era has struggled to sell tickets hence the big discounts. Are you also invalidating the taste of adults/older people?

Are you implying that the same person that liked them in the 80s somehow has their taste expired and the fact that they still like them now is invalid? What difference does it have with younger acts that also do bundles? Do you think all of your faves could pull enough ticket sales from the same era to send their album to #1? Having some hits 30 years ago doesn't guarantee you will sell tickets now.

People, actual people, like them now. They're a bit older, but they like them in the present, enough to buy their tickets which are way more expensive than an album. Are they nostalgia humans? Their taste is less valid than a 19-year-old? Tons of acts get sales off their name, young and old, not everyone that has big 1st-week album sales already listened to the single/singles already released from the album. The popularity and legacy that Bon Jovi built happened to last more than 30 years, you sure have faves that haven't even got to 5 much less 10. Let's see if they get there.

Seriously, fix the ageism, you'll loathe yourself when you get to their age. You'll think your existence is just nostalgia.

You're putting words into my mouth completely. :skull:

Are you implying that the same person that liked them in the 80s somehow has their taste expired and the fact that they still like them now is invalid? 

I'm saying them going to the concert has nothing to do with the popularity of the album bundled in as a bonus for the purchase. Just like if Lady Gaga sells a t-shirt on her site, and bundles each purchase with a copy of her perfume, that doesn't speak to how relevant her perfume is in 2018. It's just a thrown in bonus with a purchase of something completely separate. 

Similar to if you turn it around: if you buy a CD, and each copy includes a tour ticket and the tour is marked as sold out and the tickets are included in the ticket sales that is ridiculous. Buying the CD and having interest in the tour are two different things.

The same stance I have towards if a young act uses bundles. The point of the post was that bundles don't contribute to how relevant an album is currently. That is especially the case when someone like Bon Jovi has 98% of their tour gross from people who fell in love with songs not included on their current album, and their current album played little to no role in the person deciding to attend the tour.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dussymob

• QueenofCopyPaste

• simmnfierzig

• Enoch

1 hour ago, iHype. said:

You're putting words into my mouth completely. :skull:

I'm saying them going to the concert has nothing to do with the popularity of the album bundled in as a bonus for the purchase. Just like if Lady Gaga sells a t-shirt on her site, and bundles each purchase with a copy of her perfume, that doesn't speak to how relevant her perfume is in 2018. It's just a thrown in bonus with a purchase of something completely separate. 

Similar to if you turn it around: if you buy a CD, and each copy includes a tour ticket and the tour is marked as sold out and the tickets are included in the ticket sales that is ridiculous. Buying the CD and having interest in the tour are two different things.

The same stance I have towards if a young act uses bundles. The point of the post was that bundles don't contribute to how relevant an album is currently. That is especially the case when someone like Bon Jovi gets 98% of their tour gross from people who fell in love with songs not included on their current album.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm rationalizing how "nostalgia act" is a pejorative term given that you're using it in the same tone as the people that are trying to discredit Bon Jovi's sales. The album price was included in the ticket price, it wasn't just thown in, and only the people who took the time to redeem the album were counted for the sales number. They also had to fill a form to get it. 120 000 people filled a form to get their current album. There are acts that debuted recently that don't even get to that number, streams included, and they still go #1.

Also, you don't compare a tour ticket with a t-shirt or a perfume since they can go way higher in price and also for a concert, you have get ready, go out, use transportation, spend time in line, then experience it which is about 2 hours in which you will listen to their current music. Some people even travel cities and go afterparty, that's way more effort and interest than geting a t-shirt/perfume. A tour is closely related to the music. Also I doubt an album with a ticket-included would be popular since the price of an album would allow mainly for small venue tickets or the general price of places in the back of a bigger one.

First-week sales are more indicative of an act's relevancy as a whole. No one's saying they're having hits left and right but it's absurd to believe they're not a current act. Especially when 120k people went through a process to get their latest material within the tracking week.

By the way, the lead single ('This House Is Not for Sale') went #10 in Adult Contemporary and #25 in Hot Rock Songs so that's a type of hit and it's not like people weren't checking for the new music.

Edited by Mastamaind

Love Lies :weeps: 

On 2018/3/5 at 5:23 AM, Renan90 said:

#99 Make Me Feel (NEW)

Legend WON. :clap3:

make me feel is coming :duca:

3 hours ago, Mastamaind said:

First-week sales are more indicative of an act's relevancy as a whole. No one's saying they're having hits left and right but it's absurd to believe they're not a current act. Especially when 120k people went through a process to get their latest material within the tracking week.

By the way, the lead single ('This House Is Not for Sale') went #10 in Adult Contemporary and #25 in Hot Rock Songs so that's a type of hit and it's not like people weren't checking for the new music.

Um no it's not? This isn't the social 50 or whatever that's called. It's the billboard 200.

7 minutes ago, Rawr said:

Um no it's not? This isn't the social 50 or whatever that's called. It's the billboard 200.

Relevancy as in having an active audience.

10 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

It still this tracking week and next tracking week to get below 80m as I initially stated, no it won’t be below fifty million at that point, but I already stead I initially said 80m and people laughed st me so I put out the outrageous 50m.

im still on track.

Oh so you’re just changing your argument every week until you’re right. Gotcha :fan: 

Nothing wrong with the term “nostalgia act”, lol. 

It’s just referred to as “legacy act” by the industry, though. 

Nothing wrong with the term “nostalgia act”, lol. 

It’s just referred to as “legacy act” by the industry, though. 

14 hours ago, Fruity said:

It’s bitching for the sake of the integrity of the chart... Something you bitch about every other week with about 18 stuck-in-the-past posts about streaming that nobody wants to read, but here we are!

Yagga

7 hours ago, Mastamaind said:

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm rationalizing how "nostalgia act" is a pejorative term given that you're using it in the same tone as the people that are trying to discredit Bon Jovi's sales. The album price was included in the ticket price, it wasn't just thown in, and only the people who took the time to redeem the album were counted for the sales number. They also had to fill a form to get it. 120 000 people filled a form to get their current album. There are acts that debuted recently that don't even get to that number, streams included, and they still go #1.

Also, you don't compare a tour ticket with a t-shirt or a perfume since they can go way higher in price and also for a concert, you have get ready, go out, use transportation, spend time in line, then experience it which is about 2 hours in which you will listen to their current music. Some people even travel cities and go afterparty, that's way more effort and interest than geting a t-shirt/perfume. A tour is closely related to the music. Also I doubt an album with a ticket-included would be popular since the price of an album would allow mainly for small venue tickets or the general price of places in the back of a bigger one.

That is a fallacy tbqh. The price of the album was not included. 

Getting the album is completely optional. If the consumer paid for the album then legally, every single person who bought a ticket would be required to receive the album. Receiving something is not “optional” if you actually paid for it. 

If I go to a store and spend $25 on jeans, it is not optional they give me the jeans. 

Which is is why they shouldn’t count. A bonus item that wasn’t actually paid for itself. 

They aren’t a current act, if you view that as a bad thing that is on you. Their peak was over 30 years ago, they haven’t charted on Hot 100 this decade, haven’t received any certifications for their music this decade, and their current music is not relevant when it isn’t being given away. 

Will this be the See You Again/LWYMMD for God's Plan? ??‍♂️

53 minutes ago, Sinister said:

Will this be the See You Again/LWYMMD for God's Plan? ??‍♂️

All his latest singles have flopped tho 

36 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Nah. It was already in the middle of a tracking week week when I said two weeks for under 80 million.

Nah. That don’t matter to what I asked sis. :soda: 

1 hour ago, legendofthetour said:

Anything could happen 

18 hours ago, Fruity said:

It’s bitching for the sake of the integrity of the chart... Something you bitch about every other week with about 18 stuck-in-the-past posts about streaming that nobody wants to read, but here we are!

:deadbanana4:

2 hours ago, legendofthetour said:

Swalla was a hit

50 minutes ago, Enoch said:

Swalla was a hit

In the US it sold well given its peak, but I wouldn't call it a hit.

Also, the world cup songs really don't tend to have much of an impact in the US.  Look at Waka Waka for reference.

2 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

So a 29 peaking song isn’t a hit...

lets just ditch the Hot 100 and do a Hot 3...

I don't know, I mean I guess I'd consider it a mild hit.  Call me old fashioned but top 20 and above I would think as a hit.  It DID manage to hit #20 on the pop format but so has Tell Me You Love Me and I wouldn't consider that a hit, either.  

25 minutes ago, TOASTY said:

I don't know, I mean I guess I'd consider it a mild hit.  Call me old fashioned but top 20 and above I would think as a hit.  It DID manage to hit #20 on the pop format but so has Tell Me You Love Me and I wouldn't consider that a hit, either.  

I mean I do understand your point

it had a higher peak in every other country and was one of the most streamed songs of 2017

all 3 acts have had hits in the US, so it not being bigger here is a bit wild

QueenofCopyPaste

Early Predictions from PulseMusicBoards

1.God's Plan 736 (7th week at #1)

2.Psycho 368 (=)

3.Perfect 356 (=)

4.Finesse 328 (=)

5.Meant To Be 286 (+2)

6.Look Alive 280 (=)

7.Havana 274 (-2)

8.The Middle 265 (+3)

9.Pray For Me 264 (=)

10.All The Stars 236 (=)

7 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

. I’m old fashioned and if you hit the hot 100 it was a “thing” and you definitely had a hit record,

Eh, agree to disagree.

with that logic, the term “one-hit wonder” wouldn’t really apply to many artists in the US as they’ve had other charting songs, just none that remotely tap the level of success of their major hit.

I mean, “dance like we’re making love” by Ciara peaked at #100 and “I don’t” by Mariah peaked at #89...maybe I’m crazy but those weren’t hits if you ask me?

Also, nothing against Swalla but it was one of the most streamed songs globally of 2017, had two major US artists featured, was discounted on ITunes and had rhythmic radio support.  To me (once again, agree to disagree), peaking at #29 is not a huge hit to me.

17 minutes ago, TOASTY said:

Eh, agree to disagree.

with that logic, the term “one-hit wonder” wouldn’t really apply to many artists in the US as they’ve had other charting songs, just none that remotely tap the level of success of their major hit.

I mean, “dance like we’re making love” by Ciara peaked at #100 and “I don’t” by Mariah peaked at #89...maybe I’m crazy but those weren’t hits if you ask me?

Also, nothing against Swalla but it was one of the most streamed songs globally of 2017, had two major US artists featured, was discounted on ITunes and had rhythmic radio support.  To me (once again, agree to disagree), peaking at #29 is not a huge hit to me.

Anything top 40 is considered a hit, it doesn’t matter what you think.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.