(T thru Z) Ewan Chaos's Best of 2017

Ewan Chaos

• ATRL Moderator

One of those songs is in my worst of list :blush:

I enjoyed your DP picks, but there's ONE song that is better than them.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• Lazuli

• Tom Vercetti

• TheWayWeWere

Don't know much from the D's except for that Dua's sing which is blah, stan for Lost in Your Light tho.

Carly and Charli both delivered as always and DRAG Calvin's collab with N*ck*, just when I thought his albern would be all at least decent, that shitshow happened.

'nother letter! I may even do F today omg

Elbow

Image result for grounds for divorce elbow gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: All Disco
  • This Year: This was my immediate favorite from the record. Sooo pretty. The whole record is pretty great too - I THIIINK I may have preferred the previous one though (but this one's easier to listen to since the tracks are shorter)
  • I Also Enjoyed: Magnificent (She Says), Gentle Storm, Firebrand & Angel
  • I Didn't Enjoy: None!

Erik Hassle

erik hassle innoncence lost GIF by TEN Music Group

Spoiler

• Song Choice: No Words
  • This Year: So... I guess this dude released pretty much every song from his record that came out this year in like 2014/2015 :deadbanana: So I'm unintentionally cheating I guess... Either way this was a good record! No Words is my favorite because I feel the production will stay fresh for a very long time, esp the chorus. Just lovely!
  • I Also Enjoyed: Innocence Lost (this one features Tinasha!), Pathetic, Talk About It, If Only Your Man Knew
  • I Didn't Enjoy: All Of You All Over Me

Everything Everything

Image result for everything everything band gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Desire
  • This Year: The lads gave Can't Do first, which was enjoyable, but I was really hooked once this came out. It's great! The album as a whole I like less than Get to Heaven, which I actually still have been playing. Like the Elbow record, this new one is easier to listen to though cause it's shorter!
  • I Also Enjoyed: Big Game (very close #2, it's kinda different from them & the song progression ROCKS), Can't Do, Ivory Tower, Night of the Long Knives
  • I Didn't Enjoy: New Deep

Elbow + Everything Everything :beatfreak:

Listened to Everything Everything's album like twice but didn't really get into it. Can't Do was a bop for fifteen minutes tho

1 hour ago, Wicked said:

Are you intent on killing my phone with these gifs? :rip: 

I realized the error of my ways after the A section but I committed to the theme and WHEN YOU COMMIT YOU GOTTA COMMIT 

No Plan EP was ok, title track was the best :clap3:

DSM is such a guilty pleasure :jonny: first Guetta song that I like in YEARS

Dua's album was ok for me, kinda not that good as singles. I still think she's capable of more :)

David's Guetta's style is just too dated for me now.  

Respect for Bowie Ofc.

Destroyer, DP & Everything Everything were okay. Each had better years.

Dua overtook atrl with new rules.

Didn't care much about Everything Everything's newest, I feel like they've already peaked with Get to Heaven

Time for more, babes!

Father John Misty

father john misty governors ball GIF by GOVBALL NYC

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Total Entertainment Forever
  • This Year: I was in the group that wasn't very big on this record. I can appreciate it but I didn't really love it. I like the lyrics on this one.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Pure Comedy, Ballad of the Dying Man
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Did not really care for either 10+ minute song lol

Feist

century GIF by Feist

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Any Party
  • This Year: Is this a basic pick? I kinda hope not. It's just such a sweet romantic song, I LOVE the chanting of the chorus (I bet it'd be awesome to see live), and I'm OBSESSED with the "My Moon My Man" throwback to the end of the song with her leaving the house. The album as a whole I also really enjoyed.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Pleasure, Century, A Man Is Not His Song, I Wish I Didn't Miss You
  • I Didn't Enjoy: I guess I'm Not Running Away?

Fever Ray

Related image

Spoiler

• Song Choice: To the Moon and Back
  • This Year: idk I just don't think she's for me. I do like this song, mostly the production. 
  • I Also Enjoyed: This Country
  • I Didn't Enjoy: idk lol 

Fleet Foxes

joanna newsom pitchfork GIF

Spoiler

• Song Choice: - Naiads, Cassadies
  • This Year: I really need to listen to this album again and give it another chance because LORD I don't remember why I picked this one at all (but I like it) and don't even remember what I liked/disliked.
  • I Also Enjoyed: IDK LOL
  • I Didn't Enjoy: idk!!!

Foxygen

Image result for foxygen gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Avalon
  • This Year: One of my favorite records of early 2017! Avalon was the first to really pull me in with the switch-up in the song, all the loud instruments, his voice, etc etc. It's like Disneyland! haha
  • I Also Enjoyed: America, Upon a Hill, Follow the Leader, On Lankershim
  • I Didn't Enjoy: If I HAD to pick, I'd say Trauma but only cause I listen to it the least!

Francis and the Lights

chance the rapper GIF by Pitchfork

Spoiler

• Song Choice: May I Have this Dance (feat. Chance the Rapper)
  • This Year: This was one of my faves from his record from last year, but the little remix with Chance is even better! I love that he's singing about his daughter in the added verse. AND I loooooove the video. Me and my roommate have sworn we will learn the dance. Just gotta get there.
  • I Also Enjoyed: See my list last year ;) 
  • I Didn't Enjoy: N/a

Fyfe

Related image

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Belong (feat. Kimbra)
  • This Year: I almost didn't want to make this Fyfe's highlight because it's half Kimbra's song... but it's so ****ing good. If I did rankings, this would easily be in my top 5. The production is incredible, the baton back & forth of their singing, their harmonizing, the two-part chorus, Kimbra's entire part of the song (especially the "lost myself..." section), the lyrics... seriously, check this song out and then check out Fyfe's album. I really love this album as well.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Closer, Stronger, Rosa, Love You More, Borders
  • I Didn't Enjoy: None!

• ATRL Moderator

Well I'm glad you liked TTMAB and This Country but I'm sad you don't like more :sad: 

I only liked one Feist song this time around, but its very good!

Gonna check out this Kimbra collab

Fever Ray album was ok , just not for me either, I love that weird as **** video tho :jonny:

Any Party isn't a basic choice at all, it's a bop. :-* 

Well, that's three more songs than I enjoyed from FJM so

Fyfe stans unite!

Foxygen was really under the radar this year huh. 

I also didn't remember much from Fleet Foxes but I had remind myself a couple. 

17 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:
  • Song Choice: Any Party
  • I Also Enjoyed: Pleasure, Century, A Man Is Not His Song, I Wish I Didn't Miss You

TASTE :clap3:

I can barely scroll the page :skull:

Francis & the Lights was kind of forgotten :rip: FJM :heart2: I can see why people aren't big on PC but I loved it.

Ugh FJM :katie: 

(I bet it'd be awesome to see live)

It really was!!! Any Party is amazing and yeah there was a huge singalong for that one

nnn @ you being so confused for Fleet Foxes :dies: 

Sorry I've been so damn slow - I'll catch up on Best Ofs this weekend since I have a lot of free time

Gabriel Garzón-Montano

gabriel garzon montano GIF by Remezcla

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Crawl
  • This Year: I love love LOOOOVE this album. I really still need to give the debut of his a listen but I first listened to this in... May? And I've been quite obsessed since. This one's easily my favorite, prob cause of the chorus. Love the video too, again prob cuz of the chorus with his dance moves I try to do. But overall, yes one of my favorite records of the year.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Sour Mango (YES), Fruitflies, My Balloon, The Game, Cantiga
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Actually the only song I didn't like was Bombo Fabrica

Galantis

dance tellmeyouloveme GIF by Big Beat Records

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Tell Me You Love Me (with Throttle)
  • This Year: Even with their 2015 record, I only enjoyed a handful of the songs from these EDM guys - this was the case again. THO I absolutely adore this song. It's so fun and euphoric. I am CONVINCED that Jess Glynne is the singer... but I guess we'll never know (it isn't).
  • I Also Enjoyed: Hey Alligator (we'll see Bonnie again on this Best Of!), Girls on Boys, Hunter
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Pretty much the rest

Gallant

gallant weight in gold music video GIF by Mind of a Genius

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Cave Me In (with Tablo & Eric Nam)
  • This Year: Heard this on the new spotify Fridays playlist early in the year and always enjoyed it! I like when they throw in the funky bass a few times in the track
  • I Also Enjoyed: Just listen to Gallant's record if you haven't yet lol
  • I Didn't Enjoy: N/A

Gavin Turek

Image result for gavin turek gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: The Distance
  • This Year: CHECK THIS GIRL OUT NOW! I'm serious. Her music is amazing, her videos rule, she's gorgeous, she is an INCREDIBLE live performer... yes. Please don't sleep on her anymore. She released an EP at the beginning of the year and I love love love all of it. The Distance specifically is a slow, funky funky love jam. Can't get enough.
  • I Also Enjoyed: On the Line (this is THE upbeat jam - I couldn't decide between this & The Distance, but this technically came out last year), My Delight, Good Look for You (MV out now!), Don't Fight It (from 2015)
  • I Didn't Enjoy: None! CHECK.... HER... OUT!

Goldfrapp

Image result for goldfrapp gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Systemagic
  • This Year: This album was alright! I haven't gone back to it much, which I think is b/c most of my faves were in the front of the album. Was a close pick for me between this & Anymore, but I like the production on this more!
  • I Also Enjoyed: Anymore, Tigerman, Become the One
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Not big on Zodiak Black

Gorillaz

GIF by Gorillaz

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Andromeda (feat. D.R.A.M.)
  • This Year: I totally understand why people weren't into their new album - and really I agree - but I was still able to find enjoyment in most of this album. Some songs I had to kinda be like... yeah these aren't Gorillaz songs but I dig it so meh. THIS song though... it's THE Gorillaz vibe that we know and love from past records. It's so melancholic, pretty, 2-D's vocals ( :eli: ), not too OTT production. Really lovely.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Strobelite (this is basically my main example of the above), Momentz (I love the chaos of this one!), Ascension, Let Me Out, The Apprentice 
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Carnival, Sex Murder Party, Hallelujah Money

Gwen Stefani

gwen stefani reaction gif GIF

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Santa Baby
  • This Year: I mean, I don't really care for established musicians's Xmas albums. Hers was okay. Of course Gwen would sing something like Santa Baby. It works! Her own penned songs were cute too.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Most of the covers I'd say I liked the most
  • I Didn't Enjoy: None

Goldfrapp :smitten: ugh, their comeback was pretty amazing

Gwen :clap3: I liked her xmas album, but lack of original songs turned me off a little :michael:

I really enjoyed Systemagic - the other three you mentioned are probably my trinity though.

Alright yall I kinda doubt this year I'll be able to finish in time at the format I'm doing, so let me make this go by quicker and cut down some steps...

H:

HAIM - You Never Knew

(An overall disappointing record, but this is one of their best songs ever. It's basically a hybrid of the best Dev Hynes song, Fleetwood Mac, and Prince??? They really kept this one basic (which is good... this album was way over-produced) and beautiful and nostalgic.)

• Also Love: Nothing's Wrong, Ready for You
  • Don't Like: Right Now (you know I loved that live version but HATED the studio version)

Homeshake - Call Me Up

(Some ****in low-fi, indie goodness that I heard in Iceland and took back to the US)

• Also Love: Serious, That Kissing Huggin etc. song, So She, Every Single Thing
  • Don't Like: None!

HONNE - Just Dance

(Proud of them for trying something a bit new and going upbeat funk! I love that it's a party song, but also a love song.)

• Also Love: None
  • Don't Like: None

The Horrors - Something to Remember Me By

(I'm still admittedly getting into this album, bit it really is good. The ending song is still the one that has me the most captivated.)

I:

Ibeyi - Waves

(No hate but I found this album pretty boring. :/ I like this tho)

• Also Love: the Chilly Gonzales song is cool
  • Don't Like: idk...

Iggy Azalea - Mo Bounce

(lol I think the reason why I like the song is cause it's so ****. The "mo bounce" could be so annoying but somehow it isn't, she's "rapping" so offbeat but it... works? The lyrics are **** but... fun? Can't explain it but OH WELL. I love saying "MO BOUNCE IN THE MOTHER****IN HAAUUUSSE in her annoying voice lol)

• Also Love: None

J:

J. Roddy Walston and the Business - Ways and Means

(Alright album! Nothing like Tear Jerk or Take It as It Comes on this record, but tracks like this are very "them" and fun.)

• Also Love: Blade of Truth, Numbers
  • Don't Like: I wanna say none... but I feel like I wasn't big on a track or two

Jamiroquai - Cloud 9

(Good for them for making a comeback! This was a good albeit fairly typical Jamiroquai record. Also pretty front-loaded. This song was my favorite because I love the bass and the chorus is heavenly (get it?))

• Also Love: Automaton, Summer Girl, Shake It On, Hot Property 
  • Don't Like: Nights Out on the Jungle was imo the only unneeded song

Japandroids - North East South West

(Whew what a great follow-up and what a jam this song is. Love the lyrics and the upbeat production that eases into the slower part at the end. Makes it feel like a punk song, kinda like Smash It Up (Pt.2) by The Damned!)

• Also Love: Near to the Wild Heart of Life (on my list last year!), No Known Drink or Drug, In a Body Like a Grave, Midnight to Morning
  • Don't Like: None!

Japanese Breakfast - Till Death

(Good for women in rock this year. This song was my favorite namely because of the lyricism and once it gets to the "PTSD, anxiety" I really get into the track.)

• Also Love: 12 Steps, Road Head (teehee), Machinist, This House
  • Don't Like: Again, none!

Jason Derulo - Swalla (feat. Necki & Dollar Sign)

(I feel Jason will always be able to release jams. Did he release anything else this year though? idk. Me and my friends would jam to this song ALLLLLL the time. There's something interesting about that creepy carnival part in the "freaky freaky yeah" part)

Jesca Hoop - Animal Kingdom Chaotic

(I'm proud of Jesca getting that Sub Pop backing! She and this album deserve a lot. This song is my favorite cause there's something silly about fighting for your lover's attention against their "dumb" computer saying NO to everything)

• Also Love: Simon Says (the discordant guitar is awesome), Songs of Old, Unsaid
  • Don't Like: None! Check her out

Jessie Ware - Midnight

(Jessie Ware... my love. You either were on the "I love & got into her from Tough Love & this is my least fave record" OR "I started with Devotion & ranking is Devotion > Glasshouse > Tough Love. I'm the latter. This is a great album! I was having a tough time picking my fave song, but I fell in love with Midnight IMMEDIATELY and that feeling never went away, so I feel I have to keep this on. I mean come on, that chorus is chilling.)

• Also Love: Selfish Love (I almost can't wait for the summer so I can sit on a beach & blast this), Alone (a tough #2!), Last of the True Believers, Stay Awake Wait for Me
  • Don't Like: Hearts, Slow Me Down

Jidenna - Trampoline

(I wasn't into Classic Man/this dude's EP from back in the day, this is a jam of an album! What a sexy little song this is. Love the chorus of course. I think I could do with a version of the outro as a separate interlude, but hey it makes me laugh.)

• Also Love: Some Kind of Way, Adaora, Long Live the Chief, 

JMSN - Slowly

(His EP this year was cute. I like the jazzy vibes of this one, but realistically this is tied with Drinkin as my fave.)

• Also Love: Drinkin', Love Ain't Enough, Slide

Joji - Demons

(So I guess this is that meme guy? I didn't realize; I just found this from a Spotify Weekly lol. The EP is half **** have lovely. Demons of course, is the latter)

• Also Love: Will He, Window
  • Don't Like: Bitter **** (HATED this one), Pills

Joywave - Rumors

(I was really into this record a lot in August but never picked it up again much outside of the month, weirdly. )

• Also Love: Let's Talk About Feelings, It's a Trip!, Doubt, When You're Bored

Julien Baker - Televangelist

(I wish I got into this record earlier! It's really good.)

• Also Love: Everything that Helps You Sleep, Happy to Be Here

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.