• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• Lazuli

• Tom Vercetti

• TheWayWeWere

Banks :clap3: very exicted about new album, Underdog is jam :katie2:

Betty Who :jonny: yeah, Mama Say is EVERYTHING :heart2: and I love entire Valley album , tbh

I stan for Bjork, but Utopia went nothing for me tbh :michael:

Always here for Björk

fbgwpsO.gif

Guess I'll have to check out Bibio, Ambivalence Avenue has been on my queue for a while and I've heard nothing but good things about the new album

• ATRL Moderator

Borns is one of those pop artists that's cool with indie kids here that I just don't get.  Surprised you didn't mention Don't Take the Money, that's the only Bleachers song that's sold me!

I'm gonna need a little more from Banks. Underdogs didn't impress me much.

I heard some bits of the new Bibio album. Capel Celyn hits the sweet spot. 

The song choice for Bjork is.... interesting.

I'm not into Bonobo as much as I used to and their album came and went. I still play Black Sands tho. 

BETSY's album gave me the debut Clare Maguire sound I needed this year, so it became an instant fave. Banks' Underdog was fun. I'm torn on the Betty Who and Bleacher's albums. Def preferred their debuts but some great stuff on both. 

Mother Björk :worship2: that new Bibio album was excellent too!

Utopia was definitely a highlight on that album I didn't really enjoy overall unfortunately.

I feel like people do too much on Jack, his productions for other artists are usually solid and this song you mentioned is too. DRAG Arcade Fire, the title track was passable all things considered but everything else :mazen: never would I have thought they'd **** up so badly.

Crowded Places > Underdog :cm: 

Bjork :clap3:

I really liked Don't Take The Money but his album was really boring

I never really gave Borns a proper chance, so.

Braves sounds interesting though.

I promise I will reply to you guys/other Best Ofs tomorrow since I'm free all tomorrow! Until then, here's the C's - just the 6!

Calvin Harris

Image result for calvin harris gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Cash Out (feat. ScHoolboy Q, PARTYNEXTDOOR, D.R.A.M.)
  • This Year: Kinda proud of Calvin for branching out a lil bit outside of his mainstream EDM. The whole album isn't like... fantastic, but the good cuts are GOOD! Idk who singing/rapping at each bit in this song, but it's so good. Love the sleek, funky production, each part is great, and the ending section is amazing.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Heatstroke (it should have had Feels's success), Slide, Faking It, Prayers Up
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Feels (way overrated, I think people like it because they're trying hard to pair Katy with something good? idk), the Nicki Minaj song.

Carly Rae Jepsen

giphy.webp

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Cut to the Feeling
  • This Year: I mean duh
  • I Also Enjoyed: N/A
  • I Didn't Enjoy: N/A

Charli XCX

Related image

Spoiler

• Song Choice: 3AM (Pull Up)
  • This Year: I feel a bit basic picking this one but IDGAF - sorry haters! MO sounds great on her part, the verses are great, the chorus is perfect, the chorus CHANGE in the final bit is true bliss (GO **** YASELF). I get that the production is a bit trend-followy, but it's so good. I thought the whole mixtape was pretty good! I preferred the beginning & end to the middle but meh. Won't talk about POP 2 cuz I haven't listened to it yet in full. I'm sure she'll release something next year - I'll talk about POP 2 then!
  • I Also Enjoyed: Roll With Me (so good), Drugs (the bop for when you're dating a pharmacist), Blame It On You, Babygirl, Boys
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Emotional, Lipgloss (lol sorry, but I will spoil now and say even though I Got It is beyond a mess, I kinda love it)

Chromeo

Image result for chromeo juice gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Juice
  • This Year: They are BACK! Cannot wait for the new album if it's anything close to the quality. The video is a lol as well - Dave looking sexy as always
  • I Also Enjoyed: N/A - YET

Clean Bandit

Related image

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Disconnect (feat. Marina & the Diamonds)
  • This Year: Haven't really enjoyed anything they put out this year (which is fine with Rockabye killing it in America this year), so this is kinda (again) an excuse to put Marina on my list lololol. Actually I think this version is alright - the original live version I thought was crap. This is at least okay I guess.
  • I Didn't Enjoy: I know people are into Symphony but it's so yelly and annoying.

COIN

Image result for coin band gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: I Don't Wanna Dance
  • This Year: These guys kinda remind me of LANY (yes they'll be on my list later). A pretty good album with some solid highlights. This one's my favorite for sure - I think cause of the chorus.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Heart Eyes, Boyfriend, Lately II
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Are We Alone? (actually the only song I didn't like)

A different calvin pick for a change.

Charli x Carly ofc. Thoughts on Backseat?

I had a Chromeo phase in highschool that quickly died out. Good for them on continuing music. 

I think people like it because they're trying hard to pair Katy with something good? 

Not sure if this is a drag but I'll take it :thing: 

Carly :alexz: 

I like the Calvin & Carly love but I am horrified @ the Skrt on Me, Symphony & Lipgloss hate :biblio:

All are masterpieces.

yeah, I'm glad Calvin ditched EDM, but  I don't really like album either

Charli was absolutely amazing this year :jonny: still didn't listen POP2, but very excited about it :jonny:

yeah, Clean Bandit went down after masterpiece Rockabye, but **** i'm so happy the finally released Disconnect :jonny:

That 1-2 punch with Carly and Charli. And they just collaborated with each other. God exists.

Nf5r5fS.gif 

Calvin's commentary can't be truer! :clap3:

Slide is one of the best :jonny:

comment on my best of too:jamming:

Know a fence but I could look at this gif of Calvin for hours :smitten: Didn't really care for his music apart for a few songs, mostly Slide and Rollin

vuhexrt.gif

14 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:
  • I Also Enjoyed: Roll With Me (so good), Drugs (the bop for when you're dating a pharmacist), Blame It On You, Babygirl, Boys

Taste :jonny5:

14 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Emotional, Lipgloss (lol sorry, but I will spoil now and say even though I Got It is beyond a mess, I kinda love it)

Tell em! Lipgloss was nice tho

• ATRL Moderator

Yeah i liked calvin's stuff too this year, sorta.  I feel like there was a lot of filler but I love the funky songs.  I was expecting to hate it because of the dated 2011 album name.

OMG 3AM is by far my least fave on N1A.  I just think everything else is more... engaging?

i know you didn't like Cupcakke last year that much but I thought she'd grow on you :sad: 

Time for replies finally - let me just reply to the most recent ones sorry yall! Update coming too & I'll check your guys's out!

Spoiler
18 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

A different calvin pick for a change.

Charli x Carly ofc. Thoughts on Backseat?

I had a Chromeo phase in highschool that quickly died out. Good for them on continuing music. 

I am TIRED of Feels being on people's lists. Backseat - a pop triumph. But I honestly need more time to fully enjoy it. I can't wait for it to 100% click since I'm already like 80% there.

I think you'd dig Juice/some stuff from their last record.

16 hours ago, Lazuli said:

Not sure if this is a drag but I'll take it :thing: 

Carly :alexz: 

:fan: Sure

15 hours ago, Kim Kardashian said:

I like the Calvin & Carly love but I am horrified @ the Skrt on Me, Symphony & Lipgloss hate :biblio:

All are masterpieces.

Sorry sis! I will say even though I personally dislike Lipgloss I see the appeal.

10 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

yeah, I'm glad Calvin ditched EDM, but  I don't really like album either

Charli was absolutely amazing this year :jonny: still didn't listen POP2, but very excited about it :jonny:

yeah, Clean Bandit went down after masterpiece Rockabye, but **** i'm so happy the finally released Disconnect :jonny:

I'm already feeling like POP 2 will be a great compliment to N1A. Good for her! Yeah even though they didn't even try to do anything with Disconnect at least it's out.

10 hours ago, prézli said:

That 1-2 punch with Carly and Charli. And they just collaborated with each other. God exists.

Nf5r5fS.gif 

God knew what they were doing when putting those 2 pop messiahs so close together in the alphabet.

9 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

Charli really did that this year, huh? But the lipgloss slander is not ok!

Nf5r5fS.gif

Sorry boo!

8 hours ago, TayRianaPH said:

Calvin's commentary can't be truer! :clap3:

Slide is one of the best :jonny:

comment on my best of too:jamming:

I was super pleased when Slide came out. Perfect first single from the record & starting song. I'll check out your Best Of today, thanks for checking mine!

4 hours ago, AlexisNeiers said:

Know a fence but I could look at this gif of Calvin for hours :smitten: Didn't really care for his music apart for a few songs, mostly Slide and Rollin

vuhexrt.gif

Taste :jonny5:

Tell em! Lipgloss was nice tho

Calvin kinda is Scottish excellence in the looks department since his glo up. Bit too tall for my tastes but if he wants to take pics of himself in briefs I'll take it! Good picks tho - Slide & Rollin are good

3 hours ago, madonnas said:

Yeah i liked calvin's stuff too this year, sorta.  I feel like there was a lot of filler but I love the funky songs.  I was expecting to hate it because of the dated 2011 album name.

OMG 3AM is by far my least fave on N1A.  I just think everything else is more... engaging?

i know you didn't like Cupcakke last year that much but I thought she'd grow on you :sad: 

I think the fact he did something different made me like the record a bit more haha. TBH I know what you mean about 3am but it's suuuuch a bop.

Honestly Charli's part in Lipgloss is my least favorite, not Cupcakke's! And I like Cupcakke's part in I Got It. 

Daley

jessie j daley GIF

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Sympathy (feat. Swindle)
  • This Year: You should know by know that I LOVE a good funky tune. This one's a jam and I like the featuring. I think either the chorus or the ending "you treat me so cold" is my favorite. I kinda love the abrupt ending. The whole album was alright too!
  • I Also Enjoyed: Careless, Slow Burn, Until the Pain is Gone, Selfish
  • I Didn't Enjoy: I'd say none!

David Bowie

little pete GIF

Spoiler

• Song Choice: No Plan
  • This Year: RIP king. A lovely posthumous track.

David Guetta

charli xcx GIF by David Guetta

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Dirty Sexy Money (feat. Charli XCX & Fench Montana)
  • This Year: Does Charli own this ass? Yes. Yes she does. This is truly a bop and a half in the chorus.

Destroyer

music video ken GIF by Merge Records

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Cover From the Sun
  • This Year: I never really went back to this record and I don't know why. Not 100% sure why this is my highlight from the record either. Prob cuz I'm pale af and always need sunblock
  • I Also Enjoyed: So bad to say but I can't really remember SORRY
  • I Didn't Enjoy: I do remember not disliking any songs tho

Dirty Projectors

tonight show dawn GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Cool Your Heart (feat. Dawn)
  • This Year: Well well well Dave. You may look better with a beard & this vid is cool, but this album was... not the tea overall. I guess I like this the most cuz Dave clearly is missing something without a girl helping out on a record (giving Solange the shoutout too for co-writing). This song does rock though! I listen to it a loooot. The bridge is AWESOME - "Cool Your Heaaaaart" with the horns backing up Dave. So good.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Little Bubble is ALMOST as good as Cool Your Heart. Seriously, it's also so good with the multiple changes, the chirping, etc.
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Umm the rest of the record.

DJ Premier

Image result for dj premier 2 lovin u gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: 2 Lovin U (feat. Miguel)
  • This Year: A fun, funky bop with Miguel's sultry vocals. I love the "daaaaamn" samplings too, super funny. Check it out!

Dua Lipa

Image result for dua lipa gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: IDGAF
  • This Year: I'm... still tryna decide how much I like this chick. The album was pretty nice, but it still hasn't stuck with me or anything. This song took a liiiiittle bit for me to get into but I LOVE it. The chorus is very well done, especially the added "I see you tryna get to me..." bit for the 2nd & 3rd chorus. Love the bridge & the "youhoooooo"
  • I Also Enjoyed: New Rules (when the gays were jamming to it first I didn't like it cuz of the kinda offbeat drop in the chorus. I like it now, it's a jam), Lost In Your Light, Thinkin Bout You, Genesis
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Ummm I remember not liking the deluxe songs I think!
Edited by Ewan Chaos

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.