(T thru Z) Ewan Chaos's Best of 2017

Ewan Chaos

Julien came with heat.

I thought I fairly kept up this year, but some **** I haven't even heard of :dies: New Years Resolution to stay on point.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• Lazuli

• Tom Vercetti

• TheWayWeWere

Foxygen and Japanese Breakfast. Hell yeah.

How unfortunate was Jesca Hoops on my albums/EPs list. She ended up like 102nd or 103rd, hahaha.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS these next 2 letters are pretty bulky but I'm tryna get a lot of this done for this Xmas Eve, so here we go!

K:

Kacy Hill - Cruel

(Pretty bad album, but I LOOOOOVE this song. The production is cool and I like the lyrics. There's like 2 other songs I like from this but everything else is pretty much crap)

• Also Love: Keep Me Sane, Say You're Wrong
  • Don't Like: The rest I think lol

Kehlani - Undercover

(Never got into the full album, but I like tracks like this! The guitar, the chorus overall, awesome.)

• Also Love: Piece of Mind, Keep On, Personal
  • Don't Like: Meh none but I wasn't big on any other tracks

Kelela - Take Me Apart

(Sorry LMK, but this was my instant fave.)

• Also Love: Jupiter, Frontline, S.O.S., LMK
  • Don't Like: None

Kendrick Lamar - DNA

(I GOT I GOT I GOT I GOT I ****ing love this song. I think of the 3 albums out this is my least favorite, but this is the easiest/quickest to listen to I will admit.)

• Also Love: Humble, Love, Loyalty, Pride
  • Don't Like: Lust

Kesha - Boogie Feet

(Why on earth did she not just do a full album with the Eagles of Death Metal? Let 'Em Talk was my immediate favorite for a while, but Boogie Feet really eventually came and took the crown. Let 'Em Talk is sooooo ****ing good too though. She really should go in this direction more - it works for her!)

• Also Love: Let 'Em Talk, Praying, Woman, Learn to Let Go
  • Don't Like: Hunt You Down is a bit too honkey tonk for me

Kevin Garett - Pulling Me Under

(Homeboy was on my list in 2015 and he's back! I wish he'd release a full album but I dig his EP's so far)

• Also Love: The rest of the EP!

Khalid - Hopeless

(Cute album - but this was my standout from the get-go and still is. I think his voice is really endearing on a track like this with the production and lyrics. It's cute! I feel like I'd be more into the album if I was... like 17 lol)

• Also Love: American Teen, Coaster, 8TEEN
  • Don't Like: Mmmm I guess stuff like Location & Young Dumb Broke

The Killers - Run for Cover

(Definitely a jam. I get the flak that a lot of the record sounds like Brandon Flowers solo #3, but this track doesn't really feel that way. Dece album overall!)

• Also Love: The Man, Rut, Some Kind of Life, Money on Straight
  • Don't Like: The Calling, Have All the Songs Been Written

Kimbra - Top of the World

(She ****ing came through this year so far. I cannot wait for Primal Heart next year and you'll be sure to see her next year. What is there even to say about Top of the World, just listen to it. And watch the video.)

• Also Love: Everybody Knows (I wanted to give this some spotlight too because it's so good, but TotW really punched)

The Knocks - Worship (feat. MNEK)

(I love these guys - still! Their EP wasn't as good as the record imo but still had some good hits. Worship is the incredible opener with MNEK really killing the vocals. This track was the **** live.)

• Also Love: Heat, Trouble, Lie
  • Don't Like: Feel Love

Kygo - Riding Shotgun (feat. Bonnie McKee)

(I'm overall meh on Kygo but he has some jams - this one I play a lot when drinking)

• Also Love: It Ain't Me (mainly for the "skinny" part she sings in the chorus, and "whiskey knee"
  • Don't Like: Meh don't remember

L:

Lany - Good Girls

(Cute album! My favorite part of this song is the second chorus when that kinda robot-like version of himself is singing in the background.)

• Also Love: ILYSB, Super Far, Flowers on the Floor
  • Don't Like: Um there were def a few I wasn't into but I can't remember.

LCD Soundsystem - Tonite

(Good for them making the comeback this year, though woulda made more sense last year I guess. I think the "touch me..." etc part is my favorite of this song.)

• Also Love: Other Voices, Call the Police, American Dream
  • Don't Like: Not that big on the last song!

Life of Dillon - Rocks

(A fun song I found on a Spotify weekly. No clue if they have other shiz lol.)

• Also Love: None

Lights - Savage

(I've kinda always stanned her. Siberia will always be her magnum opus, but this actually I'd say is her #2 record! Great varied sound and the fact that it ties in with a comic (that I have yet to read) is pretty awesome. In fact, because it works without the comic as well is even more impressive. I love the guitar on Savage.)

• Also Love: Until the Light, New Fears, Moonshine, Morphine
  • Don't Like: Kicks

Lindstrøm - Drift

(Really good house record. I've found it a bit tough to go back to because the tracks are long so it's hard for me to take the time to want to listen to the full record, but when I do it rocks. This was my immediate favorite based on the song progression & amount of times it changes, but stays cohesive.)

• Also Love: Spire, Tensions, But Isn't It
  • Don't Like: None!

Little Dragon - High

(I'm honestly disappointed I've never like... LOVED a Little Dragon record yet. Well, this one was cute, and I liked this song the most.)

• Also Love: The Pop Life, Butterflies
  • Don't Like: I'd say none

London Grammar - Big Picture

(Never been into these guys either. This song though is kind of a masterpiece. Good for them!)

• Also Love: Everyone Else, Who Am I
  • Don't Like: Uhh the rest? lol

London O'Connor - Love Song

(I think this technically came out last year, but Spotify was promoting it this year and it's listed on there as 2017. The album touches a lot on the dullness of suburbia with a few other touches which I can totally relate to. He sounds sweet on this track & I enjoy the production)

• Also Love: Oatmeal, Steal, Guts, Nobody Hangs Out Anymore

Lorde - Hard Feelings / Loveless

(Admittedly, Sober had been my #1 pick until... October. Then this song (these songs?) decided to just steal that spot, mostly from the Hard Feelings part. This album rules and deserves all the praise, which is funny cause I did not and still don't care for her first album. But back to Melodrama - I mean who else was able to write about the truths of teenagedom & all that in such a poetic, artistic way like this? WHO)

• Also Love: Sober (the "midnight lose my mind" hook is amazing), Green Light, The Louvre, Writer in the Dark, Supercut
  • Don't Like: I don't really care for either Liability songs but I can appreciate them

Lost Kings - Quit You (feat. Tinashe)

(A jam! I really don't even care for Tinashe usually lol)

• Also Love: None

LPX - Tightrope

(Queen of Neon Gold and one part of MS MR has been busy with some solo stuff this year. This was the first track she released back in January and I've been hooked. I love that she's going for the gritty "Brody Dalle/Shirley Manson" etc etc vibes here and I think it suits her voice a lot more. Plus I think it's pretty well produced. She'll have an EP out next month - check it out!)

• Also Love: Tremble, she did a cute song with Why So Not called Better

Lucy Rose - Is This Called Home

(I got into a song from this album a while ago but only last week checked out the album. It's good! Love this song because of the change-up in the end. Girl apparently went on a backpacking trip across Latin America to tour for her fans for free prior to this record. That's dope!)

• Also Love: Second Chance, Floral Dresses, Moirai, Love Song

Lydia Ainsworth - Ricochet

(Never heard of this chick before this record, but I kinda fell in love with it. I love the chorus of this one!)

• Also Love: Spinning, Afterglow, WLCM, I Can Feel It All
  • Don't Like: The Road, for some reason

Kehlani, Killers, Kendrick, Kesha!  :clap3:

K's do it better

6 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Also Love: ILYSB, Super Far, Flowers on the Floor

DAMN! I respect everyone who loves these! :biggrin:

LANY made it to mine too :worship:

see you in my best of hun! :) 

where's gifs :fan:

Kehlani and Kelela :clap3: both was amazing this year, you should listen SweetSexySavage

oh, nice to see some praise for Skin&Light, it's actually her 2nd best work after Siberia

London Grammar mention :clap3:

Love to see LEGEND Kelela on here :clap3: but also Lorde, Kendrick, Kesha, Kimbra and LCD Soundsystem. Legends only, truly. :'(

I don't really get the love for Undercover on this board or with critics lol
Your also loved tracks by Kelela are amazing, good picks.
Kendrick, Little Dragon, LCD, Lorde I love of course.
I've been slacking on my baby Kimbra
The rest of the L section I;ve never really heard before, might check a few out.

• ATRL Moderator

So glad you chose the RIGHT Kimbra record.

There's a certain track missing for your Kelela Highlights :gaycat3:

I like Lindstrom but I think he's needs to explore some new areas, 

The Lorde highlight is something new, it's usually GL/Supercut or Homemade. 

Kelela, Kendrick, LCD :clap3:

Boogie Feet for your Kesha highlight? :huh: Strange

The Killers :heart2: 

You got the Lorde one right! :worship: 

You better stan for Kesha Legend and THE Lorde :alexz: 

• ATRL Moderator

I agree 1000% with your Kesha picks, Let em Talk and Boogie Feet are among her best songs.  Supernatural/Dinosaur/Cmon level greatness.

Interesting Kelela picks, why don't yew like Altadena and Blue Light as much?

You need to listen to Lydia's older album!  It's better, like a lot better but Ricochet and Spinning are bops.

Cruel is one of the three good songs on Kacy's album kii

Take Me Apart is one of the weaker songs on the record but still a slay, look at the state of that

Tightrope is probably my least fave of her solo sings yet but its still cute

High, Good Girls, Boogie Feet :clap3:

and yeah, like madonnas said Lydias debut is muuuch better than Darling

Mess @ Giphy cancelling their sponsorship nn;

Ibeyi's album was a one big snooze, I don't get the praise they're receiving :zzz:

My favs from the few last updates are probs Kelela, K-Dot and Lorde :clap3:

Lydia Ainsworth is a talentless rat btw :)

LOL okay yall I'll do replies here and do another letter on the next post/I'll reply to other best ofs and get caught up!

Spoiler
On 12/25/2017 at 3:39 AM, TayRianaPH said:

Kehlani, Killers, Kendrick, Kesha!  :clap3:

K's do it better

DAMN! I respect everyone who loves these! :biggrin:

LANY made it to mine too :worship:

see you in my best of hun! :) 

WOO Yes I knew you'd appreciate my Lany picks haha

On 12/25/2017 at 8:59 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

where's gifs :fan:

Kehlani and Kelela :clap3: both was amazing this year, you should listen SweetSexySavage

oh, nice to see some praise for Skin&Light, it's actually her 2nd best work after Siberia

London Grammar mention :clap3:

:fan: Well if I continued with the format before I figured I'd not finish until FEBRUARY.

I thought SweetSexySavage was okay - not my fave. And yas at us having the same ranking of Lights albums

On 12/25/2017 at 0:19 PM, TRF. said:

Love to see LEGEND Kelela on here :clap3: but also Lorde, Kendrick, Kesha, Kimbra and LCD Soundsystem. Legends only, truly. :'(

Talent always wins! I still need a bit more time to enjoy the Kelela record tbh

On 12/25/2017 at 1:13 PM, MP2K said:

I don't really get the love for Undercover on this board or with critics lol
Your also loved tracks by Kelela are amazing, good picks.
Kendrick, Little Dragon, LCD, Lorde I love of course.
I've been slacking on my baby Kimbra
The rest of the L section I;ve never really heard before, might check a few out.

Mess I actually thought I was alone in the Undercover love & other people liked other tracks

As long as you check out Primal Heart when it's out Queen of Sampling her Moaning (see Sweet Relief) will forgive

I think of the L's you don't know you would like maybe the stuff from LPX!

22 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

There's a certain track missing for your Kelela Highlights :gaycat3:

I like Lindstrom but I think he's needs to explore some new areas, 

The Lorde highlight is something new, it's usually GL/Supercut or Homemade. 

Hmm :gaycat3: Ooh I'm glad to be doing something different. I haven't seen as much love for Homemade as I would have expected. Same for The Louvre! I feel so many people loved that one when the record came out

22 hours ago, Lazuli said:

Kelela, Kendrick, LCD :clap3:

Boogie Feet for your Kesha highlight? :huh: Strange

The Killers :heart2: 

You got the Lorde one right! :worship: 

I kinda figured it'd be a rare pick lol Let 'Em Talk being a bit more obvious - but it's so fun! It's like the good parts of old Kesha hung out with new Kesha.

10 hours ago, madonnas said:

I agree 1000% with your Kesha picks, Let em Talk and Boogie Feet are among her best songs.  Supernatural/Dinosaur/Cmon level greatness.

Interesting Kelela picks, why don't yew like Altadena and Blue Light as much?

You need to listen to Lydia's older album!  It's better, like a lot better but Ricochet and Spinning are bops.

I never really listened to Kesha tracks before oops :fan: Oh wait, no I like Dinosaur. I like Blue Light too! Just those other ones more - Altadena I just haven't listened to as much. I'll put Lydia's debut on my list to check out!

8 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

Cruel is one of the three good songs on Kacy's album kii

Take Me Apart is one of the weaker songs on the record but still a slay, look at the state of that

Tightrope is probably my least fave of her solo sings yet but its still cute

High, Good Girls, Boogie Feet :clap3:

and yeah, like madonnas said Lydias debut is muuuch better than Darling

I'm happy most people agree with me on Cruel :cm:

Mess thanks - yeah I feel Tremble is the more popular one of all the LPX records. Slide I'm still getting into since it's newer.

5 hours ago, AlexisNeiers said:

Mess @ Giphy cancelling their sponsorship nn;

Ibeyi's album was a one big snooze, I don't get the praise they're receiving :zzz:

My favs from the few last updates are probs Kelela, K-Dot and Lorde :clap3:

Lydia Ainsworth is a talentless rat btw :)

LMFAO I decided I didn't want to sell out anymore for the money - MUSIC NOT THE BLING

I totallllyyyy agree with Ibeyi.

disheihvruijw why do you not like her :deadbanana: 

M:

Mac DeMarco - My Old Man

(I'm sad this got overshadowed by This Old Dog. :emofish: I get it though, the guitar could be a bit repetitive of this one whatever. I really like this one though, and I can kinda relate, though Mac's dad seems... not good which is a shame. I thought the record was okay!)

• Also Love: This Old Dog, Wolf Who Wears Sheep's Clothing, One More Love Song, On the Level
  • Don't Like: For the First Time (idk why)

Majid Jordan - One I Want (feat. PARTYNEXTDOOR)

(I do not like PARTYNEXTDOOR really, so I was quite surprised to find myself liking this song. Not sure why it's my fave either! I'd say this album, compared to the debut, is much better overall. However I do enjoy the highs of the debut a bit more (Small Talk still being my fave of theirs).)

• Also Love: Phases, Not Ashamed, Sleep, My Imagination (feat. dvsn), Body Talk
  • Don't Like: Actually just the title track

mansionz - Wicked (feat. G-Eazy)

(I HAAAAATE Mike Posner, so when I found out he was one-half of this project (blackbear being the other half), I was pretty shook. Though this song in particular is definitely more blackbear lol. This song is such a ****ing jam & G-Eazy's part is actually okay. The "keep your distance from her..." I thiiiink is my favorite bit. The rest of the album... half I liked, the other half meh.)

• Also Love: My Beloved (which is funny cuz this, and that xx song from this year, sample the same song lol), Strip Club, Dennis Rodman
  • Don't Like: Meh everything else

Miguel - Told You So

(Bit of a basic pick (sorry) but it's a jam and I was hooked immediately. I like the rest of the album too!)

• Also Love: Skywalker (good timing too), Banana Clip, Caramelo Duro, City of Angels
  • Don't Like: You know even though it's jazzy, I'm not that into the "Come Through and Chill" track

Misterwives - Chasing This

(YES I actually listened to their record... And yes I'm in the minority that vastly prefers it over their debut. It honestly captures what they tried to do with the debut (aka the upbeat jam of Reflections, but with a little deeper lyrics) and takes it that next step. This one's my favorite because I just love how it's both a "**** you" to people who said they wouldn't make it, and an apology to the people they haven't seen due to chasing their dream. Plus it's so fun!)

• Also Love: Machine, Only Humnan, Oh Love, Let the Light In (LOOOOVE this one, awesome closer)
  • Don't Like: None!

- Linking With You

(I love this EP that she released. Definitely not a bad track on there. I'd say the chorus is my favorite bit of this... or maybe the bridge. I really love the "all that I do" back & forth with herself.)

• Also Love: Turn My Heart to Stone, When I Was Young, Bb, Roots
  • Don't Like: I mean none but if I had to pick a least favorite it would be Run Away

Moon Boots - Keep the Faith (feat. Nic Hanson)

(I just listened to this album yesterday and it's good! This song is my favorite because it sways in and out of bossa nova & house music. I like the dude's voice too. Check them out!)

• Also Love: Fortune Teller, Never Getting to You, Power
  • Don't Like: None but I've only listened to this once SOOO idk

Mount Eerie - Real Death

(Instead of talking about the song/album, let me tell you a story. I was at WORK and it was a slow day - I checked out the new music for the week and this just came out & I only saw that the record was getting good reviews & didn't know the backstory. I put this track on and almost ****ing cried at work. So... yeah.)

• Also Love: I can't
  • Don't Like: I just can't

MUNA - Around U

(Here's a rare pick, huh? This one for some reason was my instant favorite from the record, but NO ONE ELSE seems to even like it at all lol oops. I think my favorite is the end of the bridge back into the chorus "something massive happened here" and the production leaps back in. ALSO does anyone else think they sound like the girl from Highasakite? You don't know who Highasakite are? ..... oh.)

• Also Love: Loudspeaker (ANOTHER ****ing underrated one!), I Know a Place, Crying on the Bathroom Floor, Everything
  • Don't Like: Winterbreak, If U Love Me Now

Mura Masa - helpline (feat. Tom Tripp)

(I forgot how much I enjoyed this record. I think this song has my favorite production from the record because there's no big spike or trend following (not really that I think he was trend following I feel like he was leading the steel drum thing if anything). The singer is super British too and the whole song is just really British. Love it! "Giiiiina... I know that I felt fine..." I think homeboy's hungover, woo been there)

• Also Love: 1 Night, Love$ick, What If I Go?, Second to None, Nothing Else, Nuggets
  • Don't Like: I was expecting to be more into the AK Paul & Damon songs :emofish: I don't dislike them I guess... I was just underwhelmed. 

Mac :heart2: Watching Him Fade Away is missing tho! 

Mount Eerie :cries: 

• Also Love: I can't
  • Don't Like: I just can't

:toofunny2: 

Miguel did absolutely incredible this year :jonny: third amazing cohesive album :clap3: whew

Told You So is a bop :katie2:

MO :clap3: WIWY was great, since it's amazing mix of old and new sound :clap3:

Mura Masa is great too :alexz: Second to None and 1 Night :jonny:

Another Helpline stan, whew. :clap3: 

Didn't use Miguel much this time (probably should revisit though) but Told You So is a bop. Linking With You is probably my fav on the EP too, but yeah it's all solid. Around U is good but Everything >>>

aw, I liked the title track of Majid.
Miguel's album came too late, I couldn't give it a listen at the time and even when compling my lists. I didn't have time for king.
Misterwives - I;m over them.
I liked other songs from MUNA, mainly the singles.

19 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

disheihvruijw why do you not like her :deadbanana: 

On 17.12.2017 at 0:56 AM, AlexisNeiers said:

I HATED that Lydia record omg :skull: It was like a worse and even more tryhard version of a BANKS album. I saw her supporting Perfume Genius and I literally wanted to die. She might have lipped too :skull:

:cm:

Anyway, Mac's album was a forgettable snoozefest :zzz: And speaking of disappointments, Miguel's album wasn't that good either (although it had some highlights)

Mount Eerie tho :weeps:

Oooh I only just realised you praised Kygo and Bonnie McKee's "Riding Shotgun"! :duca: 

Such a legendary track - Bonnie's bright, chirpy voice is perfect on the track!

k i just wrote replies to everyone but ATRL is being **** lemme just spam a bit until we're on page 5

fackatrl.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.