(T thru Z) Ewan Chaos's Best of 2017

Ewan Chaos

giphy.gif

Hello friends and foes!

No intro here because this is way too last minute - just a reminder that ya boi Ewan is so indecisive and loves to do his A-Z collection of musicians he liked throughout the year.

I hope I have time to finish this! My new rule for this year is to include a gif of each musician included - I will also try to only include a musician if I liked AT LEAST two+ songs from them. Unless I really loved the song. Then they're being included.

Thank you and please link me to your Best Of so I can comment/follow!

b7yIZiJ.gif

(Please note: Giphy does not actually sponsor this Best Of (but if any yall reading from that website & wanna pay me I will accept). Not all gifs taken from Giphy. No gifs were harmed in the making of this Best Of. Thank you.)

(EDIT: Giphy has pulled out ( :eli: ) of my Best Of due to.... uh homophobia, so I hope you enjoy the GIF-less format anyway

Edited by Ewan Chaos

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• Lazuli

• Tom Vercetti

• TheWayWeWere

• ATRL Moderator

Love your lists cause its never just a simple ranking! 

mZ7yz7v.gif

AFI

afi GIF

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Pink Eyes
  • This Year: I've never listened to these guys before, but I thought this record was kinda cool. Took me back to my 2007 days where I wasn't emo but enjoyed some emo songs. 
  • I Also Enjoyed: Aurelia, Still a Stranger
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Actually N/A, can't think of anything I actively disliked here.

Alison Krauss

bassist GIF

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Losing You
  • This Year: Again, never listened to an Alison record before (I knew some of her songs before). This was a good country (is she country) record, and a nice new listen for the beginning of the year. This song caught my attention immediately because of its emotion & I love the instrumentation.
  • I Also Enjoyed: All Alone Am I, It's Goodbye and So Long to You, You Don't Know Me
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Solid record! Nothing I disliked

Allan Rayman

music video GIF by Allan Rayman

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Head Over Heels
  • This Year: Dude kiiiinda gives me JMSN teas but also not at all. I like his gritty voice and while the album was a bit... I guess samey to the point where I never came back to it, there's true gems like this one. I really dig the James Dean/beauty queen even if it's a bit corny.
  • I Also Enjoyed: December (really really great feat), Repeat (Jessie Reyez, the up and comer), God is a Woman
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Left Alone

Allie X

tumblr_op6jldtWIl1v9dpqro1_500.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Vintage
  • This Year: I liked this A LOT less than the EP from last year :/ Oh well. Still a dece body of work. I like this one because it was a bit subdued and I like the synths, particularly in the chorus. The bridge is cool too.
  • I Also Enjoyed: That's so Us (it's so... young modern love), Casanova (haven't decided if I actually dislike this one or not lol), Lifted
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Simon Says, Downtown

Amber Coffman

Amber Coffman Beach GIF by Columbia Records

Spoiler

• Song Choice: No Coffee
  • This Year: Dirty Projectors LOST! Sorry meninist hipsters! :-* Really though, I really loved this record! It definitely has that Dirty Projectors feel (obviously, with Dave being a part of it) which is a bit strange but works. The lyrics touch different subjects and her voice sounds great. No Coffee in particular is a beautiful little 90's almost jazzy, cafe-esque, beach-side jam that you can't deny is super catchy
  • I Also Enjoyed: All By Myself (the perfect walking around song and makes me feel so empowered "All I want is to feel strong"), City of No Reply (relatable & also great production), Miss You, Nobody Knows, Kindness, If You Want my Heart
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Honestly none, but I listen to Dark Night the least
Edited by Ewan Chaos

AFI have better albums than the one they released this year (like sing the sorrow). I peeped Allan after u mentioned JMSN, and his voice is much grittier. Top choice for Allie X. Her album was hot for a minute. I wanted to like Amber's album more than I did but I do like Hot Coffee. 

Yeah was hoping Allie's album would be better, but there is still some good stuff on there.

Losing You is a lovely song. Allie's album got old after about three plays, only Vintage and That's So Us were worth keeping imo so agree on those being your highs.

I like Alisson's music, but this new album didn't work for me at all, Paper Airplane >>>>

So Long to You was my favorite tho

Last five for the A's here, then bed, then I'll review everyone else's Best Of's tomorrow!

Amber Mark

Image result for amber mark gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Monsoon (feat. Mia Mark)
  • This Year: A super cute EP! I heard the Can you hear me song first which I also really like, but this song is super touching. The "hallo hallo hallo" part always kinda makes me laugh, but yeah the rest of the sampling makes me want to cry.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Can You Hear Me, Way Back, S P A C E
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Nada!

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness

Image result for Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Walking in My Sleep
  • This Year: I never listened to this guy's band or whatevs but my friend & her boyfriend loved this record & saw him live so I checked it out. LOVED this one immediately with the "Sleeeeeeep, sleeeeeep" hook.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Don't Speak for Me, So Close, Island Radio
  • I Didn't Enjoy: The rest was kinda meh to me

Anna of the North

Anna-crop-gif.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Feels
  • This Year: The best song called Feels that came out this year! It's so groovy, roll down the window while driving down the freeway, love. I weirdly get CHRVCHES vibes in the chorus. I've been waiting for a while for Anna to release a record and this one didn't disappoint.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Someone, Baby, Moving On, Fire
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Always (only one I'm not big on)

Aquilo

giphy.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Low Light
  • This Year: This was a random "Spotify Weekly" find. I think it's really pretty & I love the song progression. While the album cover is GORGEOUS, the rest of the album was kinda.... meh.
  • I Also Enjoyed: All I Ever Wanted, Never Hurt Again
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Eh kinda the rest

Arcade Fire

everything-now.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Everything Now
  • This Year: This album was BAD. Like.... I never listened to it again LOL. I like the title track (with intro) & the few listed below but... man.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Electric Blue, Put Your Money on Me
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Chemistry is TRASH that's all I feel the need to put down here
Edited by Ewan Chaos

Oh! I was going something like this but I'm such a lazy bitch :clap3: 

Stan Amber M! have you heard Heatwave? a BOP! perched for S tho :gaycat3:

• ATRL Moderator

Agree with your Allie X assessment.  Simon Says sounds like Melanie martinez and that's some scary ****!!

I actually liked DP's album more than Amber's even if I know she's in the right lol.

• ATRL Moderator

So happy someone else stans for Amber Mark :alexz: 3:33am was EVERYTHING

Neither DP nor Amber won this year :sorry: I agree that Everything Now was horrid, this 1-2-3-4 punch of pure awfulness with Peter Pan, Chemistry and both parts of Infinite Content :deadbanana2:

just listened Amber Mark EP after seeing her in many best-ofs, it's pretty good :eek:

I think these damn gifs are gonna kill my computer :deadbanana: Oh well. 12 picks for the B artists, I'll try to reply to comments!

BAIO

Image result for baio gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: PHILOSOPHY!
  • This Year: This one part of Vampire Weekend dude is... okay. He opened for St. Lucia last year and was pretty dece. This album was overall meh. I like this song though! Good production in particular.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Out of Tune, Be Mine
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Shame in the Name, DANGEROUE ANAMAL

BANKS

tumblr_n2d97hiKVX1ql36e2o1_500.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Underdog
  • This Year: A jam! A bit more upbeat for her I feel? I enjoy it though. Give some more of this and you'll have a lovely album. We'll see, right?
  • I Also Enjoyed: N/a
  • I Didn't Enjoy: N/a

The Barr Brothers 

brothers chuckle GIF

(I couldn't find a gif idk this don't fit at all LOL)

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Song That I Heard
  • This Year: I honestly recently gave this song a listen - loved it - saved it - haven't listened to the album until today. I like the album! This one's still my favorite prob because I knew it before. Very good bearded hipster guitar music (that makes no sense to me but I'm sticking to it)
  • I Also Enjoyed: Defibrillation, Kompromat, Queen of the Breakers
  • I Didn't Enjoy: None yet!

BETSY

music video GIF by Betsy

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Fair
  • This Year: Yes I eventually realized this came out last year but it's on the debut record so whatever. The record was alright. I never really went back to it. I like a dramatic song like this & it suits her voice quite a bit. She's also quite gorgeous.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Body Burn, Little White Lies, Last Time We Danced
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Eh the rest off the record I guess

Betty Who

mama say GIF by Betty Who

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Mama Say
  • This Year: This song is a ****ing BOP AND A HALF. All the best like... 90's pop production, Britney-like lyrics, the chorus (esp after the breathing), the ****ing BRIDGE is a slay... sorry I just love this track. I think the whole record was pretty good - not amazing but pretty good! She's awesome live too - a lot of fun. "YOU. LOVE. A. PRETTY. GIIIIIRL." Oof I'm dancing again
  • I Also Enjoyed: You Can Cry Tomorrow, Some Kinda Wonderful (yeah yeah people don't like it but it's also a jam), Make You Memories
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Blue Heaven Midnight Crush (wtf does that mean), Human Touch (a ****ty version of a bad AlunaGeorge song, sorry I hate this one a lot)

Bibio

giphy.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Town & Country
  • This Year: I'm cheating doing this because this record came out last year & Bibio released an okay instrumental record this year, but I LOVE this album. I was in Iceland in October & the loft hostel I was at had a GREAT playlist (him, Rhye, Dirty Projectors, Blood Orange, etc), and it had this guy who I never heard before. This song just makes me take a deep breath & feel happy. Now it always reminds me of Iceland.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Why So Serious, Gasoline & Mirrors, Petals, C'est la Vie, Raxiera, A Mineral Love
  • I Didn't Enjoy: N/A!

Last bit!

Bishop Briggs

182a19e52777e4ba16acee9676b7a0d4.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Dream
  • This Year: Keep it up girl! I wasn't big on your EP if I'm entirely honest but I'm still enjoying River and I'm HOOKED to this song. Hoping for an awesome debut album next year.
  • I Also Enjoyed: N/A
  • I Didn't Enjoy: N/A

Bjõrk

tumblr_ois6bvluKP1u3lvimo1_500.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Utopia
  • This Year: You'll have to forgive me because I don't listen to Bjork much (her music isn't really for me I feel... idk), but I found interest in the record when she said there was a lot of use of flutes in the music. I really enjoy that! Not sure why I like it the most in this song, but hey, there you go.
  • I Also Enjoyed: Blissing Me, Claimstaker, Courtship
  • I Didn't Enjoy: None I guess

blackbear

tumblr_or1cmpDcWR1w5ibg4o1_500.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: hell is where i dreamt of u and woke up alone
  • This Year: Dude's lyrics are kinda wack huh? I love the production though & his voice is pretty cool. Not sure why this one was my favorite, maybe the mix of the piano & the intense lyrics.
  • I Also Enjoyed: make daddy proud (again the lyrics are so... but I love the steel drum & production), wish u the best, juicy sweatsuits
  • I Didn't Enjoy: chateau, do re mi (which I feel is overrated)

Bleachers

Related image

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Everybody Lost Somebody
  • This Year: Obviously his productions on other musicians was better than his own stuff, but I feel the critical mostly panning made people forget the actual good songs on this record. This one's my favorite - I love the delivery of the lyrics in the chorus in the beginning/end of the song from that woman, the lyrics in the chorus, the sax, etc.
  • I Also Enjoyed: I Miss Those Days, Hate That You Know Me (Queen of saving songs), 
  • I Didn't Enjoy: Either Micky Mantle songs, Nothing Is U, All My Heroes, Goodbye

Bonobo

bonobo-2.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Break Apart (feat. Rhye)
  • This Year: A cute album that I only listened to once. This song was my favorite - Rhye & Bonobo go well together!
  • I Also Enjoyed: Surface
  • I Didn't Enjoy: I honestly don't recall

BØRNS

tumblr_ov03krY8fs1rx3420o1_r1_500.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: Faded Heart
  • This Year: This song kinda had a mix of everything I enjoyed from his debut! I forgot to listen to the other songs that are out so I'll just wait until the record is out next year and let you know how I feel about them then!
  • I Also Enjoyed: N/A
  • I Didn't Enjoy: N/A

BRÅVES 

tumblr_okvyocdZqX1rshkivo1_r1_540.gif

Spoiler

• Song Choice: A Toast
  • This Year: This song is a ****ing banger!! Especially the chorus, come on. Love that gritty voice, the heavy production, the lyrics, the alcohol references... JUST LOVE. The rest of the record... I don't remember!
  • I Also Enjoyed: Best Kept Secret, Survive
  • I Didn't Enjoy: N/A I guess!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.