PLATINUM HIT 11▴ congratulations aurora ♛

Jackson

well it's looking like results will be tomorrow night with the finale posted shortly after, let's make sure it actually happens judges!

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ultraviolence.xx

• Jackson

• UFO

• ceremonials

i can’t believe it’s almost over. ? even if i don’t make it to the finale it’s ok because i don’t think i made it this far last season hihi ??‍♂️

well the good news is i have stranger things to distract me

the bad news is i won’t for much longer 

Edited by ultraviolence.xx

2 minutes ago, SaintWest said:

i can’t believe it’s almost over. ? even if i don’t make it to the finale it’s ok because i don’t think i made it this far last season hihi ??‍♂️

mte :) 

51 minutes ago, Jackson said:

well it's looking like results will be tomorrow night with the finale posted shortly after, let's make sure it actually happens judges!

ok ill just do mine tomorrow then x. i get out of class at like 130EST so it should be an hour or so after then. At work 4pm EST bc I have class again then.

ill update your reviews a bit too @Hug and @Tsareena since they were short/sloppy! :duck:

23 minutes ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

mte :) 

you're both making it to the finale :clap3:

if it were up to me

2 minutes ago, ceremonials said:

you're both making it to the finale :clap3:

if it were up to me

wow thank you :'( 

you might change your mind once you read slash hear my song this week

1 minute ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

wow thank you :'( 

you might change your mind once you read slash hear my song this week

we were ALL rooting for you

1 minute ago, ceremonials said:

:'( 

2 minutes ago, ceremonials said:

:heart2: 

2 minutes ago, SaintWest said:

this. 

wait you actually kind of liked my song this week didn’t you? slay a bit

is this a cruel halloween trick designed to make us more nervous

because if so it's definitely working

1 hour ago, SaintWest said:

bitch you won last season

don't listen to the fads trying to discredit your win they're just jelly

well classes got cancelled today! so i'll do my reviews this morning

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Gastrodonatella said:

hey hi hello yo what's up my oh me oh boy what's word

Of late I've no one  I'm from New York  My oh mi amor Who told you you could, look so good?

tumblr_inline_ooodzaPdp51r5owau_500.gif

mIkvXNK.png

@Hug – Nine of Diamonds

The very specific allusions in the first verse were cute, and they added a sense of personality to the song (despite the 3:21/ironic thing being a mess even with the explanation). This kind of reads as a I Knew You Were Trouble type song where the whole betrayal thing is kind of exaggerated and dramatized in the chorus compared to the events that seemingly actually happened. The “lost yourself a friend” line was a bit juvenile in comparison, but I liked “but a poker face is priceless”. Overall this was one of your weaker entries, but there were things I really liked about it still. The bridge was a highlight and the one place where I felt as though you successfully melded your metaphor and the feelings you were trying to convey.

@Tsareena – Sunflower

This started off very avant-garde and I was here for it. “No more pulling at my petals” was v cute. Logically, the second half doesn’t quite make sense (“pick up my root”?), and “rejected her fruit” erred on the side of forced. The chorus was great and felt really poppy and anthemic. In the second verse, “died” was a little blunt for the tone of the song. “Eden is anywhere she’s not” was probably my favorite line overall, but it was unfortunately paired with “distraught”. The extended chorus was great as well, and I love the way the song began and ended in a similar fashion. As a whole, this was one of my favorites from you this season.

@MattyTacos – Beast

“A love story between two people who meet once a year to have sex” mkay. Are you into bestiality? From a consumer’s perspective, the main issue I could have with this is the overt sexuality of the song combined with the animal themes, which are a bit unnerving. Poetically this is great. The song flowed very nicely. “Their eyes always make peace” probably could have been phrased a bit better, as well as “so he can play his moral compass”. Considering it’s Halloween, this was a good themed entry! Everything you’ve submitted the past few weeks has been a huge improvement, so I’m glad you stuck around long enough this season to show us what you’re worth.

@mxtthewdelrey – Sulphur

The description ff. The whole first verse was kind of full of forced rhymes, as if you were trying to make up for your lack of rhyming last round. I’m wondering what the point of the titular line is? Are you just using Sulphur because it’s an element that exists in chemistry, or is there a reason you chose that element specifically? The “so wool, so wool” line was kind of cringe. It felt like each verse got progressively worse tbh. This song felt a little parody-ish. I’m not surprised you went for a typically mxtt song the week after a win, but from my perspective it left a lot to be desired, and a lot wanting to be forgotten.

@ultraviolence.xx – Worlds Apart

WOW! You submitted a title in caps for the first time ever. Am truly shocked. Is your instrumental like an acoustic version of Ghost by Katy Perry? Also, who tf sang that? It’s too good. Anyway, your song. It was conflicting in a few ways. Its simplicity both hindered and accentuated the lyrics in ways. I liked “tell me about your hotel room” and “these lonely nights and bright city lights”, but many of the other lines seemed filler. As a song, it works, and I can tell because I can actually hear the song. But lyrically, it wasn’t really anything extraordinary. There were a few highlights, however, like the second verse and bridge. Thematically the song was unique, and probably not something I’ve read before, so points for that, but some of the more mundane lines could have been spiced up more.

@Aurora – Digging Your Grave

Wow, what a FLOW. I was bopping by “antidote”. Do “cure” and “more” rhyme in Australian English? Because they don’t in America. “Crypt” is always an A+ word. Like Matty, also props for a thematically appropriate entry. I’m assuming you spelled holy wrong to insinuate that the person has bullet holes? The last couplet of the chorus gives me necrophilia teas. As much as I liked the first verse, the second was much better, and had a much more playful tone and flow that I would have liked to see throughout. “Welcome to your funeral” was a great opening line. The bridge was fantastic as well, although I had to google tryst and the last couplet also doesn’t rhyme. Anyway, you win this round as usual.

@SaintWest – Kite

Did pears ghostwrite this? If not, props to you for your stylistic diversity this season. Elated is one of my favorite words. The last three lines of the verse were awesome, and a really interesting way to word a common subject matter. Logically the “town too small” line doesn’t really work, but I like what it means so I’ll give you a pass on it. The chorus was perfect, and I love the way the mood shifted from dreary and hopeless to bursting with colors and full of life. The “desperate to find me” line could have been replaced in the second verse. I take back what I said to Sam though, you win this round.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

LOVESICK – Choose One

Matty – As his bloodstream goes straight to my head? What yall sharing blood or something? Nice language here, and the last line was wig snatching.

Tsareena – “Being with him an endless bliss” sis I think you forgot a verb. I liked the “laugh track” line, but the verse felt overall disjointed.

Mxtt – aklsjdlka not you randomly putting the French word for cake in there. The man/mouse line was messy, as was the Lebanese line.

Overall – Messy, but in different ways for each of you. Matty’s verse shined the brightest by far. The prechorus and chorus were fairly good, and I like the overall dangerous woman type feel of this.

HAUS – Haus of Cards

Hug – “Your talk’s so cheap it couldn’t buy me a drink” WOW drag, totally want to appropriate that line for a song someday. I’m not sure what they “hey!” is covering up? Maybe I’m too innocent. The “played at home” line was so close to being genius.

Aurora – Not you being the new PH rap girl. “The” in the third line was unnecessary. I loved the “suit of black” line. Flow-wise, the second half of the verse faltered a bit and wasn’t quite as strong as the rap in your personal entry.

Uvie – Not jawline in the first line. That probably should have been deleted. The last couplet was the best part, and while the rest was OK, it was really hard to recover from that first line.

Saint – The brow line could have been rephrased. “To and fro” was a little messy for a song wanting to be taken seriously. You recovered a bit by the second half.

Overall – This group name is so gay n. Cute though. And VERY cute concept. I like that both groups took a similar route as far as tone goes. The chorus was really strong and a good bridge between the verses, and although you didn’t really need to make the verses flow into each other, you did which was a bonus. Hug’s verse was the standout, but none of them were bad.

Ahhhhhh i knew I was gonna get dragged :ahh:

my verse in Choose One was by far my favourite part of the week. It makes my eyes water reading it. such a cackle

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, Jackson said:

@Tsareena – Sunflower

This started off very avant-garde and I was here for it. “No more pulling at my petals” was v cute. Logically, the second half doesn’t quite make sense (“pick up my root”?), and “rejected her fruit” erred on the side of forced. The chorus was great and felt really poppy and anthemic. In the second verse, “died” was a little blunt for the tone of the song. “Eden is anywhere she’s not” was probably my favorite line overall, but it was unfortunately paired with “distraught”. The extended chorus was great as well, and I love the way the song began and ended in a similar fashion. As a whole, this was one of my favorites from you this season.

:gaycat2: aww thanks Jackson

8 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Tsareena – “Being with him an endless bliss” sis I think you forgot a verb. I liked the “laugh track” line, but the verse felt overall disjointed.

artistic license. the line didn't need a verb to be understood 

also why do all the song titles this week kinda feel cohesive cause of the simplicity? like wouldn't this be a snatch of an album

1. Haus of Cards

2. Nine of Diamonds

3. Beast

4. Sulphur

5. Choose One

6. Worlds Apart

7. Digging Your Grave

8. Kite

9. Sunflower

10. Haus of Cards / Choose One (Tommy Sunshine's Smash-up)

:jonny:

23 minutes ago, Jackson said:

@Hug – Nine of Diamonds

The very specific allusions in the first verse were cute, and they added a sense of personality to the song (despite the 3:21/ironic thing being a mess even with the explanation). This kind of reads as a I Knew You Were Trouble type song where the whole betrayal thing is kind of exaggerated and dramatized in the chorus compared to the events that seemingly actually happened. The “lost yourself a friend” line was a bit juvenile in comparison, but I liked “but a poker face is priceless”. Overall this was one of your weaker entries, but there were things I really liked about it still. The bridge was a highlight and the one place where I felt as though you successfully melded your metaphor and the feelings you were trying to convey.

Although I suppose it does seem melodramatic if they just stole their stuff, I didn't want to do the faux edgy thing like I did last round, because I thought it would end up either being melodramatic or cliched/cheesy.

Also, mess I...do hope this was stronger than Hug's Manifesto or I'll Be There, because they're both among my worst entries in the last 3 seasons I've played. :rip: 

26 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Hug – “Your talk’s so cheap it couldn’t buy me a drink” WOW drag, totally want to appropriate that line for a song someday. I’m not sure what they “hey!” is covering up? Maybe I’m too innocent. The “played at home” line was so close to being genius.

Wow stan a bit, the way I thought people would take it like a corny joke a la "I'm so cheap, I can't even pay attention!", but it's nice my corniness wasn't taken that way. I also thought that the line with "deck" before it was a good hint nyhbgvc though "deck" and "dick" really aren't rhymes so I can't fault you for that. Also, I was worried about the played at home line. I wanted the idea to be that it was a lot less risky to play Blackjack at home, where the stakes were lower/non-existent, but it didn't really land I guess. I did have some worries about it, but nobody else said anything so I just went with it. Still, nothing is implicitly safer about playing Blackjack at home, so it's one of those things that made more sense in my head.

29 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Overall – This group name is so gay n. Cute though. And VERY cute concept. I like that both groups took a similar route as far as tone goes. The chorus was really strong and a good bridge between the verses, and although you didn’t really need to make the verses flow into each other, you did which was a bonus. Hug’s verse was the standout, but none of them were bad.

Okay, wig. Let me pray this can somehow save me from elimination :shakeno: 

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Corsola said:

'' Do “cure” and “more” rhyme in Australian English?''

I'm not sure how it's meant to be said but I imagine it's something like this?

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0KmsvgCEEpa

the selena vocals :alexz:. won't cure/ more be seen as like slight rhymes with r ending?

• ATRL Moderator
20 minutes ago, mxtthewdelrey said:

also why do all the song titles this week kinda feel cohesive cause of the simplicity? like wouldn't this be a snatch of an album

1. Haus of Cards

2. Nine of Diamonds

3. Beast

4. Sulphur

5. Choose One

6. Worlds Apart

7. Digging Your Grave

8. Kite

9. Sunflower

10. Haus of Cards / Choose One (Tommy Sunshine's Smash-up)

:jonny:

PH 11: The 10 of 10 Collection is coming :jonny3: 

• ATRL Moderator

I'm glad I took Hug's advice to edit out the 4th verse of my song. Would have been lashed for it 

tumblr_oxmfzhVh4v1vqgr3so1_500.png