• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fruity

• Communion

• Thickorita

• doonerr

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Fruity said:

Those tracks charted high on the sales chart because people wanted to pay £9 for 9 of the tracks, rather than £14 for the album full of 16 tracks.

That is the exact problem that the digital era has caused :skull: It is still the album that was popular, it just so happens that the consumer would rather pay less their 9 favourite songs, not that fussed about the remaining 7. Which causes ALL tracks to chart high on the sales chart. That's not the point behind a singles chart.

The theoretical gymnastics y'all are pushing. :rip:

This doesn't make any sense :rip:

Billboard needs to impliment something similar. Taylor, Nicki, Drake, etc. are shook. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEDRz5BxUJY6IFSglpNgw

45 minutes ago, Fruity said:

People were listening to the album as a whole, not that song as a single entity

im conflicted but this is important

5 minutes ago, Communion said:

The theoretical gymnastics y'all are pushing. :rip:

That's obviously the case though. People cherry pick their favourites on release week.

Hence why these songs are nowhere to be seen in the singles chart during the following weeks, because the wider UK audience does not actually care about those songs on a week to week basis. A select group cared on album release week.

This should be reflected on the album chart, not the singles chart.

57 minutes ago, shark_heather said:

I don't get it . only 3 songs are allowed from an album at the same time ? Or in general ?

Like if the artist releases a 4th single it wont chart ?

And for example now Little Mix they have Shout out , Touch , No more sad songs and Power charting

What are they gonna do ? remove one of the three ? and which one ?

And if they release another single it wont chart until there are only 2 charting ? Or the lowest one will be automatically removed ?

I think it's just for album songs and not singles.

3 minutes ago, Fruity said:

That's obviously the case though. People cherry pick their favourites on release week.

Hence why these songs are nowhere to be seen in the singles chart during the following weeks, because the wider UK audience does not actually care about those songs on a week to week basis. A select group cared on album release week.

This should be reflected on the album chart, not the singles chart.

But they're still VALID individual purchases that will in theory be thrown out from the chart.

Does the UK even do TEA on its album chart? Are we going to the count those 7 purchased album tracks as .7 an album purchase? You'll have just as many people going "this is the ALBUM chart, not the TRACKS EQUIVALENT TO ALBUMS chart!". 

It makes more sense to just let album tracks chart than find a way to move them somewhere else because you have a gut-feeling that you can look into the purchasers' or streamers' minds and sense the intention of their habits as a consumer.

Edited by Communion

That makes no sense? What if an album has 4 singles?

I wish Germany would count Streams in the charts.

This would make things easier.

2 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

How does it not make sense?

Taylor Swift, Nicki, Drake, GLEE snatching Hot 100 entry records left and right, with the majority only charting for 1 or 2 weeks is not the tea. 

Billboard sis, get to it.

tumblr_inline_ojkro0L2iH1qbhm7a_500.gif

23 minutes ago, Sinister said:

Before streaming was included...the average song spent like one week at #1 in the UK

Like 30+ #1s every year

Billboard>>>

:confused: i was talking about airplay though. It only increases corruption and manipulation of charts by labels.

14 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

this rule means only 3 song can chart at the same week.

single releases are usually 2~3 months apart from each other.

so 4th single release will be 8~12 months since first single.

and by that time, I'm sure first single is off the chart or at the very bottome of the chart.

they're trying to make recurrent rule + single release driven chart.

Why not make a chart just for non-single tracks?

1 hour ago, Fruity said:

I know it's not ideal but we don't want an all Ed Sheeran top 10 every time he releases an album.

even if those songs are most popular in that week, sold the most and streamed the most?

on that part we will have manipulated charts like 

1 song 100 streams 100 sales

2 song 90 streams 90 sales

3 song 80+80

4 song 70+70 but it is the same artist so there will be some flop song that have less than 70 sales and 70 streams  and that will be false chart because it won't be number 4 song in country.

19 minutes ago, Communion said:

But they're still VALID individual purchases that will in theory be thrown out from the chart.

True which is why I understand/sympathise with your point of view :michael: 

But I explained why I don't think they should chart as a single, it's a singles chart.

19 minutes ago, Communion said:

Does the UK even do TEA on its album chart? Are we going to the count those 7 purchased album tracks as .7 an album purchase? You'll have just as many people going "this is the ALBUM chart, not the TRACKS EQUIVALENT TO ALBUMS chart!". 

Yes the UK does TEA, so 7 tracks would be 0.7 of an album.

They're trying to find the best way to identify the blurred line between singles and albums in the digital era.

Obviously people are going to complain because it's not an easy issue.

21 minutes ago, Communion said:

It makes more sense to just let album tracks chart than find a way to move them somewhere else because you have a gut-feeling that you can look into the purchasers' or streamers' minds and sense the intention of their habits as a consumer.

Consumer behaviour is fairly predictable, and I trust they looked into the issue a lot before they made the decision.

1 hour ago, Thickorita said:

Would have been good to have before it ruined CTTR's chart run in the UK but it's kind of messy. If those tracks are more popular than some people's singles, I don't know why they shouldn't be able to chart.

they are already contributing to the SPS

I don't think uk chart do TEA.

they ahould just stop double conting streaming in both single and album chart for album tracks.

let only 2 single have double counting (since they don't use top 2 song's streams directly but avg of album tracks)

1. Take the total number of streams from the album each week

2. Divide them by the number of songs on the album to get a rough average of how many times the whole album was listened to

3. Take any song that sold above the average taken from #2

4. Subtract the average from said song's total streams

5. Only count those streams towards the singles chart

Pretty simple

2 hours ago, lhdang2000 said:

That's stupid for me tho. A chart should be a scale on how popular the songs are. If the album tracks are popular, they should be on the chart.

2 hours ago, Thickorita said:

Would have been good to have before it ruined CTTR's chart run in the UK but it's kind of messy. If those tracks are more popular than some people's singles, I don't know why they shouldn't be able to chart.

2 hours ago, The7thStranger said:

Somebody's going to release their new album as a bunch of singles at the same time, I swear it.

Your faves are all so iconic

1 hour ago, GypsyLAMB said:

Your faves are all so iconic

I see talent in your sig as well. :clap3:

4 hours ago, lhdang2000 said:

That's stupid for me tho. A chart should be a scale on how popular the songs are. If the album tracks are popular, they should be on the chart.

!!!!

A very good rule. New Zealand led the way on this change after the Ed Sheeran mess.

I'm so sick of chart experts saying this is a bad rule. This is literally double dipping with the album chart and riding the popularity of an album to the top 10 of the singles chart. It's astoundingly unfair and I'm glad they're amending it.

Yes songs used to manage it via sales but that's a much more valid reason than to reward a specific song for being played in a collective piece.

Furthermore the rule was ruining albums. I'm sick of these 20 track "albums" being used to rack up streaming points and chart entries. 

Edited by Wonderland

5 hours ago, BadMonster said:

So if an artist releases a promo single and it charts in the top 10 cuz of downloads etc for a single week, then it costs an artist one of the three tracks that can chart from that album in the UK? :rip: 

No, it doesn't mean that only 3 songs from an album can ever chart, it means that only 3 songs that aren't singles can chart from an album during the same week. Theoretically, every song from an album could still chart as long as it is different weeks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.