UK chart rule change - only 3 album tracks can chart

Hector

This is literally stupid. :rip:

I see the older anti-streaming crowd whined hard enough.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fruity

• Communion

• Thickorita

• doonerr

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh. Drake, Bieber, and Ed songs are all throughout the charts because they are the most popular. This isn't going to represent what's the most popular in the UK anymore.

Hmm, kinda unnecessary. Yes, Ed was clogging up the charts, but after all his album tracks were selling and being streamed more than actual singles, so can't say it's undeserved. A Billboard recurrent tea.

It should be a singles chart. Not a songs chart. Same goes for the Hot 100

1 minute ago, doonerr said:

It should be a singles chart. Not a songs chart. Same goes for the Hot 100

Basically, but then how do you define a "single" ?

Just now, Marco_g2 said:

Basically, but then how do you define a "single" ?

Sent to radio

8 minutes ago, Fruity said:

Sorry but this is not what we want

"Supermarket flowers" should not be a top 10 hit in the UK

People were listening to the album as a whole, not that song as a single entity

_95027925_capture.jpg 

Supermarket Flowers was #14 on sales alone. :rip:

You're literally cutting out some of the most purchased and streamed songs by doing this.

Just now, Fruity said:

Sent to radio

So a song could be released as a promo track and take OFF like Dark Horse and Love Yourself, but it shouldn't chart no matter how high it should be if it isn't deemed yet as an official single in your view? :rip:

I don't know that to think about this rule, it seems to take away from credibility, but..... back in the day album sales didn't put all the album tracks on the singles chart either.

But see what happened the week Dutch famous rapper Boef released his album (same week as Drake released More Life) 

http://www.dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=s&date=20170325&year=2017

Just now, Communion said:

So a song could be released as a promo track and take OFF like Dark Horse and Love Yourself, but it shouldn't chart no matter how high it should be if it isn't deemed yet as an official single in your view? :rip:

No lol I wouldn't want that.

But in reality if something was taking off organically like Dark Horse + Love Yourself, they make it a single anyway so it's a non issue.

I don't think this rule is perfect! But like somebody said it is a singles chart, not a song chart.

DUMB RULE. Why should they not include songs if they are able to chart higher than other songs? Stupid. Billboard better take notes of how NOT to do it.

What if an album gets an official 4th single? (ex. Water Under The Bridge) 

4 minutes ago, Communion said:

What does that have to do with anything? They will chart as soon as they are out on radio, and they will have a sales advantage towards the other songs, since they were already doing so well without airplay exposure

Edited by doonerr

I think it's good. Like I didn't even hear One Dance until like a year after its release but it was apparently slaying the charts here. If I want to listen to the chart show on a Sunday evening, I don't want to listen to an Ed Sheeran album. I remember listening to the charts when Beiber was slaying and it was so monotonous. Let's see how good this is though. 

This is a dumb rule. They should just add airplay and video views to make it harder for album tracks to chart.

Not completely limit 3 songs at a time!

Just now, Marco_g2 said:

If all the four singles are charting, I think it won't be charting until it's higher than 3rd biggest single atm

Eh. Drake, Bieber, and Ed songs are all throughout the charts because they are the most popular. This isn't going to represent what's the most popular in the UK anymore.

1 minute ago, Marco_g2 said:

All the singles are eligible to chart. Just not album tracks. There's a difference

5 minutes ago, Fruity said:

No lol I wouldn't want that.

But in reality if something was taking off organically like Dark Horse + Love Yourself, they make it a single anyway so it's a non issue.

I don't think this rule is perfect! But like somebody said it is a singles chart, not a song chart.

And in the age of streaming, the public choose the singles. :cm:

This is literally old people complaining because of a technology gap making their tastes even more irrelevant and wanting everything on the chart to be attached to some CD-single.

Again, Ed's songs ALSO charted due to sales alone.

1. Shape Of You
3. Galway Girl
4. Castle On The Hill
7. Perfect
14. Supermarket Flowers
17. How Would You Feel?
21. Dive
24. Happier
30. New Man
31. Nancy Mulligan
37. What Do I Know
39. Save Myself
40. Barcelona
42. Bibia Be Ye Ye
50. Hearts Don’t Break Around Here

That's the sales-only chart. By this rule, everything bold would have be banned from charting. The #14 most purchased song would be blocked from the chart. So what's the point in the chart then? It literally incentivizes people to not buy songs anymore if their purchases are banned from a chart by arbitrary reasoning.

Edited by Communion

The UK charts are becoming a huge mess

First their SPS formula for the album chart, now this :ace:

Stupid rule. They should just include video streams...

So basically whichever three songs gets the most points they will chart.

Is this only for the release week of every week?

3 minutes ago, doonerr said:

All the singles are eligible to chart. Just not album tracks. There's a difference

What makes this difference? Airplay?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.