Is Brat one of the best pop eras of all time?

Just a Gay on ATRL

Yes :clap: 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PerfectCure

• Orsay

• RatGod

• Just a Gay on ATRL

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, PerfectCure said:

It reached people beyond her fanbase but didn't extend much beyond the internet. It's hard to explain... yes, it was huge, but you'd have to be online a lot to really notice the level of promotion it received.

And who is online? Everyone young. This album was relevant, atrl believing otherwise is just another proof of yall being out of touch

• Like 2

Yes. The nostalgia for 2024 will be all about brat when all is said and done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the chronically online? Sure. It doesn't have very much real world impact if you aren't in the music industry 

4 minutes ago, Orsay said:

And who is online? Everyone young. This album was relevant, atrl believing otherwise is just another proof of yall being out of touch

Babe I'm young :rip: An album's aesthetic being popularized on the internet does not automatically make it one of the best pop eras of all time, pls be serious :deadbanana4:

• Like 1

Cam down :rip:

No one cares about it outside chronically online people

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PerfectCure said:

Babe I'm young :rip: An album's aesthetic being popularized on the internet does not automatically make it one of the best pop eras of all time, pls be serious :deadbanana4:

I'll grant you that the "of all time" part is too much, but I don't think something being "only popular online" works as a drag anymore. Pretty much everyone is online now and what's online is what's the most relevant; a better case would be to say that it isn't popular outside of girls and gays, which is kinda true but also applies to just about every female pop star

• Like 1

No iconic performances

No iconic music videos

No hits

Just memes

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Honestly at some point I think the aesthetics and memes kind of outshone the music, which is supposed be the important thing in the first place. She has done things very well and been very smart about the popularity, though.

The album is not popular and is not doing great numbers so no. 

5 minutes ago, Orsay said:

I'll grant you that the "of all time" part is too much, but I don't think something being "only popular online" works as a drag anymore. Pretty much everyone is online now and what's online is what's the most relevant; a better case would be to say that it isn't popular outside of girls and gays, which is kinda true but also applies to just about every female pop star

I disagree though. There can still be widely popular music eras that don't just stay confined to internet niches, take Olivia's SOUR or Adele's pre-30 hype with Easy On Me. That kind of popularity gets talked about even by people outside the usual online spaces. Hadn't it been for Twitter or TikTok, Charli XCX would still be mentioned as much as she was before 2024. :michael:

And honestly why not mention numbers lol? This is a music project after all. I'm looking at her Spotify page and noticing her most streamed song currently is Guess (with Billie Eilish) having 255 million streams. Apple (a TikTok viral hit with its own dance) is barely pushing 200 million. This is a decent performance at best.

1 hour ago, RatGod said:

Probably the best in recent history. People love to say that "it's just a twitter thing" or "it never left the internet" when it's not true. As someone above me said, ask Obama.

Everything just went right this era, the music was good, people connected with it instantly. Charli also helped keep it interesting, the boiler room sets caught a lot of people's attention and made people want more. Idk if im putting it into the right words, but it feels like the first organic hit era in a long time.

Also feels refreshing in an era where artists really only make an era last a week or two, or do sporadic things over 6 months but disappear otherwise for an artist to properly promote the album.

Right. Even some of my straight friends who never listens to "gay" music notice the existence of BRAT and ask about my green pfp, asking if it's related to BRAT, and saying how they like Von Dutch, 360, Guess, and ofc Apple.

No

1 hour ago, CherryBay said:

I mean is not even the best pop era of 2024 let alone of all time. 

name the better ones

Yes, as a cult classic with a massive impact on the mainstream pop scene to come.

For those of us that find ourselves online often I think it feels very impactful. 

Yes 

Absolutely 

There is a brat era? The only era known to the public this year is Short n sweet era

Edited by folkhoe

4 hours ago, PerfectCure said:

It reached people beyond her fanbase but didn't extend much beyond the internet. It's hard to explain... yes, it was huge, but you'd have to be online a lot to really notice the level of promotion it received.

I mean that's Charli's fanbase (myself included): terminally online people

Most non-internet people have no idea that 'brat' relates to an album

3 hours ago, RatGod said:

As someone above me said, ask Obama.

Ask Obama's intern*

You know Obama's ass is not actually listening to 365 and bopping to "should we do a little key, should we do a little line," PLEASE be serious

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.