Name one singer you tried to like but you just couldn't

Kimmo

taylor swift - too white & plain jane for me.

folklore & red are nice tho

:clack:

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Iceland

• Kimmo

• JoeAg

• 4th Time Around

Taylor Swift -- I figured since half the world is obsessed with this woman's every move, there must be something there that I'm not seeing. But I still can't see it. Nothing about her is particularly intriguing to make her the biggest pop star of my lifetime. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

Dev, Natalia Kills, Billie, Olivia, Bonnie McKee, Halsey. I like some of them as people, I just couldn't get into their discographies. :emofish:

8 minutes ago, Devin said:

i-

Will try again to get into some deepcuts when I have the patience

ES4egIHXsAUtxo7.jpg

• Like 1

Garth Brooks in 2013-2014. According to my former Lastfm account, I listened to 11 of his albums (or maybe that's his entire discography) and only liked 5 songs in total as they're the only songs I've scrobbled more than once. And I don't even remember any of these songs. :skull:

Edited by Zaynsus

Charli XCX

Billie Eilish and Charli XCX, no matter how hard I try to listen to their music, it doesn't stick with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i've tried getting into lana several times and it never works but i still love the classiques :gaycat5:

Taylor Swift and Lana del Rey

Madonna

spacer.png

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Charli XCX post sucker

Janet Jackson :ninja:

47 minutes ago, $ebert said:

Taylor, I just don't get the appeal

I even watched her reputation tour on Netflix with my best friend, she's a swiftie but I got so bored.

Literally...I guess I'm not white enough

• Haha 2

Olivia rodrigo, lorde, Halsey, basically any of the women singing with that awful avocadis, indie girl, "singing in cursive" sounding voice. Pronounce the ends of your goddamn words correctly and stop being so breathy 

• Thanks 2

Lady Gaga

Janet Jackson

Sabrina Carpenter 

Olivia Rodrigo

Shawn Mendes

Chappell Roan

Charlie xcx

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Aristede said:

Taylor Swift -- I figured since half the world is obsessed with this woman's every move, there must be something there that I'm not seeing. But I still can't see it. Nothing about her is particularly intriguing to make her the biggest pop star of my lifetime. 

She has a couple bops, like 5-6 songs but I still cannot get how people worship her like crazy. Same for those 40yo gays with Gaga, I don't see something phenomenal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Anything Taylor has done after Reputation. I can't get into. not into folk stuff  (I liked Maroon & Lavender Haze tho)

Olivia Rodrigo

Bruno

Chappell Roan

Michael Jackson 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Have you even tried to listen to an artist hoping to like them or their music and you just couldn't? 

Who was it? 

I was gonna make this thread two days ago but thought it already existed and just couldn't find it lol

Anhway, I'd say Jennifer Hudson. She's massively talented but idk what it is that I can't get into her. When Aretha Franklin died, I delved into her discography and became an Aretha fan. Then JHud starred in the RESPECT film, my parents got me the vinyl of the soundtrack. It has zero replay value for me 😭

5 minutes ago, Alldeezy said:

Anything Taylor has done after Reputation. I can't get into. not into folk stuff  (I liked Maroon & Lavender Haze tho)

Olivia Rodrigo

Bruno

Chappell Roan

Michael Jackson 

For Chappell Roan, I'd say if you don't like her debut album, try to wait for her sophomore album. Everyone and their cousin hated Halsey when she debuted but then suddenly everyone loved her when her second came out. 

Mitski, I've only listened to Be The Cowboy once following the hype over "Nobody" and haven't really cared to listen to her newer albums since then. :michael:

9 minutes ago, itshyolee said:

The Beatles and Elvis.

I still don't know what tf was so special about them:suburban:

There's nothing special about Elvis, his career benefitted from anti blackness. Little Richard and Ray Charles are better.

OT: Cher. I like about 2 songs. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4th Time Around said:

Anybody who says that does not know what they are talking about

I love her music but it is experimental as hell and way too left field for your average indie listener because of the ambient nature and deliberate lack of traditional song structure in most cases.

Have You In My Wildnerness is proof that she can lean into more traditional pop and classical song structure if she actually wanted to but even that is very left field by the standards of someone who listens to most indie music 

see I totally agree with you! idk why they're always grouping her in with them 😭

the two I listened to (twice each) were Have You in My Wilderness and Loud City Song and I just didn't understand the appeal :katie: there was one song on HYiMW in particular that, as a songwriter, just frustrated me to no end because it had a repetitive ass coda but it wasn't catchy! it didn't like feel deserving of being repeated so much omfg I wanted to shut the album off both times I listened by the end of that song 

4 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

see I totally agree with you! idk why they're always grouping her in with them 😭

the two I listened to (twice each) were Have You in My Wilderness and Loud City Song and I just didn't understand the appeal :katie: there was one song on HYiMW in particular that, as a songwriter, just frustrated me to no end because it had a repetitive ass coda but it wasn't catchy! it didn't like feel deserving of being repeated so much omfg I wanted to shut the album off both times I listened by the end of that song 

Well at least we can agree on Weyes Blood and Perfume Genius because both of them are two of my favorite artists of all time 

LCD Soundsystem, ABBA, Adele.

Talented, just not for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.